Chief's Armor Looks Dope, but...

So firstly, nice work 343, our boy look good…real good. Also, fantastic trailer, the hype is real. (But also I’m happy to see some genuine heart, even in just a trailer. Gives me hope it’ll be a contender for “best campaign/story.”) And, nice touch with the shield sound.

But…

I think his shoulder pauldrons might stick out laterally like an inch to far. It doesn’t look like it in every shot/angle, but it sometimes looks a bit like he has those “poofy shoulder bits” like on a teen girl’s prom dress from the 80’s, ya know? (And yes, I know I’m being nit picky.) What do ya’ll think?

Just thought I’d get my two cents in, since his new look is possibly the best he’s had yet. Here’s to a successful eventual launch, and to the hope that we get another proper outing for our boy!

p.s. just please no “slower-than-me-and-I’m-not-even-a-spartan fight’s/fighting styles.” Or any “gosh-dang-it-why-is-nobody-acting-like-this-guy-has-literally-saved-the-planet-multiple-times” moments. Ok by :wink:

Personally, I kinda like the giant shoulder pads. Makes him look really buff and bulky. Gives a sense of size if you know what I mean. I think of Spartans as being giants, none of that cheap Gen-2 paper-clip armor. Gen-1 MK VI armor looked better, but lost a sense of scale that was needed. Gen-3 is my favorite yet, seems to really show the size of the suit. Like how the entire Pelican shook when his armor dropped like a foot. All in all, 343 did a stellar job. NOW all they need to do is not mess up the Gen-3 MK IV.

> 2533274856493441;1:
> (And yes, I know I’m being nit picky.)

Yeah, you are, but I don’t mind. I enjoy discussions about Halo no matter how small they are.

So, his shoulders are an inch too long? That’s odd, considering that 343 is going back to the original art style. I wonder if it was an accident. I mean, I didn’t think about something so specific. Unless 343 thinks this is part of their plan to make their own experience with Halo, but… that’s probably over-thinking it. Honestly, I don’t mind the shoulders being too big.

Thanks for making this forum. lol.

Nothing wrong with nit picking. I like my share of fine detail as well. I honestly want Kelly’s hermes armor (if it’s still going to be called hermes) as shown in Halo Shadows of Reach’s cover art.

I honestly thought the larger shoulders were one of the few things 343 upgraded from previous halo designs. I like it. It is definitely 343’s twist on the shoulders… and I wholeheartedly approve of what they are trying to get at. At first glance i thought nothing of it. At further inspection and after comments from other people i noticed he seemed a bit bulkier as well… but had no opinion. After comparing it to previous designs… i certainly love this one more than halo 1-5 designs. And to explain it, 343 had plenty to say about their take on masterchief in halo 4 vidocs…

The intention IS to make him feel like a walking tank, square and strong… yet… agile. Thats why they placed the shoulderguards in halo 4 and 5 on the sides and sticking out… also free of motion from the rest of the upper arm… giving both that wide look…and allowing for mobility.
This halo infinite design combines those factors… while trying to look more familiar to what previous halo games have looked with respect to materchief.

A little other detail i noticed is the visor… The visor in halo 1-3 seemed rather wide and open… in contrast to the visor in 4-5 seeming more foused in comparision. The halo infinite trailer’s visor was certainly VERY focused looking… even more so than 4-5 … and I dig it.

But I certainly see your contention… and funny you say Prom dress… cuz that reminded me of the halo 3 eod shoulder guards XD .

I think the armour looks fantastic, for the most part, and it’s easily my favourite. However, we can still find flaws in the things we love.

I’m still not keen on the shade of the armour and the brown tones of the undersuit. I’ve seen edits such as this one that I much prefer (though the original visor is perfect, so ignore it in this example). The shade feels more realistic to me, as far as my immersion goes.

As for the shape of the armour, my only gripe is the chest piece. It looks too sleek in an area where armour would be thickest, and it conflicts with the geometric design of the shoulder guards and the armour in general. Having it thicker and less sloped would also draw a nice parallel to the Gen II Mk VI from Halo 5, and the Mjolnir armour from Reach, or even the Gen I Mk IV.

Other than these details, it just looks great.

While I do like it I’d rather the full classic art style

> 2535438636443468;2:
> Personally, I kinda like the giant shoulder pads. Makes him look really buff and bulky. Gives a sense of size if you know what I mean. I think of Spartans as being giants, none of that cheap Gen-2 paper-clip armor. Gen-1 MK VI armor looked better, but lost a sense of scale that was needed. Gen-3 is my favorite yet, seems to really show the size of the suit. Like how the entire Pelican shook when his armor dropped like a foot. All in all, 343 did a stellar job. NOW all they need to do is not mess up the Gen-3 MK IV.

I agree, but I think his “presence” speaks for itself. He already looks the biggest/bulkiest I think we’ve seen him yet (not just in total look, but his actual body under the suit as well.) So, as a result, the shoulder armor sticking out even more, I think is a small step too far. I mean, it seems like he’ll literally have to turn sideways to fit through any doorway he’ll come across haha.

While Spartans are objectively bigger than normal humans, at the end of the day, they are certainly not giants. Someone like Jorge is a standout. making them seem too big makes the match-up against an elite seem more “even” than asymmetrical, which I believe is more canon anyway, also more interesting (and all the more impressive when one beats an elite or brute.)

But that moment where the Pelican shakes is perfect. Details like that can be the stuff that best gives the true “presence” of a Spartan-II, I just think the shoulder pads come off as even MORE big/bulky than the rest, as in, they stand out too much.

> 2535419441797248;6:
> As for the shape of the armour, my only gripe is the chest piece. It looks too sleek in an area where armour would be thickest, and it conflicts with the geometric design of the shoulder guards and the armour in general.

Well thanks for pointing out another small detail to bug me that I hadn’t noticed haha.

However, since MK IV M.J.O.L.N.I.R is my favorite armor. It just occurred to me that MK IV has the biggest shoulder pads of the three main armors: MK IV, MK V, and MK VI. So it makes you wonder what the MK IV Gen 3’s shoulder pads are going to look like if they grew the MK VI’s shoulder pads so much. Lol!

I think the new chief model has a few proportion issues. His arms are stubby, his shoulders are wide but small, his chest doesn’t taper and he has no butt.

This makes him look bulky but out of shape.

The hali wars 2 cutscene models have better proportions.

You’re right, they are an inch too ‘poofy’.

this is a quick proportion fix i made ( with the red frame). i also did some color correction.

https://ibb.co/27hpJDW

> 2533274945422049;11:
> I think the new chief model has a few proportion issues. His arms are stubby, his shoulders are wide but small, his chest doesn’t taper and he has no butt.
>
> This makes him look bulky but out of shape.
>
> The hali wars 2 cutscene models have better proportions.

Remember they showed us this a year before the final game releases like in the first trailer of the engine where 343 had a more halo legends like master chief armor you can see in the helmet soooo I think 343 did already fix a little bit the proportions but honestly thought I have no complains at all with this armor design only on his chest armor could have a more drastic difference between chest and waist armor pieces

The shoulders probably seem so prominent because it’s a piece of customisation. Most of them also looked wide in Reach.

> 2535444131858297;14:
> > 2533274945422049;11:
> > I think the new chief model has a few proportion issues. His arms are stubby, his shoulders are wide but small, his chest doesn’t taper and he has no butt.
> >
> > This makes him look bulky but out of shape.
> >
> > The hali wars 2 cutscene models have better proportions.
>
> Remember they showed us this a year before the final game releases like in the first trailer of the engine where 343 had a more halo legends like master chief armor you can see in the helmet soooo I think 343 did already fix a little bit the proportions but honestly thought I have no complains at all with this armor design only on his chest armor could have a more drastic difference between chest and waist armor pieces

i ment the designs from the echo 216 trailer and the xbox series x reveal.

I like his new design as well, but I don’t have much issue with the large shoulder armor. It looks way better than the Halo 4-5 armor.

> 2533274866906624;17:
> I like his new design as well, but I don’t have much issue with the large shoulder armor. It looks way better than the Halo 4-5 armor.

I’d say Infinite armor looks better overall, but 4/5 definitely has it’s place. 4/5 has some of the best silhouettes and still frames.

I think the radically new look in Halo 4 was a departure from what everyone expected as the Chief’s established look. And the “nano-machines” excuse was poor at best. If they were to have instead, incorporated the GEN 2 aesthetic( techsuit design) as a mainline feature, they should’ve given Chief the Mk VI variant armor as a result. Thay way it wouldn’t be a huge difference goin from one game to the next. I actually like they way the Mk VI looks in H2A multiplayer, it had that old and new quality that was very refreshing but warming at the same time. And then in Halo 5, after the Chief comes back into the fold, give him the new GEN 2 system to show hes ready for a new kind of struggle.
Halo Infinite could have you start with his now battered suit, and after the first mission, he gets his new experimental GEN 3 as we see in the trailers. A progression of his suit’s evolution rather than the jump of radical diffrence we got.

Hindsight is 20/20 I know, but alot of everyone’s aversion is the huge difference from what we know, to what we now have.
Just my thoughts.

More ballistic protection