Chief vs. Arbiter

Master Chief vs. Arbiter(Thel Vadam) without weapons.

Discuss!

Obviously the Chief since he has killed thousands of elites without breaking a single bone.

But it would be an epic battle.

I think the chief would win.

But thel would break his arm before that happend.

It’s a tough one, but Chief. Thel might be physically stronger and will definitely be a VERY skilled fighter in hand to hand, but in the end it all comes down to reaction times/ speed.

We aren’t given any specifics about standard reaction times for Elites but seeing as Thel was such a high ranked Elite when he was part of the covenant and is a great fighter, he must have a pretty fast reaction time. That’s nothing compared to Chief who is three times faster than the average human without his Mjolnir. WITH his mjolnir, his reaction time is reduced considerably, so much so that Kelly described everything as moving in slow motion. Couple that with his nigh unbreakable bones and EXTREMELY durable armour and fighting prowess, and Thel doesn’t really have a chance.

@Luke Del

An Elite Major still hands him his -Yoink- in a sword fight. Also, so what if Master Chief has several times the reaction speed of an average human, Thel isn’t even an average Elite. This is the guy that killed 3 assassins while half asleep. I doubt he rose to his position being slow and clumsy.

Depends, if its cole protocol thel, then John would win. If its post halo 3 thel, then arbiter, he has learned to set aside his pride during combat by this time, so he won’t just charge recklessly at John.

It depends on what circumstances you want to look at. Some factors to consider:

John was beaten in a sword duel (Halo Legends: The Package) but what were the specifics of this situation? Was this the first time John used a sword vs someone who has been using one one forever, and may well be one of the best of his species with one? Speculative statements of course, but ive never looked into it myself so theyre reasonable questions to ask.

Are Elites and Spartans equal in physical combat, or is one superior? I honestly cant recall at this point what it says in canon, but I do remember in Ghosts of Onyx, Beta Company was described as slaughtering Covenant ground forces that greatly outnumbered them, with ease (this included Sangheili).

Are the two of them wearing their respective armors or not? Thels Arbiter armor is described as an older model, and was intended to distinguish his appearance more than anything. On the other hand Johns MJOLNIR is almost the most advanced piece of infantry combat gear in the known galaxy, capable of directly augmenting most if not all of his combat capabilities by a fairly large margin.

Does John have an AI? Ontop of his MJOLNIR, the presence of an AI would further increase his capabilities in combat, though how useful it would be in a hand to hand fight, I dont know.

Honestly I think my money would be on John. Even if it was a straight up naked fist fight, I think the augmentations would put him a step above Thel and no matter what, the outcome would be John with the win.

An armorless fist fight? I think Arby stands a pretty good chance. But if Chief had himself some body armor it would be pretty much over. I’m not saying Arby’s going down without a fight however. Even if Chief comes on top he’s going to have a couple of broken bones.

> Obviously the Chief since he has killed thousands of elites without breaking a single bone.
>
> But it would be an epic battle.

I know BUT its the Arbiter!

Seeing as how a Spartans bones are literally almost impossible to break, I doubt the strength of an Elite would break any of them. Heck, Tartarus couldn’t even break them I’m pretty positive. Maybe if Chief fell butt naked from the top of a skyscrapper some would break. Plus, his strength is equal or greater than Arbys. Arby would get some swings in, but would not win. As much as I like the Arbiter.

Chief.

It depends. I think it would end up in a Draw.

> I think the chief would win.
>
> But thel would break his arm before that happend.

Chief’s bones are practicably unbreakable.

Probably Thel, though there are contradictory feats for the Elites all over the place.

> An armorless fist fight? I think Arby stands a pretty good chance. But if Chief had himself some body armor it would be pretty much over. I’m not saying Arby’s going down without a fight however. Even if Chief comes on top he’s going to have a couple of broken bones.

But you CAN’T break a Spartan’s bones.

The good thing is that they wouldn`t fight each other because they are BEST friends forever… (I hope)D:

> @Luke Del
>
> An Elite Major still hands him his -Yoink!- in a sword fight. Also, so what if Master Chief has several times the reaction speed of an average human, Thel isn’t even an average Elite. This is the guy that killed 3 assassins while half asleep. I doubt he rose to his position being slow and clumsy.

Eneregy swords aren’t exactly ergonomic for a human’s hand. Not to mention that he wouldn’t have much experience with a sword if any, whereas that Elite major will have had a lot of experience with it.

Thel might have killed 3 assassins while half asleep but Chief killed multiple ODST’s when he was unarmoured as a teenager.

Reaction times are incredibly important in hand to hand. Kelly was so fast that people could only touch her if she wanted them to. Chief would be able to block, dodge and counter anything Thel threw at him. On the off chance that Thel got a hit in, Chief’s bones are nigh unbreakable anyway.

This is assuming both combatants have their armour. Without their armour it’s a much more even playing field, but I’d still say Chief.

With armour? I feel Chief would come out on top, but would be very badly hurt. Elites are no pushovers in close combat; they’re quite capable of bashing in a Brute’s skull with a Plasma Rifle.

Unarmoured? Thel, without a doubt. Chief loses a fair bit in both strength and movement without his suit, while Thel loses nothing in those areas.

> With armour? I feel Chief would come out on top, but would be very badly hurt. Elites are no pushovers in close combat; they’re quite capable of bashing in a Brute’s skull with a Plasma Rifle.
>
> Unarmoured? Thel, without a doubt. Chief loses a fair bit in both strength and movement without his suit, while Thel loses nothing in those areas.

I’m fairly sure Elite armor also provides boosts in strength and such. He would lose some abilities as well if they fought without armor.

> > With armour? I feel Chief would come out on top, but would be very badly hurt. Elites are no pushovers in close combat; they’re quite capable of bashing in a Brute’s skull with a Plasma Rifle.
> >
> > Unarmoured? Thel, without a doubt. Chief loses a fair bit in both strength and movement without his suit, while Thel loses nothing in those areas.
>
> I’m fairly sure Elite armor also provides boosts in strength and such. He would lose some abilities as well if they fought without armor.

It was mentioned in the Encyclopaedia, but I’m not sure if it is actually true now. The Encyclopaedia has never been all that trustworthy with all the mistakes and multiple revisions it has had, but I always assumed that that fact was true because nothing seemed to contradict it. Elites in Halo 4 don’t have any armour on their arms or upper body except for the chestplate and shoulder pads so it doesn’t seem possible for them to have strength and speed boosting mechanics in there, yet they are still able to fight on equal terms with John and other Spartan-IVs in their Mjolnir armour.

Without his suit I would say Arbiter too…