Can Halo 4 be MATURE. Please.

Halo is rated M, right? Well why do I have a DAT FEEL that I’m playing a T rated game.

Little to no cursing, Little to no blood or gore, Little to no adult or mature actions or such, story wise or gameplay wise.

Halo:CE was mature in terms of story, and characters. SO it’s good

Halo:2 was the same in ways.

Halo:3 got just a little too corny and

Halo:ODST is just terrible in this department, may as well been called “Rated C for Children”

Halo:Reach was the second if not closest Halo game to deserving the “M” rating

Either way most of the games don’t deserve an M rating. I mean what exactly is so mature and dangerous to the youths of the world. Kids still play video games, still play Halo so your not limiting the amount of chilren. There’s no blood, gore, cursing, mature diaglouge. The entire force of the Flood and Covenant in the games make them look like puppy dolls.

The real Covenant is a nasty, powerful BEAST. Plasma weapons would make you cry in fear, they literally burn large gaping holes in victims. The Needler can kill within a single shot and so on. The Flood themselves, in reality are nasty, they would be your worst nightmare.

Can we please show some of this. Please make the enemies in Halo 4(5/6) seem as powerful as they are. In Halo1,2,3 ETC have you ever felt like the Covenant or FLood were anything that dangerous or bad? Even Reach didn’t make them seel as powerful as they were.

GIVE ENEMIES MORE BALLS

And on top of that nobody is going to hate Halo for using some cuss words. Remember in ODST when Mickey said something like “Oh jeez” (face palm). YOU ARE SOLDIERS IN A WAR AGAINST AN ENEMY WHO HAS KILLED MILLIONS YET YOU CAN’T SAY A FEW CURSE WORDS. I’M SURE IF I LIVED IN HALO TIMES I’D HAVE A MOUTH ON ME WHEN AN 8 FOOT FRIGGEN TALL ELITE IS CHASING ME WITH AN ENERGY SWORD.

So what I say is

>A few more cursing when it’s needed. We don’t need it too much but don’t use children filters

>Some more gore. At least enough to show how deadly some weapons are

>No cheesyness. Except when needed, but limited.

>Make it not a childrens game.

I agree with the language, I’d be hollering tons of explicitives to the aliens waging genocide on my species.

I agree with the gore, I don’t want limbs flying all over for no reason, and Spartans really shouldn’t bleed that much, not by bullets, because their suit is damn heavily armored, but for example…if I light a jackal on fire, I want to see it slowly turn to ash. If I stick something with a plasma grenade? Part of it’s body should just be missing after exploding. A fully charged plasma pistol shot just leave a bit hole in a marine’s chest.

Can’t sacrifice too much cheesiness though…

“This cave is not a natural formation!”

I completely agree this would make halo so good and more respectable.
It would defiantly make the experience much better i would really love for halo to be like this.

Eh, I don’t know, I really don’t think the Halo games need gore like that. And I would prefer the lack of swearing that we have now.

Instead of being mature in the sense that it is disgusting and offensive like that, why not make it a bit more mature in that it explores darker themes, more developed character relations, and a story that has a bit more weight than the previous titles? Sounds like a much better direction to me than just “gore and swearing”.

I do agree that the Flood should be scarier, though, and hope that they do that in Halo 4.

;:

Yeah, more mature themes, plots and all that should definitely be in Halo 4. Like for example, the level Cortana in Halo 3. It wasn’t overly gory, there was no bad language, but just the atmosphere and theme around there really gave a dark vibe. I mean, you’re going into the Flood HIVE, forget the rest of the mission. The Flood is a damn scary thing to think about and going into it’s heart is crazy.

Hopefully,the Reclaimer trilogy will explore these themes of darker nature. The Humans have been saved,thanks to the MC’s actions on the Ark. But now because the Chief doesn’t need to worry about Humanity,I’d say its safe to probably see him experience panic and fear. The Timeless One will probably have a major part in it,and as it’s stated,the whole Universe is threatened,not just the Galaxy.

It would be a HUGE disappointment if there wasn’t more mature subjects in Halo 4. Halo 2 and 3 weren’t that dark as Halo:CE was. We had the threat of the Flood from both of the sequels,but nothing put any fear in you from them.

Hopefully this new enemy that (hopefully) appears in H4 will give us the chance to have a more mature,darker setting.

> Yeah, more mature themes, plots and all that should definitely be in Halo 4. Like for example, the level Cortana in Halo 3. It wasn’t overly gory, there was no bad language, but just the atmosphere and theme around there really gave a dark vibe. I mean, you’re going into the Flood HIVE, forget the rest of the mission. The Flood is a damn scary thing to think about and going into it’s heart is crazy.

Agreed, I loved that part in Halo 3. The build up, the portrayal of the Flood, finally meeting up with Cortana, all combined to make for a fun, darker level with great storytelling and excellent atmosphere.

Another example of great atmosphere would be ODST. The music, the setting, the situation the characters are involved in (particularly the Rookie’s situation), the story. Even something as simple as the lifeless streets and car alarms in the distance and the ringing phones gave it that really heavy, desolate feel. ODST was, without a doubt, my favorite Halo game.

> Hopefully,the Reclaimer trilogy will explore these themes of darker nature. The Humans have been saved,thanks to the MC’s actions on the Ark. But now because the Chief doesn’t need to worry about Humanity,I’d say its safe to probably see him experience panic and fear. The Timeless One will probably have a major part in it,and as it’s stated,the whole Universe is threatened,not just the Galaxy.
>
> It would be a HUGE disappointment if there wasn’t more mature subjects in Halo 4. Halo 2 and 3 weren’t that dark as Halo:CE was. We had the threat of the Flood from both of the sequels,but nothing put any fear in you from them.
>
> Hopefully this new enemy that (hopefully) appears in H4 will give us the chance to have a more mature,darker setting.

This.

If you think it needs more blood, gore, violence, and -Yoink!- to be more “mature”, then I’d venture out to say you don’t understand Halo.

A game isn’t catered to a rating, a game is made, then a separate company, ESRB, rates the game. You don’t make a game to get a certain rating.

> If you think it needs more blood, gore, violence, and -Yoink!- to be more “mature”, then I’d venture out to say you don’t understand Halo.
>
> A game isn’t catered to a rating, a game is made, then a separate company, ESRB, rates the game. You don’t make a game to get a certain rating.

Yep, this :slight_smile:
Darker themes, definitely. But please keep the swearing and gore out, or at least at a minimum. I like being able to play Halo in a family environment while still getting that great storytelling and fun gameplay.

> If you think it needs more blood, gore, violence, and -Yoink!- to be more “mature”, then I’d venture out to say you don’t understand Halo.
>
> A game isn’t catered to a rating, a game is made, then a separate company, ESRB, rates the game. You don’t make a game to get a certain rating.

This. I wouldn’t mind Halo having more gore, blood and violence, but only if it’s necessary. Don’t add add gore for the sake of adding gore. Don’t have the marines swearing like Gears just to make the game seem more mature.

Halo should just be halo, the ratings be -Yoink!-.

EDIT: I usually don’t attack people, but OP, your post shows how immature you are. A story can be dark and mature with minimal amounts of blood, gore, or violence.

If any product needs to put in any of these things to be mature, it’s no more mature than a 10-year-old who thinks using swear words makes him sound grown-up.

That’d be so un-Halo. I mean, Halo has never been a dark and gritty game and it should never be. Halo is a game where the atomsphere comes from music and enviroment. It doesn’t come from flying guts and soldiers throwing swear words every ten seconds. I mean, if I was looking at the beautiful skybox of a campaign level when suddenly a marine shouted “-Yoink- you, you son of a -Yoink-!”, that would totally break the atmosphere of the situation.

Halo is a beautiful game full of tranquility. It’s not meant to be anything like majority of other shooters are these days.

Does Halo Reach even have blood? That is something I want to see more of. Halo has now been known as a “Children’s game” and that can be changed if the game were actually rated “M”.

I remember playing Halo CE and beating a dead elite senseless after killing it and watching as the blood pooled all around it in a spectacular fashion, until frame rate became an issue and I had to stop.

> That’d be so un-Halo. I mean, Halo has never been a dark and gritty game and it should never be. Halo is a game where the atomsphere comes from music and enviroment. It doesn’t come from flying guts and soldiers throwing swear words every ten seconds. I mean, if I was looking at the beautiful skybox of a campaign level when suddenly a marine shouted “Yoink! you, you son of a -Yoink!-!”, that would totally break the atmosphere of the situation.
>
> Halo is a beautiful game full of tranquility. It’s not meant to be anything like majority of other shooters are these days.

Which is why it has the opportunity to become so brilliant if it was given a moodier,darker theme. We’ve got the threat of the Universe hanging by the scale,and you think it will all be unicorns and rainbows? I mean, preferably I would rather there be a little more of swearing,but not to overdo it. Halo does have beautiful music and amazing landscapes. And we can still have that atmosphere from the music and environment,but it would be for nothing if there was a lack of seriousness to it. We’ve saved the Humans and defeated the Covenant and the Flood (for now) which would be what we would expect.

Now you have something of universal scale,something perhaps incredibly insane and unwilling to stop,even worse than both the Flood and the Covenant. Heavy losses would be expected,and even hopeless situations,such as the annihilation of Galaxies from existence,the injury and serious maiming and/or killing of those close to the MC, make him more emotionally aware,give him something to fear,now that he doesn’t need to be brave for just Humanity any more. A larger,heavier burden on him,perhaps seeing rage and crying. That would make my day for the Reclaimer Trilogy.

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Off Topic: I was watching a video about HCEA and they’ve taking almost all of the gore out of the gameplay, Im dissapointed.

As some people here seem to think that ‘mature’ means ‘full of gore and swearing’, I’m linking a video. No, it has nothing to do with Halo, but I can’t think of a better way of showing how those gimmicks you’re talking about are in no way needed to make something dark and serious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtRbqIs8oQo

Apologies in advance for any tears caused.

I remember a ViDoc where some of the original programmers talked about asking themselves:

“‘Is THIS the next big thing in shooters? With all the pink and purple?’
Well, yes, turns out it was.”

I mean, Halo wasn’t the most Mature game ever, it just glossed over a bunch of cool stuff and wrapped it up all in one awesome package… with pink and purple plasma flames coming out all he seams. Come on - admit it - The Halo series isn’t supposed to be like “Deadspace: CyberMarines vs. Aliens”