Cannot Kill anyone..lag..or is everyone good?

I been trying to get back into reach since completing all the achievements for all the halo games but For some reason I am struggling to get kills in this game.

Please save the “You SUCK” comments at the door and try to spend a couple brain cells to better explain my dilemma.

No matter what game type i am playing, I end up getting killed very easily. Whats the most frustrating thing is 8/10 times I have the element of surprise for the opposing player and i fire first hitting them nearly every time, yet they never seem to die and kill me with very little effort.

Example: Asyslum-Team Slayer: Shooting a guy from behind with dmr…took 6 shots for shield to go down. He then turns around and kills me with 3 shots from a pistol without a headshot while taking 3 addition shots to his unshielded body. I was full health and shields

That is just one of many examples of my frustration. I even tried with griffball and see the opposing play having a complete jump on me in terms of timing.

IS this a Lag issue with reach? or am I in a slump.

I want to say it is lag because i played H3 and completely dominated. Here is my side by side comparison on the same day

H3- Social Slayer Kdr
22/3
18/6
20/5
21/8
16/6
21/5

Reach-Team Slayer/Griffball
12/13
15/20
8/12
6/9
35/46
29/36

I seem to always struggle in reach no matter what game type i play. What i notice is that the enemy has a good second or 2 time advantage on me as if i am lagging but my network indicator is green.

Does This happen to anyone else? Can anyone relate or help explain my situation. SOrry for the long post.

Thank you

I can /try/ to help but I’ll need to know a little bit.

What sort of connection are you running on?

Download?

Upload?

Ping to the other side of the world?

Where about are you located?

What is your NAT appearing as?

From someone with absolutely horrid connection: Sounds like me.

I used to have pretty decent connection, but for the past 4-5 months it takes 3 dmr shots for my bullets to register (not joking, I can shoot someone 3 times with a dmr and see the bullets hit but no sheild flash). As of late, my ability has gone down conciderably, and yet everytime I’m doing something like a 1v1 I seem to do just fine if not better (though still takes six shots to take sheild down).

I honestly can’t use a DMR anymore, and while I used to be able to win FFAs with ease, I find myself losing fights I should clearly win. For example, Sword Base. Someones been damaged by a grenade. It should be a 2 shot, if not one shot, kill. Takes 4 shots to get through sheild, and by that time I’m dead.

Anyway, I think the reason you’re dieing fast is similar to mine. Lag. While you see three shots ring out, they’ve likely shot an entire mag into you. I know this happens to me a lot, be it halo or COD.

So yeah, I’m pretty much certain it’s lag.

> From someone with absolutely horrid connection: Sounds like me.
>
> I used to have pretty decent connection, but for the past 4-5 months it takes 3 dmr shots for my bullets to register (not joking, I can shoot someone 3 times with a dmr and see the bullets hit but no sheild flash). As of late, my ability has gone down conciderably, and yet everytime I’m doing something like a 1v1 I seem to do just fine if not better (though still takes six shots to take sheild down).
>
> I honestly can’t use a DMR anymore, and while I used to be able to win FFAs with ease, I find myself losing fights I should clearly win. For example, Sword Base. Someones been damaged by a grenade. It should be a 2 shot, if not one shot, kill. Takes 4 shots to get through sheild, and by that time I’m dead.
>
> Anyway, I think the reason you’re dieing fast is similar to mine. Lag. While you see three shots ring out, they’ve likely shot an entire mag into you. I know this happens to me a lot, be it halo or COD.
>
> So yeah, I’m pretty much certain it’s lag.

Living in the UK I get my fair share of lag all too often too, sometimes to the point where an entire clip of DMR ammunition into someone’s head in a SWAT game won’t kill them.

This is where positioning is vital, taking the opponent from an angle they won’t expect or from somewhere that they can’t see or watch. By coordinating with team mates and with a bit of map knowledge, you can vastly improve the chances of seeing someone before they see you, it’s why despite the lag I tend to do pretty well in SWAT where the first sighting is most often what makes a kill or a death.

I can /try/ to help but I’ll need to know a little bit.

What sort of connection are you running on? Cable

Download? 9.5Mbps

Upload? 1.2Mpbs

Ping to the other side of the world? 140ish

Where about are you located? Florida

What is your NAT appearing as? Mix between Average/Bad (Yellow/Red)

Is it my connection?

I dont have this problem in H3

My connection has improved since last year but I had a pretty unreliable connection in Halo and what worked for me was starting with a strategy that worked for me with that amount of lag.
I’d grab close quarters weapons or vehicles and slowly expand my range of guns and abilities I use over the months. Right now I am a good DMR and even sniper. My playstyle went from running and gunning (Halo 3) to gunning and then running away (Reach). I still get most of my kills in pretty unfair firefights.
People may hate me for the way I play but at least I don’t hate playing.

So for you I’d advice not playing Griffball and maybe focusing on Objective if that suits your interests. Start out with a conservative strategy but slowly try out new things (i.e. go from camping around corners to flanking to owning).
Some extra advice: try crouching while DMRing, it drastically reduces bloom and it’s very useful when you’re laggy.

> I can /try/ to help but I’ll need to know a little bit.
>
> What sort of connection are you running on? Cable
>
> Download? 9.5Mbps
>
> Upload? 1.2Mpbs
>
> Ping to the other side of the world? 140ish
>
> Where about are you located? Florida
>
> What is your NAT appearing as? Mix between Average/Bad (Yellow/Red)
>
> Is it my connection?
>
> I dont have this problem in H3

Well it’s not your Download or your Upload that should be causing the problem, and 140 ping to the other side of the world is pretty good too. Finally, location isn’t a problem in this case either.

I think it’s likely your NAT, I’d suggest opening the ports listed on this thread.

Namely the ports are:

> Xbox_LIVE1 - 3074 - 3074 - 10.0.0.55 - TCP/UDP
> Xbox_LIVE2 - 80 - 80 - 10.0.0.55 - TCP
> Xbox_LIVE3 - 88 - 88 - 10.0.0.55 - UDP
> Xbox_LIVE4 - 53 - 53 - 10.0.0.55 - TCP/UDP
> Xbox_LIVE5 - 77 - 77 - 10.0.0.55 - TCP/UDP
> Xbox_LIVE6 - 3330 - 3330 - 10.0.0.55 - TCP/UDP
> Xbox_LIVE7 - 1900 - 1900 - 10.0.0.55 - UDP
> Xbox_LIVE8 - 2869 - 2869 - 10.0.0.55 - TCP/UDP
> Xbox_LIVE9 - 10243 - 10243 - 10.0.0.55 - TCP/UDP
> Xbox_LIVE10 - 10280 - 10284 - 10.0.0.55 - TCP/UDP(WATCH OUT, this one’s end is different than the start!)
> Xbox_LIVE11 - 1863 - 1863 - 10.0.0.55 - TCP/UDP

Also, try setting your Xbox 360 as the DMZ, that may help too.

Finally, ALWAYS wire in your 360 via an Ethernet cable if you can! No matter how close your 360 is to your router, wired-in is always better than wireless as the cable makes the connection near-instantaneous if it’s connected directly.

Just from my experience alone I believe that the NAT has a much bigger impact on Reach than it did on Halo 3, that’s probably why you don’t experience the same problem on Halo 3 that you do on Reach.

Also, stay AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE from Grifball, the lag in it makes it unplayable on a competitive level.

Depends on what playlist you’re playing. But the main reason with most people who have a hard time with this game, how fast are you shooting? (You’d be surprised)

Thanks…How to i do that on the xbox…or do i need to do that on the computer?..what is DMZ? As for shooting…i pace my shots…i am rather accurate…but the game isnt registering my shots

I used to have all kinds of lag problems at my house… the only available ethernet port was 60 feet from the Xbox and the service itself was sketchy. I’d get weird things like teleporting vehicles, phantom suicides/betrayals, assassinations that didn’t assassinate, etc. I just had to live with it until I got better Internet.

And not trying to offend anyone at all but slumps do happen. I used to be a swat god when I started on reach and now I stay fifty feet away from that death trap, for my sanity’s sake and K/D as well. Grifball also seems laggy to me sometimes (or maybe I’m just no good at it)…?

I recently shot someone 4 times, the 4th to the head, with a NR and they didn’t die.

> Xbox_LIVE1 - 3074 - 3074 - 10.0.0.55 - TCP/UDP
> Xbox_LIVE2 - 80 - 80 - 10.0.0.55 - TCP
> Xbox_LIVE3 - 88 - 88 - 10.0.0.55 - UDP
> Xbox_LIVE4 - 53 - 53 - 10.0.0.55 - TCP/UDP
> Xbox_LIVE5 - 77 - 77 - 10.0.0.55 - TCP/UDP
> Xbox_LIVE6 - 3330 - 3330 - 10.0.0.55 - TCP/UDP
> Xbox_LIVE7 - 1900 - 1900 - 10.0.0.55 - UDP
> Xbox_LIVE8 - 2869 - 2869 - 10.0.0.55 - TCP/UDP
> Xbox_LIVE9 - 10243 - 10243 - 10.0.0.55 - TCP/UDP
> Xbox_LIVE10 - 10280 - 10284 - 10.0.0.55 - TCP/UDP(WATCH OUT, this one’s end is different than the start!)
> Xbox_LIVE11 - 1863 - 1863 - 10.0.0.55 - TCP/UDP

Be careful about posting the ports in detail Hackers can rearrange them and then we are deeply screwed. Not to mention, Cisco and MS would be pretty pissed off.