Can't seem to get out of the platinum ranks?

Hi everyone -

So as you can see by the title of this post, this is yet another complaint about the ranking system for Slayer. I have been stuck in the platinum ranking for about three months and cannot seem to get out of it. I’ll win a few games in a row to go from Platinum 3 to Platinum 4, but then will lose a few in a row to go right back to Platinum 3. I pretty much always play well and go positive (if you check my 10 most recent games, I only went negative a couple times, one of which was a big team battle where I entered VERY late into the game, and hit an even 14-14 once); it’s usually an issue of teammates in that if your team doesn’t do well, you can’t win the game. Because I am confident in my abilities as a player and want to play against better people (hopefully in diamond or onyx) and because I can’t change the ranking system/player balancing, how can I better communicate with my teammates to ensure more victiories? Also, would anyone like to team up with me to help rise through the ranks?

I don’t want to complain too much about the ranking system, but nothing sucks more than wanting to challenge myself against better players while being held back by randoms who don’t know how to play the game (or happen to have bad games, as we all do).

> 2535460503397320;1:
> Hi everyone -
>
> So as you can see by the title of this post, this is yet another complaint about the ranking system for Slayer. I have been stuck in the platinum ranking for about three months and cannot seem to get out of it. I’ll win a few games in a row to go from Platinum 3 to Platinum 4, but then will lose a few in a row to go right back to Platinum 3. I pretty much always play well and go positive (if you check my 10 most recent games, I only went negative a couple times, one of which was a big team battle where I entered VERY late into the game, and hit an even 14-14 once); it’s usually an issue of teammates in that if your team doesn’t do well, you can’t win the game. Because I am confident in my abilities as a player and want to play against better people (hopefully in diamond or onyx) and because I can’t change the ranking system/player balancing, how can I better communicate with my teammates to ensure more victiories? Also, would anyone like to team up with me to help rise through the ranks?
>
> I don’t want to complain too much about the ranking system, but nothing sucks more than wanting to challenge myself against better players while being held back by randoms who don’t know how to play the game (or happen to have bad games, as we all do).

I understand your frustration of playing with randoms and not communicating, it’s been an issue for most people when matching against full teams when you’re a solo player. My best advice for you if you don’t have any friends to play with, is just add people from previous games you felt did good and hope they want to play with you. Maybe join a spartan company that are willing to play arena as well.

Also, I’ve looked at your stats, while you may be doing well against gold and plats I assure you that playing against high diamond and onyx is not what you want to be doing right now. You have way more to improve till that level.

I feel ya OP. My Team Arena placement matches completely screwed me over. The last 6-7 matches of placement I was playing against high diamonds and onyx’s. I think I only ran into 1 other platinum player in those matches. I held my own in those matches, coming out 1st or 2nd on my team each time, but I get placed in platinum 4

There’s a large gap between platinum 6 and diamond 1

I remember when I cared about arena (I haven’t played it for months,besides infection) I was so close to diamond, in the last platinum rank I think (plat 5 or 6, not sure) then for all my matches I played Onyx players, and still was able to compete with them, but the rest of my team, even though they played well, couldn’t compete. I believe, when you lose against higher rank players (I.e plat vs onyx) but you still hold your own and contribute positively to the team (capture flags in CTF, or Postive KDA in slayer) it should increase you rank, as that shows you should be moving up. How does it make sense, that a platinum player who was able to give Onyx players a challenge, gets demoted? How does that rank skill? That frustrated me so much I decided to drop arena completely, there were other issues, such as losing connection to the H5G servers mid game (yay Australian connection ftw) or getting horrid team mates.

Yes I am in a Spartan company, been with them for months working on Achilles. I just haven’t regained my motivation to hit the arena again with this ranking system in place, it seems to punish solo players for not quitting and trying to carry the team, yet rewards bad players who piggy back off good players. I can’t be the only one who has played people ranked diamond or onyx and thought to myself “how did they get that rank playing like this?”. I’m not saying I deserve to be the highest rank, no, I just don’t think the ranking system is accurate or fair at all.

> 2533274875084332;4:
> I remember when I cared about arena (I haven’t played it for months,besides infection) I was so close to diamond, in the last platinum rank I think (plat 5 or 6, not sure) then for all my matches I played Onyx players, and still was able to compete with them, but the rest of my team, even though they played well, couldn’t compete. I believe, when you lose against higher rank players (I.e plat vs onyx) but you still hold your own and contribute positively to the team (capture flags in CTF, or Postive KDA in slayer) it should increase you rank, as that shows you should be moving up. How does it make sense, that a platinum player who was able to give Onyx players a challenge, gets demoted? How does that rank skill? That frustrated me so much I decided to drop arena completely, there were other issues, such as losing connection to the H5G servers mid game (yay Australian connection ftw) or getting horrid team mates.
>
> Yes I am in a Spartan company, been with them for months working on Achilles. I just haven’t regained my motivation to hit the arena again with this ranking system in place, it seems to punish solo players for not quitting and trying to carry the team, yet rewards bad players who piggy back off good players. I can’t be the only one who has played people ranked diamond or onyx and thought to myself “how did they get that rank playing like this?”. I’m not saying I deserve to be the highest rank, no, I just don’t think the ranking system is accurate or fair at all.

W/L ratio is what it’s based off of. Capping flags and playing the objectives mean nothing if you still lose in the end and you shouldn’t get promoted just cuz of it. the op says he’s stuck because he loses, he already knows the issue, now he needs to find a way over that hump.

Yea I keep trying to hit Diamond, but some days I just hit a random/quitters wall and back down I go.

> 2533274923562209;5:
> > 2533274875084332;4:
> > I remember when I cared about arena (I haven’t played it for months,besides infection) I was so close to diamond, in the last platinum rank I think (plat 5 or 6, not sure) then for all my matches I played Onyx players, and still was able to compete with them, but the rest of my team, even though they played well, couldn’t compete. I believe, when you lose against higher rank players (I.e plat vs onyx) but you still hold your own and contribute positively to the team (capture flags in CTF, or Postive KDA in slayer) it should increase you rank, as that shows you should be moving up. How does it make sense, that a platinum player who was able to give Onyx players a challenge, gets demoted? How does that rank skill? That frustrated me so much I decided to drop arena completely, there were other issues, such as losing connection to the H5G servers mid game (yay Australian connection ftw) or getting horrid team mates.
> >
> > Yes I am in a Spartan company, been with them for months working on Achilles. I just haven’t regained my motivation to hit the arena again with this ranking system in place, it seems to punish solo players for not quitting and trying to carry the team, yet rewards bad players who piggy back off good players. I can’t be the only one who has played people ranked diamond or onyx and thought to myself “how did they get that rank playing like this?”. I’m not saying I deserve to be the highest rank, no, I just don’t think the ranking system is accurate or fair at all.
>
>
> W/L ratio is what it’s based off of. Capping flags and playing the objectives mean nothing if you still lose in the end and you shouldn’t get promoted just cuz of it. the op says he’s stuck because he loses, he already knows the issue, now he needs to find a way over that hump.

You miss my point completely.

If a plat player can cap a flag against an Onyx team whilst maintaining a positive KDA, it’s utter stupidity to demote them. They showed skill being able to cap against a team of Onyxes, tell me that doesn’t show higher skill than platinum? Maybe not promotion, but definitely not a demotion that’s just rediculous.

Since day 1, matchmaking system has been pretty good to me. I usually face skilled level player. But this weekend was just, weird! I came across Diamond/Onyx most of the time even though I am Platinum (now 4 I think), but I started Gold 4 which I’m happy with. Here’s a few game that show some of the flaw of the matchmaking system. I’m searching on “focused” so I’m wondering if it has something to do with this. I’m platinum, but as good as Diamond or whatever…

A Diamond going 8-16
Seriously?!
Guess I’m facing Diamonds again
Look at that Onyx? He wasn’t AFK

It’s very easy to make it out of Plat, and getting solo Onyx is also very doable for many people. Naded got to Champ solo, so even that’s possible if you’re good enough.

When you drop a game don’t auto blame it on teammates, there are many people who carry games in Plat. Instead think about how you could have won the game instead. Think about critical moments, and what you could have done better. This will improve your game even in losses.

In Plat you can easily carry games by controlling powerups/weps and then controlling the map. Watch where your teammates go and try to teamshot with them. If your teammates are completely useless just bait them and try to always get the better numbers in engagements.

> 2533274875084332;7:
> > 2533274923562209;5:
> > > 2533274875084332;4:
> > > I remember when I cared about arena (I haven’t played it for months,besides infection) I was so close to diamond, in the last platinum rank I think (plat 5 or 6, not sure) then for all my matches I played Onyx players, and still was able to compete with them, but the rest of my team, even though they played well, couldn’t compete. I believe, when you lose against higher rank players (I.e plat vs onyx) but you still hold your own and contribute positively to the team (capture flags in CTF, or Postive KDA in slayer) it should increase you rank, as that shows you should be moving up. How does it make sense, that a platinum player who was able to give Onyx players a challenge, gets demoted? How does that rank skill? That frustrated me so much I decided to drop arena completely, there were other issues, such as losing connection to the H5G servers mid game (yay Australian connection ftw) or getting horrid team mates.
> > >
> > > Yes I am in a Spartan company, been with them for months working on Achilles. I just haven’t regained my motivation to hit the arena again with this ranking system in place, it seems to punish solo players for not quitting and trying to carry the team, yet rewards bad players who piggy back off good players. I can’t be the only one who has played people ranked diamond or onyx and thought to myself “how did they get that rank playing like this?”. I’m not saying I deserve to be the highest rank, no, I just don’t think the ranking system is accurate or fair at all.
> >
> >
> > W/L ratio is what it’s based off of. Capping flags and playing the objectives mean nothing if you still lose in the end and you shouldn’t get promoted just cuz of it. the op says he’s stuck because he loses, he already knows the issue, now he needs to find a way over that hump.
>
>
> You miss my point completely.
>
> If a plat player can cap a flag against an Onyx team whilst maintaining a positive KDA, it’s utter stupidity to demote them. They showed skill being able to cap against a team of Onyxes, tell me that doesn’t show higher skill than platinum? Maybe not promotion, but definitely not a demotion that’s just rediculous.

I’m not missing your point. What good is capping a flag regardless of who it’s vs if you still lose? Even h2 or h3 never rewarded you if you lost in any way from what I remember. I can already see we have a different view on this, I’m sorry but I personally don’t think people are immune to deranking just cuz of something they did in the game in a losing effort. what point is there to the ranking system if they add work around a into it? I agree it’s not perfect but it’s a lot better than reach or h4s xp system and its at least something of a challenge.

> 2533274872647908;8:
> Since day 1, matchmaking system has been pretty good to me. I usually face skilled level player. But this weekend was just, weird! I came across Diamond/Onyx most of the time even though I am Platinum (now 4 I think), but I started Gold 4 which I’m happy with. Here’s a few game that show some of the flaw of the matchmaking system. I’m searching on “focused” so I’m wondering if it has something to do with this. I’m platinum, but as good as Diamond or whatever…
>
> A Diamond going 8-16
> Seriously?!
> Guess I’m facing Diamonds again
> Look at that Onyx? He wasn’t AFK

I’ve been noticing more Diamonds in my matches the past 2 weeks. Most of them don’t do well in those matches which is odd to me

> 2533274872647908;8:
> Since day 1, matchmaking system has been pretty good to me. I usually face skilled level player. But this weekend was just, weird! I came across Diamond/Onyx most of the time even though I am Platinum (now 4 I think), but I started Gold 4 which I’m happy with. Here’s a few game that show some of the flaw of the matchmaking system. I’m searching on “focused” so I’m wondering if it has something to do with this. I’m platinum, but as good as Diamond or whatever…
>
> A Diamond going 8-16
> Seriously?!
> Guess I’m facing Diamonds again
> Look at that Onyx? He wasn’t AFK

The ranking system is in no way perfect but from my view it’s alright to see plays playing golds and lower diamonds (I play onyx level players constantly since I play with a mix of diamonds and onyx in my community). They’re going to generally be relatively close 3/4 of the time. what would be awful is plats playing high onyx and champion lvl players, heck, even some high diamonds could rock your -Yoink- depending.

> 2533274923562209;10:
> > 2533274875084332;7:
> > > 2533274923562209;5:
> > > > 2533274875084332;4:
> > > > I remember when I cared about arena (I haven’t played it for months,besides infection) I was so close to diamond, in the last platinum rank I think (plat 5 or 6, not sure) then for all my matches I played Onyx players, and still was able to compete with them, but the rest of my team, even though they played well, couldn’t compete. I believe, when you lose against higher rank players (I.e plat vs onyx) but you still hold your own and contribute positively to the team (capture flags in CTF, or Postive KDA in slayer) it should increase you rank, as that shows you should be moving up. How does it make sense, that a platinum player who was able to give Onyx players a challenge, gets demoted? How does that rank skill? That frustrated me so much I decided to drop arena completely, there were other issues, such as losing connection to the H5G servers mid game (yay Australian connection ftw) or getting horrid team mates.
> > > >
> > > > Yes I am in a Spartan company, been with them for months working on Achilles. I just haven’t regained my motivation to hit the arena again with this ranking system in place, it seems to punish solo players for not quitting and trying to carry the team, yet rewards bad players who piggy back off good players. I can’t be the only one who has played people ranked diamond or onyx and thought to myself “how did they get that rank playing like this?”. I’m not saying I deserve to be the highest rank, no, I just don’t think the ranking system is accurate or fair at all.
> > >
> > >
> > > W/L ratio is what it’s based off of. Capping flags and playing the objectives mean nothing if you still lose in the end and you shouldn’t get promoted just cuz of it. the op says he’s stuck because he loses, he already knows the issue, now he needs to find a way over that hump.
> >
> >
> > You miss my point completely.
> >
> > If a plat player can cap a flag against an Onyx team whilst maintaining a positive KDA, it’s utter stupidity to demote them. They showed skill being able to cap against a team of Onyxes, tell me that doesn’t show higher skill than platinum? Maybe not promotion, but definitely not a demotion that’s just rediculous.
>
>
> I’m not missing your point. What good is capping a flag regardless of who it’s vs if you still lose? Even h2 or h3 never rewarded you if you lost in any way from what I remember. I can already see we have a different view on this, I’m sorry but I personally don’t think people are immune to deranking just cuz of something they did in the game in a losing effort. what point is there to the ranking system if they add work around a into it? I agree it’s not perfect but it’s a lot better than reach or h4s xp system and its at least something of a challenge.

Well then you may as well quit if “you still lose”. Quitting and carrying the team to a loss both result in a loss of rank, so what’s the point right? Or maybe the ranking system shouldn’t pair Onyxes with platinums in the first place…

Besides, I still stand by my point that if a low ranked player maintains a positive KDA against a team of onyxes, they shouldn’t be demoted for losing.

> 2533274875084332;13:
> > 2533274923562209;10:
> > > 2533274875084332;7:
> > > > 2533274923562209;5:
> > > > > 2533274875084332;4:
> > > > > I remember when I cared about arena (I haven’t played it for months,besides infection) I was so close to diamond, in the last platinum rank I think (plat 5 or 6, not sure) then for all my matches I played Onyx players, and still was able to compete with them, but the rest of my team, even though they played well, couldn’t compete. I believe, when you lose against higher rank players (I.e plat vs onyx) but you still hold your own and contribute positively to the team (capture flags in CTF, or Postive KDA in slayer) it should increase you rank, as that shows you should be moving up. How does it make sense, that a platinum player who was able to give Onyx players a challenge, gets demoted? How does that rank skill? That frustrated me so much I decided to drop arena completely, there were other issues, such as losing connection to the H5G servers mid game (yay Australian connection ftw) or getting horrid team mates.
> > > > >
> > > > > Yes I am in a Spartan company, been with them for months working on Achilles. I just haven’t regained my motivation to hit the arena again with this ranking system in place, it seems to punish solo players for not quitting and trying to carry the team, yet rewards bad players who piggy back off good players. I can’t be the only one who has played people ranked diamond or onyx and thought to myself “how did they get that rank playing like this?”. I’m not saying I deserve to be the highest rank, no, I just don’t think the ranking system is accurate or fair at all.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > W/L ratio is what it’s based off of. Capping flags and playing the objectives mean nothing if you still lose in the end and you shouldn’t get promoted just cuz of it. the op says he’s stuck because he loses, he already knows the issue, now he needs to find a way over that hump.
> > >
> > >
> > > You miss my point completely.
> > >
> > > If a plat player can cap a flag against an Onyx team whilst maintaining a positive KDA, it’s utter stupidity to demote them. They showed skill being able to cap against a team of Onyxes, tell me that doesn’t show higher skill than platinum? Maybe not promotion, but definitely not a demotion that’s just rediculous.
> >
> >
> > I’m not missing your point. What good is capping a flag regardless of who it’s vs if you still lose? Even h2 or h3 never rewarded you if you lost in any way from what I remember. I can already see we have a different view on this, I’m sorry but I personally don’t think people are immune to deranking just cuz of something they did in the game in a losing effort. what point is there to the ranking system if they add work around a into it? I agree it’s not perfect but it’s a lot better than reach or h4s xp system and its at least something of a challenge.
>
>
> Well then you may as well quit if “you still lose”. Quitting and carrying the team to a loss both result in a loss of rank, so what’s the point right? Or maybe the ranking system shouldn’t pair Onyxes with platinums in the first place…
>
> Besides, I still stand by my point that if a low ranked player maintains a positive KDA against a team of onyxes, they shouldn’t be demoted for losing.

Actually if you are a plat and against a full team of onyxes, you technically don’t lose more than 1-2 points of CSR, I know because when I play against Champs I lose only 1 point every loss.

The only problem is when they mixup Onyx and other lower level ranks and you are still against some onyxes which makes it a bit unbalanced considering the skill gap between plats and onyx.

Your point, does makes sense and it’s implemented in Counter Strike:GO ranking system, where if you have a good K/D against higher ranks, you actually don’t lose points, but in Halo 5 it doesn’t matter how well you’ve done, you will lose/gain points based on your teams average CSR.
There is certainly a lot of improvement to be done and 343 could learn from other competitive games.

Stop bein good pls

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s frustrated with this system. I’m gonna do my best to improve and make some new Spartan friends along the way.

What do you guys think is the best way to improve?

> 2533275017010117;14:
> > 2533274875084332;13:
> > > 2533274923562209;10:
> > > > 2533274875084332;7:
> > > > > 2533274923562209;5:
> > > > > > 2533274875084332;4:
> > > > > > I remember when I cared about arena (I haven’t played it for months,besides infection) I was so close to diamond, in the last platinum rank I think (plat 5 or 6, not sure) then for all my matches I played Onyx players, and still was able to compete with them, but the rest of my team, even though they played well, couldn’t compete. I believe, when you lose against higher rank players (I.e plat vs onyx) but you still hold your own and contribute positively to the team (capture flags in CTF, or Postive KDA in slayer) it should increase you rank, as that shows you should be moving up. How does it make sense, that a platinum player who was able to give Onyx players a challenge, gets demoted? How does that rank skill? That frustrated me so much I decided to drop arena completely, there were other issues, such as losing connection to the H5G servers mid game (yay Australian connection ftw) or getting horrid team mates.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Yes I am in a Spartan company, been with them for months working on Achilles. I just haven’t regained my motivation to hit the arena again with this ranking system in place, it seems to punish solo players for not quitting and trying to carry the team, yet rewards bad players who piggy back off good players. I can’t be the only one who has played people ranked diamond or onyx and thought to myself “how did they get that rank playing like this?”. I’m not saying I deserve to be the highest rank, no, I just don’t think the ranking system is accurate or fair at all.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > W/L ratio is what it’s based off of. Capping flags and playing the objectives mean nothing if you still lose in the end and you shouldn’t get promoted just cuz of it. the op says he’s stuck because he loses, he already knows the issue, now he needs to find a way over that hump.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > You miss my point completely.
> > > >
> > > > If a plat player can cap a flag against an Onyx team whilst maintaining a positive KDA, it’s utter stupidity to demote them. They showed skill being able to cap against a team of Onyxes, tell me that doesn’t show higher skill than platinum? Maybe not promotion, but definitely not a demotion that’s just rediculous.
> > >
> > >
> > > I’m not missing your point. What good is capping a flag regardless of who it’s vs if you still lose? Even h2 or h3 never rewarded you if you lost in any way from what I remember. I can already see we have a different view on this, I’m sorry but I personally don’t think people are immune to deranking just cuz of something they did in the game in a losing effort. what point is there to the ranking system if they add work around a into it? I agree it’s not perfect but it’s a lot better than reach or h4s xp system and its at least something of a challenge.
> >
> >
> > Well then you may as well quit if “you still lose”. Quitting and carrying the team to a loss both result in a loss of rank, so what’s the point right? Or maybe the ranking system shouldn’t pair Onyxes with platinums in the first place…
> >
> > Besides, I still stand by my point that if a low ranked player maintains a positive KDA against a team of onyxes, they shouldn’t be demoted for losing.
>
>
> Actually if you are a plat and against a full team of onyxes, you technically don’t lose more than 1-2 points of CSR, I know because when I play against Champs I lose only 1 point every loss.
>
> The only problem is when they mixup Onyx and other lower level ranks and you are still against some onyxes which makes it a bit unbalanced considering the skill gap between plats and onyx.
>
> Your point, does makes sense and it’s implemented in Counter Strike:GO ranking system, where if you have a good K/D against higher ranks, you actually don’t lose points, but in Halo 5 it doesn’t matter how well you’ve done, you will lose/gain points based on your teams average CSR.
> There is certainly a lot of improvement to be done and 343 could learn from other competitive games.

I see, so that part of it has been adjusted/tweaked since I stopped, yet it has much room to still improve, I wasn’t aware of this obviously as I stopped arena.
I don’t play CSGO but the system you described makes so much more sense. As long I don’t lose points for carrying the team in an unbalanced ranked game. It doesn’t make sense for Halo 5 to rank you on a team based measurement, when you are playing solo. If I want to get higher with the current system, I’d have to run with a premade, which isn’t exactly fair then because then my team can make up for my lack of skill in some areas or they could carry me, so personally I’d prefer to earn my rank playing solo.

> 2535460503397320;16:
> Thanks for the responses, everyone. I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s frustrated with this system. I’m gonna do my best to improve and make some new Spartan friends along the way.
>
> What do you guys think is the best way to improve?

Honestly, for me I’d say firefight. It sounds odd, but here’s why:

1- A lot of enemies= You learn to dodge/strafe very very well
2- Headshots while enemies are moving and jumping= Lots of crawlers, so practice Headshots on them
3- Awareness- Since there are enemies everywhere, you learn how to move and kill as efficiently as possible

That’s where I improved, and what I gained playing a lot of firefight, and it helped. I played my first match of infection since FF dropped last night and I played very well, I was able to dodge the zombies and even infect so many people and survive as a zombie-I’ve never done that one before.

Other than that, just keep playing arena, practice practice practice. And find a Spartan company.

My only issue with the ranking system is a lack of party restrictions. There are more than enough teams out there searching to have them matching randoms. Other than that, I’ve never really had a problem getting an Onyx if I wanted one. For the most part I search solo because it’s fun to just chill in matchmaking. I do see your frustrations come out from when there are Onyx kids on my team that can’t go positive or break a certain number of kills in a game. That really comes from those kids searching full teams and then searching random later on after they’ve gotten their Onyx.

I guess I lied. My other issue is not being able to derank out of a division. There’s no real reason for me to compete after I get my Onyx. In Halo 3 it was always fun to try to make other teams / players lose their 50s so that was another bonus of playing that added to competitive games.

Just my 2 cents. It really turned into a small rant

> 2533274923562209;12:
> > 2533274872647908;8:
> > Since day 1, matchmaking system has been pretty good to me. I usually face skilled level player. But this weekend was just, weird! I came across Diamond/Onyx most of the time even though I am Platinum (now 4 I think), but I started Gold 4 which I’m happy with. Here’s a few game that show some of the flaw of the matchmaking system. I’m searching on “focused” so I’m wondering if it has something to do with this. I’m platinum, but as good as Diamond or whatever…
> >
> > A Diamond going 8-16
> > Seriously?!
> > Guess I’m facing Diamonds again
> > Look at that Onyx? He wasn’t AFK
>
>
> The ranking system is in no way perfect but from my view it’s alright to see plays playing golds and lower diamonds (I play onyx level players constantly since I play with a mix of diamonds and onyx in my community). They’re going to generally be relatively close 3/4 of the time. what would be awful is plats playing high onyx and champion lvl players, heck, even some high diamonds could rock your -Yoink- depending.

Yeah, so my most recent game is a pretty good example of what’s wrong with basing rank off of wins alone and not taking stats into account.

I played with randoms on team slayer and we barely won. The guy on our team who went 9 kills and 20 deaths goes up by just as much in csr as I do for going 25 kills and 13 deaths. Meanwhile, the top guy on the other team ranks down for going 18 kills and 15 deaths because one of his teammates couldn’t pull his weight, and that teammate that went 8 kills and 15 deaths goes down by about the same amount. The matchmaking paired several people of considerably different skill levels and it was more about the luck of the draw for who your teammates were that decided who ranks up or down.

Btw, we had a guy quit at the beginning, and my team of three gold players beat a diamond 1, a plat 4 and a plat 1. Matchmaking put a team with 3 people above our highest rank and the team with the better rankings and a numbers advantage lost. That’s about the clearest example of a ranking system failing.

I placed lower in this playlist than I think I should have, and I can’t rank up despite regularly getting a kda over 8. My best ranking is plat 5 in team arena, and I regularly lose games because of random teammates quitting or not being able to keep up. I’m not the best player, but I feel like I should be low diamond. I think Halo 3’s true skill ranking was the right way to do it.