Chief and Halos future

So I just wanted to put this out there, since everyone’s freaking out about the new trailer and Steve Downe’s tweet. While I am quite positive that Chief is not dead and it’s all a marketing technique (and an ONI lie, check HtT tumblr update for confirmation), I can’t help but wonder- what becomes of Halo if chief dies? I am of the mind set that he has to die eventually in order to keep things moving, and I believe that Halo has created a big enough universe to continue on without him. Yes, Chief is a video game icon. But he’s never been at the very core of his game like Mario or Sonic have been. Halo has evolved to be bigger than any single character, something most franchises never accomplish. But as I read through all thse threads and the trailer comments, I see so many of “if Chief dies then I leave halo” or “if chief dies, 343 is done”, you get the idea. So I wanna ask you guys- can Halo ever stay the same without Chief?

If by stay the same you mean constantly expanding with new people, great stories, events etc than yes. Just like mass effect, shepard’s story is over and done with but it’s going to be the same massive, expanding, awesome universe as it always was.

I think that Halo could still do very well without Chief. There is an entire universe of lore out there to work worth, lots of places to explore. I’ve always believed that Halo is more than just one character, I would only hope the community would open themselves up to an idea like this. Never know, you might find something you like :slight_smile:

> 2533274874192460;2:
> If by stay the same you mean constantly expanding with new people, great stories, events etc than yes. Just like mass effect, shepard’s story is over and done with but it’s going to be the same massive, expanding, awesome universe as it always was.

I just mean, will the fan backlash be as horrible as people make it out to be?

> 2533274813317074;3:
> I think that Halo could still do very well without Chief. There is an entire universe of lore out there to work worth, lots of places to explore. I’ve always believed that Halo is more than just one character, I would only hope the community would open themselves up to an idea like this. Never know, you might find something you like :slight_smile:

I couldn’t agree more

> 2535468947915585;4:
> > 2533274874192460;2:
> > If by stay the same you mean constantly expanding with new people, great stories, events etc than yes. Just like mass effect, shepard’s story is over and done with but it’s going to be the same massive, expanding, awesome universe as it always was.
>
>
> I just mean, will the fan backlash be as horrible as people make it out to be?

It probably will, people won’t like new things until they try it or watch it. They hated the arbiter at first but now they like him, same with buck and noble team. Now they ( not everyone )hate locke and osiris right now but they may like those characters after halo 5s story.

while there is an entire universe to play with an explore… I just don’t think it will be the same if chief dies. I understand that he may be a spartan but is still human and logically would have to age and retire or something but master chief has been been the focus of the halo world for almost 15 years. that’s not something people are going to be okay with.

maybe it’s the dying part that would be the issue… maybe it wouldn’t be so bad if he’s promoted and is in command of a group of Spartans. that way he is part of the games but instead of killing him off, it will be like him passing the torch and guiding a new regime of heroes.

> 2533274874192460;6:
> It probably will, people won’t like new things until they try it or watch it. They hated the arbiter at first but now they like him, same with buck and noble team. Now they ( not everyone )hate locke and osiris right now but they may like those characters after halo 5s story.

Nope. Still hate that ugly vulture-faced arbiter to this day, liked Buck from the get-go and as for Noble Team, I’m just as indifferent to them now as I was when I first started the game. This has nothing to do with “new”, this is just personal preference. Some characters grow on you, others don’t.

That being said, I don’t hate Locke or even Osiris for that matter. I just have no interest in them whatsoever.