Campaign Co-op Lag

This is a question for the developers, or I suppose anyone with any concrete news on the subject: that is, will CEA have playable co-op with someone on the other side of the world?

I’ve been playing Halo since day one with a good friend of mine, and we’ve continued through each core title. A couple years back I moved across the Atlantic and we continued playing Halo 3 and now Reach. We had no problem playing Halo 3’s campaign despite being 8 timezones away - Reach, however, is unplayable in co-op or Firefight modes, all other elements being equal (actually, not so - we’re now only five time zones apart, and both of our internet connection speeds have been significantly increased - mine by over an order of magnitude).

I know it can be done, so the question is, simply: will CEA’s engine/netcode inherently lag in co-op or not?

> will CEA have playable co-op with someone on the other side of the world?

Yes. This was confirmed in the first trailer. Co op over Xbox Live is exactly how it sounds.

> > will CEA have playable co-op with someone on the other side of the world?
>
> Yes. This was confirmed in the first trailer. Co op over Xbox Live is exactly how it sounds.

I think that with “playable”, Rocklimp actually means “practically lag-free”.

> I think that with “playable”, Rocklimb* actually means “practically lag-free”.

Indeed. My friend and I, with upload speeds of 1.4 and .3 megs, respectively, could play Halo 3 from 5000 miles apart with only minor and occasional hiccups. However, my same friend and I, with uploads of 2.4 and 7 respectively, cannot play Reach’s campaign/firefight from 4000 miles apart without feeling like one of us is on ice skates.

So I ask, which way will CEA go?

343 is doing the co-op online from scratch, so hopefully any lag problems will be nailed out. However, I guess we won’t truly know until the game is released, unfortunately.

If 343 screws this up then HALO 4s netcode MP side might not hav a bright future…

I have the same issue with Reach, Rocklimb. I feel your pain. We’ll know how it performs when it’s out.