Can we get English-speaking enemies again?!?!

Something that always got me sad when a new halo game came out after Halo 3: ODST, is that the enemies no longer spoke English. I always enjoyed the little dialogue they’d shout to each other and call out that they’ve, “finally killed he arbiter” or something if they managed to gun you down. Really want more of that entertaining dialogue.

It would be nice to have a skull activate this, but I do like the fact that they speak their own language. It makes the enemies feel more alien again. I feel Reach did this very well.

No we do not that back. They are aliens and they speak a completely different language. If we have Covenant allies in Guardians (I hope we do in the sections with Thel) then they can speak English.

English speaking enemies have been in Halo since CE, and they never should have left. It was dumb of Bungie to make them speak gibberish in Reach just to make the game seem more dark and serious, and 343 was not much better after following suit with Halo 4. There is no canon excuse not to include them. I’ve seen people claim that Cortana was the only reason Chief could understand the Covenant, but that doesn’t explain how other characters could understand the Covenant in ODST and Halo Wars. In other words, it’s up to the sound director whether the covenant speak in a comprehensible language or not.

I don’t want something like this shoved to a corner with some dumb skull that you have to toggle either. If anything, English-speaking Covenant should be default, and people who claim that it “ruins the immersion” or whatever can have a skull that turns the Covenant into gargling monsters.

> 2535432359236232;4:
> English speaking enemies have been in Halo since CE, and they never should have left. It was dumb of Bungie to make them speak gibberish in Reach just to make the game seem more dark and serious, and 343 was not much better after following suit with Halo 4. There is no canon excuse not to include them. I’ve seen people claim that Cortana was the only reason Chief could understand the Covenant, but that doesn’t explain how other characters could understand the Covenant in ODST and Halo Wars. In other words, it’s up to the sound director whether the covenant speak in a comprehensible language or not.
>
> I don’t want something like this shoved to a corner with some dumb skull that you have to toggle either. If anything, English-speaking Covenant should be default, and people who claim that it “ruins the immersion” or whatever can have a skull that turns the Covenant into gargling monsters.

Ummmm Halo CE they didn’t speak English…remember how wort wort wort came to be?

And there’s no canon excuse!?? They’re ALIENS, they have their own languages. The new saga is going for a more mature tone so it’s fitting to have them speak their own language. Honestly what is the big deal with this? why is it so black and white?: Covenant speak their own language and sound like monsters? OH NO they must be completely mindless creatures with no intelligence whatsoever! They have their own identity and honestly it would be disappointing to see it ignored.

> 2533274833600810;5:
> > 2535432359236232;4:
> > English speaking enemies have been in Halo since CE, and they never should have left. It was dumb of Bungie to make them speak gibberish in Reach just to make the game seem more dark and serious, and 343 was not much better after following suit with Halo 4. There is no canon excuse not to include them. I’ve seen people claim that Cortana was the only reason Chief could understand the Covenant, but that doesn’t explain how other characters could understand the Covenant in ODST and Halo Wars. In other words, it’s up to the sound director whether the covenant speak in a comprehensible language or not.
> >
> > I don’t want something like this shoved to a corner with some dumb skull that you have to toggle either. If anything, English-speaking Covenant should be default, and people who claim that it “ruins the immersion” or whatever can have a skull that turns the Covenant into gargling monsters.
>
>
> Ummmm Halo CE they didn’t speak English…remember how wort wort wort came to be?

The Grunts spoke English in Halo CE. The Elites didn’t start speaking English until Halo 2.

Don’t we have translators?

ODST had some great english-spoken Covenant moments, like the Brutes;
“Courage warriors! Take this hill or die upon it!”
“Oh no, he killed Dadab!”

> 2533274833600810;2:
> It would be nice to have a skull activate this, but I do like the fact that they speak their own language. It makes the enemies feel more alien again. I feel Reach did this very well.

Yes, an option to turn this on would be awesome.

Bump.

> 2533274898131165;7:
> Don’t we have translators?

Yes They do that is the “canonical” Excuse that the enemies can be understood that and Only the later part and after the Human covenant war did the covenant faction start “learning” English. IN reach the translation devices were not fully functioning for Noble team. But in halo 5 i would assume there will be a mix which would be welcome IMHO.

Elites were speaking english BEFORE Halo CE - back in the 99/2000 E3 trailers.

yep, that was cool and they should bring them back

> 2533274924514228;9:
> > 2533274833600810;2:
> > It would be nice to have a skull activate this, but I do like the fact that they speak their own language. It makes the enemies feel more alien again. I feel Reach did this very well.
>
>
> Yes, an option to turn this on would be awesome.

This give us a skull to allow talking aliens but also odst and marines all speaking again but with even more dialog. It was always entertaining a funny as heck.

I know Halo is an expansive universe filled with thousands of alien species, with their own various cultures and languages, but I personally find it hard to get ‘immersed’ into a fictional world, when my enemies hurl insults at me that I can’t understand, and recite the same lines of gibberish/loud grunts over and over that offer little verbal exchange between the enemy and the player. Your allies would carry full conversations with the Covenant mid-battle as well, and why not? Because they’re aliens? They had been at war with humanity just shy of 30 years…

In Halo 2, for example, (a game in which, a good 70% of the story is told by aliens, and illustrates the details of Covenant society in 1st-person with an alien secondary main character) they couldn’t truly drive the plot home with gibberish and subtitles… Keith David, Michael Wincott, Robert Davi, Miguel Ferrer, etc. They were all brought on to voice memorable alien characters with equally memorable lines, and they did.

It’s that sweet spot between simplicity and complexity; something I’ve always adored about Halo 2 - Halo 3 ODST’s writing.

They knew what the heck they were doing when they made them speak English, I feel.