Catering to "Casual" or "Hardcore" players?

Who is 343i main target when they look at updates and the overall gaming experience? Right now, it seems like it’s geared towards the casual players. Now let me say this, when talking about casual players, I’m using that term in regards to the people who just play a few times a week for a short period of time. A huge argument would be that the REQ system makes everyone equal, whether you play for an hour a week, or twenty hours. Why is it that a player who spends less time playing a game awarded the same as a hardcore player? Why is it someone who doesn’t play the game but wants some cool armor, vehicles, weapons, etc can just put a credit card on and purchase some REQ packs while the hardcore player has spent hours to get half of what this casual player does? Why do the casual players have more say in the way the game is focused? That’s not saying their opinion doesn’t matter, because that’s not true. But why not cater to your hardcore gamers who will stick with you for the long run? Who will make your game the game you want it to be. People want BR starts, the hardcore players want BR starts. Casual like AR starts, why? It’s an easier gun to use and it’s a spray and pray. I’m not downing anyones play style, but it’s just the sad truth. I like Halo 5 a lot, more than Reach and Halo 4. It still has a lot to catch up to on Halo 2/3 though. One thing that would help a lot is the ranking system. Get rid of the sR and CSR ranking, it’s awful. No one enjoys it besides the kids who wouldn’t be able to get a high rank unless it didn’t matter with wins/loss’s. Who’s competitive ranking gets reset every month so that they have another chance to look better and not hold a rank. It’s catering to the opposite of what they wanted.

Hardcore obviously.

They wouldn’t have taken everything fun about Halo and gutted it out in the name of competition if they loved casuals. They listened to the people that said Halo was to casual and overcompensated by giving us this e-sports Halo game.

They don’t care about any of that. REQs=Money, friend.

Certainly not casual. Have you seen those ban times on leaving games? They mean business this time around.

Adding req packs similar to what the new arena pack sounds like to players that reach certain amount of hours played? Unlock a certain type of armor or weapon skin when you reach the marker for hours played? I’m somewhere between casual and hardcore, but do see a need to reward dedicated players.

Have you played the game or read any news on the game? 343 made it very clear they were targeting the hardcore competitive players. While with H4 its obvious they catered solely to the casual players. Maybe H6 they will do both by having enough gametypes for both.

“They’re catering to hardcore!” - e-sports emphasis and equal Arena starts

“They’re catering to casual!” - Warzone boss scoring and pizza skins

Can you pick a side, 343?

Neither.

They’re catering to the competitive types.
Vehicles, which made up one third of the fun, are only found in BTB and Warzone.
343i’s Halo 5 is an infantry-focused shooter with no intention of expanding any time soon.
The coming assault and it’s variations will just serve as a placebo - nothing more.

> 2533274825101441;6:
> Have you played the game or read any news on the game? 343 made it very clear they were targeting the hardcore competitive players. While with H4 its obvious they catered solely to the casual players. Maybe H6 they will do both by having enough gametypes for both.

The sad part is, even if 343 promised that Halo 6 would be a great combination of games/types to satisfy both casual and esports competitive gamers (which would be the one and only factor that’d make me consider even looking at buying it)… well, how could I believe them?

> 2533274820541653;1:
> Who is 343i main target when they look at updates and the overall gaming experience? Right now, it seems like it’s geared towards the casual players. Now let me say this, when talking about casual players, I’m using that term in regards to the people who just play a few times a week for a short period of time. A huge argument would be that the REQ system makes everyone equal, whether you play for an hour a week, or twenty hours. Why is it that a player who spends less time playing a game awarded the same as a hardcore player? Why is it someone who doesn’t play the game but wants some cool armor, vehicles, weapons, etc can just put a credit card on and purchase some REQ packs while the hardcore player has spent hours to get half of what this casual player does? Why do the casual players have more say in the way the game is focused? That’s not saying their opinion doesn’t matter, because that’s not true. But why not cater to your hardcore gamers who will stick with you for the long run? Who will make your game the game you want it to be. People want BR starts, the hardcore players want BR starts. Casual like AR starts, why? It’s an easier gun to use and it’s a spray and pray. I’m not downing anyones play style, but it’s just the sad truth. I like Halo 5 a lot, more than Reach and Halo 4. It still has a lot to catch up to on Halo 2/3 though. One thing that would help a lot is the ranking system. Get rid of the sR and CSR ranking, it’s awful. No one enjoys it besides the kids who wouldn’t be able to get a high rank unless it didn’t matter with wins/loss’s. Who’s competitive ranking gets reset every month so that they have another chance to look better and not hold a rank. It’s catering to the opposite of what they wanted.

The game itself caters to the more intense players. I would argue this particular update is catering a bit more towards the casual players with the addition of GB and Fiesta.

caters to casual players because they are more likely to use real coin to buy microtransactions
Hardcore would rather grind

Until H6, it’s going to be the same up hill battle…

A both, but more hardcore.

Halo 5 has a semi-steep learning curve.

AND (for the icing on the cake) they removed my precious playable Elites.

> 2533274803360167;11:
> caters to casual players because they are more likely to use real coin to buy microtransactions
> Hardcore would rather grind

Money talks…everything else walks… Good ol’ business in the US of A

> 2533274803360167;11:
> caters to casual players because they are more likely to use real coin to buy microtransactions
> Hardcore would rather grind

Not in my experience. I don’t want anywhere near arena or (overly) competitive game types… I love just for fun and casual game types. So why would I bother wasting real coin for anything if it doesn’t get me the game types I want to play?

> 2533274798121887;8:
> Neither.
>
>
>
> They’re catering to the competitive types.
> Vehicles, which made up one third of the fun, are only found in BTB and Warzone.
> 343i’s Halo 5 is an infantry-focused shooter with no intention of expanding any time soon.
> The coming assault and it’s variations will just serve as a placebo - nothing more.
>

umm vechs have always been in bigger maps

arena style halo has always been a thing as well…

but yes, if you want to run around with a tank in overgrowth be my guest

Halo 5 caters to the hardcore audience more than any Halo game in the past
They need to reach out to the casual audience because there’s more casual players who are more willing to spend money than there ever will be of hardcore players
I’ll admit, the customization for armors could have been handled better, but REQ’s literally only effect Warzone. If you have that much a problem with it, BTB is a suitable alternative
Casual players have more say because, again, they are the majority.
People want BR starts. Like who? Your friends? People on the forums? Have you conducted a sizable poll on the matter?
Casuals want AR starts. Where are you getting this information?
“I’m not downing anyones play style, but it’s the sad truth.” You ARE downing others play styles, and you don’t have any sort of information or evidence to back up this supposed “truth”.
Same thing with SR and CSR. Again, where are you getting this information?

I agree with some of these things, but you really need to work on your presentation. You sound whiny and come off as feeling entitled to things in which you are not. Just because you don’t understand a specific mechanic or feature in the game, doesn’t mean it has no relevance. With AAA games like this, lots of care and effort go into these kinds of things to make sure it appeals to the largest amount of people. 343 isn’t inherently wrong just because you happen to not fall into the larger group of people. However, if worded properly, your opinion on why you disagree with these things should be at least heard.

> 2533275010968401;16:
> > 2533274798121887;8:
> > Neither.
> >
> >
> >
> > They’re catering to the competitive types.
> > Vehicles, which made up one third of the fun, are only found in BTB and Warzone.
> > 343i’s Halo 5 is an infantry-focused shooter with no intention of expanding any time soon.
> > The coming assault and it’s variations will just serve as a placebo - nothing more.
> >

>
>
> umm vechs have always been in bigger maps
>
> arena style halo has always been a thing as well…
>
> but yes, if you want to run around with a tank in overgrowth be my guest

Many small maps have had vehicles in the past. For example: High Ground and Snowbound had the ghost. Ascension had a Banshee. Ghost town had a mongoose.

Last game was too casual and this one is to competitive. They haven’t found that middle ground that people loved about Halo 3.