Campaign DLC

I want a proper campaign expansion beyond the main story. Should be episodic like Half life 2 (not like spartan ops). Each episode per year. So if we have to wait for 3 years cycle for the next main game it should have 3 episodes. But the protagonist should not be John on the DLC it should be an ODST (not spartan IVs). The story should be well flushed out (like Half life 2 episodes) rather than get to Point A to B. What do you guys think of this?

I think Halo Infinite should have a complete campaign to finish Master Chief’s story, but there could be side stories that are added as DLC, such as playing as an ODST or a Brute, or even a mini campaign where you play as a Promethean Knight. That can be a way to add in the DLC for that content.

> 2666640315087182;2:
> I think Halo Infinite should have a complete campaign to finish Master Chief’s story, but there could be side stories that are added as DLC, such as playing as an ODST or a Brute, or even a mini campaign where you play as a Promethean Knight. That can be a way to add in the DLC for that content.

What do you mean by ‘Finish Master Chief story’? We are starting a new era. Even 343 said this is a 10 year journey with the new Halo. Very reason the Reclaimer saga was dropped. I highly doubt John will be written off with just one game!

> 2533274944256777;3:
> > 2666640315087182;2:
> > I think Halo Infinite should have a complete campaign to finish Master Chief’s story, but there could be side stories that are added as DLC, such as playing as an ODST or a Brute, or even a mini campaign where you play as a Promethean Knight. That can be a way to add in the DLC for that content.
>
> What do you mean by ‘Finish Master Chief story’? We are starting a new era. Even 343 said this is a 10 year journey with the new Halo. Very reason the Reclaimer saga was dropped. I highly doubt John will be written off with just one game!

I don’t mind the campaign DLC as long as the whole main chief story is free but the story doc isn’t too overpriced, unlike Destiny.

I would love campaign dlc just as long as the game launches with a complete story at launch.

> 2533274944256777;1:
> I want a proper campaign expansion beyond the main story. Should be episodic like Half life 2 (not like spartan ops). Each episode per year. So if we have to wait for 3 years cycle for the next main game it should have 3 episodes. But the protagonist should not be John on the DLC it should be an ODST (not spartan IVs). The story should be well flushed out (like Half life 2 episodes) rather than get to Point A to B. What do you guys think of this?

I like the idea and I think that it would definitely keep people interested in the game while the new is being developed, that being said I would give some recommendations and some precautions, the main story that the game released with should be a finished story, it should have a definite start and ending that John goes through, the DLC should focus on other characters either ODST’s, Marines or some other Spartan that are doing their own thing which runs parallel to the main story, so when playing as the Chief we could see a far of explosion or some room completely devastated by a previous firefight in the original story in the DLC we could actually be inside the firefight and know what happened, the DLC should also have a solid start but could be left open ended for the next DLC to pick up if 343i so wished. there are obviously many other things to say but this I think is the most important, don’t do a Destiny on us with the main story but add more information and backstory with the DLC when they come out without missing up the main story.

Hopefully if there are dlcs, it is some kind of side story, not the mains.

There were never campaign dlc’s since CE 17 years ago and I doubt this tradition will ever be discontinued,
something i really don’t mind. I want the full story on day 1, no episodic -Yoink-, no cut and/or restrained content.

> 2533274886490718;8:
> There were never campaign dlc’s since CE 17 years ago and I doubt this tradition will ever be discontinued,
> something i really don’t mind. I want the full story on day 1, no episodic -Yoink-, no cut and/or restrained content.

Spartan Ops in Halo 4 was pretty much campaign DLC, it just wasn’t executed that well and was banking too much on “playing with friends” to make the gameplay better.

> 2666640315087182;9:
> > 2533274886490718;8:
> > There were never campaign dlc’s since CE 17 years ago and I doubt this tradition will ever be discontinued,
> > something i really don’t mind. I want the full story on day 1, no episodic -Yoink-, no cut and/or restrained content.
>
> Spartan Ops in Halo 4 was pretty much campaign DLC, it just wasn’t executed that well and was banking too much on “playing with friends” to make the gameplay better.

I don’t see SpOps as Campaign DLC, more like additional content like firefight or warzone,
since there didn’t happen anything integral to Chief’s story.
One could also say it was some kind of “mini spin-off”.
But yeah, I agree on the poor execution, altough the concept was interesting.
But that’s also the reason why I prefer spin-off content to get it own release,
separated from the main game, because it becomes “too much” in the end which in conclusion
tends to diminish the quality of the other content.

I think it’s promising that 343i seems to be building Slipspace Engine with the ability to create and adapt content much more quickly than was possible on the old Halo engine.

But I think conversations about DLC ought to probably occur after we have the primary game in our hands. I will say that if the main campaign can’t shine on its own, it will be incredibly difficult to drum up enough hype to justify more.

> 2533274886490718;10:
> > 2666640315087182;9:
> > > 2533274886490718;8:
> > > There were never campaign dlc’s since CE 17 years ago and I doubt this tradition will ever be discontinued,
> > > something i really don’t mind. I want the full story on day 1, no episodic -Yoink-, no cut and/or restrained content.
> >
> > Spartan Ops in Halo 4 was pretty much campaign DLC, it just wasn’t executed that well and was banking too much on “playing with friends” to make the gameplay better.
>
> I don’t see SpOps as Campaign DLC, more like additional content like firefight or warzone,
> since there didn’t happen anything integral to Chief’s story.
> One could also say it was some kind of “mini spin-off”.
> But yeah, I agree on the poor execution, altough the concept was interesting.
> But that’s also the reason why I prefer spin-off content to get it own release,
> separated from the main game, because it becomes “too much” in the end which in conclusion
> tends to diminish the quality of the other content.

Well in the same way you can say ODST wasn’t a campaign as it was not part of the Master Chief’s story. It was a story and it was DLC, it was just as you said a spin off.

Now if you are talking about campaign DLC that is something that affects the main story, there is just so many ideas that will end up with something horrible, such as an unfinished campaign. Yes the campaign should be self contained at launch. As for DLC to add to the campaign, better as a spin off story.

I have a spinoff idea, how about being able to play as an everyday marine? I mean they are in most of the UNSC’s shadows, and treated as cannon fodder compared to the legendary spartans or the -Yoink- Odst’s. We will be able to gain a better understanding of what its like to be in the boots worn by most of the UNSC, and witness how easily terminated these marines are. (Like maybe having the main character sacrafice himself but not be well known as a Spartan does the same next to his corpse many years later, and is given a larger memorial or something like that

> 2535453370459051;13:
> I have a spinoff idea, how about being able to play as an everyday marine? I mean they are in most of the UNSC’s shadows, and treated as cannon fodder compared to the legendary spartans or the -Yoink- Odst’s. We will be able to gain a better understanding of what its like to be in the boots worn by most of the UNSC, and witness how easily terminated these marines are. (Like maybe having the main character sacrafice himself but not be well known as a Spartan does the same next to his corpse many years later, and is given a larger memorial or something like that

While a Marine might be a natural playable character you got to remember this is a video game that has that power fantasy of be better than your average joe. That being said a standard marine or UNSC trooper would not be an ideal character. For one you have absolute no agency and will have to be told where to go and where to stay and do exactly as you are told. Playing a Marine would be no more compelling than playing as a civilian or a UNSC crewman.

Playing as an ODST however, well for one you are playing as the same human as any marine, UNSC or civilian. The only difference is they went through a selection and training program. No cybernetic enhancements, no biological augments, no special power armor. Just good old fashioned human determination, a M5AB Assault Rifle with some guts behind it.
The only thing I would say is make the ODST more humane in their design. In H3 ODST they were pretty much watered down Spartans. Shields were renamed to stamina (but still worked as an regenerating hit points over your health), you were slightly smaller and slower, and your melee attacks were just barely effective against a grunt. But other than that it was the same game play you had of shoot this take cover when low on health and blast your way through hundreds of enemies in groups of a dozen or so.

I’ve made a pool about how the stamina system should be implemented for the next ODST game and surprisingly people would rather have it as an energy system for abilities like sprint or clamber and for ODSTs to not have any regenerating health whatsoever. The option to keep it the same just like in H3:ODST has yet to have a vote (but that may change). So yeah the only problem with the ODST in H3 was the mechanics made the closer to spartans when they should have been closer to marines. Hopefully they do that when the put playable ODSTs in Halo Infinite.

Besides I want ODST Swat to be in the playlist.

> 2533274944256777;3:
> > 2666640315087182;2:
> > I think Halo Infinite should have a complete campaign to finish Master Chief’s story, but there could be side stories that are added as DLC, such as playing as an ODST or a Brute, or even a mini campaign where you play as a Promethean Knight. That can be a way to add in the DLC for that content.
>
> What do you mean by ‘Finish Master Chief story’? We are starting a new era. Even 343 said this is a 10 year journey with the new Halo. Very reason the Reclaimer saga was dropped. I highly doubt John will be written off with just one game!

Those are buzz words that companies use to try to convince people that they have a plan beyond the next game. Remember the Ghostbusters reboot and Fan4stic? Before release, the producers were saying “it is the beginning of a new series that will be very popular with many sequels and expansions!” And both ended up DOA. Same with X-Men Dark Phoenix.

Realistically, the future of series depends on the reception of the current game or movie at hand. They may be able to get away with ONE extra product if the current one fails. But more than likely, it gets canceled. If Infinite is worse than Halo 5, I see it as the beginning of the end for the Halo serie .

I’d love to see side stories of other, established characters in the universe. We know Infinite will be Chief-centric, and maybe that’s what many want, but id like to see other characters develop, and experience their stories.
If episodic in design, maybe a small set of missions involving Blue Team and their saga. Or, dare I say, Osiris, and their continuing missions and goals. Arbiter and his struggles to unify his people and stand against the Created. There are so many possibilities for more stories and experiences.
If Spartan Ops makes an appearance, I think itd be fitting to have Locke be the Spartan Commander or even that you, the player, become the newest member of Fire Team Osiris. Maybe Buck goes back to his newly “reformed” Alpha 9 team (spoiler alert if you haven’t read Halo: Bad Blood), and Osiris has to fill the missing team members spot; you. You could fight along side these elite Spartans and undertake missions with them.

I’d be cool with a yearly campaign DLC as long as they wouldn’t take away from the main game.

I hope there is DLC for the campaign. Post campaign they could tell a story from a marine perspective or from another spartan that died in the end. They can do so much to expand the story and hope 343I does.

Edit: I personally didn’t hate Spartan Ops in Halo 4, granted the execution of it was crap, and drove away anyone that didn’t buy the season pass, but it was an alternate story.

> 2533274944256777;3:
> > 2666640315087182;2:
>

Stories without end tend not to be as good as they once were.

> 2533274815543309;16:
> I’d love to see side stories of other, established characters in the universe. We know Infinite will be Chief-centric, and maybe that’s what many want, but id like to see other characters develop, and experience their stories.
> If episodic in design, maybe a small set of missions involving Blue Team and their saga. Or, dare I say, Osiris, and their continuing missions and goals. Arbiter and his struggles to unify his people and stand against the Created. There are so many possibilities for more stories and experiences.
> If Spartan Ops makes an appearance, I think itd be fitting to have Locke be the Spartan Commander or even that you, the player, become the newest member of Fire Team Osiris. Maybe Buck goes back to his newly “reformed” Alpha 9 team (spoiler alert if you haven’t read Halo: Bad Blood), and Osiris has to fill the missing team members spot; you. You could fight along side these elite Spartans and undertake missions with them.

I think these 2 suggestions (Blue team or Arbiter) are perfect for a campaign DLC.