Can Spartan Ops replace the Campaign?

Yesterday I asked if 343 could add new enemies to Spartan Ops as we go from season to season since it’s basically a mini campaign supported by the rich palettes and tools associated with the normal campaign experience. Today I’m going to ask if you think Spartan Ops could be the next stage in how studios present a Campaign for future console titles?

Traditionally all Halo titles have been a massive undertaking on a movie production level to bring about the Halo campaign experience, which has been pretty linear on it’s presentation to date. Now with the demands for more content regarding the Multi-player experiences can studios like 343 switch over a Campaign to a episode driven affairs, while focusing more on DLC as a distribution to the public like Spartan Ops to tell a opus that heralds a protagonist like Master Chief.

Could this lead to the opening up of disk space for other ventures like firefight and say more Forge options, while Campaign is now treated like a seasonal experience where we all follow along instead of getting say eight missions on one disk and a three year wait till the next title?

Do you think you could play a campaign that way rather than rushing through it in six hours?

It could be.

But I don’t want it to replace campaign. I like how the campaign follows the Chief’s story, and Spartan Ops follows a different story in newer, more unique ways.

I think you are on to something here. That would be a very smart move, and also give the industry a refresh.

I like the way you think!

> It could be.
>
>
> But I don’t want it to replace campaign. I like how the campaign follows the Chief’s story, and Spartan Ops follows a different story in newer, more unique ways.

I believe many would agree with you. On the other hand I could see studios doing this to control content, leaks, and pirating.

> > It could be.
> >
> >
> > But I don’t want it to replace campaign. I like how the campaign follows the Chief’s story, and Spartan Ops follows a different story in newer, more unique ways.
>
> I believe many would agree with you. On the other hand I could see studios doing this to control content, leaks, and pirating.

Thats actually true.

It could be used to manage leaks, if it needed to be unlocked after time.

But what about offline users? Would the game be on a time-schedual, so it’ll unlock at certain intervals for everyone?

I’d say it would be a cool idea to try. As long as those problems, like offline users, are dealt with it would be great.

> > > It could be.
> > >
> > >
> > > But I don’t want it to replace campaign. I like how the campaign follows the Chief’s story, and Spartan Ops follows a different story in newer, more unique ways.
> >
> > I believe many would agree with you. On the other hand I could see studios doing this to control content, leaks, and pirating.
>
> Thats actually true.
>
> It could be used to manage leaks, if it needed to be unlocked after time.
>
>
>
> But what about offline users? Would the game be on a time-schedual, so it’ll unlock at certain intervals for everyone?
>
>
>
>
> I’d say it would be a cool idea to try. As long as those problems, like offline users, are dealt with it would be great.

With the rising cost of creating such games I think we all might get that answer on how silver players are going to probably get to play Spartan Ops by having to wait for it to be released to disk a year after the fact. There’s been this push to maximize and capture every dollar while hamstringing the used games market. Plus I suspect Microsoft will be trying to force everyone to XBL come the release of the next gen console. We would have to see.

> > > It could be.
> > >
> > >
> > > But I don’t want it to replace campaign. I like how the campaign follows the Chief’s story, and Spartan Ops follows a different story in newer, more unique ways.
> >
> > I believe many would agree with you. On the other hand I could see studios doing this to control content, leaks, and pirating.
>
> Thats actually true.
>
> It could be used to manage leaks, if it needed to be unlocked after time.
>
>
>
> But what about offline users? Would the game be on a time-schedual, so it’ll unlock at certain intervals for everyone?
>
>
>
>
> I’d say it would be a cool idea to try. As long as those problems, like offline users, are dealt with it would be great.

There are downsides and upsides of standard campaign like that of past Halo games and Halo 4’s main campaign, but there’s also downsides and upsides to DLC campaigns. Personally I feel ODST’s campaign should of been a DLC campaign.
DLC campaigns should be short, 2 or 3 hours at the most, where as none DLC campaigns should be long, around 7+ hours long.

this is what i want to happen;
in Halo 6, chief dies or something, passing Cortana or something signifigant to your spartan 4, and he is the main charicter in the next set of games =)

Personally I like the Idea of the movie campaign (master chiefs campaign) then the weekly TV episodes approach (spartan ops). It allows you to have a epic story all at once which goes in depth. Then once you finish it you can slow down and take time to appreciate more of the canon around halo in weekly doses. Gives the life of the game a boost.

So I think that they should from now on always co-exist but I just hope future installments give spartan ops more content I know this sounds greedy but 10 weeks isn’t enough to satisfy me. I WANT MORE.

Also side bonus is that if I’m ever unfortunate enough to see leaks I know that the story behind spartan ops would never be revealed.

> Personally I like the Idea of the movie campaign (master chiefs campaign) then the weekly TV episodes approach (spartan ops). It allows you to have a epic story all at once which goes in depth. Then once you finish it you can slow down and take time to appreciate more of the canon around halo in weekly doses. Gives the life of the game a boost.
>
> So I think that they should from now on always co-exist but I just hope future installments give spartan ops more content I know this sounds greedy but 10 weeks isn’t enough to satisfy me. I WANT MORE.
>
> Also side bonus is that if I’m ever unfortunate enough to see leaks I know that the story behind spartan ops would never be revealed.

I right there with you on wanting more. The idea behind Spartan Ops is a good one. I hope it gains momentum and we see this kind of Studio involvement in more titles from other studios.

It’s a nice idea OP, and its definitely something for 343 to consider, however, the backlash about this is designating who gets to play campaign’s now. Fact is, spartan Op’s requires a gold account to play and I’ll bet hard money non-gold users will be livid if 343 required that for campaigns in the future.

I can’t say this isn’t possible for all users, but the wording, descriptions, and service packages would need to be clarified MANY months before the game is even considered somewhat gold if 343 wouldn’t want backlash about it. You can run all the simulation scenario’s you want, but if this choice negativity impacts players, it could hurt the franchise considerably.

> It’s a nice idea OP, and its definitely something for 343 to consider, however, the backlash about this is designating who gets to play campaign’s now. Fact is, spartan Op’s requires a gold account to play and I’ll bet hard money non-gold users will be livid if 343 required that for campaigns in the future.
>
> I can’t say this isn’t possible for all users, but the wording, descriptions, and service packages would need to be clarified MANY months before the game is even considered somewhat gold if 343 wouldn’t want backlash about it. You can run all the simulation scenario’s you want, but if this choice negativity impacts players, it could hurt the franchise considerably.

Oh, there would be a risk to Microsoft, you’re very right on that assessment. I think they are testing Spartan Ops on Halo 4 while balancing it out with a traditional campaign to soften the move for XBL users and the general market, to see if it will force silver players to upgrade to gold. As much as everyone would grouse and rage, but the bottom line for any studio is the cost and risk they take in order to produce such a high end game as Halo every venture. Microsoft I believe would focus on the next gen impact on consumers and what they are willing to pay or not pay in order to partake in online services and how that effects their growth over the next decade.

Spartan Ops might be an cheaper easier way to reach consumers with a controlled release of game content bypassing the retailer after the onset of launch, so studios can keep capturing profits while avoiding the overhead inherit in the supply chain to those consumer.

I think Spartan Ops is a very important testing phase for Microsoft and 343 in pushing everyone into accepting gold when it comes to the 720 if Microsoft goes for a more brutal price tier hierarchy when it comes to new games.

We’ll just have to see if the free to play format can gain traction on consoles as well.

I want to fight the innies in spartan ops.

> Oh, there would be risk to Microsoft and 343 you’re very right on that assessment, that’s why I think they are testing Spartan Ops on Halo 4 while balancing it out with a traditional campaign to test the waters with XBL users and the general market, and if it will force silver players to fork over the extra money and upgrade to gold. As much as everyone would grouse and rage the bottom line is the cost and risk studios take to produce such a game and to focus on the next gen impact on consumers and what they are willing to pay or not pay in order to partake in online services.

In a nutshell, that’s just one aspect of what would need to happen. It’s seriously a nice idea, and maybe Spartan Op’s can be tweaked on the higher level to be downloaded from a silver account later for this kind of possibility, but given the circumstances of what we know right now, I wouldn’t make the transition. More then any other element in video game history is the notion of the game having a campaign when you buy the game. I’m sure 343 would understand this point naturally though…

> Spartan Ops might be a cheaper and far more easier and a controlled release of game content bypassing the retailer after the onset of launch so studios can keep capturing profits while avoiding the overhead with the supply chain to the consumer. I think Spartan Ops is a very important testing phase for Microsoft and 343 in pushing everyone into accepting gold when it comes to the 720.

That’ll never happen. If there is one thing I’ve known about video games and general life: things don’t change. Only the names and faces. There will always be users who remain silver accounts for the simple reason they don’t want to go Gold. That is not going to change because of a system upgrade.

As for Spartan Op’s being a testing ground, I agree.

> We’ll just have to see if the free to play format can gain traction on consoles as well.

Change is always about waiting a seeing. I personally will cast the vote this will not change how campaigns are viewed or treated in the future.

Tbh, I believe that Halo 4 is NOT the only game to do this.

Games such as “Walking Dead” for instance.

I’d rather have SpartanOps be the replacement for Firefight, as designed. I’d be pretty upset if I had to download my complete campaign experience in seasonal chapters.

The campaign is the Chief, Spartan OPS is about teams of Spartans… You can’t replace either with the other.

Spops replace Campaign?

Spartans IV replacing Spartan II?

no.

No. I want the campaign big and well crafted. Spartan ops like bits. Different, both.

> The campaign is the Chief, Spartan OPS is about teams of Spartans… You can’t replace either with the other.

And what if that changed? What if 343 made it so it would be about Master Chief while in “campaign” mode?

> Spops replace Campaign?
>
> Spartans IV replacing Spartan II?
>
> no.

This isn’t about replacing details. This is about taking the concept for Halo 4 Spartan Op’s and modifying it for a campaign style at release.