Campaign (Legendary) Friendly AI is so Frustrating

EDIT: Can’t tell if people just aren’t reading the OP are just misunderstood. I am not having trouble completing the campaign on legendary at all. It just annoys me how useless my spartans are and i end up having to do all the work. Its simply not as fun as it could be.

I finally got around to trying to beat the (solo) campaign on legendary for Halo 5. Don’t get me wrong I didn’t enjoy the story in the slightest and didn’t find any particular missions that fun, but decided to do it anyway because im bored and have nothing to do now that im in chemotherapy lol.

I will just start off and say that overall I think they did a pretty decent job of level design in that theres lots of approaches to all of the areas, and there are many weapons to use. You can even find REQ variants hidden in the map which is neat too. On legendary, finding the different approaches is key because rushing in will obviously mean death.

What makes it so damn annoying to play is how -Yoink- the other spartans’ AI are. I think they are decent at moving to certain points and you can make it manageable when you want to swap weapons (just keep spamming pick up weapon until a spartan drops the one you need.) The biggest and by far most annoying problem is their combat, or lack thereof. I swear they never take shots unless they are standing 5 yards away from the enemy. I was on Glassed, had pretty much every spartan grab a snipe rifle, and told them to attack the Promethean on the chaingun all the way across the gravel path. Instead of just using their snipers to take out the turret effectively, literally all of them just switched to a secondary and immediately just went running in YOLO style. Hell, even Marines from Halo 3 would have just taken them out from where they stood, and i wouldn’t even need to give them an order to do so.

Its pretty obvious Halo 5’s campaign was truly meant for Coop (even though theres no -Yoink- splitscreen). I think they hardly worked on spartan ai because they probably didn’t think it mattered.

And does this mean its unplayable at all? Of course not. You can still manage to take everything out, you just end up having to do it yourself, and then it hardly feels like you are in a fight with your teammates, and any really fun strategy that could have been implemented into working with capable ai is not there. I know its legendary, but previous Halo campaigns still allowed you to put your marines to good use even at the hardest moments in the game. Its just not anywhere near as fun as it could have been with a little more work on the AI, and thats what frustrates me.

Realized this thread is pretty much just me complaining so decided I’d give my thoughts about the ideal ai in a game.

• I think the last game I’ve played where I was able to give commands like this to my squad members was Rainbow Six Vegas 2. What worked well with that game was that the AI actually did a good job of fighting in the positions you put them in. In Halo 5, you can tell them to move to a certain point, but after that they kind of just gradually move towards you. I would add more commands in the d-pad such as taking positions, holding positions, or “On me/Regroup.” - Something that could be cool but maybe to complex would be giving spartan specific instructions, such as telling Buck to go grab a shotgun, instead of “hey one of you 3 go grab that shotgun at random.” This would not only allow for more control, but you could also spread out the spartans in the battlefield in a much more tactical manner. - Lastly, I noticed that there are some weapons that Spartans refuse to pick up. Primarily the energy sword and whatever the Promethean turret is called (when broken off its stand). Although i get that it could be overpowered, what if 343 were able to even improve the enemies AI. Now not only are we taking priority on their biggest threats, but they might spot a dangerous spartan with a sword, turret, rocket launcher, etc and it could influence who they go after.Obviously, I am in no way saying “wow 343 why weren’t these features in there im so salty now.” I was just expressing what I think an ideal AI system could look like, just for fun. My original point still stands though in that I think they could have done a better job at the AI’s combat in general.

The ais are always bad they are far from good but a small silver lining is that they a lot better than the reach ais

I beat halo 5’s campaign my for my first play through in about 12 hours. At very little times i would have an AI save me, also on that sanghellios city they just kept falling off and dying.

> 2535405450804460;2:
> The ais are always bad they are far from good but a small silver lining is that they a lot better than the reach ais

But the fact that id feel more comfortable giving a halo 3 marine a power weapon over one of these spartans really concerns me lmao

> 2533274816174599;1:
> I finally got around to trying to beat the (solo) campaign on legendary for Halo 5. Don’t get me wrong I didn’t enjoy the story in the slightest and didn’t find any particular missions that fun, but decided to do it anyway because im bored and have nothing to do now that im in chemotherapy lol.
>
> I will just start off and say that overall I think they did a pretty decent job of level design in that theres lots of approaches to all of the areas, and there are many weapons to use. You can even find REQ variants hidden in the map which is neat too. On legendary, finding the different approaches is key because rushing in will obviously mean death.
>
> What makes it so damn annoying to play is how -Yoink- the other spartans’ AI are. I think they are decent at moving to certain points and you can make it manageable when you want to swap weapons (just keep spamming pick up weapon until a spartan drops the one you need.) The biggest and by far most annoying problem is their combat, or lack thereof. I swear they never take shots unless they are standing 5 yards away from the enemy. I was on Glassed, had pretty much every spartan grab a snipe rifle, and told them to attack the Promethean on the chaingun all the way across the gravel path. Instead of just using their snipers to take out the turret effectively, literally all of them just switched to a secondary and immediately just went running in YOLO style. Hell, even Marines from Halo 3 would have just taken them out from where they stood, and i wouldn’t even need to give them an order to do so.
>
> Its pretty obvious Halo 5’s campaign was truly meant for Coop (even though theres no -Yoink- splitscreen). I think they hardly worked on spartan ai because they probably didn’t think it mattered.
>
> And does this mean its unplayable at all? Of course not. You can still manage to take everything out, you just end up having to do it yourself, and then it hardly feels like you are in a fight with your teammates, and any really fun strategy that could have been implemented into working with capable ai is not there. I know its legendary, but previous Halo campaigns still allowed you to put your marines to good use even at the hardest moments in the game. Its just not anywhere near as fun as it could have been with a little more work on the AI, and thats what frustrates me.

Did Halo 5 Legendary for my first play though. AI’s are good if you use them as revive machines, keeping them behind you slightly and not letting going anywhere near rough terrain because that confuses them. Legendary solo has always not been worth counting on the AIs. The fact they can revive is good enough to make the experience much easier.

> 2533274847364210;5:
> > 2533274816174599;1:
> > I finally got around to trying to beat the (solo) campaign on legendary for Halo 5. Don’t get me wrong I didn’t enjoy the story in the slightest and didn’t find any particular missions that fun, but decided to do it anyway because im bored and have nothing to do now that im in chemotherapy lol.
> >
> > I will just start off and say that overall I think they did a pretty decent job of level design in that theres lots of approaches to all of the areas, and there are many weapons to use. You can even find REQ variants hidden in the map which is neat too. On legendary, finding the different approaches is key because rushing in will obviously mean death.
> >
> > What makes it so damn annoying to play is how -Yoink- the other spartans’ AI are. I think they are decent at moving to certain points and you can make it manageable when you want to swap weapons (just keep spamming pick up weapon until a spartan drops the one you need.) The biggest and by far most annoying problem is their combat, or lack thereof. I swear they never take shots unless they are standing 5 yards away from the enemy. I was on Glassed, had pretty much every spartan grab a snipe rifle, and told them to attack the Promethean on the chaingun all the way across the gravel path. Instead of just using their snipers to take out the turret effectively, literally all of them just switched to a secondary and immediately just went running in YOLO style. Hell, even Marines from Halo 3 would have just taken them out from where they stood, and i wouldn’t even need to give them an order to do so.
> >
> > Its pretty obvious Halo 5’s campaign was truly meant for Coop (even though theres no -Yoink- splitscreen). I think they hardly worked on spartan ai because they probably didn’t think it mattered.
> >
> > And does this mean its unplayable at all? Of course not. You can still manage to take everything out, you just end up having to do it yourself, and then it hardly feels like you are in a fight with your teammates, and any really fun strategy that could have been implemented into working with capable ai is not there. I know its legendary, but previous Halo campaigns still allowed you to put your marines to good use even at the hardest moments in the game. Its just not anywhere near as fun as it could have been with a little more work on the AI, and thats what frustrates me.
>
>
> Did Halo 5 Legendary for my first play though. AI’s are good if you use them as revive machines, keeping them behind you slightly and not letting going anywhere near rough terrain because that confuses them. Legendary solo has always not been worth counting on the AIs. The fact they can revive is good enough to make the experience much easier.

Oh, I definitely agree with you. Thats how they work best. But doesn’t that anger you at all? They are just revive mules more or less. You can’t really put them to any other good uses, and it makes it not as fun/satisfying to think your way through a level with the help of your team.

> 2533274816174599;6:
> > 2533274847364210;5:
> > > 2533274816174599;1:
> > > I finally got around to trying to beat the (solo) campaign on legendary for Halo 5. Don’t get me wrong I didn’t enjoy the story in the slightest and didn’t find any particular missions that fun, but decided to do it anyway because im bored and have nothing to do now that im in chemotherapy lol.
> > >
> > > I will just start off and say that overall I think they did a pretty decent job of level design in that theres lots of approaches to all of the areas, and there are many weapons to use. You can even find REQ variants hidden in the map which is neat too. On legendary, finding the different approaches is key because rushing in will obviously mean death.
> > >
> > > What makes it so damn annoying to play is how -Yoink- the other spartans’ AI are. I think they are decent at moving to certain points and you can make it manageable when you want to swap weapons (just keep spamming pick up weapon until a spartan drops the one you need.) The biggest and by far most annoying problem is their combat, or lack thereof. I swear they never take shots unless they are standing 5 yards away from the enemy. I was on Glassed, had pretty much every spartan grab a snipe rifle, and told them to attack the Promethean on the chaingun all the way across the gravel path. Instead of just using their snipers to take out the turret effectively, literally all of them just switched to a secondary and immediately just went running in YOLO style. Hell, even Marines from Halo 3 would have just taken them out from where they stood, and i wouldn’t even need to give them an order to do so.
> > >
> > > Its pretty obvious Halo 5’s campaign was truly meant for Coop (even though theres no -Yoink- splitscreen). I think they hardly worked on spartan ai because they probably didn’t think it mattered.
> > >
> > > And does this mean its unplayable at all? Of course not. You can still manage to take everything out, you just end up having to do it yourself, and then it hardly feels like you are in a fight with your teammates, and any really fun strategy that could have been implemented into working with capable ai is not there. I know its legendary, but previous Halo campaigns still allowed you to put your marines to good use even at the hardest moments in the game. Its just not anywhere near as fun as it could have been with a little more work on the AI, and thats what frustrates me.
> >
> >
> > Did Halo 5 Legendary for my first play though. AI’s are good if you use them as revive machines, keeping them behind you slightly and not letting going anywhere near rough terrain because that confuses them. Legendary solo has always not been worth counting on the AIs. The fact they can revive is good enough to make the experience much easier.
>
>
> Oh, I definitely agree with you. Thats how they work best. But doesn’t that anger you at all? They are just revive mules more or less. You can’t really put them to any other good uses, and it makes it not as fun/satisfying to think your way through a level with the help of your team.

It’s an achievement for soloing. I’m surprised AI’s weren’t stripped from it. I did Halo 2 on Legendary. That was frustrating. Being able to go down and survive it is lovely.

Some tips… #1 don’t be afraid to let them die over and over… #2 pay attention to what weapons they are using. You have to order them to pick up better weapons. #3 if using them to fight be sure to try and prioritize targets for them.

> 2533274816788253;8:
> Some tips… #1 don’t be afraid to let them die over and over… #2 pay attention to what weapons they are using. You have to order them to pick up better weapons. #3 if using them to fight be sure to try and prioritize targets for them.

I give them power weapons, they just don’t do anything with them.

Realized this thread is pretty much just me complaining so decided I’d give my thoughts about the ideal ai in a game.

• I think the last game I’ve played where I was able to give commands like this to my squad members was Rainbow Six Vegas 2. What worked well with that game was that the AI actually did a good job of fighting in the positions you put them in. In Halo 5, you can tell them to move to a certain point, but after that they kind of just gradually move towards you. I would add more commands in the d-pad such as taking positions, holding positions, or “On me/Regroup.” - Something that could be cool but maybe to complex would be giving spartan specific instructions, such as telling Buck to go grab a shotgun, instead of “hey one of you 3 go grab that shotgun at random.” This would not only allow for more control, but you could also spread out the spartans in the battlefield in a much more tactical manner. - Lastly, I noticed that there are some weapons that Spartans refuse to pick up. Primarily the energy sword and whatever the Promethean turret is called (when broken off its stand). Although i get that it could be overpowered, what if 343 were able to even improve the enemies AI. Now not only are we taking priority on their biggest threats, but they might spot a dangerous spartan with a sword, turret, rocket launcher, etc and it could influence who they go after.

Order them around, tell them to pick up real weapons. -Yoink- vale and her plasma pistol.

> 2533274882108474;11:
> Order them around, tell them to pick up real weapons. -Yoink- vale and her plasma pistol.

again, you aren’t reading