Can Someone Help Answer My Questions?

I know that this topic has been discussed plenty on the forums before. I am of course referring to the canon discrepancies between the novels and Halo: Reach. I was sifting through some of the older threads on this for answers, but I was finding it hard to get them. I’m not really to in tune with all the canonical references/ details as I’ve only read Evolutions, The Fall of Reach, The Flood, and the first 90 pages of First Strike.

So if anyone could answer my questions I’d greatly appreciate it. I’m not saying that Halo: Reach breaks canon, I’m just trying to find out.

1) Most obviously, the Pillar of Autumn being on Reach. Is there anything that reconciles this with TFOR novel?

2) As Noble 6 you retrieve Cortana from Halsey. Wasn’t she on the Pillar of Autumn?

3) The lack of MAC orbital guns in the Halo: Reach level Long Night of Solace. Doesn’t the first mission in Reach have something to do with this? Is the complex you go to the generator station that powers the MACs? Forgive me if I’ve forgotten the details of that mission.

4) Relating to no. 3, if that complex is the generator station, where is the Red Team that Master Chief sent groundside? The start of First Strike is an account of Red Team arriving at the generator station,

My apologies if any of my knowledge of canon is incorrect or misinformed. I’m pretty sure that there are smaller problems that people have found, but these are just the ones that have been naggling at me as I’ve read through the novels. Hopefully it goes without saying that I don’t expect the canon to be 100% perfect and linked.

Thanks to anyone who can help clarify.

the autumn on REACH could fit with the book since their is a time gap where that would happen, cortana being split in half is the explenation they used in halseys journal.

MAC guns their isnt anything to reconcile that, if they had powerfull MACH guns in orbit, and i mean as powerfull as they were stated to be in the book, we wouldnt have had to attack long night of solace since the guns would have been able to take it out.

> the autumn on REACH could fit with the book since their is a time gap where that would happen, cortana being split in half is the explenation they used in halseys journal.
>
> MAC guns their isnt anything to reconcile that, if they had powerfull MACH guns in orbit, and i mean as powerfull as they were stated to be in the book, we wouldnt have had to attack long night of solace since the guns would have been able to take it out.

That’s not true. It takes several MAC rounds to just take out the shields of a Covenant vessel, and a few more to punch through a hull in vital places. This is as illustrated in several Halo novels, with the Supercarrier being the toughest in this regard. Frankly, the MAC platforms aren’t nearly as maneuverable as a ship. They were meant to be defensive; supplemental to a fleet. Without said fleet, they could potentially be outmaneuvered and taken out one-by-one by the Long Night of Solace. This is best illustrated, ironically, in The Fall of Reach, when the Covenant fleet seemingly bugs out, going just beyond the range of UNSC weaponry. The reason the UNSC didn’t pursue was because they knew they stood no chance without the support of the MAC defense grid. It would be a loss of ships.

But sure, you say, twenty MAC rounds into one Covenant vessel would probably be enough to take it out with little risk of screwing that up. But then you must also take into account that not all of the MAC platforms are probably in position for that, and to displace them would be to break their defensive grid, making Reach even more vulnerable to the Covenant invasion the UNSC was sure was coming. And to fire the few that were probably in range probably wouldn’t quite be enough. Reach is a big planet, the range on the MAC guns isn’t infinite, and frankly, the defensive grid is stretched relatively thin. Best case scenario, the Long Night of Solace bugs out after a few shots, wounded, and gets more reinforcements. Worst case scenario, the Long Night of Solace takes out a few MAC platforms on its way out, costing the UNSC a few more defenses for nothing.

So the fact that the UNSC doesn’t use the MAC defense grid to take out the Long Night of Solace can be reconciled quite well. That doesn’t break anything in-universe.

> 1) Most obviously, the Pillar of Autumn being on Reach. Is there anything that reconciles this with TFOR novel?
>
> 2) As Noble 6 you retrieve Cortana from Halsey. Wasn’t she on the Pillar of Autumn?
>
> 3) The lack of MAC orbital guns in the Halo: Reach level Long Night of Solace. Doesn’t the first mission in Reach have something to do with this? Is the complex you go to the generator station that powers the MACs? Forgive me if I’ve forgotten the details of that mission.
>
> 4) Relating to no. 3, if that complex is the generator station, where is the Red Team that Master Chief sent groundside? The start of First Strike is an account of Red Team arriving at the generator station

I just wanted to directly answer and elaborate on these separately from my last reply, OP. Here you go:

1. This is a narrow gap, really. There’s a small time gap, around thirty minutes, where the Autumn was unaccounted for in the novel, if I remember correctly. This could probably be shoehorned - albeit just barely - to reconcile with the game. It’s an uncomfortable explanation (just short of a real retcon, if not blurring the lines there), but it works.

2. Cortana was split into two pieces. This process will be further explained for you in First Strike, but not this specific instance. The timeline for when Cortana was split is not really known, but Halsey took some of her subroutines to examine the “latchkey discovery” that Noble Six found in the Visegrad Relay in conjunction with the Forerunner artifact you see in The Package. In other words, the artifact contained data, and the “latchkey discovery” allowed Cortana to process that data, which led to the discovery of the coordinates of Alpha Halo, launching the events of the rest of the Human-Covenant War into motion.

3. Nope. The first mission in Reach was to investigate sabotage to the Visegrad Relay outpost. This relay was essentially what kept Reach in contact with the rest of the UNSC. It did not power any of the MAC platforms. Essentially, the sabotage of the Visegrad relay would be the equivalent of me coming to your house and cutting your phone lines. You wouldn’t be able to call anybody for help. That was the aim there.

4. There are actually seven generators, all of which are under siege by the Covenant. These have nothing to do with the Visegrad relay Noble Team investigates at the outset of Reach, as that relay is long gone by the time the Covenant are assaulting the orbital defense generators.

> 1) Most obviously, the Pillar of Autumn being on Reach. Is there anything that reconciles this with TFOR novel?
>
> 2) As Noble 6 you retrieve Cortana from Halsey. Wasn’t she on the Pillar of Autumn?
>
> 3) The lack of MAC orbital guns in the Halo: Reach level Long Night of Solace. Doesn’t the first mission in Reach have something to do with this? Is the complex you go to the generator station that powers the MACs? Forgive me if I’ve forgotten the details of that mission.
>
> 4) Relating to no. 3, if that complex is the generator station, where is the Red Team that Master Chief sent groundside? The start of First Strike is an account of Red Team arriving at the generator station,
>
> My apologies if any of my knowledge of canon is incorrect or misinformed. I’m pretty sure that there are smaller problems that people have found, but these are just the ones that have been naggling at me as I’ve read through the novels. Hopefully it goes without saying that I don’t expect the canon to be 100% perfect and linked.
>
> Thanks to anyone who can help clarify.

1. It’s simple actually: the level “Pillar of Autumn” in Halo Reach takes place at about 16:52 hours, and in Fall of Reach, it’s stated that the PoA left Reach around 6:47 hours. Basically, the POA leaving Reach at 6:47 hours is over written. The easiest way to think about it is that the Autumn landed on Reach after it picked up John and Linda, and docked to await Noble Team’s arrival.

2. Read Halsey’s Journal (they have a summary of the information on Halopedia). It states that Halsey found a way for an AI to “clone” itself, allowing an AI to be in two places at once. The “clone” could later re-integrate with the original. So, the original Cortana was on the POA, while a fragment was on Reach to study the Forerunner ruins under Sword Base. Once it recombined with the original, Cortana was able to interpret the information captured during the battle of Sigma Octanus IV, and lead the PoA to Halo.

3. The First mission involves a communications station, not the oribital defense generators. The reason you don’t see them during “Long Night of Solace” is because Bungie probably didn’t have to budget to put them in (game engine wise), or ran out of time. While the platforms are never seen, they are seen in action during the end of the level Sword Base. One is used to take out the Corvette once it was moved far enough away from the base.

4. Red team didn’t arrive on Reach until August 31. Their mission was on another part of the planet, which is why you never see them. Go look up “Reach radio Conversations” on Halopedia. Bungie actually acknowledged Red Team on Reach, and told the story of Red Beta team as they defended the Orbital Defense Generators (through the radios).

Hope this helps.

On a side note, since I’ve seen a few posts about this: The reason Noble six was able to take out the carrier at the end of the level “Pillar of Autumn” is simple: in order to fire their weapons, a covenant ship must temporarily bring down a section of its shield. At that moment, Noble six fires on the carrier, damaging a vital section, and allowing the PoA to escape.

Thank you very much for the clarifications dude527 and ToaFreak, that really helped! I’ve just finished First Strike, so I understand the thing about Cortana making copies of herself. I feel like I can rest much more easily after getting these answers, haha.

It also makes sense about the way you explained Noble 6 destroying the supercarrier ToaFreak. This type of tactic is used several times in the novels from my memory.

I have another question that’s been nagging at me since I started reading Ghosts of Onyx. I’m only about 90 pages in, so I guess try to keep any answers spoiler free if possible.

5) Does Dr. Halsey realise that Noble Team (Jorge excluded) are not her Spartans? Does she have an idea of what Ackerson was doing at this point? I think I’ve heard that Halsey’s journal clears this up. And also, why do they have Mark V armour when the armour of the S-IIIs was SPI?

If you can’t answer that without spoilers, that’s fine.

> Thank you very much for the clarifications dude527 and ToaFreak, that really helped! I’ve just finished First Strike, so I understand the thing about Cortana making copies of herself. I feel like I can rest much more easily after getting these answers, haha.
>
> It also makes sense about the way you explained Noble 6 destroying the supercarrier ToaFreak. This type of tactic is used several times in the novels from my memory.
>
> I have another question that’s been nagging at me since I started reading Ghosts of Onyx. I’m only about 90 pages in, so I guess try to keep any answers spoiler free if possible.
>
> 5) Does Dr. Halsey realise that Noble Team (Jorge excluded) are not her Spartans? Does she have an idea of what Ackerson was doing at this point? I think I’ve heard that Halsey’s journal clears this up. And also, why do they have Mark V armour when the armour of the S-IIIs was SPI?
>
> If you can’t answer that without spoilers, that’s fine.

that would be another thing with canon getting broken with the spartan 3 program.

in the book it says they have SPI armor but the game says differnt with noble team, and the dead spartan IIIS on the last level haveing mjolnir armor, also according to the motion comic “headhunters” the headhunters team used MJOLNIR armor as well.

as for halsey i know their is something in the journal about her not haveing time to look into it more, but she assumes noble team is spartans based on the cutscene in REACH at swordbase

i was unaware that the spartans in reach were spartan-IIIs. i just assumed they were spartan IIs because the MJOLNIR armor and never thought to look into it…well you guys just dropped a ball on me with that one