Changes to frag grenade damage?

Why does the frag grenade get its own spot as featured content on the front page? The last paragraph mentions nothing but the grenade’s effectiveness. Could this be a hint at possible future changes to the grenade damage, or am I getting a little too hopeful?

Personally, I would prefer to have the grenades tweaked so that they don’t deal as much damage. I remember in Halo 3 when they were mostly used just as a means of squeezing out that extra bit of damage (or at least that’s how I used them), rather than them being a lethal force on their own.

What do you think? Yes or no? Good or bad?

[deleted]

> I really don’t think damage is the real problem with frags. What I don’t like about them is the short fuse and awful physics. They don’t bounce at all and blow up almost instantly. Also, reduced player jump height and movement speed makes it pretty difficult to avoid them. Even in CE, where they were equally as lethal (if not more), at least you could get out of their way.

This+ the huge blast radius.

No, frags are fine as they are. Not nukes like in the original Reach beta but still a hindrance you want to steer clear of like grenades should be.

> No, frags are fine as they are. Not nukes like in the original Reach beta but still a hindrance you want to steer clear of like grenades should be.

Fair enough, but how exactly does one steer clear of grenades in Reach? Unless you have Armor Lock or Evade, or you’re already sprinting, there really isn’t any way to avoid a grenade that has been thrown by your feet.

I don’t want to compare Halo to CoD, but I think many people agree that grenades are something that CoD did right. The fuse is long enough to allow players to get away, but still punishes those that are inattentive or got themselves caught in a bad spot.
Also, the player can time his/her throw for a quicker kill, with the risk of waiting too long before it detonates.

> > No, frags are fine as they are. Not nukes like in the original Reach beta but still a hindrance you want to steer clear of like grenades should be.
>
> Fair enough, but how exactly does one steer clear of grenades in Reach? Unless you have Armor Lock or Evade, or you’re already sprinting, there really isn’t any way to avoid a grenade that has been thrown by your feet.
>
> I don’t want to compare Halo to CoD, but I think many people agree that grenades are something that CoD did right. The fuse is long enough to allow players to get away, but still punishes those that are inattentive or got themselves caught in a bad spot.

Don’t walk into one which happens quite often. Jump. Jetpack. Walk away as much as you can if you don’t already have Evade or AL. Sprint takes too long to get going to be of use unless you’re already sprinting like you said. Point is to always be on the move(common sense) and just don’t be right on top of the nade.

> > No, frags are fine as they are. Not nukes like in the original Reach beta but still a hindrance you want to steer clear of like grenades should be.
>
> Fair enough, but how exactly does one steer clear of grenades in Reach? Unless you have Armor Lock or Evade, or you’re already sprinting, there really isn’t any way to avoid a grenade that has been thrown by your feet.
>
> I don’t want to compare Halo to CoD, but I think many people agree that grenades are something that CoD did right. The fuse is long enough to allow players to get away, but still punishes those that are inattentive or got themselves caught in a bad spot.
> Also, the player can time his/her throw for a quicker kill, with the risk of waiting too long before it detonates.

If a grenade is comming towards you from one direction…walk in the opposite direction… woah…

> > > No, frags are fine as they are. Not nukes like in the original Reach beta but still a hindrance you want to steer clear of like grenades should be.
> >
> > Fair enough, but how exactly does one steer clear of grenades in Reach? Unless you have Armor Lock or Evade, or you’re already sprinting, there really isn’t any way to avoid a grenade that has been thrown by your feet.
> >
> > I don’t want to compare Halo to CoD, but I think many people agree that grenades are something that CoD did right. The fuse is long enough to allow players to get away, but still punishes those that are inattentive or got themselves caught in a bad spot.
> > Also, the player can time his/her throw for a quicker kill, with the risk of waiting too long before it detonates.
>
> If a grenade is comming towards you from one direction…walk in the opposite direction… woah…

Show me a video of someone successfully doing that when the grenade is at their feet and avoiding the grenade damage.

OT: It’s because every aspect of Reach is designed to revolve around AAs which IMO was a mistake.

Grenades are fine the way they are. Not nukes like the Beta, but still decently powerful.

You’re asking how you can avoid a grenade. Move as far away from it as possible. If that person threw a perfect nade at your feet, or planned his toss based on your current direction, then he deserves that kill.

> Grenades are fine the way they are. Not nukes like the Beta, but still decently powerful.
>
> You’re asking how you can avoid a grenade. Move as far away from it as possible. If that person threw a perfect nade at your feet, or planned his toss based on your current direction, then he deserves that kill.

On H3, maybe. The grenukes in Reach require much less skill to throw. Even landing a plasma grenade sticky is much easier.

> > Grenades are fine the way they are. Not nukes like the Beta, but still decently powerful.
> >
> > You’re asking how you can avoid a grenade. Move as far away from it as possible. If that person threw a perfect nade at your feet, or planned his toss based on your current direction, then he deserves that kill.
>
> On H3, maybe. The grenukes in Reach require much less skill to throw. Even landing a plasma grenade sticky is much easier.

How are they different? I think you’re just noticing grenade spam (which has been in every Halo game), not individual grenade power. Someone with 90% shields can be moving 5ft away from a grenade blast and survive.

As for ease of throwing? Nothing has changed. I have no idea where you’re getting this info.

> > > Grenades are fine the way they are. Not nukes like the Beta, but still decently powerful.
> > >
> > > You’re asking how you can avoid a grenade. Move as far away from it as possible. If that person threw a perfect nade at your feet, or planned his toss based on your current direction, then he deserves that kill.
> >
> > On H3, maybe. The grenukes in Reach require much less skill to throw. Even landing a plasma grenade sticky is much easier.
>
> How are they different? I think you’re just noticing grenade spam (which has been in every Halo game), not individual grenade power. Someone with 90% shields can be moving 5ft away from a grenade blast and survive.
>
> As for ease of throwing? Nothing has changed. I have no idea where you’re getting this info.

It’s much easier to grenade somebody moving at Reach pace than Halo 3 pace.

The current frags are just annoying, people can throw them mid combat and will kill you before you kill them.
If you threw a nade in H3, it was a deadly mistake.
Nades are suppose to supress or finish of people behind a corner, not be one hit kill weapons.

You could make nades your main weapon in Reach and go +10 every game if you sprint around the map all the time from nade location to nade location.

The damage needs to be reduced or changed to the current melee system where a flicker of shields will prevent the damage from bleeding through to your health.