Casual and Non-Casual

So I keep hearing a lot of talk about how the new Halo is catering to the more serious gamer than that of the casual gamer. My question is what are the demographics of who is playing the game, is it more casual gamers or more serious gamers? If it was more serious gamers it would make sense to make the game a little more for them, and if there were more casual players who played then serious gamers, it would also make sense to cater to the more casual gamers. The only reason I’m brining this up is because I am hearing a lot of complaining about how 343i is catering more to the serious gamer and not the casual. If the demographic was more serious gamers than more casual players in my mind it makes sense to cater a little more to the serious players than that of the casual players.

What do you all think?

> 2533274876257384;1:
> The only reason I’m brining this up is because I am hearing a lot of complaining about how 343i is catering more to the serious gamer and not the casual.

When h4 launched, ppl would complain about how it tried to cater more to the casual gamers…sigh

> 2533274876257384;1:
> So I keep hearing a lot of talk about how the new Halo is catering to the more serious gamer than that of the casual gamer.

Lol. No it isn’t.

I think the real problem is that 343 has no freaking idea who they’re catering to. New fans? Old fans? People who aren’t fans? Casual? Competitive?

Bungie may not have a had a concise answer either, but I think they still had an idea. 343 hasn’t gotten any valuable input from what they’re doing right…because they haven’t done much right.

> 2535421619942348;4:
> I think the real problem is that 343 has no freaking idea who they’re catering to. New fans? Old fans? People who aren’t fans? Casual? Competitive?
>
> Bungie may not have a had a concise answer either, but I think they still had an idea. 343 hasn’t gotten any valuable input from what they’re doing right…because they haven’t done much right.

Bungie catered to the market they created with Halo CE . . . at least until Reach. As long as Halo timeshares in the overall FPS market it will never regain that status. If 343 wishes it to regain that status, they must make a game that defines its own market. They may not know how to do that.

> 2533274971476153;5:
> > 2535421619942348;4:
> > I think the real problem is that 343 has no freaking idea who they’re catering to. New fans? Old fans? People who aren’t fans? Casual? Competitive?
> >
> > Bungie may not have a had a concise answer either, but I think they still had an idea. 343 hasn’t gotten any valuable input from what they’re doing right…because they haven’t done much right.
>
>
>
> Bungie catered to the market they created with Halo CE . . . at least until Reach. As long as Halo timeshares in the overall FPS market it will never regain that status. If 343 wishes it to regain that status, they must make a game that defines its own market. They may not know how to do that.

Not going to disagree there. Even if it doesn’t play like the old stuff, I think everyone would prefer Halo to be unique from the other flashy sci-fi shooters taking up space in a bored genre. How would 343 do that?

> 2535421619942348;6:
> > 2533274971476153;5:
> > > 2535421619942348;4:
> > > I think the real problem is that 343 has no freaking idea who they’re catering to. New fans? Old fans? People who aren’t fans? Casual? Competitive?
> > >
> > > Bungie may not have a had a concise answer either, but I think they still had an idea. 343 hasn’t gotten any valuable input from what they’re doing right…because they haven’t done much right.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Bungie catered to the market they created with Halo CE . . . at least until Reach. As long as Halo timeshares in the overall FPS market it will never regain that status. If 343 wishes it to regain that status, they must make a game that defines its own market. They may not know how to do that.
>
>
> Not going to disagree there. Even if it doesn’t play like the old stuff, I think everyone would prefer Halo to be unique from the other flashy sci-fi shooters taking up space in a bored genre. How would 343 do that?

Apparently cutting sprint would suddenly make everything better, since people on an internet forum obviously know what’s best for the game.

> 2533274826802205;7:
> > 2535421619942348;6:
> > > 2533274971476153;5:
> > > > 2535421619942348;4:
> > > > I think the real problem is that 343 has no freaking idea who they’re catering to. New fans? Old fans? People who aren’t fans? Casual? Competitive?
> > > >
> > > > Bungie may not have a had a concise answer either, but I think they still had an idea. 343 hasn’t gotten any valuable input from what they’re doing right…because they haven’t done much right.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Bungie catered to the market they created with Halo CE . . . at least until Reach. As long as Halo timeshares in the overall FPS market it will never regain that status. If 343 wishes it to regain that status, they must make a game that defines its own market. They may not know how to do that.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Not going to disagree there. Even if it doesn’t play like the old stuff, I think everyone would prefer Halo to be unique from the other flashy sci-fi shooters taking up space in a bored genre. How would 343 do that?
>
>
>
>
> Apparently cutting sprint would suddenly make everything better, since people on an internet forum obviously know what’s best for the game.

Well okay then. Glad the internet has given the consumer a say in what happens to it.

Halo 4 was obviously the most casual Halo game. They’ve catered to the casual, now it’s time for the competitive. The Halo 5 beta was more teamwork-oriented than any Halo game I’ve played so far. It’s nice to switch it up a bit

> 2533274886246836;9:
> Halo 4 was obviously the most casual Halo game. They’ve catered to the casual, now it’s time for the competitive. The Halo 5 beta was more teamwork-oriented than any Halo game I’ve played so far. It’s nice to switch it up a bit

I don’t think so at all (H4) - skill-based ordnance drops, unlockable weapons etc ruined the game for a few “casual” people I know.

I think 343 trying to cater to both in H5 - they’re trying to find a balance, and the community is divided on whether or not they have done that successfully.

> 2533274886246836;9:
> Halo 4 was obviously the most casual Halo game. They’ve catered to the casual, now it’s time for the competitive. The Halo 5 beta was more teamwork-oriented than any Halo game I’ve played so far. It’s nice to switch it up a bit

Giving the good AAs, guns, powerups and buffs to the best is considered ‘Casual?’ Think that’s reaching a bit.