Champion players WHYYYY

Is there a reason I keep getting put against Champion and 1,700+ Onyx players when I’m only in Diamond? I know SWAT has one of the strongest populations so I’m not sure why they aren’t playing each other and I’m not having more games with Diamond 2-6’s and low Onyx?

Last couple of days I’ve played against thirteen Champion players, and in that time I have only had ONE single Champion player on my team and he went like -7 lmfao. Big sad.

Searching focused as well.

> 2533274801036271;1:
> Is there a reason I keep getting put against Champion and 1,700+ Onyx players when I’m only in Diamond? I know SWAT has one of the strongest populations so I’m not sure why they aren’t playing each other and I’m not having more games with Diamond 2-6’s and low Onyx?
>
> Last couple of days I’ve played against thirteen Champion players, and in that time I have only had ONE single Champion player on my team and he went like -7 lmfao. Big sad.
>
> Searching focused as well.

You’re right around 1500, so it’s not unreasonable to play onyx and champions.

Your game history shows a good mix of diamond along with higher rank players. Also, wouldn’t you want to play higher ranks? That’s the best way to get better and realistically the only way to rank up as well.

Search settings don’t affect the ranks of who you’re watched with / against.

I looked at some of your recent games and you’ve had players who were Swat champions in the past on your team, but not at that current time so you shouldn’t be basing everything on their current rank. Being a diamond 6 means you’re going to be matching more people who are onyx because you’re in that matching window for them. The game is also making matches based on their MMR and not CSR so their visible rank might not be completely representative of their actual skill level. If it does match you in an uneven game, that’s usually do to a lack of proper skill matching availability at the time so it will just try to find a game, but you’ll only gain or lose the minimal CSR points for that game.

> 2727626560040591;3:
> I looked at some of your recent games and you’ve had players who were Swat champions in the past on your team, but not at that current time so you shouldn’t be basing everything on their current rank. Being a diamond 6 means you’re going to be matching more people who are onyx because you’re in that matching window for them. The game is also making matches based on their MMR and not CSR so their visible rank might not be completely representative of their actual skill level. If it does match you in an uneven game, that’s usually do to a lack of proper skill matching availability at the time so it will just try to find a game, but you’ll only win or loss the minimal CSR points for that game.

Thank you, that makes much more sense. So it’s basing the team on an invisible rank rather than a visible one. It’s just a coincidence that the current Champions have mostly been on the opposite team, so in those games I should have some previous season SWAT beasts on the road to their former glory. Or in the cases where we have lost 50-16, an unwinnable game full of players as bad as myself.

It’s matching on their MMR which isn’t visible. There is an FAQ about everything here. The matches are put together so it’s an even match on both sides regardless of their visible rank, but the system can’t predict if someone will under or over perform. With blowout games, it’s usually just a population issue at the time.

I know it’s annoying to experience this but I’m sure you’ve probably beaten some teams with champs in them before. Being daimond is like being a wild card. Especially since rank in is topped off at D3. So potentially a mid daimond player was onyx or champ in the past.

The rank isn’t the be all end all of a game. Sometimes the Under dogs get the W. Skill is more of a range rather than a finite point. Sometimes we play cracked at 110%…other times its hard to shoot a stationary target lol. At least its always been this way for me…and I usually just say its my aching hands and age…but idk…

because the ranking system in halo 5 is badly optimized.

> 2727626560040591;5:
> It’s matching on their MMR which isn’t visible. There is an FAQ about everything here. The matches are put together so it’s an even match on both sides regardless of their visible rank, but the system can’t predict if someone will under or over perform. With blowout games, it’s usually just a population issue at the time.

This player doesn’t seem to have many blowout games. Actually, most of their recent blowout games are with them on the winning team. The matchmaker seems to be working fine with a vast majority of games being tightly contested.

> 2533274860712851;7:
> because the ranking system in halo 5 is badly optimized.

It works really well. The population is tiny now so it really limits it.

> 2753763522162009;8:
> > 2727626560040591;5:
> > It’s matching on their MMR which isn’t visible. There is an FAQ about everything here. The matches are put together so it’s an even match on both sides regardless of their visible rank, but the system can’t predict if someone will under or over perform. With blowout games, it’s usually just a population issue at the time.
>
> This player doesn’t seem to have many blowout games. Actually, most of their recent blowout games are with them on the winning team. The matchmaker seems to be working fine with a vast majority of games being tightly contested.
>
>
> > 2533274860712851;7:
> > because the ranking system in halo 5 is badly optimized.
>
> It works really well. The population is tiny now so it really limits it.

When I played a lot of competitive games, I found it badly optimized.

> 2533274860712851;9:
> > 2753763522162009;8:
> > > 2727626560040591;5:
> > > It’s matching on their MMR which isn’t visible. There is an FAQ about everything here. The matches are put together so it’s an even match on both sides regardless of their visible rank, but the system can’t predict if someone will under or over perform. With blowout games, it’s usually just a population issue at the time.
> >
> > This player doesn’t seem to have many blowout games. Actually, most of their recent blowout games are with them on the winning team. The matchmaker seems to be working fine with a vast majority of games being tightly contested.
> >
> >
> > > 2533274860712851;7:
> > > because the ranking system in halo 5 is badly optimized.
> >
> > It works really well. The population is tiny now so it really limits it.
>
> When I played a lot of competitive games, I found it badly optimized.

How do you mean?

> 2753763522162009;10:
> > 2533274860712851;9:
> > > 2753763522162009;8:
> > > > 2727626560040591;5:
> > > > It’s matching on their MMR which isn’t visible. There is an FAQ about everything here. The matches are put together so it’s an even match on both sides regardless of their visible rank, but the system can’t predict if someone will under or over perform. With blowout games, it’s usually just a population issue at the time.
> > >
> > > This player doesn’t seem to have many blowout games. Actually, most of their recent blowout games are with them on the winning team. The matchmaker seems to be working fine with a vast majority of games being tightly contested.
> > >
> > >
> > > > 2533274860712851;7:
> > > > because the ranking system in halo 5 is badly optimized.
> > >
> > > It works really well. The population is tiny now so it really limits it.
> >
> > When I played a lot of competitive games, I found it badly optimized.
>
> How do you mean?

because if you are onyx and you take a player with a low rank with you, you will have the chance to fall against players with a low lvl and therefore win your games more easily.

> 2533274860712851;11:
> > 2753763522162009;10:
> > > 2533274860712851;9:
> > > > 2753763522162009;8:
> > > > > 2727626560040591;5:
> > > > > It’s matching on their MMR which isn’t visible. There is an FAQ about everything here. The matches are put together so it’s an even match on both sides regardless of their visible rank, but the system can’t predict if someone will under or over perform. With blowout games, it’s usually just a population issue at the time.
> > > >
> > > > This player doesn’t seem to have many blowout games. Actually, most of their recent blowout games are with them on the winning team. The matchmaker seems to be working fine with a vast majority of games being tightly contested.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > > 2533274860712851;7:
> > > > > because the ranking system in halo 5 is badly optimized.
> > > >
> > > > It works really well. The population is tiny now so it really limits it.
> > >
> > > When I played a lot of competitive games, I found it badly optimized.
> >
> > How do you mean?
>
> because if you are onyx and you take a player with a low rank with you, you will have the chance to fall against players with a low lvl and therefore win your games more easily.

That’s not how it works, unless you are actively manipulating the system.

You can read this for more info:
Ranking FAQ

> 2753763522162009;12:
> > 2533274860712851;11:
> > > 2753763522162009;10:
> > > > 2533274860712851;9:
> > > > > 2753763522162009;8:
> > > > > > 2727626560040591;5:
> > > > > > It’s matching on their MMR which isn’t visible. There is an FAQ about everything here. The matches are put together so it’s an even match on both sides regardless of their visible rank, but the system can’t predict if someone will under or over perform. With blowout games, it’s usually just a population issue at the time.
> > > > >
> > > > > This player doesn’t seem to have many blowout games. Actually, most of their recent blowout games are with them on the winning team. The matchmaker seems to be working fine with a vast majority of games being tightly contested.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > > 2533274860712851;7:
> > > > > > because the ranking system in halo 5 is badly optimized.
> > > > >
> > > > > It works really well. The population is tiny now so it really limits it.
> > > >
> > > > When I played a lot of competitive games, I found it badly optimized.
> > >
> > > How do you mean?
> >
> > because if you are onyx and you take a player with a low rank with you, you will have the chance to fall against players with a low lvl and therefore win your games more easily.
>
> Sure you can win, but you won’t rank up
>
> You can read this for more info:
> Ranking FAQ

ha well maybe that has changed because when I was doing completion it worked very well.

> 2753763522162009;8:
> > 2727626560040591;5:
> >
>
> This player doesn’t seem to have many blowout games. Actually, most of their recent blowout games are with them on the winning team. The matchmaker seems to be working fine with a vast majority of games being tightly contested.
>
>
> > 2533274860712851;7:
> > because the ranking system in halo 5 is badly optimized.
>
> It works really well. The population is tiny now so it really limits it.

That is just not true, in my last 25 games of SWAT there have been 8 games where the score has been 50-30 or less. I have been on the “blowout” side twice. The other 6 we were on the other end of it with the worst score being 50-16.

I’ve lost 14 games, and won 11. Despite this my rank has gone up a bunch as the game keeps forcing me to play these highly unlikely win scenarios. I thought the SWAT population would be healthy enough to avoid this, but I guess not.

I’m satisfied with what’s going on now after reading the MMR FAQ, thanks for linking it Lukepowa.

> 2533274801036271;14:
> > 2753763522162009;8:
> > > 2727626560040591;5:
> > >
> >
> > This player doesn’t seem to have many blowout games. Actually, most of their recent blowout games are with them on the winning team. The matchmaker seems to be working fine with a vast majority of games being tightly contested.
> >
> >
> > > 2533274860712851;7:
> > > because the ranking system in halo 5 is badly optimized.
> >
> > It works really well. The population is tiny now so it really limits it.
>
> That is just not true, in my last 25 games of SWAT there have been 8 games where the score has been 50-30 or less. I have been on the “blowout” side twice. The other 6 we were on the other end of it with the worst score being 50-16.
>
> I’ve lost 14 games, and won 11. Despite this my rank has gone up a bunch as the game keeps forcing me to play these highly unlikely win scenarios. I thought the SWAT population would be healthy enough to avoid this, but I guess not.
>
> I’m satisfied with what’s going on now after reading the MMR FAQ, thanks for linking it Lukepowa.

I see the 50-16, looking again the blowouts do look shifted against you (there were several other gametypes scattered in there). The point was that blowouts suck but the small population is going to lead to it. Additionally, SWAT has a ton of variance compared to slayer or Team Arena so it’s inevitably going to have larger swings.

Especially at higher ranks, it has a tough time creating close games nowadays.

> 2533274860712851;11:
> > 2753763522162009;10:
> > > 2533274860712851;9:
> > > > 2753763522162009;8:
> > > > > 2727626560040591;5:
> > > > > It’s matching on their MMR which isn’t visible. There is an FAQ about everything here. The matches are put together so it’s an even match on both sides regardless of their visible rank, but the system can’t predict if someone will under or over perform. With blowout games, it’s usually just a population issue at the time.
> > > >
> > > > This player doesn’t seem to have many blowout games. Actually, most of their recent blowout games are with them on the winning team. The matchmaker seems to be working fine with a vast majority of games being tightly contested.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > > 2533274860712851;7:
> > > > > because the ranking system in halo 5 is badly optimized.
> > > >
> > > > It works really well. The population is tiny now so it really limits it.
> > >
> > > When I played a lot of competitive games, I found it badly optimized.
> >
> > How do you mean?
>
> because if you are onyx and you take a player with a low rank with you, you will have the chance to fall against players with a low lvl and therefore win your games more easily.

People still do this. If there’s a large skill discrepancy…like a daimond or onyx with a silver account tagging a lot…heck even gold accounts cause this…yes the total team MMR gets lowered and that team finds easier matches, the highest player usually boosts off of them. If it can be proven to be a means of them purposely manipulating the match maker…like looking up the history of games played, looking at the lower account’s…account age…how placement matches went and how many wins after being placed etc…thats a ban right there. The entire team sometimes gets banned.

There does exist friends with quite a skill difference, but these are usually obviously noticed naturally in MM. When it’s boosting…the signs of a booster squad are SO obvious and quite easily can be reported on waypoint to get smacked with the Ban hammer of justice. Its frustrating this exists…I really have no idea why anyone would want a fake rank to display on their screen if their skill doesn’t match…like…cool points or what ? Haha

> 2533274842046585;16:
> > 2533274860712851;11:
> > > 2753763522162009;10:
> > > > 2533274860712851;9:
> > > > > 2753763522162009;8:
> > > > > > 2727626560040591;5:
> > > > > > It’s matching on their MMR which isn’t visible. There is an FAQ about everything here. The matches are put together so it’s an even match on both sides regardless of their visible rank, but the system can’t predict if someone will under or over perform. With blowout games, it’s usually just a population issue at the time.
> > > > >
> > > > > This player doesn’t seem to have many blowout games. Actually, most of their recent blowout games are with them on the winning team. The matchmaker seems to be working fine with a vast majority of games being tightly contested.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > > 2533274860712851;7:
> > > > > > because the ranking system in halo 5 is badly optimized.
> > > > >
> > > > > It works really well. The population is tiny now so it really limits it.
> > > >
> > > > When I played a lot of competitive games, I found it badly optimized.
> > >
> > > How do you mean?
> >
> > because if you are onyx and you take a player with a low rank with you, you will have the chance to fall against players with a low lvl and therefore win your games more easily.
>
> People still do this. If there’s a large skill discrepancy…like a daimond or onyx with a silver account tagging a lot…heck even gold accounts cause this…yes the total team MMR gets lowered and that team finds easier matches, the highest player usually boosts off of them. If it can be proven to be a means of them purposely manipulating the match maker…like looking up the history of games played, looking at the lower account’s…account age…how placement matches went and how many wins after being placed etc…thats a ban right there. The entire team sometimes gets banned.
>
> There does exist friends with quite a skill difference, but these are usually obviously noticed naturally in MM. When it’s boosting…the signs of a booster squad are SO obvious and quite easily can be reported on waypoint to get smacked with the Ban hammer of justice. Its frustrating this exists…I really have no idea why anyone would want a fake rank to display on their screen if their skill doesn’t match…like…cool points or what ? Haha

and yet there are many players who have fun doing this unfortunately.

> 2533274860712851;17:
> > 2533274842046585;16:
> > > 2533274860712851;11:
> > > > 2753763522162009;10:
> > > > > 2533274860712851;9:
> > > > > > 2753763522162009;8:
> > > > > > > 2727626560040591;5:
> > > > > > > It’s matching on their MMR which isn’t visible. There is an FAQ about everything here. The matches are put together so it’s an even match on both sides regardless of their visible rank, but the system can’t predict if someone will under or over perform. With blowout games, it’s usually just a population issue at the time.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > This player doesn’t seem to have many blowout games. Actually, most of their recent blowout games are with them on the winning team. The matchmaker seems to be working fine with a vast majority of games being tightly contested.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > > 2533274860712851;7:
> > > > > > > because the ranking system in halo 5 is badly optimized.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > It works really well. The population is tiny now so it really limits it.
> > > > >
> > > > > When I played a lot of competitive games, I found it badly optimized.
> > > >
> > > > How do you mean?
> > >
> > > because if you are onyx and you take a player with a low rank with you, you will have the chance to fall against players with a low lvl and therefore win your games more easily.
> >
> > People still do this. If there’s a large skill discrepancy…like a daimond or onyx with a silver account tagging a lot…heck even gold accounts cause this…yes the total team MMR gets lowered and that team finds easier matches, the highest player usually boosts off of them. If it can be proven to be a means of them purposely manipulating the match maker…like looking up the history of games played, looking at the lower account’s…account age…how placement matches went and how many wins after being placed etc…thats a ban right there. The entire team sometimes gets banned.
> >
> > There does exist friends with quite a skill difference, but these are usually obviously noticed naturally in MM. When it’s boosting…the signs of a booster squad are SO obvious and quite easily can be reported on waypoint to get smacked with the Ban hammer of justice. Its frustrating this exists…I really have no idea why anyone would want a fake rank to display on their screen if their skill doesn’t match…like…cool points or what ? Haha
>
> and yet there are many players who have fun doing this unfortunately.

Yea. I guess I’ll never understand it man. I’m an older guy…like part of me wants to say maybe its an age thing…but after some of the stuff I’ve recently experienced with a person in their 30s acting like a high-school kid over this game in xbox messages…I guess I shouldn’t even be surprised. It’s unbelievable just how much a stupid rank can matter to someone.

> 2533274842046585;18:
> > 2533274860712851;17:
> > > 2533274842046585;16:
> > > > 2533274860712851;11:
> > > > > 2753763522162009;10:
> > > > > > 2533274860712851;9:
> > > > > > > 2753763522162009;8:
> > > > > > > > 2727626560040591;5:
> > > > > > > > It’s matching on their MMR which isn’t visible. There is an FAQ about everything here. The matches are put together so it’s an even match on both sides regardless of their visible rank, but the system can’t predict if someone will under or over perform. With blowout games, it’s usually just a population issue at the time.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > This player doesn’t seem to have many blowout games. Actually, most of their recent blowout games are with them on the winning team. The matchmaker seems to be working fine with a vast majority of games being tightly contested.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > 2533274860712851;7:
> > > > > > > > because the ranking system in halo 5 is badly optimized.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > It works really well. The population is tiny now so it really limits it.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > When I played a lot of competitive games, I found it badly optimized.
> > > > >
> > > > > How do you mean?
> > > >
> > > > because if you are onyx and you take a player with a low rank with you, you will have the chance to fall against players with a low lvl and therefore win your games more easily.
> > >
> > > People still do this. If there’s a large skill discrepancy…like a daimond or onyx with a silver account tagging a lot…heck even gold accounts cause this…yes the total team MMR gets lowered and that team finds easier matches, the highest player usually boosts off of them. If it can be proven to be a means of them purposely manipulating the match maker…like looking up the history of games played, looking at the lower account’s…account age…how placement matches went and how many wins after being placed etc…thats a ban right there. The entire team sometimes gets banned.
> > >
> > > There does exist friends with quite a skill difference, but these are usually obviously noticed naturally in MM. When it’s boosting…the signs of a booster squad are SO obvious and quite easily can be reported on waypoint to get smacked with the Ban hammer of justice. Its frustrating this exists…I really have no idea why anyone would want a fake rank to display on their screen if their skill doesn’t match…like…cool points or what ? Haha
> >
> > and yet there are many players who have fun doing this unfortunately.
>
> Yea. I guess I’ll never understand it man. I’m an older guy…like part of me wants to say maybe its an age thing…but after some of the stuff I’ve recently experienced with a person in their 30s acting like a high-school kid over this game in xbox messages…I guess I shouldn’t even be surprised. It’s unbelievable just how much a stupid rank can matter to someone.

yes I understand your feeling, I too have known players like that with the mentality of a child. I gave myself a hard time at the beginning of halo 5 to get my rank champion up, because I’m the last rank in all the halo ( competitive rank ) I like to give myself challenges like that.

> 2533274860712851;19:
> > 2533274842046585;18:
> > > 2533274860712851;17:
> > > > 2533274842046585;16:
> > > > > 2533274860712851;11:
> > > > > > 2753763522162009;10:
> > > > > > > 2533274860712851;9:
> > > > > > > > 2753763522162009;8:
> > > > > > > > > 2727626560040591;5:
> > > > > > > > > It’s matching on their MMR which isn’t visible. There is an FAQ about everything here. The matches are put together so it’s an even match on both sides regardless of their visible rank, but the system can’t predict if someone will under or over perform. With blowout games, it’s usually just a population issue at the time.
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > This player doesn’t seem to have many blowout games. Actually, most of their recent blowout games are with them on the winning team. The matchmaker seems to be working fine with a vast majority of games being tightly contested.
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > > 2533274860712851;7:
> > > > > > > > > because the ranking system in halo 5 is badly optimized.
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > It works really well. The population is tiny now so it really limits it.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > When I played a lot of competitive games, I found it badly optimized.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > How do you mean?
> > > > >
> > > > > because if you are onyx and you take a player with a low rank with you, you will have the chance to fall against players with a low lvl and therefore win your games more easily.
> > > >
> > > > People still do this. If there’s a large skill discrepancy…like a daimond or onyx with a silver account tagging a lot…heck even gold accounts cause this…yes the total team MMR gets lowered and that team finds easier matches, the highest player usually boosts off of them. If it can be proven to be a means of them purposely manipulating the match maker…like looking up the history of games played, looking at the lower account’s…account age…how placement matches went and how many wins after being placed etc…thats a ban right there. The entire team sometimes gets banned.
> > > >
> > > > There does exist friends with quite a skill difference, but these are usually obviously noticed naturally in MM. When it’s boosting…the signs of a booster squad are SO obvious and quite easily can be reported on waypoint to get smacked with the Ban hammer of justice. Its frustrating this exists…I really have no idea why anyone would want a fake rank to display on their screen if their skill doesn’t match…like…cool points or what ? Haha
> > >
> > > and yet there are many players who have fun doing this unfortunately.
> >
> > Yea. I guess I’ll never understand it man. I’m an older guy…like part of me wants to say maybe its an age thing…but after some of the stuff I’ve recently experienced with a person in their 30s acting like a high-school kid over this game in xbox messages…I guess I shouldn’t even be surprised. It’s unbelievable just how much a stupid rank can matter to someone.
>
> yes I understand your feeling, I too have known players like that with the mentality of a child. I gave myself a hard time at the beginning of halo 5 to get my rank champion up, because I’m the last rank in all the halo ( competitive rank ) I like to give myself challenges like that.

The beginning of halo 5 had a horrible ranking system. The ranks from 2018(iirc this was when they finally began to try and re work it) and below aren’t even accurate and I wouldn’t even sweat it man. Theres people I know that had champ back then but can barely manage platinum right now and people that are onyx right now and were rank locked at like platinum back then. There was an entire re work of the ranking system at one point for this game and its actually one of the many reasons so many players abandoned this game unfortunately. Perhaps you know all of this if you’ve played it from then to now. The population is also so thin now that its hard to accurately rank players since their matches are all over the place being matched sometimes unfairly.

It all goes back to what I said though. That some people take that visual rank too serious. I get that its exciting to progress and get better. I mean that’s part of the fun…but yea man I’ve came across some extremely toxic players over this stuff. I’ve also seen people feel so down over deranking. It’s good to try to win of course, as you said challenge yourself and see how far you can get, but never losing sight of the main reason you play is important. For fun.