Cheif's armor update makes sense?

So, a little while ago, I was reading Glasslands; I had finished the book and I like reviewing my favorite parts. And, During the scence right after the ODST’s see Naomi get dressed up in MLOJNIR, I figured this out. In the scence Philips says something along the lines of that nanobots slowly updated the suit.

Nanobots, unlike AIs, such as Cortana, have physical forms, so is it possible that the Chief’s armor was updated by the nanobots while he went nighty-night? The armor update seems to be more purposeful then just looking cool, since it looks like he can move alot more skillful.

It’s just a thought. Feel free to point out any mistakes.

The nano-technology is an exclusive to Mjolnir mk. VII armor. It only allows for minor upgrades and repair while the user is in cryo, not major aesthetic overhauls like the change in the Chief’s armor between Halo 3 and 4.

The change in the Chiefs armor is due to a new aesthetic choice by 343, much like the new look of the Forward Unto Dawn and the UNSC logo.

If I remeber correctly, the scence with the Mark VII was after the suit-up. I could be wrong, though.

> If I remeber correctly, the scence with the Mark VII was after the suit-up. I could be wrong, though.

Even if it was, the remarks about the nano-tech were in reference to Mjolnir mk. VII armor.

There have been a couple interviews with Frank O’Connor about the Chief’s new look. The look is due to a new studio, 343, taking a liberty with the design.

By the Mark VII part, I mean the part where Naomi states she had a new armor, the VII. The nanobot part happened before the part with the new armor, therefore Philips was refrencing to the Mark VI, which was the armor she was wearing at the time.

Honestly I don’t get why people are so worried about a proper explanation to the new MC armor. I don’t really care about it, it’s just how 343i intepreting it and putting in their own take on Chief’s armor. Not too much of a big deal.

Sure it may break canon a bit, but video-games are never fully canon.

> The nano-technology is an exclusive to Mjolnir mk. VII armor. It only allows for minor upgrades and repair while the user is in cryo, not major aesthetic overhauls like the change in the Chief’s armor between Halo 3 and 4.
>
> The change in the Chiefs armor is due to a new aesthetic choice by 343, much like the new look of the Forward Unto Dawn and the UNSC logo.

Quoted for truth :wink:

> Honestly I don’t get why people are so worried about a proper explanation to the new MC armor. I don’t really care about it, it’s just how 343i intepreting it and putting in their own take on Chief’s armor. Not too much of a big deal.
>
> Sure it may break canon a bit, b<mark>ut video-games are never fully canon.</mark>

Yet as a company dedicated to the Halo universe and always stressing how important the canon and lore are, they shouldn’t just break it to make things fit.

Introducing it on Glasslands with the mark VII could simply just be to introduce the whole thing.
In an interview, Frankie talks about John’s [armour] and Nanobots I believe.
The thing on armour abilities says something about gen 2 armour and heavily modified mark VI, something along those lines.

Nanobots!

Nanobots that can redesign Chief’s armor…yet not fix that huge gash on his chest. Sure…

> Nanobots that can redesign Chief’s armor…yet not fix that huge gash on his chest. Sure…

Or simply Cortana left it there.

> > Nanobots that can redesign Chief’s armor…yet not fix that huge gash on his chest. Sure…
>
> Or simply Cortana left it there.

Why? That’s ridiculous.

> > > Nanobots that can redesign Chief’s armor…yet not fix that huge gash on his chest. Sure…
> >
> > Or simply Cortana left it there.
>
> …
>
> Why? That’s ridiculous.

Wouldn’t be surprising after origins.

> > > Nanobots that can redesign Chief’s armor…yet not fix that huge gash on his chest. Sure…
> >
> > Or simply Cortana left it there.
>
> …
>
> Why? That’s ridiculous.

Chicks dig scars? Seriously though she may have left it there as a battlescar or something as a reminder he isn’t invincible or whatever. Same reason Keyes left the scars on the side of the Iroquois.

> > > > Nanobots that can redesign Chief’s armor…yet not fix that huge gash on his chest. Sure…
> > >
> > > Or simply Cortana left it there.
> >
> > …
> >
> > Why? That’s ridiculous.
>
> Chicks dig scars? Seriously though she may have left it there as a battlescar or something as a reminder he isn’t invincible or whatever. Same reason Keyes left the scars on the side of the Iroquois.

Still, I find it to be a somewhat weak explanation.

> > > > > Nanobots that can redesign Chief’s armor…yet not fix that huge gash on his chest. Sure…
> > > >
> > > > Or simply Cortana left it there.
> > >
> > > …
> > >
> > > Why? That’s ridiculous.
> >
> > Chicks dig scars? Seriously though she may have left it there as a battlescar or something as a reminder he isn’t invincible or whatever. Same reason Keyes left the scars on the side of the Iroquois.
>
> Still, I find it to be a somewhat weak explanation.

It’s better than nothing. I just wonder if it’s going to matter in the future. For all we know he’s going to upgrade to Mark VII Armor in Halo 5 or maybe even get himself a shiny Forerunner Combat Skin.

Kinda wish he got Combat Skin in Halo 4, but oh well. The gash is a minor issue, but one that just irks me.

> Kinda wish he got Combat Skin in Halo 4, but oh well. The gash is a minor issue, but one that just irks me.

Maybe he does? That would be really awesome IMO. I would be satisfied with Mark VII armor though.

> By the Mark VII part, I mean the part where Naomi states she had a new armor, the VII. The nanobot part happened before the part with the new armor, therefore Philips was refrencing to the Mark VI, which was the armor she was wearing at the time.

Dude, the bit about nano-technology was in reference to mjolnir Mk. VII. I’ve read this book 3 times since it released. Mjolnir Mk. VI cannot upgrade itself.

Frankie has stated, in a few interviews, that the visual upgrade was simply the result of a new art direction.

A simpler explanation for Chief’s suit upgrade would have been far more logical and acceptable had he just found an updated Mark VII suit on-board the UNSC Infinity while searching for survivors.

This whole thing about nano-tech upgrading his suit while in cryo-sleep is a poorly written and over-used fad in sci-fi storytelling, and like DecepticonCobra said “it can update his entire suit but not fix the scar” is the weakest excuse to redesign his look for a new game. Besides, his new suit is -Yoink–ugly. If they wanted to update it then they should have gone with Shinji Aramaki’s suit from Halo Legends “The Package”. That design looks like it would the natural progression to the design of the Mjolnir armor, not this -Yoink- looking Crysis abomination we have in Halo 4.