Cartographer's Gift: Where is the gift?

I am very excited for the December update, but I find calling it a gift a little insulting. Forge is something that should have been released with the game. I am fine with extra 2 month wait for forge, but don’t call it a gift. In the sneak peak they hardly even mention forge. There is literally 3 sentences about it and more than half of the “Forge” section is talking about the file browser.

Imagine you buy a new TV in October, you open it and there is no remote. The TV works without the remote, but it was advertised with one. They ship you a remote, but it doesn’t get to your house until mid December. Inside the box there is a note that says “here is our gift to you”. In both cases it is something you paid for, not a gift.

I am fine the fact that Forge took two extra months to complete, but I wish 343 would just own up to it being delayed rather than call it a gift.

gift
ɡɪft/
noun
noun: gift; plural noun: gifts
1.
a thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present.

> 2533274848285823;2:
> gift
> ɡɪft/
> noun
> noun: gift; plural noun: gifts
> 1.
> a thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present.

Imagine if we had to pay for Forge…

> 2533274848285823;2:
> gift
> ɡɪft/
> noun
> noun: gift; plural noun: gifts
> 1.
> a thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present.

And your point is? Forge was an advertised feature of the game before launch. I did pay for it as I would not have purchased the game if there was not going to be Forge.

> 2533274795538024;4:
> > 2533274848285823;2:
> > gift
> > ɡɪft/
> > noun
> > noun: gift; plural noun: gifts
> > 1.
> > a thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present.
>
>
> And your point is? Forge was an advertised feature of the game before launch. I did pay for it as I would not have purchased the game if there was not going to be Forge.

it wasn’t ready yet. would you rather have it at a later date or delay a whole game just because a custom game features and map creator is missing. Better later than broken.

> 2533274848285823;2:
> gift
> ɡɪft/
> noun
> noun: gift; plural noun: gifts
> 1.
> a thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present.

As a language nerd, I would like to point out that it is common for the colloquial use of words to differ slightly from their dictionary definiton.

OP is saying that 343 calling Forge a “gift” is insulting because a gift is typically something unexpected. Forge has been around for years and most of us expected it to be in the game at launch.

> 2535468295182479;6:
> > 2533274848285823;2:
> > gift
> > ɡɪft/
> > noun
> > noun: gift; plural noun: gifts
> > 1.
> > a thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present.
>
>
> As a language nerd, I would like to point out that it is common for the colloquial use of words to differ slightly from their dictionary definiton.
>
> OP is saying that 343 calling Forge a “gift” is insulting because a gift is typically something unexpected. Forge has been around for years and most of us expected it to be in the game at launch.

Cool story, but he was asking why they’re calling it a gift. And it’s because gifts are free.

> 2533274795862399;5:
> > 2533274795538024;4:
> > > 2533274848285823;2:
> > > gift
> > > ɡɪft/
> > > noun
> > > noun: gift; plural noun: gifts
> > > 1.
> > > a thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present.
> >
> >
> > And your point is? Forge was an advertised feature of the game before launch. I did pay for it as I would not have purchased the game if there was not going to be Forge.
>
>
> it wasn’t ready yet. would you rather have it at a later date or delay a whole game just because a custom game features and map creator is missing. Better later than broken.

Delay the whole game 100% I am super bored of the current maps and gamemodes, its like when you play a beta too much and you get sick of playing 3 maps on rotation.

> 2533274795862399;5:
> > 2533274795538024;4:
> > > 2533274848285823;2:
> > > gift
> > > ɡɪft/
> > > noun
> > > noun: gift; plural noun: gifts
> > > 1.
> > > a thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present.
> >
> >
> > And your point is? Forge was an advertised feature of the game before launch. I did pay for it as I would not have purchased the game if there was not going to be Forge.
>
>
> it wasn’t ready yet. would you rather have it at a later date or delay a whole game just because a custom game features and map creator is missing. Better later than broken.

Thank god for you.

> 2533274795862399;5:
> > 2533274795538024;4:
> > > 2533274848285823;2:
> > > gift
> > > ɡɪft/
> > > noun
> > > noun: gift; plural noun: gifts
> > > 1.
> > > a thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present.
> >
> >
> > And your point is? Forge was an advertised feature of the game before launch. I did pay for it as I would not have purchased the game if there was not going to be Forge.
>
>
> it wasn’t ready yet. would you rather have it at a later date or delay a whole game just because a custom game features and map creator is missing. Better later than broken.

I didn’t say that at all. I said in my post I didn’t mind waiting 2 months for forge.

yes plz

> 2533274848285823;7:
> > 2535468295182479;6:
> > > 2533274848285823;2:
> > >
>
>
> Cool story, but he was asking why they’re calling it a gift. And it’s because gifts are free.

Imagine you buy a new TV in October, you open it and there is no remote. The TV works without the remote, but it was advertised with one. They ship you a remote, but it doesn’t get to your house until mid December. Inside the box there is a note that says “here is our gift to you”.

In both cases it is something you paid for, not a gift.

> 2533274795538024;1:
> …
> A real gift would be to update the Custom Game options (they missing a lot of options) and release some more gametypes. Please sneak that into the update. It would make a great gift.

And when that “gift” comes out and is called a gift in its title, you will say, “This isn’t a gift. A gift would be something like a free map pack.

> 2533274857577417;3:
> > 2533274848285823;2:
> > gift
> > ɡɪft/
> > noun
> > noun: gift; plural noun: gifts
> > 1.
> > a thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present.
>
>
> Imagine if we had to pay for Forge…

If Bungie/Activision owned Halo we would be.

What about the free maps and Req’s ?

Why does this topic exist. This person is insulted that they’re being given something for free and that it is called a ‘‘gift’’.

> 2533274809541057;13:
> > 2533274795538024;1:
> > …
> > A real gift would be to update the Custom Game options (they missing a lot of options) and release some more gametypes. Please sneak that into the update. It would make a great gift.
>
>
> And when that “gift” comes out and is called a gift in its title, you will say, “This isn’t a gift. A gift would be something like a free map pack.

You completely missed the point of the thread. I don’t need a “gift” at all. I am fine the fact that Forge took two extra months to complete, but I wish 343 would just own up to it being delayed rather than call it a gift. I only added that section you quoted to show what an actual gift would be.

> 2533274826317859;15:
> What about the free maps and Req’s ?

Yep, I would be fine if they called it a Matchmaking gift. “Cartographer” in this case is specifically aimed towards people who forge and create maps.

> 2533274795538024;4:
> > 2533274848285823;2:
> > gift
> > ɡɪft/
> > noun
> > noun: gift; plural noun: gifts
> > 1.
> > a thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present.
>
>
> And your point is? Forge was an advertised feature of the game before launch. I did pay for it as I would not have purchased the game if there was not going to be Forge.

Please tell me where you remember them mentioning forge would be released with the launch of halo? How long have you been on the forums?

Its called a gift because have you seen the forge options? Its things forgers have been asking for years now. Any forger would be more than happy waiting a couple months to be able to use it.