Cartoonish Graphics?

Now, for the most part, Halo 4 has some amazing graphics. However, at some points in the game, the graphics look shockingly cartoonish.

One of the most notable examples is the first mission, where we see the Covenant frigates and Requiem. The Covenant frigates looked incredibly cartoonish and colorful; the Covenant frigates from Halo 3 looked better.

Other things that come to mind include players in monitor mode in Forge and the Banshee and the Liches.

Maybe I’m just nit-picking, cause most of the time, the graphics in Halo 4 were pretty awesome, but I’m just wondering if anyone else felt the same way?

Only issue I’ve seen in any scenes is the way the covenant ship blows up when you hit it with the missile on the first level. Its pretty much on par with the halo ring blowing up in Halo CE.

hmmm…nope i thought the graphics were sick personally.

I’ve heard some other people say this, but I personally never noticed it and think that the graphics are pretty sick.

I understand what you are saying, but I LOVE that look, it reminds me of H3. The graphics for Halo 4 are stunning in my books.

TF2 looks cartoonish to me, this game does not, except for that missle and explosion. some of it looks as close as any video game has gotten to real.

No, the Covenant ships didn’t look anymore “Catoonish” then any other Halo game. They have always been colorful. Wanna know why their ships and weapons are purple? Because that’s the color of Elite blood. So, just like how red is the color of blood for us, which is associated with energy, war, danger, strength, power, determination, the same is true for the Elites and the color purple.

Sure as hell not as cartoony as Halo’3s.

I think that ship we blew up in the first mission came from one of the Mega bloks sets. Seriously it could’ve gone through a few more touch ups to make that scene more believable.

That’s my only issue with the graphics, that one particular bit just didn’t look very faithful to a ship getting blown up by a gigantic missile. But everything else was absolutely stunning, I did not expect to see such beauty on a 360.

I’ve always despised the use of the word “cartoonish” when people try to describe Halo’s art style, because the word misses the mark and only suggests that the game is childish. The word is “vibrant.”

What I mean is that the shade of purple as well as the green lights made the ships look very cartoonish (that’s the best way to describe it). Also, in general for all ships in the Campaign, the way they were designed did not make them seem like they were huge ships in the distance, more like smaller ships that aren’t that far away from the player.

> I’ve always despised the use of the word “cartoonish” when people try to describe Halo’s art style, because the word misses the mark and only suggests that the game is childish. The word is “vibrant.”

Exactly. The problem is so many people have been brainwashed by games like CoD or GoW to believe that the only way to have a mature game is to have a brownish-gray palette, that when a game comes along with some color, they immediately call it “cartoonish”.

> > I’ve always despised the use of the word “cartoonish” when people try to describe Halo’s art style, because the word misses the mark and only suggests that the game is childish. The word is “vibrant.”
>
> Exactly. The problem is so many people have been brainwashed by games like CoD or GoW to believe that the only way to have a mature game is to have a brownish-gray palette, that when a game comes along with some color, they immediately call it “cartoonish”.

(sigh)

I’m not calling Halo 4 graphics in general as cartoonish, just the examples I listed. Read the post. I even clarified that I thought that besides those particular things, the rest of the game looked just fine.