can someone give advice on difficulty

I am stuck between playing halo 4 first time on heroic or legendary, i was gonna play it on heroic because i was thinking legendary may be to hard and might ruin the first time experience. But also I want to play it on legendary because i want to see the legendary ending (if there is one) the first time i play it. Does anyone think that legendary’s level of difficulty would ruin the first time experience of the campaign because it’s too hard?

you shouldn’t torture yourself playing though legendary just to see a special cutscene, especially if you’re not ready

practice in heroic before you play through legendary

Halo is meant to be played on Heroic. Legendary is for a little more challenge.

That’s my opinion anyway, but that’s also how the difficulties are usually described.

Heroic will offer a nice challenge, and flow through the campaign, legendary while gives you a challenge will make you frustrated as hell. I’d say Heroic then Legendary solo.

According to the devs, Normal is the new Heroic, meaning that, at the very least, Heroic should be more challenging than it was in previous Halo games. I think Frank actually made a point of recommending that people who usually play Heroic start with Normal this time around

So I’d say Heroic, if not Normal

> you shouldn’t torture yourself playing though legendary just to see a special cutscene, especially if you’re not ready
>
> practice in heroic before you play through legendary

Yeah i think i’ll go for heroic first then move onto legendary for the unlockables and to give myself a challenge. I’m definitely going to complete it on legendary this it will be my first time finishing a halo game on that difficulty.

> > you shouldn’t torture yourself playing though legendary just to see a special cutscene, especially if you’re not ready
> >
> > practice in heroic before you play through legendary
>
> Yeah i think i’ll go for heroic first then move onto legendary for the unlockables and to give myself a challenge. I’m definitely going to complete it on legendary this it will be <mark>my first time finishing a halo game on that difficulty</mark>.

really?
Good luck to you then, Spartan!

Heroic is where the campaign is meant to be experienced.
Legendary is where you go to dine in Hell.
Mythic… Well Mythic makes want to take some R&R in Hell just to relax between levels.
Noble Difficulty is my own variant between Legendary and Mythic. Pretty much take off Famine, Blackeye and Fog to give the Spartan back their “powers”, but everything goes :slight_smile: It’s also preferable you extinguish everything you see as well, you don’t need run with Blackeye off.

Don’t go Normal or Easy, that’s for someone who thinks jerking the controller up will help with the action of jumping. If that’s you, I meant no offence and I recommend that you go Normal or Easy :slight_smile:

I would go with Legendary. AI are based on rules and once you understand the rules it is very easy to beat.

You don’t have to play the entire campaign on Legendary to see the legendary ending. At least that’s the way it was in ODST, Halo 3, and CE.

OT:

Easy for realistic damage and health (sans Chief), exploring, glitching, tricking, strategies (learning AI spawns), and to feel like a god (like in CE).

Normal for realistic AI (after all, Normal is the new Heroic).

Heroic for adjusting to AI that weren’t there on lower difficulties (i.e. 2 Jackal snipers at the dam on Sierra 117), weapon spawn changes (i.e. on The Covenant, there is no Spartan Laser near the crashed Pelican), scripting changes, etc. Basically, Heroic is just preparation for Legendary… though the gap between the two is quite big (largely due to the increased enemy damage).

Legendary for a reasonably difficult canon experience. From what I’ve seen (Spartan Ops SDCC Legendary gameplay), the AI aren’t damage sponges (at least in health). Unfortunately, the Needler seems to be the new utility weapon for campaign (according to the Covenant weaponry Bulletin comments from developers).

Mythic if you find Legendary strategies lacking.

> > According to the devs, Normal is the new Heroic, meaning that, at the very least, Heroic should be more challenging than it was in previous Halo games. I think Frank actually made a point of recommending that people who usually play Heroic start with Normal this time around
> >
> > So I’d say Heroic, if not Normal
>
> I’d take this with a grain of salt. I know this is 343i and not Bungie, but Bungie claimed Reach was the hardest campaign ever. Pfft. Reach’s campaign was a joke, even on Legendary. Never listen to the developer. It’s almost like when a Dev quotes a game’s playtime. The time quoted is usually double or more than the actual time it will take you to do everything.

You have a point. Both dev sessions featuring the mission Forerunner showed a lack of competence and someone well acquainted with Halo AI could bulldoze through it.

On the other hand, Halo 2 is acclaimed to be the hardest campaign but suffers most of Reach’s problems, which is just cheapening up the difficulty instead of making the AI better.

I trust Halo 4 to have a far better/challenging experience than Reach. The community isn’t always right.

> According to the devs, Normal is the new Heroic, meaning that, at the very least, Heroic should be more challenging than it was in previous Halo games. I think Frank actually made a point of recommending that people who usually play Heroic start with Normal this time around
>
> So I’d say Heroic, if not Normal

I’d take this with a grain of salt. I know this is 343i and not Bungie, but Bungie claimed Reach was the hardest campaign ever. Pfft. Reach’s campaign was a joke, even on Legendary. Never listen to the developer. It’s almost like when a Dev quotes a game’s playtime. The time quoted is usually double or more than the actual time it will take you to do everything.

I would recommend Heroic.

play on heroic for the first time, it gives a challenging (but not overly) gameplay experience, and its the way halo should be played. if you want to see the legendary ending, than when you beat campaign, just playe the last mission on legendary or watch it on youtube lol

> I am stuck between playing halo 4 first time on heroic or legendary, i was gonna play it on heroic because i was thinking legendary may be to hard and might ruin the first time experience. But also I want to play it on legendary because i want to see the legendary ending (if there is one) the first time i play it. Does anyone think that legendary’s level of difficulty would ruin the first time experience of the campaign because it’s too hard?

As someone who has enjoyed Legendary first runs, I can tell you Reach put up quite the struggle where previous environments of Halo 2 and 3 left me unsatisfied majority of the time. If this is your first time trying a legendary playthrough, I do recommend loading up each Halo game before you do and beating the hardest mission of each one for you without skulls, because the tactics you’ll learn from exercising those missions (btw, only the absolute hardest, no need to any other) will make it very possible for you to get through the campaign of just about any game on legendary or hard difficulty. I also recommend utilizing Halo wars on legendary difficulty because there is a particular skill you only pick up by recognizing key situations and Halo Wars does a remarkable job about that…

I’ve done this for seven years to the year and I can tell you that even a mission of mythic difficulty will greatly ease any transition you have with a new game, but I don’t recommend doing that till you’ve gotten some experience under your belt, mythic difficult is not known as the hardest difficulty any halo game can offer for a reason.

> > According to the devs, Normal is the new Heroic, meaning that, at the very least, Heroic should be more challenging than it was in previous Halo games. I think Frank actually made a point of recommending that people who usually play Heroic start with Normal this time around
> >
> > So I’d say Heroic, if not Normal
>
> I’d take this with a grain of salt. I know this is 343i and not Bungie, but Bungie claimed Reach was the hardest campaign ever. Pfft. Reach’s campaign was a joke, even on Legendary. Never listen to the developer. It’s almost like when a Dev quotes a game’s playtime. The time quoted is usually double or more than the actual time it will take you to do everything.

I played Halo 3 legendary solo and Halo reach legendary solo. Reach was harder. Say what you will, but elites are a lot harder to kill than brutes. I thought reach was easier with coop, but solo it was way more difficult.

The difficulty is between Halo 3 and Halo Reach, tilting towards Reach at times. Facing the Covenant is pretty tough, but nothing really frustrating. In certain situations, especially when you have low ammo, fighting Knights is just impossible. If you have a LR with full ammo, fighting one Knight and watcher is easy, but fighting multiple Knights with just a Suppressor and Boltshot will make you want to throw your controller at a wall. You have to take things very slowly.

First run throughs of Halo games should always be Solo Heroic.

If you REALLY want to see the full Legendary ending(If there is one) just hop on to Youtube after you beat the game.

If your first time is solo do it on Heroic, if your doing co-op do it on legendary.

Start at Normal.

Have none of you ever seen High Speed Halo 3? bs Angel used to post that on waypoint I think, H3 on legendary is by far the hardest campaign from H2 to Reach, H3 wins.

Im guessing this will be on par or even harder than H3 because remember it may hurt me and maybe you to say this but 343 are more dedicated in producing a good Halo game than Bunige were sobs a little, i’m sorry bungie…

And from watching HSH3 I can safely guesse that the 8-10hour slot indicated in completing it can be nudged down to a good 3-6 hours alone on legendary, 1-2 if your one of the HSH3 freaks rofl…