Classic Halo wouldn't survive today's market

I don’t really understand why people say this. I have played many of the games in today’s market, and never once have a thought Halo needed to adapt to these things. Frankly, I never even thought Halo was getting old, especially since the developers allow for adequate time in between their sequels.

Different games of different genres exist, so why wouldn’t the traditional Halo multiplayer be able to compete with what is available now.

I doubt Halo 4 would get near half the sales it will if it remained classic Halo with no changes.

All these new features, if implemented properly, could be Halo’s saviour.

Just because you feel that way doesn’t mean that the people that make up the majority of today’s audience do.

> Just because you feel that way doesn’t mean that the people that make up the majority of today’s audience do.

The same could be said for the people who say the opposite.

> Just because you feel that way doesn’t mean that the people that make up the majority of today’s audience do.

If it was still the main focus, then you would see Halo-like games dominating the market, not the other way around.

> I doubt Halo 4 would get near half the sales it will if it remained classic Halo with no changes.
>
> All these new features, if implemented properly, could be Halo’s saviour.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I honestly believe that too many of these new features could spell the end for Halo.

Everything must evolve, from animals to technology to society. Halo is no different.

If Halo CE was released today with modern graphics, matchmaking, forge, theater, and spartan ops/firefight, I think it would do quite well.

You don’t seem to get that the competition is flashier and “better looking” than the classic Halo. People would think it looks like a boring run and gun kind of game with a good story.

> Everything must evolve, from animals to technology to society. Halo is no different.

Yes, but they evolve into something better. I personally don’t believe this change is necessarily the best for Halo.

> > Just because you feel that way doesn’t mean that the people that make up the majority of today’s audience do.
>
> The same could be said for the people who say the opposite.

Were it not for the fact that they have much more evidence then you. The games dominating today’s market are nothing like classic Halo, it would feel outdated to all the people that currently play COD.

And some people on these forums just can’t get that through their thick skulls!

> I personally don’t believe this change is necessarily the best for Halo.

Subjective opinion doesn’t make for objective fact.

If H4 released right now and it was a direct copy and paste of CE, critics would light it on fire about how it was ancient. If Bungie continued CEs success and just copied and pasted CE for H2, H3, ODST and Reach, Halo would be the copy and paste game, not CoD.

> > Just because you feel that way doesn’t mean that the people that make up the majority of today’s audience do.
>
> If it was still the main focus, then you would see Halo-like games dominating the market, not the other way around.

Exactly, look at the FPS market and all you see is one after another CoD wanabe with streaks and perks and everything, even Battlefield has fallen since they felt the need for more “cqc action” shudders
Just like Unreal and Quake, even CS 1.6 once dominated, so did Halo, but just like those grew old and stale, forgotten by everyone except the most loyal/hardcore fans, the same can be said for classic Halo. On todays market, you got to evolve and advance, offer everything the best selling series got and some new extras, or you’ll never make it. Remember, Halo 4 got to sell at least 9 million copies for MS to be happy, I would say they expect at least 10+ millions, thanks to the 60+ million 360 owners.

> > > Just because you feel that way doesn’t mean that the people that make up the majority of today’s audience do.
> >
> > The same could be said for the people who say the opposite.
>
> Were it not for the fact that they have much more evidence then you. The games dominating today’s market are nothing like classic Halo, it would feel outdated to all the people that currently play COD.

Outdated? No, simply unfamiliar, unless they’ve also played all the previous Halos. This is why all the CoD like elements are being added superficially to H4, to make it more familiar to the common gamer who plays CoD all day.

> > > Just because you feel that way doesn’t mean that the people that make up the majority of today’s audience do.
> >
> > If it was still the main focus, then you would see Halo-like games dominating the market, not the other way around.
>
> Exactly, look at the FPS market and all you see is one after another CoD wanabe with streaks and perks and everything, even Battlefield has fallen since they felt the need for more “cqc action” shudders
> Just like Unreal and Quake, even CS 1.6 once dominated, so did Halo, but just like those grew old and stale, forgotten by everyone except the most loyal/hardcore fans, the same can be said for classic Halo. On todays market, you got to evolve and advance, offer everything the best selling series got and some new extras, or you’ll never make it. Remember, Halo 4 got to sell at least 9 million copies for MS to be happy, I would say they expect at least 10+ millions, thanks to the 60+ million 360 owners.

This isn’t evolving. Evolving would be creating unique game mechanics that would replace CoD. Instead, this is simply following the fad in hopes the CoD players feel more at home when trying out Halo (instead of running away out of fear of something different than CoD)

> >
> > The same could be said for the people who say the opposite.
>
> Were it not for the fact that they have much more evidence then you. The games dominating today’s market are nothing like classic Halo, it would feel outdated to all the people that currently play COD.

Maybe it would feel like something new to them. Also, they would feel like they are playing more of the same if they played the new Halo after CoD.

> > > > Just because you feel that way doesn’t mean that the people that make up the majority of today’s audience do.
> > >
> > > The same could be said for the people who say the opposite.
> >
> > Were it not for the fact that they have much more evidence then you. The games dominating today’s market are nothing like classic Halo, it would feel outdated to all the people that currently play COD.
>
> Outdated? No, simply unfamiliar, unless they’ve also played all the previous Halos. This is why all the CoD like elements are being added superficially to H4, to make it more familiar to the common gamer who plays CoD all day.

Classic Halo wouldn’t have as much content such as armor mods and AAs, which would make most COD players, who are used to having a ton of stuff, even thought it is unbalanced, to play with. This is why 343i is advertising Halo 4 with all these new features, but also including a Classic playlist that features none of the armor mods and AAs and such. All Classic Halo would feel like to the COD players is a stripped down version of what they’re used to, and judging by the many COD players I know of and have seen, they would not like that.

> Everything must evolve, from animals to technology to society. Halo is no different.

Hint Combat Evolved

Halo would be a lot like Monster Hunter. (If u ever played.)

This game is one of the best seller psp games in Japan and has a huge fanbase. Everytime a new game comes out, millions get the newest installment. Capcom tries to make the game global with it’s success, the game sells 1/4 in the rest of the world then it did in Japan alone.

It would be the exact same with Halo. The fanbase would buy it, but the rest of the world who never played Halo before would think it sucks (Or atleast doesn’t appeal) compared to these other games. Halo would then die out and not have lasted as long as it has.

> > > > > Just because you feel that way doesn’t mean that the people that make up the majority of today’s audience do.
> > > >
> > > > The same could be said for the people who say the opposite.
> > >
> > > Were it not for the fact that they have much more evidence then you. The games dominating today’s market are nothing like classic Halo, it would feel outdated to all the people that currently play COD.
> >
> > Outdated? No, simply unfamiliar, unless they’ve also played all the previous Halos. This is why all the CoD like elements are being added superficially to H4, to make it more familiar to the common gamer who plays CoD all day.
>
> Classic Halo wouldn’t have as much content such as armor mods and AAs, which would make most COD players, who are used to having a ton of stuff, even thought it is unbalanced, to play with. This is why 343i is advertising Halo 4 with all these new features, but also including a Classic playlist that features none of the armor mods and AAs and such. All Classic Halo would feel like to the COD players is a stripped down version of what they’re used to, and judging by the many COD players I know of and have seen, they would not like that.

They can add more features just so long as it is still an arena shooter like the previous Halos.