Choosing AR over DMR/BR every time...

Lately I’ve been using almost exclusively the AR and occasionally the pistol as well since I have the commendations for the DMR and BR maxed and I want the Loadout Mastery. What I’ve found has been almost astonishing. My K/D (which wasn’t bad to begin with) has been going up instead of down! And I’ve been playing Dominion and Crimson DLC which are both big team oriented playlists.

My k/d during these games with just the AR has been around 2.0 almost every time. At first I was breaking even or worse with the stupid gun. But then as I started to get a feel for how and when and where it works, I drastically changed my playstyle to match the weapon. And no, I’m not camping. I’m running and gunning actually using a jetpack and extra frags. I’ve found several sweet tactics to taking precision weapon players down. The rest of this post is for those who want to find good ways of being effective players with the AR without murdering their K/D. I hope it helps.

These include (for those interested in progressing your AR commendations) using the jetpack effectively. Do this by luring enemies around corners by intentionally showing up on their radar. Then when they come to round the corner, jetpack just above their line of sight. They’ll be coming around looking at eye level. You’ll get a quarter of a clip in them before they get a bead on you.

Also, when you need to recover shields and you are being pursued, use frags as breadcrumbs as you run for cover. This will dissuade potential pursuers and keep them at bay or take their shields out for you to finish them off.

Also, use the AR as an ambush weapon. Get to the middle of the map or other heavily trafficked areas and manipulate the enemies radar to both lure them in when you want them to know where to come looking and then crouching when you want to relocate to a blindspot as they approach.

Anyways, I hope this is helpful for others who don’t want to destroy their K/D by trying to rack up AR kills for the Commendation. Best of luck to you all.

Great post. Thanks for the tips!

Yes I love the AR, it’s the first weapon I received the Master Commendation for.
I love how they actually made this weapon actually useful as a primary.

> Great post. Thanks for the tips!

Thanks for the encouragement and not flame, which usually is the response.

I kept vids of good games with the AR if anyone is interested in seeing these tactics played out.

That’s because it’s ridiculously powerful for the little skill it takes to use it.

Because the amount of magnetism on it is astonishing.

> That’s because it’s ridiculously powerful for the little skill it takes to use it.

Gotta say you’re one of the first to say this that I’ve seen. Most people flame on about the overpowered precision weapons. I would have to disagree with you. Using it effectively takes lots of practice and focus. One who doesn’t use it well can easily blow through an entire clip without killing anything and then get offed during their reload.

> That’s because it’s ridiculously powerful for the little skill it takes to use it.

I beg to differ. As a noob, I first started out using it and got murdered A LOT. You are wrong! It does take some skill to use.

> > That’s because it’s ridiculously powerful for the little skill it takes to use it.
>
> Gotta say you’re one of the first to say this that I’ve seen. Most people flame on about the overpowered precision weapons. I would have to disagree with you. Using it effectively takes lots of practice and focus. One who doesn’t use it well can easily blow through an entire clip without killing anything and then get offed during their reload.

Hmm, I’ve never had any problems using automatics. I always get those challenges easily. That’s the only time I ever use automatics too. I still disagree. It gets really annoying when I’m fighting a guy and he just runs straight at me with an AR and gets a free kill, seeing as I can’t do anything when he does this.

Also I do agree that the DMR is a bit overpowered. It needs some sort of tweeking.

> T3h Man n Locke;20332r94]That’s because it’s ridiculously powerful for the little skill it takes to use it.

Uh oh, we got a super-pro super-magnet auto-assist DMR user in here.

Precision weapons are easy. Aiming in the general direction of the enemy’s head and mashing the R trigger isn’t hard. Learning to position yourself with only a close range weapon isn’t easy.

The Suppressor doesn’t suck, people just don’t have any positioning skill.

And before you call me an “AR noob” or something else, my top weapon is the Light Rifle.

> > That’s because it’s ridiculously powerful for the little skill it takes to use it.
>
> I beg to differ. As a noob, I first started out using it and got murdered A LOT. You are wrong! It does take some skill to use.

Yup, my wife started using it first and got murdered a ton. Now she plays decently well with the BR, a much more forgiving weapon.

And on the MAGNETISM post, that’s all good and dandy if you’re fighting AFK players, but I tend to encounter more people who move.

> That’s because it’s ridiculously powerful for the little skill it takes to use it.

I agree. This gun dominates maps like Haven, and adrift were everything is close. I’ve even began using it on those maps because of how easy it is to get a kill with it.

> > T3h Man n Locke;20332r94]That’s because it’s ridiculously powerful for the little skill it takes to use it.
>
> Uh oh, we got a super-pro super-magnet auto-assist DMR user in here.
>
> Precision weapons are easy. Aiming in the general direction of the enemy’s head and mashing the R trigger isn’t hard. Learning to position yourself with only a close range weapon isn’t easy.
>
> The Suppressor doesn’t suck, people just don’t have any positioning skill.
>
> And before you call me an “AR noob” or something else, my top weapon is the Light Rifle.

All you have to do is aim at their body and hold the right trigger. Extremely easy.

Like I said in my post before this, the DMR DOES need tweeking. It’s magnetism is too powerful, but it still takes more skill than the automatics.

> > That’s because it’s ridiculously powerful for the little skill it takes to use it.
>
> I agree. This gun dominates maps like Haven, and adrift were everything is close. I’ve even began using it on those maps because of how easy it is to get a kill with it.

I actually stopped using it on Haven because people tend to break even or worse with it because of the lack of cover. You can get one kill before you have to reload and then you’re a sitting duck (more often than not).

I’ve found Haven to be dominated by the BR.

> > > T3h Man n Locke;20332r94]That’s because it’s ridiculously powerful for the little skill it takes to use it.
> >
> > Uh oh, we got a super-pro super-magnet auto-assist DMR user in here.
> >
> > Precision weapons are easy. Aiming in the general direction of the enemy’s head and mashing the R trigger isn’t hard. Learning to position yourself with only a close range weapon isn’t easy.
> >
> > The Suppressor doesn’t suck, people just don’t have any positioning skill.
> >
> > And before you call me an “AR noob” or something else, my top weapon is the Light Rifle.
>
> All you have to do is aim at their body and hold the right trigger. Extremely easy.
>
> Like I said in my post before this, the DMR DOES need tweeking. It’s magnetism is too powerful, but it still takes more skill than the automatics.

No, it really doesn’t. All you have to do is aim at the enemies head which has a massive hitbox, and you don’t even need to be constantly on them because of the delay between shots.

People consider the railgun hard, yet it basically requires the exact same aim type (tracking) that automatics do.

Automatics are also easily taken out beyond their effective range. They have to manage to close in on the enemy without dying. If you are winning because you w+m1 then something is wrong with the enemy team.

Don’t bring up “in theory” either, we are talking about how the game IS. The only loadout weapon requiring even a tiny bit of aiming ability is the Light Rifle, which no one uses for that exact reason.

> Lately I’ve been using almost exclusively the AR and occasionally the pistol as well since I have the commendations for the DMR and BR maxed and I want the Loadout Mastery. What I’ve found has been almost astonishing. My K/D (which wasn’t bad to begin with) has been going up instead of down! And I’ve been playing Dominion and Crimson DLC which are both big team oriented playlists.
>
> My k/d during these games with just the AR has been around 2.0 almost every time. At first I was breaking even or worse with the stupid gun. But then as I started to get a feel for how and when and where it works, I drastically changed my playstyle to match the weapon. And no, I’m not camping. I’m running and gunning actually using a jetpack and extra frags. I’ve found several sweet tactics to taking precision weapon players down. The rest of this post is for those who want to find good ways of being effective players with the AR without murdering their K/D. I hope it helps.
>
> These include (for those interested in progressing your AR commendations) using the jetpack effectively. Do this by luring enemies around corners by intentionally showing up on their radar. Then when they come to round the corner, jetpack just above their line of sight. They’ll be coming around looking at eye level. You’ll get a quarter of a clip in them before they get a bead on you.
>
> Also, when you need to recover shields and you are being pursued, use frags as breadcrumbs as you run for cover. This will dissuade potential pursuers and keep them at bay or take their shields out for you to finish them off.
>
> Also, use the AR as an ambush weapon. Get to the middle of the map or other heavily trafficked areas and manipulate the enemies radar to both lure them in when you want them to know where to come looking and then crouching when you want to relocate to a blindspot as they approach.
>
> Anyways, I hope this is helpful for others who don’t want to destroy their K/D by trying to rack up AR kills for the Commendation. Best of luck to you all.

Glad to see someone else is noticing this ive been using AR since release and doing pretty well with it against BR and DMR.

> > > > T3h Man n Locke;20332r94]That’s because it’s ridiculously powerful for the little skill it takes to use it.
> > >
> > > Uh oh, we got a super-pro super-magnet auto-assist DMR user in here.
> > >
> > > Precision weapons are easy. Aiming in the general direction of the enemy’s head and mashing the R trigger isn’t hard. Learning to position yourself with only a close range weapon isn’t easy.
> > >
> > > The Suppressor doesn’t suck, people just don’t have any positioning skill.
> > >
> > > And before you call me an “AR noob” or something else, my top weapon is the Light Rifle.
> >
> > All you have to do is aim at their body and hold the right trigger. Extremely easy.
> >
> > Like I said in my post before this, the DMR DOES need tweeking. It’s magnetism is too powerful, but it still takes more skill than the automatics.
>
> No, it really doesn’t. All you have to do is aim at the enemies head which has a massive hitbox, and you don’t even need to be constantly on them because of the delay between shots.
>
> People consider the railgun hard, yet it basically requires the exact same aim type (tracking) that automatics do.
>
> Automatics are also easily taken out beyond their effective range. They have to manage to close in on the enemy without dying. If you are winning because you w+m1 then something is wrong with the enemy team.
>
> Don’t bring up “in theory” either, we are talking about how the game IS. The only loadout weapon requiring even a tiny bit of aiming ability is the Light Rifle, which no one uses for that exact reason.

You make a good point about not having to keep the reticle on the enemy at all times with the DMR. With auto weapons like the AR you have to be really good at keeping that reticle on your enemy constantly. If you don’t, you’ll have to reload before they’re dead which is never a good thing.

It’s a threat now, and I find myself in a situation that calls for me to use it in pretty much every game I play.

Thanks for the tips, BTW.

> > > > T3h Man n Locke;20332r94]That’s because it’s ridiculously powerful for the little skill it takes to use it.
> > >
> > > Uh oh, we got a super-pro super-magnet auto-assist DMR user in here.
> > >
> > > Precision weapons are easy. Aiming in the general direction of the enemy’s head and mashing the R trigger isn’t hard. Learning to position yourself with only a close range weapon isn’t easy.
> > >
> > > The Suppressor doesn’t suck, people just don’t have any positioning skill.
> > >
> > > And before you call me an “AR noob” or something else, my top weapon is the Light Rifle.
> >
> > All you have to do is aim at their body and hold the right trigger. Extremely easy.
> >
> > Like I said in my post before this, the DMR DOES need tweeking. It’s magnetism is too powerful, but it still takes more skill than the automatics.
>
> No, it really doesn’t. All you have to do is aim at the enemies head which has a massive hitbox, and you don’t even need to be constantly on them because of the delay between shots.
>
> People consider the railgun hard, yet it basically requires the exact same aim type (tracking) that automatics do.
>
> Automatics are also easily taken out beyond their effective range. They have to manage to close in on the enemy without dying. If you are winning because you w+m1 then something is wrong with the enemy team.
>
> Don’t bring up “in theory” either, we are talking about how the game IS. The only loadout weapon requiring even a tiny bit of aiming ability is the Light Rifle, which no one uses for that exact reason.

So a tiny head with a small reticule is easier to hit than a large body with a medium sized reticule? No, I don’t think so. I’m not using “theory” either. I’ve used both automatics and precision weapons. Automatics are sooooo easy to use. I destroy with them. No, it’s not hard to get in close like you try to make it out to be.

Sorry dude, everybody I know thinks you automatic users are some the biggest noobs in the game. Right after boltshot campers.

Well, getting a high K/D in BTB if you’re remotely intelligent is easy as killing a Grunt. I can see how the AR is good in Dominion though, just pick a base and camp in it all game.