Classic Playlists: Everyone can be happy

I’m not sure if there have been similar threads too this, but here’s another one if there have been. I believe I’ve heard that 343 was already discussing a classic playlist, but here are my thoughts on what it should be like. If you enjoy classic Halo and dislike the new changes or if you simply would enjoy playing both show your support.

Halo 4 Playlists

Free-for-all
Team Slayer
Objective
BTB
etc.
etc.

Classic

Classic 4v4
Classic BTB

The Classic 4v4 could also be split if popular enough into Classic Slayer and Classic Objective. They could also add a Classic Free-for-All if, again, it was wanted enough.

These classic playlists would have almost everything that wasn’t in Halo 2/3 stripped out and would provide a classic Halo experience for those like me who prefer it. Then everyone who is a fan of the Halo series can be happy, those who prefer the new style of gameplay and those who prefer the old. I will explain how I would want these classic playlists to work below. If you want Halo 4 to be popular and fun for everyone please show your support. Thanks!

The Gameplay
In terms of gameplay, imagine something like Halo 2 or 3 just with updated graphics, maps, and possibly a few exceptions. There would be no custom loudouts, no armor abilities, and no instant respawn. Since the maps may be designed around having sprint it may not be practical to not have it. This in my opinion would be a minor and acceptable compromise in order to have classic playlists to enjoy.

The Maps
The maps would need Forge variants made for these playlists. The drop-pod weapon spawns would not be present and the weapons would all spawn on the maps. As they are adding a lot more weapons than other Halo games, only certain ones would appear on the maps. Players would all spawn with the same weapons and would have to get other weapons from around the map. The starting weapons would most likely be the BR in most gametypes with some other variations depending on the gametype.

Conclusion
I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t want this to happen. It gives everyone what they want and no one has to settle or “adapt.” Please show your support if you agree and help get 343 to make this happen.

Playlist Fragmentation Concerns
Playlist fragmentation when a game has a healthy population is a tiny issue when compared to more important things like everyone playing what they want. For those who do not like the new Halo gameplay at all, the game would quickly become tedious and they would stop playing the game entirely if they couldn’t play what they wanted. This would have the same effect of lowering the games population and making fragmentation an actual issue. Even for people who like the new gameplay, if they also liked classic Halo gameplay they could switch between and have two different experiences in one game. This would keep the game fresh for them and help keep the population healthy as well as give 343 more long-term fans. Then in the event that it did become a problem 343 could simply make a quick update to the playlists and problem solved.

Fantastic idea, +1 on this. I’m so open to new gametypes and playstyle, but including some nostalgia would be amazing.

All your suggestions introduce is playlist fragmentation. Pass.

Playlist fragmentation doesn’t matter if the people playing in one may not play in the other even if the one they were in doesn’t exist. Playlist fragmentation is a tiny issue when compared to the actual gameplay that people prefer.

How can you expect to cram 50% of the halo population (everyone that hates the new additions) into two playlists. It’s not fair.

Like I said in my post I am one of those people and if the playlists were popular enough they could easily be expanded by 343.

No. We need as few playlists as possible. The number in Reach is ridiculous, and many aren’t even being used by more than a hundred people a day.

The reason that occurs in Reach is because the overall population of the game is extremely low. This only adds two playlists at first. That is not enough playlist fragmentation to matter at launch. Also for people who only like the classic gameplay the game would lose its fun factor fairly quickly and that segment of the population would stop playing anyway and have the same effect of lowering the population of the whole game. If 343 wants to retain as many fans as possible this is a good solution that can be altered by them if need be with a simple playlist update.

> Playlist fragmentation doesn’t matter if the people playing in one may not play in the other even if the one they were in doesn’t exist. Playlist fragmentation is a tiny issue when compared to the actual gameplay that people prefer.

Yes it does matter when you’re trying to find decent games. Bungie introduced classic slayer, and it never managed to get over 500 players. What is someone wants a mix of classic and default Halo 4. Is 343i going to have to create another playlist to cater to those people. You can’t please everyone. Players either take the game at face value or -Yoink- off.

I think this would be best and this way everyone can be happy and play the way they want to. I think there should be more playlists though. We should get classic team slayer, team objective, team snipers, team doubles and ffa and it should have a proper ranking system too.

I played the “Classic” playlist in Reach and it did not play like Classic Halo. It played like Reach with a few changes. The basic gameplay of Halo 4 is much more like Classic Halo than Reach ever was. Movement, jump height, and the ways the guns work are much more important than just remaking some old maps and throwing in reduced bloom.

I’m gonna get angry. Do not act like this is necessary, go play the -Yoink- previous installments if you oppose the changes. Nothings going to live up to your favorite anyway because you’re so close minded.

> > Playlist fragmentation doesn’t matter if the people playing in one may not play in the other even if the one they were in doesn’t exist. Playlist fragmentation is a tiny issue when compared to the actual gameplay that people prefer.
>
> Yes it does matter when you’re trying to find decent games. Bungie introduced classic slayer, and it never managed to get over 500 players. What is someone wants a mix of classic and default Halo 4. Is 343i going to have to create another playlist to cater to those people. You can’t please everyone. Players either take the game at face value or -Yoink!- off.

No actually it doesn’t matter at all and it makes perfect sense to split up the community so the more casual type players can play vanilla halo 4 and the more competitive players can have a more classic halo experience. It really doesn’t make sense how anybody could be against this. If you don’t want to play the more classic playlists that don’t. It’s that simple. There will always still be a ton of people playing vanilla halo 4.

I never said I was against the changes? I said I preferred the classic gameplay and I am still getting Halo 4, I just won’t play it as much as I have Halo 3 for example. Going back and just playing the previous games is not a viable solution, the populations are no longer high enough in Halo 3 to get enough games that are of good quality because the game is so old and the net code was never the best. As for Halo 2 well that’s even older and it is impossible to play it on console anymore since the servers were shut down. I don’t see why you would get angry? Do you not want other fans to be happy as well?

I’d like 4 classic playlists, and I really don’t care about population dispersal as long as I get to play what I want.

Classic FFA
Classic Slayer
Classic Objective
Classic BTB

> > Playlist fragmentation doesn’t matter if the people playing in one may not play in the other even if the one they were in doesn’t exist. Playlist fragmentation is a tiny issue when compared to the actual gameplay that people prefer.
>
> Yes it does matter when you’re trying to find decent games. Bungie introduced classic slayer, and it never managed to get over 500 players. What is someone wants a mix of classic and default Halo 4. Is 343i going to have to create another playlist to cater to those people. You can’t please everyone. Players either take the game at face value or -Yoink!- off.

The classic slayer gametype wasn’t popular because everyone wanted to try new gametypes that included armor abilities, but now…

OT: Sure, I’d love this.

> I never said I was against the changes? I said I preferred the classic gameplay and I am still getting Halo 4, I just won’t play it as much as I have Halo 3 for example. Going back and just playing the previous games is not a viable solution, the populations are no longer high enough in Halo 3 to get enough games that are of good quality because the game is so old and the net code was never the best. As for Halo 2 well that’s even older and it is impossible to play it on console anymore since the servers were shut down. I don’t see why you would get angry? Do you not want other fans to be happy as well?

It’s unnecessary and I don’t want to see the community fragment.

I think it’s funny that anybody would vote no. Even if I was a more casual player that like AA’s, random weapon drops and stuff like that I would’ve still voted yes.

I already posted a few times about why fragmentation doesn’t really matter so I won’t repeat myself, but I will say something new. The community is already fragmented, there are those who dislike the new changes or simply prefer how it used to be, those who like the changes, and those who would play either one. The ones who dislike the changes are less likely to keep playing the game for a long time and then the population in other playlists would still be the same as if those players were still around and just playing their own playlists.

the classic playlist in Reach was bad because it was horrible. same crappy dmr. no maps with that one vehicle to fight over, no ranked, etc… it felt nothing like halo 2 or 3 online.