Canon reason for the change of the Dawn in H4?

Has there ever been a canon reason for the Forward Unto Dawn’s drastic change in appearance from Halo 3 to Halo 4? It seems that it was originally intended to be a retcon of all Charon-class frigates but that seems to have been scrapped by 343i and the new design turned into the Strident-class frigates. But now were left with this huge discrpency. What do we make of this? H4’s Dawn doesn’t even have the cargo bay the warthog jumped into! So then how did John even get on the Dawn in the first place? Are we just ignoring how it looks in Halo 4? That seems ridiculous.

This is even worse than the CEA Halo ring or H2A New Mombasa issues.

I think 343 thinks apperearance is not that important in canon. All different appeaarances are different interpretations of same thing if there isn’t canonical explanation to it. Like different appearance of elites in halo 4/ halo 5.
It’s annoying because it breaks consistency of the lore but it gives more freedom to artists and imagination I guess.

Cortanan must have used nanotechnology to alter the ship to make it more modern… Wait a minute…

There is a huge difference between the dawn at the end of H3 and at the start of H4. It always irked me seeing how different they made it, but then again, it wouldn’t be much of a level if they kept the original design which is puny in comparison to the new one.

It was confirmed (I think in a canon fodder) that the FuD was a Charon class frigate as seen in Halo 3. The Strident in Halo 4 is artistic license/ money-saving model reuse. It’s why Thel’s facial structure is different in Halo 2A and Halo 5 as well.

It’s the same reason the Pillar of Autumn was 3 times longer than it actually is during the warthog run of CE. Gameplay.
The Dawn is a Charon-Class still.

The same reason Chief found Halo 4-era weaponry and vehicles at the start of Halo as opposed to the technology seen in Halo 3. To save money and time by reusing resources. Although it would have been cool if the visuals at the start of the game had been more faithful to Halo 3, I think it would detract from developing other areas of the game. It’s a fair trade-off.

Canonically speaking, The Forward unto Dawn is still a Charon-class frigate, as others have pointed out. Just like how the Spartan-IIs didn’t really possess Mark VI armour during Halsey’s flashbacks.

The Halo 3 model wasn’t detailed enough and they weren’t going to build half of a Charon Class for a 10 second scene. It’s that simple. In Halo 2 the Pillar of Autumn is a Marathon Class Cruiser. Is that a retcon? No of course not, they just used their Marathon Class model as a stand in because that’s what they had available at the time.

Honestly I just take appearance changes the same way I take graphical upgrades between games. They are all artistic representations of an idea. As long as it still communicates that concept, then I don’t really see the issue.

It’s the same deal with chief’s h2-h3 hud and armor changes, the h2-h3 changes of high charity’s doors. The arbiter getting mandible armor in h3. The numerous revisions of elite physiology over the years, or the design of new mombasa.

And some things are also just gameplay. The original FuD was kind of small for a campaign level, especially cut in half. They could have just done a Pillar of Autumn and had the interior layout make no sense. The PoA’s interior space, not counting the warthog run, actually puts the bridge somewhat in the middle. The warthog run is 3x the length of the ship, and has you leave through the middle of the side. There’s also that really weird gaping gap in the ship where Foehammer comes to pick you up that shouldn’t exist.

Its just to save time and resources which while not ideal is understandable. The FuD is still conically Charon class frigate they just happened to use a model from the Strident frigate.

> 2533274907934539;5:
> It’s the same reason the Pillar of Autumn was 3 times longer than it actually is during the warthog run of CE. Gameplay.
> The Dawn is a Charon-Class still.

There is a difference however between a clip that shows for 3 seconds vs the entire first level of the game.

> 2533274916710415;4:
> It was confirmed (I think in a canon fodder) that the FuD was a Charon class frigate as seen in Halo 3. The Strident in Halo 4 is artistic license/ money-saving model reuse. It’s why Thel’s facial structure is different in Halo 2A and Halo 5 as well.

This, It was like the 1st canon fodder

> 2533274825022855;10:
> > 2533274907934539;5:
> > It’s the same reason the Pillar of Autumn was 3 times longer than it actually is during the warthog run of CE. Gameplay.
> > The Dawn is a Charon-Class still.
>
>
> There is a difference however between a clip that shows for 3 seconds vs the entire first level of the game.

We see the Dawn for about 3 seconds too.

It had to be expanded for gameplay reasons, and its appearance used a Strident model for time/budget resources, because it only appears for a few seconds. As said above, the Pillar of Autumn was a Marathon class cruiser in Halo 2, but is still canonically a Halcyon.

> 2533274907934539;12:
> > 2533274825022855;10:
> > > 2533274907934539;5:
> > > It’s the same reason the Pillar of Autumn was 3 times longer than it actually is during the warthog run of CE. Gameplay.
> > > The Dawn is a Charon-Class still.
> >
> >
> > There is a difference however between a clip that shows for 3 seconds vs the entire first level of the game.
>
>
> We see the Dawn for about 3 seconds too.
>
> It had to be expanded for gameplay reasons, and its appearance used a Strident model for time/budget resources, because it only appears for a few seconds. As said above, the Pillar of Autumn was a Marathon class cruiser in Halo 2, but is still canonically a Halcyon.

Are you forgetting that you play the first mission ON the Dawn? You see it all around you, especially when you deploy the missile.

Almost all of the changes to armor, weapons, and the ship itself before contact with Infinity are not canon. Until the level Infinity, Chief was using equipment from 2552 it’s just because of time/money they used the same models as Halo 4. Same goes for the II’s in the prologue with Halsey, the armor may have been Chief’s modified armor but in reality it was MK IV

> 2533274883849234;14:
> Almost all of the changes to armor, weapons, and the ship itself before contact with Infinity are not canon. Until the level Infinity, Chief was using equipment from 2552 it’s just because of time/money they used the same models as Halo 4. Same goes for the II’s in the prologue with Halsey, the armor may have been Chief’s modified armor but in reality it was MK IV

Well John’s armor IS canon, Cortana changed it during the 4+ years he was in cryo. As for weapons the only UNSC weapons we see in Dawn are the AR, BR and Pistol. The MA5D was in use as early as 2526 but the MA5B and MA5C was simply more commonplace during the war. The BR85HB was actually fielded late in the Covenant War(It just didn’t become widespread til after) so its possible a few might had been on the Dawn, and the M6H was in use as early as 2526 much like the AR.

The only issue is the ship.

> 2533274825022855;15:
> > 2533274883849234;14:
> > Almost all of the changes to armor, weapons, and the ship itself before contact with Infinity are not canon. Until the level Infinity, Chief was using equipment from 2552 it’s just because of time/money they used the same models as Halo 4. Same goes for the II’s in the prologue with Halsey, the armor may have been Chief’s modified armor but in reality it was MK IV
>
>
> Well John’s armor IS canon, Cortana changed it during the 4+ years he was in cryo. As for weapons the only UNSC weapons we see in Dawn are the AR, BR and Pistol. The MA5D was in use as early as 2526 but the MA5B and MA5C was simply more commonplace during the war. The BR85HB was actually fielded late in the Covenant War(It just didn’t become widespread til after) so its possible a few might had been on the Dawn, and the M6H was in use as early as 2526 much like the AR.
>
> The only issue is the ship.

There was also a sniper rifle and SAW on the level Requiem. While the SAW has been around since the 22nd century, the SRS99-S5 AM (Halo 4 Sniper) was not put into service until AFTER the war ended.

Probably the biggest mistake of Halo 4. But it’s also very logical. So I don’t blame 343 but I would have voted for either not showing the outside or not at all if I was part of the decision making proses. But I’m not.

Which is a good thing

> 2533274825022855;13:
> > 2533274907934539;12:
> > > 2533274825022855;10:
> > > > 2533274907934539;5:
> > > > It’s the same reason the Pillar of Autumn was 3 times longer than it actually is during the warthog run of CE. Gameplay.
> > > > The Dawn is a Charon-Class still.
> > >
> > >
> > > There is a difference however between a clip that shows for 3 seconds vs the entire first level of the game.
> >
> >
> > We see the Dawn for about 3 seconds too.
> >
> > It had to be expanded for gameplay reasons, and its appearance used a Strident model for time/budget resources, because it only appears for a few seconds. As said above, the Pillar of Autumn was a Marathon class cruiser in Halo 2, but is still canonically a Halcyon.
>
>
> Are you forgetting that you play the first mission ON the Dawn? You see it all around you, especially when you deploy the missile.

Looking around has nothing to do with the appearance of the ship.

We see the Dawn’s model for just a couple seconds. What we see inside has no bearing on what the exterior of the ship looks like.

> 2533274907934539;18:
> > 2533274825022855;13:
> > > 2533274907934539;12:
> > > > 2533274825022855;10:
> > > > > 2533274907934539;5:
> > > > > It’s the same reason the Pillar of Autumn was 3 times longer than it actually is during the warthog run of CE. Gameplay.
> > > > > The Dawn is a Charon-Class still.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > There is a difference however between a clip that shows for 3 seconds vs the entire first level of the game.
> > >
> > >
> > > We see the Dawn for about 3 seconds too.
> > >
> > > It had to be expanded for gameplay reasons, and its appearance used a Strident model for time/budget resources, because it only appears for a few seconds. As said above, the Pillar of Autumn was a Marathon class cruiser in Halo 2, but is still canonically a Halcyon.
> >
> >
> > Are you forgetting that you play the first mission ON the Dawn? You see it all around you, especially when you deploy the missile.
>
>
> Looking around has nothing to do with the appearance of the ship.
>
> We see the Dawn’s model for just a couple seconds. What we see inside has no bearing on what the exterior of the ship looks like.

I think he means the launch deck outside.

> 2533274883849234;16:
> > 2533274825022855;15:
> > > 2533274883849234;14:
> > > Almost all of the changes to armor, weapons, and the ship itself before contact with Infinity are not canon. Until the level Infinity, Chief was using equipment from 2552 it’s just because of time/money they used the same models as Halo 4. Same goes for the II’s in the prologue with Halsey, the armor may have been Chief’s modified armor but in reality it was MK IV
> >
> >
> > Well John’s armor IS canon, Cortana changed it during the 4+ years he was in cryo. As for weapons the only UNSC weapons we see in Dawn are the AR, BR and Pistol. The MA5D was in use as early as 2526 but the MA5B and MA5C was simply more commonplace during the war. The BR85HB was actually fielded late in the Covenant War(It just didn’t become widespread til after) so its possible a few might had been on the Dawn, and the M6H was in use as early as 2526 much like the AR.
> >
> > The only issue is the ship.
>
>
> There was also a sniper rifle and SAW on the level Requiem. While the SAW has been around since the 22nd century, the SRS99-S5 AM (Halo 4 Sniper) was not put into service until AFTER the war ended.

I can’t find anything stating the S5 was not in service til after the war. Most media simply states it became widespread after the war, Halopedia even says it was used during the Covenant War.