Can we discuss the death of a Bishop? SPOILERS

(Contains spoilers about Tales From Slipspace)
So after killing off Black Team in a single page of a comic book, fans were disappointed, after killing off Jul within 5 minutes of Halo 5, I was particularly disappointed. In both cases, when they eliminated a character(s), with a long going story arc that should have continued on, and was obviously just an attempt to make the attacker seem “powerful”. Jul put up no fight, we didn’t even see Black Team die, and with Tales From Slipspace, we get a story arc that is a dozen pages long, with no backstory, and pretty awful artistic design, of a Spartan we’ve never seen before tasked with the assassination of 'Telcam. I personally feel like Telcam is an important character, and one with an unfinished story arc, sure we can assume ONI wanted to tie up loose ends, but… See, normally things like this wouldn’t bother me, but how many times does this have to happen before it stops? It cheapens the experience and puts a bad taste in everyones mouth when a character that’s been developed for years, and liked/loved is killed in seconds. Criticism aside, I enjoyed the new book a lot, I think it provided a lot of insight and background information. What do you guys think about Knight Takes Bishop, in Tales From Slipspace?

Telcams story always seemed tied into Jul’s to me. He was a stepping stone and a show of contrast between one type of remnant and the one Jul would go on to create.

While I think him replacong Sali nyon would have been great, they decided to create Sali instead, and killed off jul, so I’m not really upset by his death.

> 2533274964189700;2:
> Telcams story always seemed tied into Jul’s to me. He was a stepping stone and a show of contrast between one type of remnant and the one Jul would go on to create.
>
> While I think him replacong Sali nyon would have been great, they decided to create Sali instead, and killed off jul, so I’m not really upset by his death.

It can be said that he’s not exactly relevant anymore, but that’s not because people don’t care, it’s because they stopped writing stories for him. Now that we’re 2-3 years from the last Travisty novel, I guess they just decided to kill him. Also, Sali 'Nyon is still an incredibly stupid name, and if he makes it into a Halo game, he’ll be a walking meme.

> 2533274829733449;3:
> > 2533274964189700;2:
> > Telcams story always seemed tied into Jul’s to me. He was a stepping stone and a show of contrast between one type of remnant and the one Jul would go on to create.
> >
> > While I think him replacong Sali nyon would have been great, they decided to create Sali instead, and killed off jul, so I’m not really upset by his death.
>
> It can be said that he’s not exactly relevant anymore, but that’s not because people don’t care, it’s because they stopped writing stories for him. Now that we’re 2-3 years from the last Travisty novel, I guess they just decided to kill him. Also, Sali 'Nyon is still an incredibly stupid name, and if he makes it into a Halo game, he’ll be a walking meme.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought that name was dumb as -Yoink- , I don’t see a lot of people talk about it.

Pretty sure I just laughed to myself for 10 uninterrupted minutes when I was introduced to that character. Just wondering why they gotta do that

> 2533274916736578;4:
> > 2533274829733449;3:
> > > 2533274964189700;2:
> > > Telcams story always seemed tied into Jul’s to me. He was a stepping stone and a show of contrast between one type of remnant and the one Jul would go on to create.
> > >
> > > While I think him replacong Sali nyon would have been great, they decided to create Sali instead, and killed off jul, so I’m not really upset by his death.
> >
> > It can be said that he’s not exactly relevant anymore, but that’s not because people don’t care, it’s because they stopped writing stories for him. Now that we’re 2-3 years from the last Travisty novel, I guess they just decided to kill him. Also, Sali 'Nyon is still an incredibly stupid name, and if he makes it into a Halo game, he’ll be a walking meme.
>
> I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought that name was dumb as -Yoink- , I don’t see a lot of people talk about it.
>
> Pretty sure I just laughed to myself for 10 uninterrupted minutes when I was introduced to that character. Just wondering why they gotta do that

People have memed things for less. 343i, and Sali will be a laughing stalk if he goes mainstream.

As I’ve said in a couple similar threads before (master of repeating myself), what I just don’t get is why, if you as a character do not have any immediate use in the story for the next couple planned years of the fiction, apparently the new rule is YOU MUST DIE. Why can’t characters like this just be allowed to live out an undetermined fate, and IF we want to revisit them later, we can, and if not, we can fanfic/headcanon their fate for ourselves?

No, 'Telcam wasn’t really that relevant of a character anymore at this juncture of the story and I’m honestly not that heartbroken that he was offed, but I still just don’t understand why it was necessary.

I am surprised that Jul did not off telcam sooner

I find it odd that an established character was killed off only for a brand new, nameless character to be introduced. One could argue getting rid of 'Telcam was tightening a loose end in the story, but then a new one is added with the new S-III.

> 2533274829733449;1:
> (Contains spoilers about Tales From Slipspace)
> So after killing off Black Team in a single page of a comic book, fans were disappointed, after killing off Jul within 5 minutes of Halo 5, I was particularly disappointed. In both cases, when they eliminated a character(s), with a long going story arc that should have continued on, and was obviously just an attempt to make the attacker seem “powerful”. Jul put up no fight, we didn’t even see Black Team die, and with Tales From Slipspace, we get a story arc that is a dozen pages long, with no backstory, and pretty awful artistic design, of a Spartan we’ve never seen before tasked with the assassination of 'Telcam. I personally feel like Telcam is an important character, and one with an unfinished story arc, sure we can assume ONI wanted to tie up loose ends, but… See, normally things like this wouldn’t bother me, but how many times does this have to happen before it stops? It cheapens the experience and puts a bad taste in everyones mouth when a character that’s been developed for years, and liked/loved is killed in seconds. Criticism aside, I enjoyed the new book a lot, I think it provided a lot of insight and background information. What do you guys think about Knight Takes Bishop, in Tales From Slipspace?

Jul’s was the biggest offender, to me. Black Team just seemed like another Spartan team to me(who at this point, felt far passed their due dates) and 'Telcam hasn’t interested me that much.

Jul could’ve had an arc in Halo 5 that wouldn’t have changed the game that much, AND would’ve gotten him out of the way if that’s what the writers wanted. Haruspis wrote a pretty good re-write for what happens to Jul.

> 2533274812652989;8:
> I find it odd that an established character was killed off only for a brand new, nameless character to be introduced. One could argue getting rid of 'Telcam was tightening a loose end in the story, but then a new one is added with the new S-III.

That is why this urks me more than usual. The very first thing I said when I looked at this short story, was that the art style looked dumber than usual, continuing on, 343i seems to think this stuff is a joke, then Telcam’s last words are “wort”. 343i apparenty finds it funny to disrespect long time readers.

It was a weak story. There wasn’t much going on for it aside from the assassination of Telcam. However, following what Brennon said, I remain convinced that from Halo 4 up until Halo “6”, 343i is working to undo the Travissty Incident. Any terrible plotlines, any sudden character deaths - they’ve all been to quickly wrap up unnecessary plots that were begun solely in the Kilo 5 trilogy. Off the top of my head:

• Halsey is no longer a “war criminal” hated by every civilian throughout UNSC space - The Spartan II’s are no longer totally unclassified (this has more been ignored, rather than reversed directly) - The Arbiter no longer faces political danger, and the Sangheili Civil War is over - ONI is no longer a super-powerful Spymaster Organization screwing over everything in the Galaxy (they’re still as shady and covert as they’ve always been, but less-so than in Kilo 5)

> 2533274829733449;10:
> > 2533274812652989;8:
> > I find it odd that an established character was killed off only for a brand new, nameless character to be introduced. One could argue getting rid of 'Telcam was tightening a loose end in the story, but then a new one is added with the new S-III.
>
> That is why this urks me more than usual. The very first thing I said when I looked at this short story, was that the art style looked dumber than usual, continuing on, 343i seems to think this stuff is a joke, then Telcam’s last words are “wort”. 343i apparenty finds it funny to disrespect long time readers.

LOL! I haven’t read the story yet, but… “wort?” Go? He’s saying go? Who’s he telling to go? And to where? Hmmm… Potential ties to the new location of the Absolute Record? Seems plausible.

On a more serious note: Sigh.

> 2533274809073993;12:
> > 2533274829733449;10:
> > > 2533274812652989;8:
> > > I find it odd that an established character was killed off only for a brand new, nameless character to be introduced. One could argue getting rid of 'Telcam was tightening a loose end in the story, but then a new one is added with the new S-III.
> >
> > That is why this urks me more than usual. The very first thing I said when I looked at this short story, was that the art style looked dumber than usual, continuing on, 343i seems to think this stuff is a joke, then Telcam’s last words are “wort”. 343i apparenty finds it funny to disrespect long time readers.
>
> LOL! I haven’t read the story yet, but… “wort?” Go? He’s saying go? Who’s he telling to go? And to where? Hmmm… Potential ties to the new location of the Absolute Record? Seems plausible.
>
> On a more serious note: Sigh.

I’ve sighed too many times already