Changing controller setup

So i have been thinking about changing my controller set up so i can have aim control whilst jumping. Last night i tried switching from default to bumper jumper and i have to say it was a painful experience.

Has anyone else tried to do something similar? I cant decide if it is actually worth the pain. Although i think going through the campaign would be a better way of adjusting.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Well, something similar I guess. I normally play on Halo 4 settings. Most familiar to me. However, whenever I join a SWAT game or a snipers game I change to default. The smart scope being on the LT makes it so much easier for me but I hate it for normal gunplay…

i know im messed up

I bought the new fusion controller, it’s the cheaper version of the elite controller, where you are supposed to be able to assign your own button layout. That maybe an option. I currently use the H4 layout.

In the past Halo has always had a different controller setup to other fps and usually this was not a problem but since H5 i have got so used to the new set up its difficult to switch back.

Having aim on the left trigger does make more sense for me now i have got used to it but more than anything switching the reload and boost buttons feels so alien.

A controller with more buttons may be worth looking into.

> 2533274989334266;4:
> In the past Halo has always had a different controller setup to other fps and usually this was not a problem but since H5 i have got so used to the new set up its difficult to switch back.
>
> Having aim on the left trigger does make more sense for me now i have got used to it but more than anything switching the reload and boost buttons feels so alien.
>
> A controller with more buttons may be worth looking into.

That is why I got the fusion controller. You can assign the a,b,x,y buttons to buttons on the back side of the controller. It’s taking some getting used too. Sure the elite controller is better but it’s twice the price of the fusion controller.

> 2533274816788253;5:
> > 2533274989334266;4:
> > In the past Halo has always had a different controller setup to other fps and usually this was not a problem but since H5 i have got so used to the new set up its difficult to switch back.
> >
> > Having aim on the left trigger does make more sense for me now i have got used to it but more than anything switching the reload and boost buttons feels so alien.
> >
> > A controller with more buttons may be worth looking into.
>
>
> That is why I got the fusion controller. You can assign the a,b,x,y buttons to buttons on the back side of the controller. It’s taking some getting used too. Sure the elite controller is better but it’s twice the price of the fusion controller.

Yeah, the elite controller is def out of the question for me but the fusion one is only a little more expensive than the standard controller so worth it i think.

> 2533274989334266;1:
> So i have been thinking about changing my controller set up so i can have aim control whilst jumping. Last night i tried switching from default to bumper jumper and i have to say it was a painful experience.
>
> Has anyone else tried to do something similar? I cant decide if it is actually worth the pain. Although i think going through the campaign would be a better way of adjusting.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts?

Elite controller - 2 paddles. Left paddle jump, right paddle boost. Works a treat.

> 2533274989334266;1:
> So i have been thinking about changing my controller set up so i can have aim control whilst jumping. Last night i tried switching from default to bumper jumper and i have to say it was a painful experience.
> Has anyone else tried to do something similar? I cant decide if it is actually worth the pain. Although i think going through the campaign would be a better way of adjusting.
> Anyone have any thoughts?

I went from Recon to Bumper Jumper as that is what I used back from Halo 3 (was default back then) but after the grueling two weeks of practice and muscle memory, it helps and improves your gameplay tenfold. Went from roughly plateauing at around platinum 3 to now around diamond 6, although controls are all about comfortability and your personal playing style, which is dependent on your decision making, patience etc.

> 2533274873172929;8:
> > 2533274989334266;1:
> > So i have been thinking about changing my controller set up so i can have aim control whilst jumping. Last night i tried switching from default to bumper jumper and i have to say it was a painful experience.
> > Has anyone else tried to do something similar? I cant decide if it is actually worth the pain. Although i think going through the campaign would be a better way of adjusting.
> > Anyone have any thoughts?
>
>
> I went from Recon to Bumper Jumper as that is what I used back from Halo 3 (was default back then) but after the grueling two weeks of practice and muscle memory, it helps and improves your gameplay tenfold. Went from roughly plateauing at around platinum 3 to now around diamond 6, although controls are all about comfortability and your personal playing style, which is dependent on your decision making, patience etc.

I can really see the benefits of having control of aim during jumps and boosts which is why i want to switch but i think i will wait to get a controller as i was considering getting a new one anyway as i currently only have one which occasionally turns itself off for no good reason (which is pretty annoying midgame).

Also just checked the fusion controller which are available for $39 in the US but cost £69 here in the UK. WTF? Talk about paying over the odds.

I tried doing the exact same as you OP, but it just didn’t work out as well as I hoped. I switched back to Recon after a day or two. It’s only a small problem anyways.

> 2533274870489921;10:
> I tried doing the exact same as you OP, but it just didn’t work out as well as I hoped. I switched back to Recon after a day or two. It’s only a small problem anyways.

Its a tricky one, but seeing the HCS and some of the things they could pull off when having aim control whilst jumping makes me think it may be worth it. ill think it over for a few days, although im tempted to just wait until i get a new controller, will be less painfull.

I tried to make the switch back in Halo 3 but didn’t think it was worth the pain, but after watching the HCS I decided to just make the switch. It’s not as bad as you think, I’ve only been using it for a few days but I’m mostly back to normal. I’ve died a few times from wrong button presses but overall it didn’t effect me too much, the most frustrating aspect was not being fast enough since I had to think about what buttons I was pressing.

Also, if you’re really attached to using the left trigger to aim, you can use Helljumper which switches grenades to RB melee to Right stick and Aiming to left trigger but everything else is Bumper Jumper. It keeps the concept of bumper jumper while providing a slightly different set up for a different preference.

i successfully switched to bumper jumper and i can tell you that you dont need an elite or fusion controller to play this game at a high level. bumper jumper is great, the only problem i had switching (mostly) was always pressing B for melee on accident. took a few weeks but now im adjusted and it was worth it (did this during the MCC days, used to play recon but now play BJ)