Categorising the wider Halo media

There are excellent timeline/chronology guides out there, but it struck me when i was trying to organise my Kindle titles into Collections that there are definitely strands to the Halo Universe. I was trying to work these out to properly organise my e-Books collection.

Chronological Groups

• Forerunner (Trilogy plus short stories) - Pre-2552 - 2552 (Including Broken Circle here because it fairly stands alone otherwise) - Post-Covenant War to Created Uprising - Post-Created UprisingCharacter/Faction-based groups

• Blue Team (any Blue team - i.e. would include The Flood and e.g. Lone Wolf/Last Light) - Ace of Spades - Alpha-9 - Gray Team - Team Saber/Veta Lopis - Lucy/Tom - The Banished - Keepers of the One Freedom - Servants of the Abiding Truth - Chakas/343GS/SparkLocation-based groups

• Venezia - Onyx - Reach - The Lesser ArkStrand/Arc-based groups

• Forerunner Saga - Kilo-5 Trilogy - Battle Born - Blue Team Arc - Lucy/Tom Arc - Rion Forge/Ace of Spades Arc - Keepers of the One Freedom - The BanishedAm I missing anything obvious? Is this a pointless exercise?

Seeing your post here definitely made me realise I needed to organise my kindle collection into something a bit more coherent. I think its good enough to just organise them based off if if they are in a series together, at least for me. I’ve organised my collections well enough now that instead of scrolling through five pages of books on my laggy kindle, its down to just one of collections that I can tell which books are in.

Original Halo Books
The Flood ,First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx, Fall of Reach, Contact Harvest

Kilo Three Five Trilogy

Forerunner Trilogy

Grey Team
Cole Protocol, Envoy

Rion Forge
Smoke and Shadow, Renegades, Point of Light

Veta Lopis
Last Light, Retribution, Divine Wind

Alpha Nine
New Blood, Bad Blood

A Master Chief Story
Silent Storm, Oblivion, Shadows of Reach

Short Story Collections
Fractures, Evolutions, plus Shadow of Intent and any others which were already in one of the anthologies

Stand Alone Novels
Broken Circle, Hunters in the Dark, Legacy of Onyx

I think that about covers everything, with the only Halo books not linking to another being Broken Circle and Hunters in the Dark. Hopefully we’ll get a sequel to Legacy of Onyx soon as Tom and Lucy deserve one at least.

> 2533274943959286;2:
> A Master Chief StorySilent Storm, Oblivion, Shadows of Reach

Yeah I decided in the end all Blue Team in one place made more sense because all those are the group but then you do have the Ghosts of Onyx/Last Light ones missing Chief but how can you separate First Strike from The Flood

I mean, I know blue team are pretty big characters in Last Light, but I would still class it first a Veta Lopis book rather than a blue team book. A Master Chief Story is just the series of books written by Troy Denning on how Master Chief progresses throughout the war, and so they link in quite well with each other, more so than the other original Master Chief books. So many books in the Halo series link to each other that it does make it difficult to categorise, but I do love it when one books subtly references another or a previous side character crops up in another book later.

> 2533274943959286;4:
> I mean, I know blue team are pretty big characters in Last Light, but I would still class it first a Veta Lopis book rather than a blue team book. A Master Chief Story is just the series of books written by Troy Denning on how Master Chief progresses throughout the war, and so they link in quite well with each other, more so than the other original Master Chief books. So many books in the Halo series link to each other that it does make it difficult to categorise, but I do love it when one books subtly references another or a previous side character crops up in another book later.

Oh indeed. Apologies I should have specified that I saw categories as mutually inclusive rather than exclusive - I’d just include it in both.

That’s a fair point about the Denning series - worthy of inclusion as an extra collection