Campaign DLC and Spartan Ops

One thing I find odd when people discuss halo 5 and the lore in general, is the notion that no one can be expected to have played/watched Spartan Ops, unlike the main campaign. From what I recall these were free to play, and the actual story bits were freely availble on youtube (where I watched them cause my internet couldn’t support xbox live).

Honestly, the barrier to entry on spartan ops is even lower than having to pay for a campaign pass. So is the same fan reaction going to extend to campaign passes? When halo infinite 2 comes out in 10+ years, are people going to be cracking jokes and making it seem like its 343’s fault they have no idea what happened in later campaign additions?

> 2533274964189700;1:
> One thing I find odd when people discuss halo 5 and the lore in general, is the notion that no one can be expected to have played/watched Spartan Ops, unlike the main campaign. From what I recall these were free to play, and the actual story bits were freely availble on youtube (where I watched them cause my internet couldn’t support xbox live).
>
> Honestly, the barrier to entry on spartan ops is even lower than having to pay for a campaign pass. So is the same fan reaction going to extend to campaign passes? When halo infinite 2 comes out in 10+ years, are people going to be cracking jokes and making it seem like its 343’s fault they have no idea what happened in later campaign additions?

Spartan ops story is maligned for the fact it was abandoned and then poorly concluded in escalations as was the didact.
None of that information has been provided in game either.
Peoples issue with 343is narrative design up to now is pretty valid as so much important info is glossed over sometimes not even alluded to. If the games themselves don’t care about these plot points why should fans of the games? I’ve read the bulk of EU stuff and I’m hoping 343i does a better job tying it all together.
But there has been an issue of 343i going through big changes internally and thus abandoning story beats that the casual fan would rightly expect to be resolved in the next game.
Imagine if halo 3 started and we were on requiem and to find out what happened between 2 and 3 you had to read a comic book that wasnt particularly well liked.

> 2535411919953126;2:
> > 2533274964189700;1:
> > One thing I find odd when people discuss halo 5 and the lore in general, is the notion that no one can be expected to have played/watched Spartan Ops, unlike the main campaign. From what I recall these were free to play, and the actual story bits were freely availble on youtube (where I watched them cause my internet couldn’t support xbox live).
> >
> > Honestly, the barrier to entry on spartan ops is even lower than having to pay for a campaign pass. So is the same fan reaction going to extend to campaign passes? When halo infinite 2 comes out in 10+ years, are people going to be cracking jokes and making it seem like its 343’s fault they have no idea what happened in later campaign additions?
>
> Spartan ops story is maligned for the fact it was abandoned and then poorly concluded in escalations as was the didact.
> None of that information has been provided in game either.
> Peoples issue with 343is narrative design up to now is pretty valid as so much important info is glossed over sometimes not even alluded to. If the games themselves don’t care about these plot points why should fans of the games? I’ve read the bulk of EU stuff and I’m hoping 343i does a better job tying it all together.
> But there has been an issue of 343i going through big changes internally and thus abandoning story beats that the casual fan would rightly expect to be resolved in the next game.
> Imagine if halo 3 started and we were on requiem and to find out what happened between 2 and 3 you had to read a comic book that wasnt particularly well liked.

While I agree with the overall point, Halo 2 to 3 is a completely different beast.

It is more like Halo CE to Halo 2. Bungie basically ignored First Strike and made it so that if you never touched a novel, you just assume MC got to Earth in the Longsword.

343 tried to do that with Halo 4 to 5. On the surface level, MC was recovered at the end of Halo 4 and we start Halo 5 with him returned to active duty with no Cortana. Unfortunately, the Halo universe has gotten considerably denser than it was in 2004. We start with Osiris without a proper in-game intro, Blue Team was just dropped on the laps of game only fans without the lead in they deserved, and the Halsey plot didn’t make any sense for people who only played the base campaign of 4. Expectations have changed in the last 15 years.

> 2806037446402987;3:
> > 2535411919953126;2:
> > > 2533274964189700;1:
> > >
>
> While I agree with the overall point, Halo 2 to 3 is a completely different beast.
>
> It is more like Halo CE to Halo 2. Bungie basically ignored First Strike and made it so that if you never touched a novel, you just assume MC got to Earth in the Longsword.
>
> 343 tried to do that with Halo 4 to 5. On the surface level, MC was recovered at the end of Halo 4 and we start Halo 5 with him returned to active duty with no Cortana. Unfortunately, the Halo universe has gotten considerably denser than it was in 2004. We start with Osiris without a proper in-game intro, Blue Team was just dropped on the laps of game only fans without the lead in they deserved, and the Halsey plot didn’t make any sense for people who only played the base campaign of 4. Expectations have changed in the last 15 years.

I don’t really agree. Yes first strike was ignored by bungie but it wasn’t a hanging plot point of halo CE. Also I never said it was analogous to the gap between 2 and 3. I said it would be like if all of 3 was relegated to external media and the next game was about requiem.

The Didact in halo 4 wasn’t properly established and his entire arc of taking back the mantle and the return of forerunners was literally dropped. Despite it being the subject matter of halo 4s epilogue.
Further the janus key arc literally left a second cliff hanger but changes to direction forced the arc to be concluded outside of the games.
So again theres no similarities to first strike because first strike is a self contained narrative with a start middle and end that didn’t start in a game and resolve on another medium.

> 2806037446402987;3:
> > 2535411919953126;2:
> > > 2533274964189700;1:
> > > One thing I find odd when people discuss halo 5 and the lore in general, is the notion that no one can be expected to have played/watched Spartan Ops, unlike the main campaign. From what I recall these were free to play, and the actual story bits were freely availble on youtube (where I watched them cause my internet couldn’t support xbox live).
> > >
> > > Honestly, the barrier to entry on spartan ops is even lower than having to pay for a campaign pass. So is the same fan reaction going to extend to campaign passes? When halo infinite 2 comes out in 10+ years, are people going to be cracking jokes and making it seem like its 343’s fault they have no idea what happened in later campaign additions?
> >
> > Spartan ops story is maligned for the fact it was abandoned and then poorly concluded in escalations as was the didact.
> > None of that information has been provided in game either.
> > Peoples issue with 343is narrative design up to now is pretty valid as so much important info is glossed over sometimes not even alluded to. If the games themselves don’t care about these plot points why should fans of the games? I’ve read the bulk of EU stuff and I’m hoping 343i does a better job tying it all together.
> > But there has been an issue of 343i going through big changes internally and thus abandoning story beats that the casual fan would rightly expect to be resolved in the next game.
> > Imagine if halo 3 started and we were on requiem and to find out what happened between 2 and 3 you had to read a comic book that wasnt particularly well liked.
>
> While I agree with the overall point, Halo 2 to 3 is a completely different beast.
>
> It is more like Halo CE to Halo 2. Bungie basically ignored First Strike and made it so that if you never touched a novel, you just assume MC got to Earth in the Longsword.
>
> 343 tried to do that with Halo 4 to 5. On the surface level, MC was recovered at the end of Halo 4 and we start Halo 5 with him returned to active duty with no Cortana. Unfortunately, the Halo universe has gotten considerably denser than it was in 2004. We start with Osiris without a proper in-game intro, Blue Team was just dropped on the laps of game only fans without the lead in they deserved, and the Halsey plot didn’t make any sense for people who only played the base campaign of 4. Expectations have changed in the last 15 years.

You also have to remember that a lot of these things happened because of outcry and backlash towards the studio.

Spartan Ops was dropped because of the negative reaction towards it since it replaced firefight in Halo 4(the reaction was hilariously bad). When they changed up Spartan ops for the second half of season 1, they got blasted again by those same people so they dropped it.

The Didact was killed because of his overwhelmingly negative reception at the time in H4 so he was killed in the comic and Jul was killed off early because of the negative reaction to him being a radical. They killed him in the game however because of the backlash to killing the Didact in the comic. Overall a lot of these story beats occurred because of them trying to appease fans to basically just be told to F off because those same fans never cared in the first place they just hated it to hate it and because it was different…here’s to hoping Spartan Ops makes a return

> 2535411919953126;4:
> > 2806037446402987;3:
> > > 2535411919953126;2:
> > > > 2533274964189700;1:
> > > >
> >
> > While I agree with the overall point, Halo 2 to 3 is a completely different beast.
> >
> > It is more like Halo CE to Halo 2. Bungie basically ignored First Strike and made it so that if you never touched a novel, you just assume MC got to Earth in the Longsword.
> >
> > 343 tried to do that with Halo 4 to 5. On the surface level, MC was recovered at the end of Halo 4 and we start Halo 5 with him returned to active duty with no Cortana. Unfortunately, the Halo universe has gotten considerably denser than it was in 2004. We start with Osiris without a proper in-game intro, Blue Team was just dropped on the laps of game only fans without the lead in they deserved, and the Halsey plot didn’t make any sense for people who only played the base campaign of 4. Expectations have changed in the last 15 years.
>
> I don’t really agree. Yes first strike was ignored by bungie but it wasn’t a hanging plot point of halo CE. Also I never said it was analogous to the gap between 2 and 3. I said it would be like if all of 3 was relegated to external media and the next game was about requiem.
>
> The Didact in halo 4 wasn’t properly established and his entire arc of taking back the mantle and the return of forerunners was literally dropped. Despite it being the subject matter of halo 4s epilogue.
> Further the janus key arc literally left a second cliff hanger but changes to direction forced the arc to be concluded outside of the games.
> So again theres no similarities to first strike because first strike is a self contained narrative with a start middle and end that didn’t start in a game and resolve on another medium.

I guess it depends on where you stick Spartan Ops. I consider that side media at this point, as the vast majority of players never played it. If you never touched Spartan Ops, the Jump from Halo 4 to Halo 5 actually makes more sense outside of the Halsey/Jul plot point.

The same couldn’t be said for your hypothetical Halo 2 to 3 jump, which I think is an over exaggeration of what we actually got for 4 to 5.

> 2806037446402987;6:
> > 2535411919953126;4:
> > > 2806037446402987;3:
> > > > 2535411919953126;2:
> > > > > 2533274964189700;1:
> > > > >
>
> I guess it depends on where you stick Spartan Ops. I consider that side media at this point, as the vast majority of players never played it. If you never touched Spartan Ops, the Jump from Halo 4 to Halo 5 actually makes more sense outside of the Halsey/Jul plot point.
>
> The same couldn’t be said for your hypothetical Halo 2 to 3 jump, which I think is an over exaggeration of what we actually got for 4 to 5.

Well i consider spartan ops as part of halo 4 because it was and heavily marketed as a bonus campaign that continues the story post launch.

Outside of the games inciting incident that was used to establish the entire games story by immediately hand waving away the prior games set up.

It was intentionally hyperbolic but not by all that much in terms of things that actually happen. The janus key arc and the next 72 hours have more beats than the entire run of halo 3.
Worse again the beats that they relegated were all easily integrated into the story they opted to tell in 5. The key, didact and the Warden could have all fit with almost no changes to their halo 5 script. Key opens bastion, Warden is the didact he got composed, minimal exposition.
But my point is starting stories in a game and then finishing them in novels or just dropping them entirely and pivoting the games narrative with every release is poor storytelling.
Blue team have huge potential in giving John people to characterise him without ruining his appeal. Spartans can be mostly silent but still deliver endearing and interesting dialogue that helps tie this adventure to the past and extended fiction.
Him having a team makes him no less impressive either if anything it gives him room to be even more so. Now he has people who even as super soldiers rely on him in cutscenes while making coop feel more immersive. The design of Infinte even supports asymmetrical mission design. Chief has to do this cool thing.
Coop must defend point A, support via over watch, take out generators etc. Adding more replay value as you take on a different role in the fight.
It serves the gameplay, narrative, marketing, books and franchise cohesion in a single stroke.

As a concept, Spartan Ops was way ahead of its time. Almost 10 years later, and Destiny is pretty much built around the same framework.
But the mode came at the cost of another fan favourite mode, which I think is what initially turned fans against it.

The fact that 343 went on to cancel the idea, and move the story over too an arguably ‘lesser’ format, really sealed the casket for a lot of fans, who would then pass over it as a necessary part of the canon. They essential did the reverse of pulling characters from the EU into the games.

If they had stuck to their guns and come out with a second season in 2013, along with some maps and other DLC, it would have shown they were serious about the idea, and fans would have been more onboard with it as a valued ‘entry’ in the story.
What they accomplished story wise in season 1 felt like a great opening to a progressive story. Heck, if it was still good by season 3 in 2014 (maybe releasing with MCC), they could have gone for a forth season, giving Guardians another year in development.

> 2533274810945725;8:
> As a concept, Spartan Ops was way ahead of its time. Almost 10 years later, and Destiny is pretty much built around the same framework.
> But the mode came at the cost of another fan favourite mode, which I think is what initially turned fans against it.
>
> The fact that 343 went on to cancel the idea, and move the story over too an arguably ‘lesser’ format, really sealed the casket for a lot of fans, who would then pass over it as a necessary part of the canon. They essential did the reverse of pulling characters from the EU into the games.
>
> If they had stuck to their guns and come out with a second season in 2013, along with some maps and other DLC, it would have shown they were serious about the idea, and fans would have been more onboard with it as a valued ‘entry’ in the story.
> What they accomplished story wise in season 1 felt like a great opening to a progressive story. Heck, if it was still good by season 3 in 2014 (maybe releasing with MCC), they could have gone for a forth season, giving Guardians another year in development.

I agree with this, Spartan Ops had a hell of a lot of potential, but as a new studio manning the helm of the franchise I can understand why they thought they played it safe by cancelling it given the flak they were receiving for it. Classic case of “perhaps we treated you too harshly” years down the road though

> 2533274883893694;9:
> > 2533274810945725;8:
> > As a concept, Spartan Ops was way ahead of its time. Almost 10 years later, and Destiny is pretty much built around the same framework.
> > But the mode came at the cost of another fan favourite mode, which I think is what initially turned fans against it.
> >
> > The fact that 343 went on to cancel the idea, and move the story over too an arguably ‘lesser’ format, really sealed the casket for a lot of fans, who would then pass over it as a necessary part of the canon. They essential did the reverse of pulling characters from the EU into the games.
> >
> > If they had stuck to their guns and come out with a second season in 2013, along with some maps and other DLC, it would have shown they were serious about the idea, and fans would have been more onboard with it as a valued ‘entry’ in the story.
> > What they accomplished story wise in season 1 felt like a great opening to a progressive story. Heck, if it was still good by season 3 in 2014 (maybe releasing with MCC), they could have gone for a forth season, giving Guardians another year in development.
>
> I agree with this, Spartan Ops had a hell of a lot of potential, but as a new studio manning the helm of the franchise I can understand why they thought they played it safe by cancelling it given the flak they were receiving for it. Classic case of “perhaps we treated you too harshly” years down the road though

Absolutely. At least it looks like we’ll be getting a reimagining of Spartan Ops in Infinite, that will hopefully land better than it’s predecessor.