call of duty's matchmaking in halo 4 please

In Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo: Reach matchmaking works in the way in which it gathered a bunch of players from all over the world, got into a pregame lobby, then started the match after choosing (the best?) host.

The result? Anywhere from a lag-free game to 200-300 ping, which totally ruins the experience. No one likes trying to stuck a warthog with a plasma grenade only to realize you missed because it took one second for the grenade to actually be thrown, or having a BR duel with someone and even though you started to shoot them two seconds before he started to shoot at you and you hit every shot in his head, he still kills you.

In Call of Duty MW2 and MW3 (haven’t played any other) when you search for games, it searches for the lowest ping first. Starts with <50 ms ping, then <75 ms ping, then <100 ms ping and so on. Every game I play is either <50ms ping or <75ms ping, which is a much more pleasant gaming experience than Halo’s matchmaking where the ping could be anywhere from 0 to 300. If the ping in Halo happens to be 0 (which means I’m host) Americans will have atleast 200 ping since I live halfway across the world.

That’s not a fair game. At all.

I’m not saying host advantage doesn’t exist in CoD, or that CoD is a better game, but playing CoD which lags so much less than Halo makes me kinda sad.

I love Halo, but the randomness of the ping makes me not want to play it… I’m not expecting dedicated servers, just smarter matchmaking like CoD’s.

And if you play unranked in Halo you shouldn’t have to search for new players every time. You should continue playing with the players you played with after the match is over.

Just my two cents.

Sorry if my English sucks, not my first language.

Opinions?

I think the problem’s on your end. I rarely ever have to suffer from latency when I play Halo. And what I have heard about the netcode of CoD, it sucks. Anyhow, Halo, or at least Reach, lags very rarely.

P.S. You don’t have to start a new search after every match, you can just stay in the post-game lobby, but rarely does anyone stay there.

> I think the problem’s on your end. I rarely ever have to suffer from latency when I play Halo. And what I have heard about the netcode of CoD, it sucks. Anyhow, Halo, or at least Reach, lags very rarely.
>
> P.S. You don’t have to start a new search after every match, you can just stay in the post-game lobby, but rarely does anyone stay there.

“Every game I play is either <50ms ping or <75ms ping”

The problem is not on my end.

The problem is matching Europeans with Americans and not checking the ping of the players until the game has started.

I’ve never experienced any kind of latency that makes me wish for a COD system. My friends are mostly european and we have great games without any noticeable lag unless someone quits or starts screwing around. No thanks.

> > I think the problem’s on your end. I rarely ever have to suffer from latency when I play Halo. And what I have heard about the netcode of CoD, it sucks. Anyhow, Halo, or at least Reach, lags very rarely.
> >
> > P.S. You don’t have to start a new search after every match, you can just stay in the post-game lobby, but rarely does anyone stay there.
>
> The problem is matching Europeans with Americans and not checking the ping of the players until the game has started.

I am so SO baffled by this. I play with my American friends ALL the time and very, very rarely run into problems.

> > I think the problem’s on your end. I rarely ever have to suffer from latency when I play Halo. And what I have heard about the netcode of CoD, it sucks. Anyhow, Halo, or at least Reach, lags very rarely.
> >
> > P.S. You don’t have to start a new search after every match, you can just stay in the post-game lobby, but rarely does anyone stay there.
>
> “Every game I play is either <50ms ping or <75ms ping”
>
> The problem is not on my end.
>
> The problem is matching Europeans with Americans and not checking the ping of the players until the game has started.

how do you even know what to ping is to the host?

halo chooses the person with the best connection to everyone else in the game, having europeans changings who gets host but the over quality of the connection is generally better for everyone then a select few people. if the hosts connection deteriates then it chooses someone else to try and maintain the good connection.

btw, i’m europian and palying CoD is a pain in the -Yoink- for me because of the huge amount of lagg.

I agree with the OP, in the sense that it should prefer players locale (generally means less lag), as it is inevitable that if an Australian is in a game with a US host, he will almost certainly be yellow bar connection, after all internet signal travels at a finite speed.

> >
>
>
>

I’m an European and I remember very few ocassions when I have been matched with Americans. Even then, I rarely ever experience lag when I play Halo these days.

In CoD you most likely get better matches simply because the player base is larger. Therefore the game has a larger pool of players near you to match you with. Whatever it is, one thing Reach succeeded at is the connection quality, never have I played a game with such a great p2p netcode.

Wow.

Are you honestly saying that playing with around 200ms doesnt make a difference?

OK

> Wow.
>
> Are you honestly saying that playing with around 200ms doesnt make a difference?
>
> OK

how exactly are you checking the ping?
i’ve checked my max ping to america and it game at 200 but averaged around 150 for me, but, i cannot say for certain what the ping is in game and because of how reach’s netcode is done it makes little difference because if i hit the person on my screen then i hit him, though, i do get a fare amount of bloodshots it is at a minimal when compared to CoD.

in reach, playing on american hosts, i hit 8 out of 10 shots register roughly, in CoD, it’s more 3 out of 10.

> Wow.
>
> Are you honestly saying that playing with around 200ms doesnt make a difference?
>
> OK

In fact, it doesn’t thanks of the netcode. The maximum ping for a smooth long range encounter in Reach is 300 ms and 200 ms for close range encounters. Going over 300 is where it starts to be problematic.

Besides, I can easily pull well under 200 ms to east coast of USA, and about 200 to west coast. The distance is about 5,000-10,000 kilometers.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

> > Obvious troll post is obvious.
>
> Obvious ignorant kid is obvious when they tell me 200 ms dont change the game

Completely depends on the game. In CoD it might, in previous Halo games it might, but in Reach it doesn’t. As I said, the games needs a latency above 300 ms to actually become unenjoyable. And as I said, that shouldn’t be a huge problem for you if you have a good connection as at least I can get a ping under 200 ms to anywhere in USA. And I could bet I live further from the country than you.

300 ms? Enjoying fighting the host or trying to stuck a grenade.

> >
>
>
>

So what you want 343 to do is stop pairing American users with people from countries like mine?

That’s fine with me…I prefer not to get yelled at by violent bigoted people anyway.

I almost never lag on Halo.

In my opinion I prefer Halo’s fast times. Halo’s lag is rarely noticeable (other than Sniper shots not registering occasionally but that’s online gameplay for you)

Unless it’s a really bad host, for example in BTB then you can notice it. But most of the time the lag is rarely visible, other than when mutual kills occur.

In CoD however, get a North American host (I’m European) and you’re stuck on a 3 out of 4 bar connection (or whatever it is in MW3) and at such a disadvantage due to lag you’re virtually handicapping your reaction times. Though you can point out that it’s a twitch-based shooter there’s no doubt in my opinion latency affects CoD much more than Halo.

> 300 ms? Enjoying fighting the host or trying to stuck a grenade.

First of all, read this, or at least the slide 84 that has the chart on it. The chart shows that in regular gameplay scenarios, 200 ms is the maximum latency for CQC scenarios and 300 ms for ranged scenarios. You have to understand that most of your problems are probably problems on your end, not the host’s. I know, because I had the exact same problem before I improved my connection quality.

But seriously, aside from the chart, I recommend you to read the whole presentation. It explains a lot about the networking of Reach and how lag proof it actually is. Bungie has one of the industry leading solutions for p2p networking, that’s why I count on the problem being on your end or you just ahving extremely bad luck.

I find Halo less laggy than CoD. I play CoD, zombies especially, and the lag is annoying sometimes. I run forward, it warps me back, I keep running forward, I keep getting warped back because of lag. It happens occasionally for me in Halo, but definetly not as much as CoD. I just wish that those chosen to be host don’t quit, because I hate the minute long black screen when hosts quit.