Campaign & Multiplayer released separately?

Do you think this is a possibility? I know there were rumors of this a while back.

We are finally seeing the game & only campaign is confirmed to be seen…perhaps they are saving MP as a surprise Beta drop after the campaign or just saving it for another date?

[deleted]

> 2535419739414165;2:
> I hope not! As much as I’m excited to try a Halo campaign for the first time, I can’t see myself playing the game after more than 2 play-throughs if there’s no multiplayer.

Yeah, totally agree!

> 2533274822200673;1:
> Do you think this is a possibility? I know there were rumors of this a while back.
>
> We are finally seeing the game & only campaign is confirmed to be seen…perhaps they are saving MP as a surprise Beta drop after the campaign or just saving it for another date?

I thought the same thing today. When it was said in the past I pushed it away as a sad rumor. Now, I am not so sure. 343 heads have said multiple times that they will launch a beta before launching any games. We have no information. They could drop it on us in the summer, but we would be getting a game in which only the minor details could be changed. Small tweaks and server testing before they launch this “Holiday”. All we have is speculation, but we will find out on July 23rd. That much is certain.

> 2533274817390757;4:
> > 2533274822200673;1:
> > Do you think this is a possibility? I know there were rumors of this a while back.
> >
> > We are finally seeing the game & only campaign is confirmed to be seen…perhaps they are saving MP as a surprise Beta drop after the campaign or just saving it for another date?
>
> I thought the same thing today. When it was said in the past I pushed it away as a sad rumor. Now, I am not so sure. 343 heads have said multiple times that they will launch a beta before launching any games. We have no information. They could drop it on us in the summer, but we would be getting a game in which only the minor details could be changed. Small tweaks and server testing before they launch this “Holiday”. All we have is speculation, but we will find out on July 23rd. That much is certain.

I have a very strange feeling that we may not see multiplayer at the event next week - because it’s being launched at another time.

I follow all the major Xbox insiders closely. They have all echoed similar statements around the multiplayer taking “A very bold move”

maybe that’s free to play, but I doubt it…Gamepass sort of already does that.

maybe it’s a shock drop beta on the 23rd?! That’s the best case scenario

or…is it that there will be no MP at launch?

i just find it very hard to believe that there hasn’t been a shred of any substance surrounding the game. Especially when it comes to the multiplayer. Usually something gets leaked or mentioned…but maybe Xbox just has this game on a tight lock down bc it is the flagship launch title for XSX

> 2533274822200673;5:
> > 2533274817390757;4:
> > > 2533274822200673;1:
> > > Do you think this is a possibility? I know there were rumors of this a while back.
> > >
> > > We are finally seeing the game & only campaign is confirmed to be seen…perhaps they are saving MP as a surprise Beta drop after the campaign or just saving it for another date?
> >
> > I thought the same thing today. When it was said in the past I pushed it away as a sad rumor. Now, I am not so sure. 343 heads have said multiple times that they will launch a beta before launching any games. We have no information. They could drop it on us in the summer, but we would be getting a game in which only the minor details could be changed. Small tweaks and server testing before they launch this “Holiday”. All we have is speculation, but we will find out on July 23rd. That much is certain.
>
> I have a very strange feeling that we may not see multiplayer at the event next week - because it’s being launched at another time.
>
> I follow all the major Xbox insiders closely. They have all echoed similar statements around the multiplayer taking “A very bold move”
>
> maybe that’s free to play, but I doubt it…Gamepass sort of already does that.
>
> maybe it’s a shock drop beta on the 23rd?! That’s the best case scenario
>
> or…is it that there will be no MP at launch?
>
> i just find it very hard to believe that there hasn’t been a shred of any substance surrounding the game. Especially when it comes to the multiplayer. Usually something gets leaked or mentioned…but maybe Xbox just has this game on a tight lock down bc it is the flagship launch title for XSX

Xbox is good at keeping Halo secrets. I don’t remember anything coming out early about Halo 5 and there was a lot that could have. I think Xbox needs Halo multiplayer when they launch the series x. Halo campaign is big, but Halo multiplayer could be huge and it needs to grab and keep players. Personally, my friends would not buy Halo Infinite for campaign only. If multiplayer comes later, it would need to be free to play.

We might have multiplayer PvE and/or campaign co-op before arena style PvP multiplayer and Warzone 2.0 (if that’s a thing).

This is just an idea on the topic of staggered multiplayer release:
Halo Infinite likely starts with humanity at a catastrophic disadvantage that we need to claw out of. The initial release would have the semi-open exploration campaign with a new innovative multiplayer mode to have large PvE battles. Eventually the playerbase amasses enough victories and thus resources, and the evolving game word sets a new base of operations. That could be a base on a Halo ring, or even the UNSC Eternity (remember that Halo 5 concept art with the unnamed ship at a port? Everyone thought it was Infinify…). Now the PvP battle simulations can resume, like how Halo 4 & 5 tied arena multiplayer to training programs.

Personally I don’t think pvp multiplayer will not be released. It is too risky for a flagship launch title. But if I can make up that scenario while thumb typing, I’m sure 343 could manage a creative solution. I mean it’s not like they’ve screwed anything up with Halo before, right?

I’m calling it now: this game will massively flop if multiplayer is not in the game at launch. I honestly think there’s a 0% chance of that happening, and I very highly doubt Microsoft would let the biggest entry of their flagship title, and the game that the Series X launch is most dependent on, launch without such a huge part of the game

I don’t think there’s even the slightest need to worry about this. I hope not anyway…

Multiplayer and campaign have different needs–so I wouldn’t be surprised if they split up the release and maybe even development priority in order to focus as much attention and care as they can on either one.

Infinite’s campaign has to make a good impression the first time around (there’s a lot, I’d imagine, riding on it after Halo 5 especially) and, in many ways, the gameplay of the single-player experience does not need to be a 1:1 mirror to what happens in the multiplayer. I think Reach, especially now on MCC, is a good example of this–the game plays very differently in multiplayer than it does in campaign. Multiplayer can grow and evolve over time to suit the needs of it existing in a diverse, live environment where countless players invest countless hours over countless sessions. There’s time to grow and improve; and, based on the way many other modern multiplayer games have changed over the course of their lives, I think most gamers are tolerant of changes and alterations to a formula over time. I think a similar thought process might lead a team to conclude splitting up releases and development time in order to address the unique needs of each separate game mode.

It may also just be the case that word was traveling around that this reveal next week would only showcase single-player campaign and that as this got around, it led to some thinking it implied separate releases. OR, that at some point in development, they may have been considering this approach and thus were always planning for “E3” to only show campaign should they decide to do this.

I’m ok with separate campaign and multiplayer as long as they release the same day. Some players prefer one over the other, it would be senseless to release them at separate times. But have them independent of each other ? Why not ?

Am I crazy or did Frank O’Connor not debunk that rumor shortly after it came out? Anyway, I wouldn’t mind it as long as they were priced correctly.

> 2533274908070201;8:
> I’m calling it now: this game will massively flop if multiplayer is not in the game at launch. I honestly think there’s a 0% chance of that happening, and I very highly doubt Microsoft would let the biggest entry of their flagship title, and the game that the Series X launch is most dependent on, launch without such a huge part of the game
>
> I don’t think there’s even the slightest need to worry about this. I hope not anyway…

Agreed. Releasing the game with no multiplayer would be a huge hit to the game’s longevity. I can’t see Microsoft making that mistake. I like to think they got most of their big mistakes out of the way when the Xbox one launched

This rumour has been debunked a couple times on twitter now and yet somehow keeps popping back up. I’m not going through Grims twitter to find a link again but it is absolutely not happening.

> 2533274882881665;13:
> This rumour has been debunked a couple times on twitter now and yet somehow keeps popping back up. I’m not going through Grims twitter to find a link again but it is absolutely not happening.

That puts me at ease, I vaguely remember it being debunked as well.

No chance they separate the releases. This is Xbox’s biggest, most important franchise and a critical part to launching Series X on a successful note.

Developers have the user data. They know exactly how people spent their time as soon as Halo 4 and Halo 5 launched (probably 2 and 3 as well, to a lesser extent). Yes - for plenty of us loyal fans we want to fully play through campaign first (for the story/campaign experience) before touching MP. I bet the data suggests this isn’t the trend though. Plenty of people will want to jump straight into MP - or maybe play a mission or two of campaign then switch over to MP. In addition to staggering the releases being a total amateur move (which should not be happening for the console’s biggest franchise), this user data further supports them not doing something like this.

Separately, I hope Gears 5 really taught Xbox a lesson on how not to launch a game. The first week of that launch was the biggest sh*tshow and disaster I’ve ever experienced. Not only were server issues stopping people from playing online MP, they also had issues that were stopping users from playing campaign solo. There were plenty of instances during that first week where you just couldn’t play the game, period. Achievement progress was another huge issue due to online servers. Grinding through those during launch week was an achievement hunter’s worst nightmare.

I think they could possibly do the same as in Halo Reach Multiplayer Campaign Maps