Call of Duty 4: Halo Edition?

One of the biggest problems I’ve had with Halo 4 multiplayer so far is the lack of the true Halo multiplayer. What I mean by this is how Halo was before this

  • Everyone started with the same weapons
  • Players needed to find and pick up stronger weapons around the map
  • The only power ups were overshield and active camo
  • The weapons needed to be mastered to be good
  • No Kill Cams

These, along with other small things, made Halo have a unique multiplayer. Now, the multiplayer has many Call of Duty like features. If I wanted Call of Duty, I would have bought that game instead. However, I wanted to play Halo, but I was greatly disappointed.

The loadout system in reach was decent and made sense. Maybe a variation where the player can choose only the primary unsc weapons and armor ability would have been nice. The new loadouts allow for choosing the Halo version of Call of Duty perks, which is quite lame and generic. Halo used to be balanced where players needed to master weapons to become good. Now, the perks and weapons do that for them.

This leads to my second key point, the unbalanced gameplay. The DMR and BR have such a ridiculous range that snipers do not have a long distance advantage anymore. This is odd, since a sniper was designed to win a long range battle. The range on these weapons is absolutely radical. Players can easily kill opponents across the map, with a weapon that should not have these capabilities. Then, when a player gets a certain amount of kills a “care package” is dropped to receive a better weapon. These weapons tend to be insanely better than anything on the map, thus the player that gets one first will continue to slaughter his opponents. Also, included in the “care package,” is the option for a speed, damage, overshield, and some others possibly (I am not sure if there are any others). The overshield has been in the game for a while, but speed boost and damage boost? Since when was that part of the Halo universe? These just further the gap between a balanced game and allow for a clean victory to the first person that just so happens to get the lead.
Also, the addition of “Kill Cams” is completely absurd. This classic Call of Duty concept ruined the multiplayer experience for Halo as soon as I saw my first one. Why would this be in Halo? It wasn’t before and certainly does not have a place in the universe so why now? Also, the spawning after the moronic “Kill Cam” is not the same. Players do not have to wait a few seconds as in the previous games (in the slayer game mode at least). This is bad considering the spawn time made the game slower paced and made dying seem more tragic. Now players can just continue to run in, die, spawn instantly, and then run straight back to the person for revenge. Furthermore, the sensor is different too. The sensor has this weird ability to sense people out of the scanning radius and display them as an arrow around the sensor. This is dumb and annoying because it just furthers the range of the sensor and makes sneaking up on people harder. Clearly, they were not intending to make this game for tactics and rather for the barbaric, tunnel-visioned, monotonous gameplay of Call of Duty.
Finally, the game is faster paced much like a Call of Duty game. Where instead of just teamwork and thought, players are coerced into running in guns blazing hoping that the will see a player first for a kill. Then, getting the kill is easier than ever, since the guns are even more powerful and accurate than before. The health seems to be taken out faster so players that could, in halo 3, turn around and out shoot someone, because they were better, have to die because the shield are taken out far too quickly. The game used to be about flanking, grenade placement, and basic tactics, but now the Call of Duty virus infiltrated the Halo multiplayer and has begun the desecration to the once brilliant and fun multiplayer.

Halo was my favorite game. The franchise was amazing and every game seemed to be better or equal to the others. Now, the game has been twisted by the completely idiotic concept that Call of Duty offers a good multiplayer experience so Halo needed to copy it. What they didn’t realize is, if they would have worked on making Halo better rather than changing it to something it should never be, then they would have been better off. “If you cannot innovate, imitate,” is not a good motto for anyone. I really hope in Halo 5, they decide to return the multiplayer to what it once was. After reading all of this, please do not think I do not see any of the good parts of Halo 4. I do like some things about it, but these are major issues that need to be addressed in the next game.

Dude I appreciate your concern, so may I direct you to the Slayer Pro a playlist for complainers such as yourself. OR you don’t play Halo 4, dust of your copy of Halo 3 and leave the forms alone.

  • Miles

Oh boy, another one of these posts…

Right, let’s do this point by point, shall we?

  1. Everyone still starts with the same weapons. At least, they start with similar choices. I, personally, don’t like the BR or the Magnum, so instead I use the AR and DMR, along with a plasma pistol as backup. People seem to have somehow forgetten that there were entire playlists in Reach where the DMR was the default weapon, and it hasn’t become some sort of godmode in the meantime.

  2. Yes, weapon spawns used to be on the map. Some still are. HOWEVER, this lead to the oh-so-fun eventuality of weapon-camping. It was entirely feasible for one team to end up with ALL the power weapons, such as the Rocket launcher, shotgun and sniper. And, guess what? No matter how good a player you were, if you were stuck on the other team it bloody sucked. There is nothing fun whatsoever about being repeatedly killed because you can’t move without getting a power weapon to the face.

Now, if you can get some kills, or save some from earlier, you can spawn your own weapon or powerup. This way, no one team can camp and repeatedly get the power weapons. Meaning that, if you have a skillful team and are a good player, you’re not going to unjustly lose because some little frag-monkey keeps -Yoink!- the rockets.

3)Uh…And? Active camo is now an AA, overshield is still there, speed boost is literally just that and is easily beatable if you have half a clue what you’re doing, and damage boost is potent as hell but doesn’t last that long. It also does nothing if you’re a noob who can’t hit anything. Again, what problem is there here that can’ be countered with skill and adaption?

4)Oh strewth…are you just looking through rose tinted glasses here? This is STILL true, it has ALWAYS been true and WILL always be true. The Rockets, the Sniper, the Sword, the Shotgun; NONE of them are any good if they are used by some little twerp who has no clue to play. Anyone who DOES will invariably get good results. Like they did in Halo CE, Halo 2, 3 and Reach. This is just making stuff up now.

5)Eh. I tend to skip them. They can be a little annoying, but I don’t see how they ‘ruin the game’. Sometimes I wonder how in seven hells I got killed by someone I didn’t even see. Cams can show if they were just a jammy little turd or whether I was being a moron without noticing. Either way, CoD wasn’t the game that magically invented killcams, and Halo sure won’t be the last to adopt them.

So. Your point?

Mate the changes are minor and for halo to keep up with many of the newer multiplayer games it has to change a few features but many of the core properties are still around it is just for halo to allow users from these other games to feel they know the system and allow them to navigate the menus with ease this also provides us with more people to verse.

Right? This is like if COD went all Halo-like! Of course the fanbase is mad! RAWRRRRRRRRRRRR I WANT CLASSIC HALO!!! -snip-

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content. This includes leaked content, real or fake. and that includes campaign spoilers, real or fake.

>

Not sure if trolling or too thick to realise when SPOILERS should be used.

I fail to see how any of your points are actual problems, as opposed to just changes to the series that you don’t like. Change is a good thing, especially in the halo series. Reach was basically a Halo 3 clone with armor abilities… so this is exactly what needed to happen.

And it’s nothing like call of duty. Just because some elements are the same or similar doesn’t mean it’s suddenly a sci-fi COD. It’s still solidly in the Halo universe.

i guess theres a certain irony in the fact that the threads accusing halo 4 of being derivative are getting increasingly more derivative if each other

> >
>
> Not sure if trolling or too thick to realise when SPOILERS should be used.

ohh please, I didn’t even finish the campaign and I know things. Looks at all the titles like the ones I shouldn’t have listed! It’s obvious

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content. This includes leaked content, real or fake. and that includes campaign spoilers, real or fake.

I’m gonna reply to this how you stupid Reach kids always replied to complaints about Reach: adapt. Halo 4 is infinitely better than Reach. Any bugs or balance issues will be ironed out because 343 actually cares, so be patient. Although most of your points are stupid nitpicking, casual viewpoints, and comparisons to a game that is absolutely nothing like Halo.

Yes, threads which are breaking 343s rules of no spoilers, which should be reported for being so stupidly made in the first place.

You=/=every other Halo player. Some people won’t know. There’s no need to be a jerkbag about it.

I hate how when someone like this speaks his personal opinion everyone flames him and makes fun of him, what the hell? Anyway, I agree if they wanted to do this to Halo mp then why did 343 not do it in just a set playlists instead of everything. Even slayer pro has killcams and instant respawn. Something I don;t understand though is that for hardcore, long term halo fans, 343 said there would be a set of classic playlists which would be classic halo. Where is it? Did they lie?

People actually play FPS for the storyline?

Back on topic. At first I would have agreed with the OP, it def did go a little COD on us. But after playing it for a few days now, I love it. Sure there are some things I don’t like, the new menu for multiplayer being the most glaring. But all in all I’d say it’s a great game. As for the loadouts, meh, it’s not like you’re getting rocket launchers and -Yoink- from the start, the weapons are a pretty good balance no matter what you choose.

> Yes, threads which are breaking 343s rules of no spoilers, which should be reported for being so stupidly made in the first place.
>
> You=/=every other Halo player. Some people won’t know. There’s no need to be a jerkbag about it.

Not trying to be a jerk but it’s painfully obvious. Edited my posts anyways.

> I hate how when someone like this speaks his personal opinion everyone flames him and makes fun of him

Well when the people are saying the game is dead before the first update it shows what little faith these so called supporters of the halo universe have

kill cams skipped by pressing x

this inst like cod since there is no hiding or camping now that Promethian vision is in

the game isnt 1 shot kills, and 1v1 encounters are very fast yet require loads of skill

> encounters are very fast yet require loads of skill

in summary not Call Of Duty

> Oh boy, another one of these posts…
>
> Right, let’s do this point by point, shall we?
>
> 1) Everyone still starts with the same weapons. At least, they start with similar choices. I, personally, don’t like the BR or the Magnum, so instead I use the AR and DMR, along with a plasma pistol as backup. People seem to have somehow forgetten that there were entire playlists in Reach where the DMR was the default weapon, and it hasn’t become some sort of godmode in the meantime.
>
> 2) Yes, weapon spawns used to be on the map. Some still are. HOWEVER, this lead to the oh-so-fun eventuality of weapon-camping. It was entirely feasible for one team to end up with ALL the power weapons, such as the Rocket launcher, shotgun and sniper. And, guess what? No matter how good a player you were, if you were stuck on the other team it bloody sucked. There is nothing fun whatsoever about being repeatedly killed because you can’t move without getting a power weapon to the face.
>
> Now, if you can get some kills, or save some from earlier, you can spawn your own weapon or powerup. This way, no one team can camp and repeatedly get the power weapons. Meaning that, if you have a skillful team and are a good player, you’re not going to unjustly lose because some little frag-monkey keeps -Yoink!- the rockets.
>
> 3)Uh…And? Active camo is now an AA, overshield is still there, speed boost is literally just that and is easily beatable if you have half a clue what you’re doing, and damage boost is potent as hell but doesn’t last that long. It also does nothing if you’re a noob who can’t hit anything. Again, what problem is there here that can’ be countered with skill and adaption?
>
> 4)Oh strewth…are you just looking through rose tinted glasses here? This is STILL true, it has ALWAYS been true and WILL always be true. The Rockets, the Sniper, the Sword, the Shotgun; NONE of them are any good if they are used by some little twerp who has no clue to play. Anyone who DOES will invariably get good results. Like they did in Halo CE, Halo 2, 3 and Reach. This is just making stuff up now.
>
> 5)Eh. I tend to skip them. They can be a little annoying, but I don’t see how they ‘ruin the game’. Sometimes I wonder how in seven hells I got killed by someone I didn’t even see. Cams can show if they were just a jammy little turd or whether I was being a moron without noticing. Either way, CoD wasn’t the game that magically invented killcams, and Halo sure won’t be the last to adopt them.
>
>
> So. Your point?

And we have a winner!

The better team always wins so what’s the complaining about? All of your points are taken extremely out of context anyways.

The game does play a little like CoD, and a ton of people agree with this. Yes it does still feel like Halo, UNDER all these add-ons and perks taken from CoD. Do they work well in the sandbox? Yes, they do; but if the series is leaning this way already, what’s Halo 5 going to be like? Halo 6? 7? 8? 9?

This is what happened with Reach. People wanted to love it so much and were only biased.
We have a right to want a purely Halo experience.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a GREAT game, 10/10, but you people need to be more concerned, OP has legitimate points here.

This just isn’t Halo.

EDIT**

I mean think about it:
Halo CE was a great game, followed by a sequel, Halo 2. And they were both good games. Why? What was added to Halo 2 to make it a new experience, but still be Halo?
Storyline, Vehicles, New Weapons, New Enemies (Drones, Jackal Snipers), New capabilities (Dual Wielding, Boarding). Changes that ADD on to the experience rather than CHANGING it. Same for Halo 3. What was added to make it a better experience, but still Halo?
You could rip of turrets, They added Forge mode, again, a new campaign that moved to story forward, better customization, MORE weapons and Vehicles.

Reach added The Revenant, Firefight (Which 343i should not have removed - Spartan Ops is not a sufficient replacement), even BETTER customization, Space fights ( Sabre) Which were also included into halo 4’s Campaign , an Improved forge mode, Female models - heck, Halo Reach might have been the biggest step up for the Halo series.
The only step in the wrong direction were AA’s that didn’t work in the sandbox. They would have been an amazing addition if they worked with the sandbox, but they didn’t. And these AA’s from Reach (as well as trying to cater to a larger fan base, which is fine) are what inspired 343i to add “perks” and AA’s into Halo 4. But they worked this time. Though, as I said before, it just doesn’t feel like Halo for a lot of us.