Champion status

I’m curious how the ranking works at champion level, for example if I’m champion 10 and I verse champion 5 and win, do I take his place as champion 5? Or do I just go to champion 9? Or something else?

*edit- the ranking system is extremely flawed, how is it that I verse someone, beat them, then don’t go up AT ALL in placement, then verse them again, they beat me and I go back 9 places? I went from champion 10 to 19 versing the same guy who I just beat and I didn’t move anywhere? Then versed him a 3rd time and beat him and remain 19? It’s absolutely broken. I played 6 games in a row, won all of them and only went from 12 to 10 after 6 wins in a row… then verse one of those guys again in my 7th game and go from 10 to 19? Then don’t even get any change when I beat him after that? Ridiculous…

it works like onyx ranks pending on the rank your opponent has you get x amount of points for a win. So for instance if you have onyx 1799 and champion 198 has 1805 you will become champ 198 when you win a game that gives you atleast 8 points. Champ 5 for example has 2000+ elo points they just dont show them for champions except if you look at the leaderboard on waypoint

so it all depends on the elo points you have if champ five has 2500 and you beat him you will stay champ 6 if the difference is to big, you will however see on the leaderboards that the gap got a bit smaller

> 2533274862302097;2:
> it works like onyx ranks pending on the rank your opponent has you get x amount of points for a win. So for instance if you have onyx 1799 and champion 198 has 1805 you will become champ 198 when you win a game that gives you atleast 8 points. Champ 5 for example has 2000+ elo points they just dont show them for champions except if you look at the leaderboard on waypoint
>
> so it all depends on the elo points you have if champ five has 2500 and you beat him you will stay champ 6 if the difference is to big, you will however see on the leaderboards that the gap got a bit smaller

That makes sense, so do you gain points no matter what (if you win)? It’s just a lot less points for a lower ranked opponent? Another question, does the game it’s self matter to how many points gained? Say if I beat someone and had control all game and absolutely obliterate them start to finish will I get more points compared to if I just scrape through and clutch a win? Or is it all dependant on ranks.

yes the minimum you can get is one point. game itself doesnt make any difference its only based on peoples ranks