Button Layout Megathread!

Button Layouts in Halo 4

So as we all know, there has been a lot of controversy following the information about Button layouts in Halo 4. Many who use Bumper Jumper seem satisfied, but those who use other layouts have been worried. The most controversial subject might be the Recon layout.

Strife

As mentioned, many have been less than satisfied with certain layouts. Others proclaim that they couldn’t be more happy with them. There seems to be a slight conflict between the two. This arises, perhaps because different players have different playstyles, and different playstyles fit better with certain buttons in the right place. Or it might just be a matter of what people are used to.

Custom button mapping

Some have suggested that Halo 4 could have an option for custom button mapping, essentially allowing players to create their own layout. Unfortunately, 343 Industries has long since declined the possibility of this feature due to technical problems. It is impossible for them to foresee the potential glitches and bugs associated with each individualized controller scheme, so no fix here.
Edit: Here is a related statement from Frank O’Connor from neogaf: Link.
Edit2: Another statement from Frankie: Link

Recon

Recon was a button layout added to Halo: Reach to accommodate for players used to the Halo 3 layout where Action/Reload was mapped to the Right Bumper. Therefore, it might in Halo 4 have seemed appropriate to keep the Action/reload on the Right Bumper, as it would fit the tradition. However, this comes at the expense of placing the sprint function on the (X) button, something that many players feel is suboptimal. It would seem disadvantageous to these players having to toggle sprint rather than to hold a button down for the duration of the sprint. One could also point out that the most traditional layout, might have (X) as the Action/Reload, having been the norm since Halo: Combat Evolved.

Changing the layout(s)

However, there are players who want to keep recon as it is, which is why we are having this discussion in the first place. Ergo, we cannot simply edit the Recon layout by switching the Action/reload and Sprint, because that would be stepping on someone else’s toes instead.

Adding more layouts

One option that doesn’t seem too far out of reach, would be to create additional button layouts. You would let both sides have what they wanted. If adding additional layouts might be difficult within the current time frame, it might still be possible to create a release day title update between now and then.

Having seen the threads made recently, it seems this is a very popular concept.
(picture submitted by SUB JANI)

Further discussion

How would you feel about an additional button layout or two, and is there one you would like to see other than the one mentioned?

Thank you.

The more button layouts the better.

I’m confused on the default layout… they should put crouch on the left stick and sprint on B. Really deters me from using the default layout ever again, i’m sticking with BJ.

> The more button layouts the better.

> The more button layouts the better.

Yes. To a certain degree, and I do not see why they couldn’t add more. One new layout is not enough. Especially when its just a COD lookalike.

> Custom button mapping
>
> Some have suggested that Halo 4 could have an option for custom button mapping, essentially allowing players to create their own layout. Unfortunately, 343 Industries has long since declined the possibility of this feature due to technical problems. It is impossible for them to foresee the potential glitches and bugs associated with each individualized controller scheme, so no fix here.

I don’t buy the argument that custom mapping would cause technical problems. As long as shooting is always on a trigger button (to ensure everyone has to “push” as much to get shots off), I don’t see how allowing us to map the rest of the controller would create any problems. Maybe someone can enlighten me…

> > Custom button mapping
> >
> > Some have suggested that Halo 4 could have an option for custom button mapping, essentially allowing players to create their own layout. Unfortunately, 343 Industries has long since declined the possibility of this feature due to technical problems. It is impossible for them to foresee the potential glitches and bugs associated with each individualized controller scheme, so no fix here.
>
> I don’t buy the argument that custom mapping would cause technical problems. As long as shooting is always on a trigger button (to ensure everyone has to “push” as much to get shots off), I don’t see how allowing us to map the rest of the controller would create any problems. Maybe someone can enlighten me…

Allow me to clarify what I meant.
The “argument” as you call it, is not that custom mapping causes technical problems, but that technical problems make custom mapping impossible.
In previous halo games, there have been certain glitches and bugs that came with certain button layouts. Some players have taken advantage of these glitches against other players. Therefore, 343 is trying their best to avoid letting such glitches exist in the game.
Because of the technology they are using, they have to test every layout for glitches and bugs. If you enabled button mapping, there would simply be too many possible layouts and they wouldn’t be able to properly test all of them.

Here is a statement from Frank O’Connor from neogaf. Link

I’d like to mention that I do not speak on 343’s behalf, and I might not agree with them.

I have to adjust no matter what, I’m not using anything other than Default and Bumper Jumper (I need melee on a bumper) and I either have to get used to jumping with the bumper, sprinting with A, and AAing with X, or use Default and get used to crouching with B and sprinting with the stick :stuck_out_tongue:

I wish they had a control Scheme similar to Reach’s Default or Halo 3’s Walkie Talkie

I’ll probably beusing Recon, like I have been in Reach.

I don’t think the recon layout will be too bad. I heard sprint was toggled, so X as Sprint shouldn’t be too bad.

> > > Allow me to clarify what I meant.
> > > The “argument” as you call it, is not that custom mapping causes technical problems, but that technical problems make custom mapping impossible.
> > > In previous halo games, there have been certain glitches and bugs that came with certain button layouts. Some players have taken advantage of these glitches against other players. Therefore, 343 is trying their best to avoid letting such glitches exist in the game.
> > > Because of the technology they are using, they have to test every layout for glitches and bugs. If you enabled button mapping, there would simply be too many possible layouts and they wouldn’t be able to properly test all of them.
> > >
> > > I’d like to mention that I do not speak on 343’s behalf, and I might not agree with them.
> >
> > If movement, look and shooting remain unchangeable, but the rest of the actions can be mapped, I still just don’t see how any other combinations could lead to glitches or any other problems. What glitches were there with button layouts in previous Halo games?

I use Recon and I think sprint should go with the left joystick click. Crouch would use X or right bumper. I also use legacy and hopefully they will still have that option.

> > > > Allow me to clarify what I meant.
> > > > The “argument” as you call it, is not that custom mapping causes technical problems, but that technical problems make custom mapping impossible.
> > > > In previous halo games, there have been certain glitches and bugs that came with certain button layouts. Some players have taken advantage of these glitches against other players. Therefore, 343 is trying their best to avoid letting such glitches exist in the game.
> > > > Because of the technology they are using, they have to test every layout for glitches and bugs. If you enabled button mapping, there would simply be too many possible layouts and they wouldn’t be able to properly test all of them.
> > > >
> > > > I’d like to mention that I do not speak on 343’s behalf, and I might not agree with them.
> > >
> > > If movement, look and shooting remain unchangeable, but the rest of the actions can be mapped, I still just don’t see how any other combinations could lead to glitches or any other problems. What glitches were there with button layouts in previous Halo games?
> >
> > Off the top of my mind there’s BXR and thats just a small glitch, there might be game-ending, blackscreen-summoning glitches. Also, as I said, I’m not defending 343, but the decision to exclude button mapping seems final. :sadface: We need to push for additional layouts instead.

> Button Layouts in Halo 4
>
> So as we all know, there has been a lot of controversy following the information about Button layouts in Halo 4. Many who use Bumper Jumper seem satisfied, but those who use other layouts have been worried. The most controversial subject might be the Recon layout.
>
> Strife
>
> As mentioned, many have been less than satisfied with certain layouts. Others proclaim that they couldn’t be more happy with them. There seems to be a slight conflict between the two. This arises, perhaps because different players have different playstyles, and different playstyles fit better with certain buttons in the right place. Or it might just be a matter of what people are used to.
>
> Custom button mapping
>
> Some have suggested that Halo 4 could have an option for custom button mapping, essentially allowing players to create their own layout. Unfortunately, 343 Industries has long since declined the possibility of this feature due to technical problems. It is impossible for them to foresee the potential glitches and bugs associated with each individualized controller scheme, so no fix here.
> Edit: Here is a related statement from Frank O’Connor from neogaf: Link.
>
> Recon
>
> Recon was a button layout added to Halo: Reach to accommodate for players used to the Halo 3 layout where Action/Reload was mapped to the Right Bumper. Therefore, it might in Halo 4 have seemed appropriate to keep the Action/reload on the Right Bumper, as it would fit the tradition. However, this comes at the expense of placing the sprint function on the (X) button, something that many players feel is suboptimal. It would seem disadvantageous to these players having to toggle sprint rather than to hold a button down for the duration of the sprint. One could also point out that the most traditional layout, might have (X) as the Action/Reload, having been the norm since Halo: Combat Evolved.
>
> Changing the layout(s)
>
> However, there are players who want to keep recon as it is, which is why we are having this discussion in the first place. Ergo, we cannot simply edit the Recon layout by switching the Action/reload and Sprint, because that would be stepping on someone else’s toes instead.
>
> Adding more layouts
>
> One option that doesn’t seem too far out of reach, would be to create additional button layouts. You would let both sides have what they wanted.
> Having seen the threads made recently, it seems this is a very popular concept.
> (picture submitted by SUB JANI)
>
> Further discussion
>
> How would you feel about an additional button layout or two, and is there one you would like to see other than the one mentioned?
>
> Thank you.

Thx for including my layout, I really hope 343 will implement it, Halo 4 would be so much more convinient!

> Thx for including my layout, I really hope 343 will implement it, Halo 4 would be so much more convinient!

Thanks for making it! I hope you keep the image up so more people can see it!

I’m kind of liking the Recon layout.

If what people are saying is true, then Sprint is toggled, which is good because it would be awkward to hold down the X button like that.

> Button Layouts in Halo 4
> One option that doesn’t seem too far out of reach, would be to create additional button layouts. You would let both sides have what they wanted.
> Having seen the threads made recently, it seems <mark>this</mark> is a very popular concept.
> (picture submitted by SUB JANI)

Genius. I love this scheme. 343 plz add it plz.

> I’m kind of liking the Recon layout.
>
> If what people are saying is true, then Sprint is toggled, which is good because it would be awkward to hold down the X button like that.

Yes, it has become apparent that sprint is a toggle-button. It has to be. Still many people, myself included, feel that this is a disadvantageous setup. Not only must you take the thumb off to hit the button, you also have less control over the duration of the sprint. (or at least your movement is slightly hindered).

It should not be too difficult to add another layout.

I’m just glad RECON is back. I’ve been playing that button layout since it was the default layout in Halo 3. No reason to switch now. I’ve become quite accustomed to it. Some minor changes to it, but not enough that I can’t adjust quickly.

> Yes, it has become apparent that sprint is a toggle-button. It has to be. Still many people, myself included, feel that this is a disadvantageous setup. Not only must you take the thumb off to hit the button, you also have less control over the duration of the sprint. (or at least your movement is slightly hindered).

The duration of the sprint is controlled by your left stick, same as Reach, try it out. Sprint is toggle in Reach, regardless of whether you hold the button down, you come out of sprint using your left stick (unless of course you exhaust your sprint. )

This really is a NON issue, people please try it out on Reach.

> > Button Layouts in Halo 4
> > One option that doesn’t seem too far out of reach, would be to create additional button layouts. You would let both sides have what they wanted.
> > Having seen the threads made recently, it seems <mark>this</mark> is a very popular concept.
> > (picture submitted by SUB JANI)
>
> Genius. I love this scheme. 343 plz add it plz.

Lol thx.