Cartoonish, Low Quality Texture Gameplay?

My opinion of the info:

Alright guys, I want you to rewatch the trailer again and specifically look at the textures of the walls and corridors. This reminds me so much of Battlefield 3 where the character and weapon textures are really good, however all the other textures are crap. These textures look SIGNIFICANTLY less detailed than Reach’s.

The game also looks as cartoony as -Yoink-! I thought this was just the case with Halo: Anniversary but it seems 343i is keeping that art direction, and frankly I hate it. Halo is meant to be a mature game, with a mature art style like Halo 3’s and ESPECIALLY Reach’s.

This is unrelated, but what’s up about not bringing back dual wielding (my favorite feature of Halo), adding custom loadouts and making your armor affect gameplay, like perks? This is NOT Halo. I get you guys are trying to make a new Halo trilogy and start everything fresh, but this series is STILL called Halo.

Frankly 343i, you deserve all this hate, because you decided to brag about how good the game is and tease us in so many ways, much like the stereotypical high school nerd-to-hotty relationship.

Just my 2 cents.

It’s not a big deal, the campaign is where it’s at.

> It’s not a big deal, the campaign is where it’s at.

I totally agree, but if they change the multiplayer so much, who’s to say they won’t do the same with the campaign? The soundtrack glimpse we heard of Halo 4 doesn’t even sound that good. It sounds like it would be fit in a Micheal Bay film of a Modern Warfare game.

You thought that Halo 3 had a mature art style??
Erm, no, it really didn’t. That award goes to Reach.

Frankly, I’m liking the art style in Halo 4. It reminds me of Halo 3 and I loved that game. Besides, texture will probably fare better in the final product.

Besides, I’m not going to play to stare at textures.

The mp maps look less detailed then the players and weapons because they are forerunner themed and forerunner structures don’t really have very much texture because they’re solid grey in color.(my theory)

Are you honestly complaining about textures and shaders in a pre-release build of any game? I’m not even going to argue any further.

Thats what I thought this game looks freaking cell shaded in some pics like borderlands dont know if I like that or not.

> Are you honestly complaining about textures and shaders in a pre-release build of any game? I’m not even going to argue any further.

To add on to this, the game is actually still in Alpha stages, I remember a while back when the Mass Effect 3 Demo Alpha got leaked to the public on mistake, a lot of textures were still unfinished, I assume the same for Halo 4 in its current state too.

> Are you honestly complaining about textures and shaders in a pre-release build of any game? I’m not even going to argue any further.

Sorry buddy but the streaming of textures and shadowing/lighting is one of the first things you focus on when in development for a game. Look at the Halo: Reach alpha gameplay (alpha builds are generally finished around a year before release), looks just like the retail game in terms of detail and lighting. Stop trying to be a smart alec and actually know something before you attempt to troll.

Oh yeah because the product doesn’t require further polishing or tweaking. /sarcasm

You can’t be serious OP. O wait you are…

If it goes down the more mature, dark but cartoony look, then it’s a welcome change. Reach was just bland, too much film grain and grey.

If you are going to complain about the cartoony look, you obviously didn’t like or play the first three Halos (and ODST) either.

it was just 1 map that was like that the others where pretty detailed, and the final part of the multiplayer gamplay video, saying halo then 4 looked like transfromers lol

> The game also looks as cartoony as -Yoink-! I thought this was just the case with Halo: Anniversary but it seems 343i is keeping that art direction, and frankly I hate it. Halo is meant to be a mature game, with a mature art style like Halo 3’s and ESPECIALLY Reach’s.

You must have played a different Halo 3 from the rest of us. It has a strong sci-fi look mixed with a touch of realism, just like Halo 3’s

> The game also looks as cartoony as -Yoink-! I thought this was just the case with Halo: Anniversary but it seems 343i is keeping that art direction, and frankly I hate it. Halo is meant to be a mature game, with a mature art style like Halo 3’s and ESPECIALLY Reach’s.

What makes anything “mature” is the subject matter it deals with, and how it deals with it; specifically, when subject matter is treated respectfully and rationally, it is considered to be treated “maturely.” Since the archetypical “mature” person is respectful and rational. What part of that requires drab colours and style? Halo 4’s visuals do evoke an otherworldly appearance, true. That’s a different matter from “maturity,” though. That’s verisimilitude and realism.

I put quotes around the word “mature” because, as was noted in one of the interviews, it’s a loaded word. It’s stuffed full of all kinds of hidden meanings that there is no consensus about, and using it to define anything is bound to fracture our understanding of what is being said, as a group.

They never said there was no duel wielding. Don’t draw conclusions just like that!

you do know the game is still in dev. it’s in a early stat so it going to look a little choppy.imo i think they look beautiful and going to turn out great.

> Oh yeah because the product doesn’t require further polishing or tweaking. /sarcasm
>
>
> You can’t be serious OP. O wait you are…
>
>
> If it goes down the more mature, dark but cartoony look, then it’s a welcome change. Reach was just bland, too much film grain and grey.
>
> If you are going to complain about the cartoony look, you obviously didn’t like or play the first three Halos (and ODST) either.

I loved all of the Halos, a huge fan since 2000, but C’MON. You have got to be kidding or a blind Halo fanboy (which I disapprove of, I like to look at things realistically) when you say the multiplayer gameplay doesn’t look that cartoony. And tweaks and polishing? Ya, that doesn’t mean a total rehash of the textures and art design.

Get your head out of your -Yoink-.

Don’t freak, graphics always improve from when they show a game for the first time they show it (the halo 4 trailer released today) to when they release the game. Don’t believe me? Look at halo reach beta footage, look at halo 3 beta footage, notice how different they look from the final product?

> The mp maps look less detailed then the players and weapons because they are forerunner themed and forerunner structures don’t really have very much texture because they’re solid grey in color.(my theory)

Exactly, Forunner tech is simple and smooth.

Uhh…I’m just going to assume you’re trolling.

If not…facedesk.

IT’S NOT THE FINAL PRODUCT.

> > Oh yeah because the product doesn’t require further polishing or tweaking. /sarcasm
> >
> >
> > You can’t be serious OP. O wait you are…
> >
> >
> > If it goes down the more mature, dark but cartoony look, then it’s a welcome change. Reach was just bland, too much film grain and grey.
> >
> > If you are going to complain about the cartoony look, you obviously didn’t like or play the first three Halos (and ODST) either.
>
> I loved all of the Halos, a huge fan since 2000, but C’MON. You have got to be kidding or a blind Halo fanboy (which I disapprove of, I like to look at things realistically) when you say the multiplayer gameplay doesn’t look that cartoony. And tweaks and polishing? Ya, that doesn’t mean a total rehash of the textures and art design.
>
> Get your head out of your -Yoink!-.

You know nothing of game development, one simple post processing effect, or a re-texture of one common texture can make a huge difference. So don’t go there and say “Well… It’s not going to look overall different.”