Campaign needs to be longer

Gonna try to be short and sweet to the point.

Halo 2 had an amazing campaign filled with fresh environments, good amount of enemies, and great cutscenes. I felt much more attached to the characters because you were able to see two points of views and how the enemies are pretty much your allies with different goals.

Campaigns in Halo games since Reach have been too straight forward and focus too much on graphics rather than developing the story. I think we need to decrease the amount of waypoints to give people a sense of mystery and give them a chance to explore. We overall need a longer campaign that won’t get stale too quick. Just htink that Halo 2 was supposed to be even longer, many levels, cutscenes, and some vehicles were cut out. I think Halo 5 could be very promising if a lot of effort was put into the campaign rather than petty things.

You make a valid point, but I disagree because of the tendency of Halo games to rinse and repeat level designs. I much prefer the campaign as it is, without any levels copied and pasted like the Library.

Bigger sandboxes, more vehicular combat would great additions. And I personally didn’t think Halo Reach was that straight forward when compared to the other titles in the Trilogy.

Halo 2 had a really great campaign becuase we were playing from 2 different perspective. ODST was pretty cool as well when it put players in New Mombasa.

With next gen consoles coming, we should see a substantial improvement to Halo in general.

Bungie cut a lot of repeating level design from H2 that was suppose to make the game longer. And for this I thank them. I prefer a more streamlined experience than doing the same -Yoink- over and over again.

I agree that longer would be better (and introduce new ways to explain the story a bit better), but I’m fine with it if longer campaigns bring more repeat-like missions.

I would love a Half-life 2-length campaign in a Halo game.

They should have added two extra ramps or flights of stairs before every button you had to push. It would have been longer.

I mean there are so many opportunities to introduce new gameplay elements. There are giant characters in the Haloverse. We could have some Halo bosses and introduces some God of War-esque gameplay with Spartan-based QTEs.

More vehicles, mystery, and different paths in the story could surely stretch out the campaign. 343i focus too much on Spartan Ops and making the game as shiny as possible…

> 343i focus too much on Spartan Ops and making the game as shiny as possible…

What makes you think they spent much time on Spartan Ops? That takes backtracking to a whole new level, Episode 7 especially.

> Gonna try to be short and sweet to the point.
>
> Halo 2 had an amazing campaign filled with fresh environments, good amount of enemies, and great cutscenes. I felt much more attached to the characters because you were able to see two points of views and how the enemies are pretty much your allies with different goals.
>
> Campaigns in Halo games since Reach have been too straight forward and focus too much on graphics rather than developing the story. I think we need to decrease the amount of waypoints to give people a sense of mystery and give them a chance to explore. We overall need a longer campaign that won’t get stale too quick. Just htink that Halo 2 was supposed to be even longer, many levels, cutscenes, and some vehicles were cut out. I think Halo 5 could be very promising if a lot of effort was put into the campaign rather than petty things.

I think H4 was as good as a campaign as 3 and CE as well as 2. I think everyone is so fond of playing as Arbiter which was good but enough already 2 IMO wasn’t the best. Although it did have some of the best cut scenes your right!

My god, Halo 2 was AMAZING. The campaign was full of vastly different environments, many enemy types, was very long, and had a deep, yet understandable plot. And to think that a TON of content was cut from Halo 2 due to time-restraint is mind-boggling.

+1 OP

Dare I say, I liked Halo 2’s graphics more than Halo 4. While yes, it’s a lot more rugged, unpolished and old Xbox feel, it fits the story. Halo 2 was dark and gritty, and the old buildings of Delta Halo and Old Mombasa, paired with the lush Covenant hues, gave the story a new level of vibrant life.

Imagine if Halo had a Gears-sized campaign

I’d nerdgasm all over the floor.

> Campaigns in Halo games since Reach have been too straight forward and focus too much on graphics rather than developing the story.
>
> I think we need to decrease the amount of waypoints to give people a sense of mystery and give them a chance to explore.
>
> We overall need a longer campaign that won’t get stale too quick.

Yep.

Especially in Spartan Ops.

If I had known we’d be linking up/working with a bunch of territorial marines, I’d have preferred that they keep Chief and Cortana by themselves.

Honestly, how many times in the Halo 4 Campaign do marines follow you on foot to the next area? I can only remember 1 brief instance on Infinity and 1 brief instance on Composer. Compare this to AotCR, Gravemind, and Sierra 117 they followed you for a long duration.

> You make a valid point, but I disagree because of the tendency of Halo games to rinse and repeat level designs. I much prefer the campaign as it is, without any levels copied and pasted like the Library.

Halo 4 has more unique environments but it doesn’t make good use of them.

AotCR made good use of them, each encounter feels distinct IMO. It was only repetitive if you were charging in there abusing noob combo. There were many opportunities for stealth, many opportunities for challenges (i.e. only using AR).