Cap multiplayer to 60 FPS or turn off cross play

I will say it a thousand times I’m getting really sick of getting out framed by people in onyx lobbies. I’m not paying $1,000 for an Xbox series x. Until I can find one the game has not been running bad on my Xbox One x. But in competitive multiplayer is getting very aggravating getting out framed by high-end PC users. Just finished the match I was like dude nice FPS and he’s like what do you mean I’m like what are you 120 240 he’s like I’m 180 he’s like yeah I definitely have an advantage I’m like Jesus Christ. And for the little kids who don’t understand hz and FPS and why it matters in multiplayer feel free to educate yourself.

youtu.be/jsnVuXj_IDM

4 Likes

Idk man there’s a million ways you can get a Series X or GPU without buying scalped. You just gotta work for it. Maybe not this time of year, but that’s poor planning on your part. I bought my 6700xt earlier this year, for this game.

4 Likes

I mean I got mine locked at Best buy. They just got to get them in stock without being scalped up. The Halo series x is 1200 on Facebook marketplace and I’m like f*** that. But it still brings me back to the problem. Yes 120 will be a lot better but they’re still that slight no matter how small the advantage PC people running around at 180. Not to mention with explosions and it not very optimized very great that 120 will drop down to 100 to 80 FPS. I Like the Way Apex did it because it’s console versus console you know and it’s capped at 60. The higher frame rate is absolutely beautiful and I can especially tell the difference in a game like Apex with the movement how smooth it is. But Halo to me from Halo 3 has always been a competitive game and everybody should be on the equal footing. It’s not like this all the time but there’s one or two engagements that I can tell that I was out framed and not out br. Of course I know there’s a huge desync issue going on.

No such thing as 120 frames Halo. It’s locked at 60. Always has been.

Man that is so wrong. Halo was always locked at 30fps until Halo 5 which finally got 60fps, but it had to dynamically scale resolution to keep it that high. Halo Infinite has unlocked frame rate on both console and PC aka it will go as high as the hardware will let it.

3 Likes

I mean, anything between 90-140/150 is hardly noticeable and anything above 150 is nearly indistinguishable from anything higher.

I was talking Halo 5 and up. Not halo 4 and down

Okay, I mean Halo 5 was the only one that was locked at 60fps in that case. And with Halo 5: Forge on PC you could unlock the frame rate. Halo: MCC on PC has an unlocked frame rate and always has. Halo Infinite has never had a frame rate limit either. So you’re just wrong dude, on all fronts.

1 Like

Problem here is the Series X running at 120fps and feels perhaps the best, as well as having red reti. It easily compares and in some ways feels more consistent than my 3080 pc. I think the amount of consoles makes it tough to do this, 30fps One vs 120fps Series X is an insane difference.

1 Like

Lmfao I’m not playing at a capped 60fps.

Upgrade your hardware.

Besides the game is capped at a forced 120, forced framerates go no higher (game doesn’t allow me to force anything any higher, ceiling is at 144 but doesn’t allow a forced 144), 120fps is not a difficult feat to achieve in 2021 and I’m running on 6-8 year old second hand hardware.

2 Likes

An advantage, sure. But halo is so much more about positioning, teamwork, and gun skill. As someone who went from Xbox to pc, and still plays on an Xbox every once in a while, you’re kd would go up by a few percentage points, maybe. People will always have ways to gain an advantage. Scuff controllers, better monitors, caffeine, etc.

Honestly, just get better. Pro players would mop up pc players if they were playing on an original Xbox one.

2 Likes

Higher frames don’t make you a better player. Maybe they’ll help you react faster but that’s about it.
Halo doesn’t even reward having a faster reaction for anything outside of power weapons. Halo rewards sustained accuracy and teamwork above all else because of its long TTK.

Having a higher framerate makes the game more enjoyable for me and I do not appreciate having my rig arbitrarily capped in a game when it is capable of so much more. I am 100% against capping the multiplayer to 60fps.
PC players have been fighting against other players with different hardware and different framerates for decades and we have never found evidence that individuals with higher framerate became better at the game.

I do want the option to exclusively play against players using my control method though because we’re just doing different things and it’s silly to just lump us all together when one guy is twiddling sticks and the other is moving a mouse.

4 Likes

I understand that Halo Infinite has no framerate ceiling (the game will allow up to the refresh rate of the monitor), but can you confirm whether you can push the forced framerate cap above 120? From what I’ve read this is the limit, and will downscale resolution automatically past 71% to compensate.

I can go higher than 120, but my game doesn’t allow me to force anything higher than 120.

higher framerates are especially important in games with a long TTK. faster screen refreshes make the game more responsive for tracking targets and micro-adjusting your crosshair. it’s a very wide consensus that higher framerates improve your accuracy and precision.

though i’m in agreement that capping fps on a PC game is a recipe for disaster. this game just needs a crossplay toggle.

2 Likes

There is no 120 frames on Halo infnite. It’s 60

How do you mean? The frame rate will go as high as your hardware can push it. If you’re referring to the option to set min/max frame rates then when you set it to anything higher than your hardware will allow then the game will automatically enable resolution scaling to get it as close as possible to the number you set. I’m not sure if you’re playing on console or not, but there it may be limited to 120. On PC I can just type in my desired frame rate and force it as high as I want. Of course it’ll only go as high as the minimum resolution will allow it.

1 Like

You want me to send you a video of me playing on 90fps in 1440p? The game literally has a frame rate counter built in lol. Idk what else to tell you dude. Check out benchmarks for Halo Infinite on YouTube, watch streamers with good setups play, etc. There is no 60fps cap in Infinite.

3 Likes

Are you serious right now dude? I can’t tell if you’re trolling or just an idiot who hasn’t played Halo infinite… Xbox One is 30 FPS. Xbox One s is also 30 FPS. Xbox One x is 60. Xbox series s is also 60. An Xbox series x is 120. PC there’s no cap on PC like I said the guy who out framed me was playing on 180 FPS as I was playing on 60. He didn’t get me all the time but there was a few occasions I knew I was out frame there are times he also got me fairly. But in a first person shooter FPS matters a lot. Considering 60 FPS on Xbox One x is not always 60 will drop down to 50 to 40 on high stress situations.

2 Likes

I just looked him up on Halo Tracker to see. Here’s the kicker: he’s playing on a PC and doesn’t understand frame rates apparently. He’s gotta be trolling.

1 Like

Oh yeah I have a 144 hz monitor. I can play 144 frames in every other game. There is no option to change it higher than 60. So unless my game is broken then idk what your talking about because my computer can more than handle that many frames but yet there is no option to click anything above 60.