Children and Gaming, is it a problem?

I am a 14 year old student, and I am working on a little Op-Ed for ELA. What I chose for my topic is… Children and gaming, as in… There is too much kids playing games like COD (obviously), Halo, Battlefield (Hard to believe, I know… But I met too many already!), GTA V, and etc. I decided to put a little poll up here because I believe the Halo community might have an opinion on this subject considering the amount of adults, teenagers, and those who are already parents, that play this game series. I would appreciate anyone who comes upon this topic and show their opinion on this topic.

To anyone who does reply or insert their thoughts into the poll/survey/discussion, I would like to thank you for helping me.

UPDATE: Thanks for the replies folks! Yes, moderation is important and I should definitely put that into my Op-Ed.

UPDATE 2: My god, thanks for keeping on the discussion! Also, should I include that games help with hand eye coordination? Yes or no?

As a father of 2 boys (6 and 3) I allow my son to play the games I play. I think if has helped his alertness and hand/eye coordination.
Some say he’s too young to play, but I never let him use a MIC, I always mute the lobby and I am ALWAYS there when he plays a game.

He completely wrecked my SWAT standing for this season (Bronze… awesome!) but listening to him get excited when he plays is worth it.

He even scored in Griffball yesterday!

TL;DR
As long as kids are supervised and don’t scream in to the MIC, I think it’s fine for them to play.

> 2713552811194443;2:
> As a father of 2 boys (6 and 3) I allow my son to play the games I play. I think if has helped his alertness and hand/eye coordination.
> Some say he’s too young to play, but I never let him use a MIC, I always mute the lobby and I am ALWAYS there when he plays a game.
>
> He completely wrecked my SWAT standing for this season (Bronze… awesome!) but listening to him get excited when he plays is worth it.
>
> He even scored in Griffball yesterday!
>
> TL;DR
> As long as kids are supervised and don’t scream in to the MIC, I think it’s fine for them to play.

My 8 year old brother started playing as well. I also have him mute the lobby but its awesome because…

I am forced to not care about stats, just fun.
He gets me a ridiculous amount of REQ points. If you look at my stats people say I play too much but, not really, its a combined effort. He helped me get my favorite armor quickly and other cool stuff, got the Halo 2 BR as well, all without spending any real money.

He loves every bit of it.

> 2533274891841289;3:
> > 2713552811194443;2:
> > As a father of 2 boys (6 and 3) I allow my son to play the games I play. I think if has helped his alertness and hand/eye coordination.
> > Some say he’s too young to play, but I never let him use a MIC, I always mute the lobby and I am ALWAYS there when he plays a game.
> >
> > He completely wrecked my SWAT standing for this season (Bronze… awesome!) but listening to him get excited when he plays is worth it.
> >
> > He even scored in Griffball yesterday!
> >
> > TL;DR
> > As long as kids are supervised and don’t scream in to the MIC, I think it’s fine for them to play.
>
>
> My 8 year old brother started playing as well. I also have him mute the lobby but its awesome because…
>
> I am forced to not care about stats, just fun.
> He gets me a ridiculous amount of REQ points. If you look at my stats people say I play too much but, not really, its a combined effort. He helped me get my favorite armor quickly and other cool stuff, got the Halo 2 BR as well, all without spending any real money.
>
> He loves every bit of it.

Exactly! As long as they’re playing by the rules (if I hear “Betrayal” announced, I ask him what happened and tell him to watch out for his team) and not messing up the game for anyone else, I let him enjoy it. There are times I have to step in to get our team back to a “good” spot.

He was so bummed when I told him Halo 5 had no split screen.

As long as they’re not screaming in their shrill voice down mic and team killing, since they think team killing is trolling, then I’m fine with them.

They bought it, they have a right to play it.

I’ve found it to be that most gamers I meet are adults.

On Halo I don’t think so. But On CoD I hear so much smack talk… or at least I did? It’s been a year or two since I played a CoD game.

> 2713552811194443;4:
> > 2533274891841289;3:
> > > 2713552811194443;2:
> > > As a father of 2 boys (6 and 3) I allow my son to play the games I play. I think if has helped his alertness and hand/eye coordination.
> > > Some say he’s too young to play, but I never let him use a MIC, I always mute the lobby and I am ALWAYS there when he plays a game.
> > >
> > > He completely wrecked my SWAT standing for this season (Bronze… awesome!) but listening to him get excited when he plays is worth it.
> > >
> > > He even scored in Griffball yesterday!
> > >
> > > TL;DR
> > > As long as kids are supervised and don’t scream in to the MIC, I think it’s fine for them to play.
> >
> >
> > My 8 year old brother started playing as well. I also have him mute the lobby but its awesome because…
> >
> > I am forced to not care about stats, just fun.
> > He gets me a ridiculous amount of REQ points. If you look at my stats people say I play too much but, not really, its a combined effort. He helped me get my favorite armor quickly and other cool stuff, got the Halo 2 BR as well, all without spending any real money.
> >
> > He loves every bit of it.
>
>
> Exactly! As long as they’re playing by the rules (if I hear “Betrayal” announced, I ask him what happened and tell him to watch out for his team) and not messing up the game for anyone else, I let him enjoy it. There are times I have to step in to get our team back to a “good” spot.
>
> He was so bummed when I told him Halo 5 had no split screen.

Same. I make sure he isn’t ruining peoples experience or getting me banned.

Too bad there is no splitscreen.

If I had kids I would want them to play the same games I do. I wouldn’t let them play GTA but I would defiantly let them play Halo with me. Most likely just be together or with friends. I wish that people would be nicer to younger gamers and a little more considerate of what they say to them though. It is a shame that adults today feel no responsibility to set examples for younger people anymore. Use to it didn’t matter if it was your kid or a strangers, you behaved yourself around them and set good examples. Now you see people bullying and teasing kids and saying horrible things while they are on. I wouldn’t want my children around that. So the game isn’t the problem for kids, it is the adults who are.

> 2684735135014023;6:
> They bought it, they have a right to play it.

Depending on the age, they most likely wouldn’t have bought it TinMan.

If I was to have kids (shocker) I wouldn’t allow them to use a mic, and would mute the lobby. It’s not a pleasant experience hearing a young child screaming his lungs out and saying very grotesque and crude words. But, it seems there are parents who do understand that they have to watch their kids, and so I give Kudos to you Evilbrothers4 and theR3AP3R.

Children playing M-rated games are fine to me. Moderation is a major thing, as others have said before. But if you’ve got 7-year olds playing GTA, you might have a bit of a problem.

I think it largely depends on the child. Some children can handle m rated games fine, others will react badly the same as adults. I would say that most of them should not be given mics or allowed to hear some of the nonsense spouted on live.

when I was a child I had no real alertness and hand/eye coordination and gaming helped me. I have a 4 year Daughter and she has just started playing game. I don’t let her play the game I play but yes playing games has helped her alertness and hand/eye coordination ect in so many ways. I hope this helps you in some way

> 2713552811194443;2:
> As a father of 2 boys (6 and 3) I allow my son to play the games I play. I think if has helped his alertness and hand/eye coordination.
> Some say he’s too young to play, but I never let him use a MIC, I always mute the lobby and I am ALWAYS there when he plays a game.
>
> He completely wrecked my SWAT standing for this season (Bronze… awesome!) but listening to him get excited when he plays is worth it.
>
> He even scored in Griffball yesterday!
>
> TL;DR
> As long as kids are supervised and don’t scream in to the MIC, I think it’s fine for them to play.

I agree with this, the problem arises because there arent enough parents supervising their kids. I know Xbox is the greates babysitter, but you would not believe the nonsence I’ve encountered in public CoD, halo and GTA lobbies. Two thumbs up for this guy for being a responsible parent!

I think children playing games is fun! :smiley: ( I am fifteen)

The ratings are there for a reason. So as long as they watch / play games that they are allowed to watch / play by law, its okay. I say if you are 13 or 14, you’re okay with going with more mature games but if you are not even 12 and you play GTA 5 - that’s a no-no.

Halo 5 is a teen game

I am an older brother of a seven year old, i´m only 17, and I just recently, convinced my brother to start playing Halo with me. He´s got his own online account, only to hang out with me online though he is in a room close to mine. We play Co-op on the old old Halo games (H1-3), and he loves it!

I just don’t understand why Halo 5 is rated Teen…I NEED MORE BLOOD AND GORE AND CURSE WORDS!!!

But in all seriousness, if I HAD to pick an age. I would say that most 12 years old and up are ready to play Mature rated video games. I DO believe that it is the parents that still get to make that call though.

So my answer is: Not Really.