Button Combo's in Halo 4?

Before I begin I wasn’t around for the “good ol’ days of halo (halo 2)”. I did play at a friends house but I didn’t have my own account. I have however played every Halo to date.

To the point: button combo’s were loved by a majority of MLG and or really competetive players, I’m not sure how much of the community actually liked them but I wasn’t really on board.

When I discovered them (when my buddy told me about them), I thought cool, I can do stuff quicker. However I often found myself more trying to get these combo’s down than actaully play the game (I could only get down BXB which was pretty simple). This would often lead me to do worse than if I tried to play the game normally, just shooting, punching and nades.

I never really gave them their chance though, maybe if I learned to use them I would have liked them more, I would like to know this communities opinion of whether or not button combo’s should be integrated into Halo 4 or if they would just break how the game is played.

The only problem I see with button combo’s is modded controllers, but I would think that those would be relatively easy to find and ban.

Please politely discuss your opinions, this isn’t the B.net Reach forums.

Haha my eyes lit up when i saw your topic.

My opinion would be biased. As I had one of the best an fastest Quads in Halo 2, so of course i would love to see them to return. I have so many memories with it. Believe me or not, its your choice.

They were a glitch in the game, but as you said did take skill to master. A lot of time an practice went into them to be able to use them effectively an efficiently. Most players weren’t even that good with them but had an advantage over those who didn’t do them or didn’t know how. Although after a while they became a clear part of playing Halo 2. Most players i would assume did not like them and do not want them back though.

As for the controller issue, my quad was far superior then any controller that was out in those days. Most controllers had a slow YY for quading, which a fast YY (along with aim and efficiency) separated a good quad from a bad quad.

Of course a controller never failed and didn’t need to warm up. When i was warmed up i rarely failed though, which is why most people just assumed i had a controller because of me almost never failing to pull one off, my aim i had with it and the speed of it (even though they didn’t know i had to go through 1-3 hours in a custom to warm up everyday).

Online controllers don’t matter, as the people who buy them an use them only care for online rep and online rank. They would never be able to use a modded controller at a local tournament or MLG event, if they thought they even had a chance to come close to winning without their controller. So banning someone for being good or using a modded controller shouldn’t exist online. The sheer humiliation they would get online if they ever were proven to using a modded controller would be punishment enough, in my eyes at least.

In short i would love to see them return, but they probably wont ever return as i assume most of the community doesn’t like them.

“Halo: Streetfighter”

How about they don’t? Button combos were never intended, and broke gameplay. I’m surprised I don’t see them more in Halo 2 Vista.

I saw someone on the MLG forums quote Dmaq and someone else where they stated to have seen, heard about, and or played the game. They mentioned the return of button combos, classic favorite Halo multiplayer maps, and something that everybody would love.

Honestly, even though I wasn’t around for the entirety of the Halo 2 era, I thought the glitches were great.

They took time and practice to be able to do, let alone master.
They increased the skill gap by a lot.
They made it so you couldn’t freak out during BR battles and had to stay cool and collected - otherwise you’d fail at the combo
They added interest in watching the game play. People made amazing comebacks even when the other person had first shot.
They made it so that the more skilled player won.
They made the game exciting.

They like the glitches in Super Smash Bros. Melee. And those were great as well.

Absolutely not. Let’s make this a shooter, not who can use the “I win” code faster.

As much as they were loved back then by the pros…The casual/average players really felt they were unfair exploits…And they kinda were. Halo is not Mortal Kombat, and gunplay should be fair and balanced for all players, not dependent on how fast you can push some buttons, and sometimes, whether your connection is good or not.

There are also disabled gamers out there who can play Halo, but they probably can’t move their fingers fast enough to do complex button combos…Or ever really play the game competitively. Halo has to be accessible to more than just pros and people with incredibly gifted reflexes.

I could see button combos being really cool for Halo 4, but I doubt they would put it on the main weapon to shoot faster because, lets face it, they don’t actually make any sense at all lol.

Now I do think that BXR would be nice to make a comeback, but not the way it works in Reach, it is so slow, and the time frame for the combo is too small to hit consistently.

I would love a button combo for reload that made your first shot have like 1 and 1/4 power or something like that, little combos that seem insignificant, but really affect the higher levels of gameplay.

P.S. Also, make them part of the intentional gameplay lol. I love how they were an accident but Bungie wouldn’t remove them because I think that deep down, it was just what they wanted to begin with.

Lets break this down.

1.) if they are implemented it should be on purpose, with instructional videos so no-one is left in the dark.

2.) they factually add skill gap (more skill gap was added with the double shot and BXB esque mechanics than any other mechanic change in the history of halo)

3.) they add depth.

4.) it wouldnt be a problem for lesser skilled people because lesser skilled people should get paired up with other lesser skilled people (their skill level). what this means is, good players wont be double shotting people who cant double shot because they wont get matched up together.

5.) they are risk VS reward where the risk and the reward is entirely in your hands (meaning if you dont want to take the risk you simply dont do them).

6.) they add a MASSIVE amount of reward because they were hard / skill intensive to pull them off.

when players first saw the double shot in halo 2 they thought ‘wow, thats sick!’ some of them would cry about it being cheating, or haxxing, and never even give them a chance to see what they would add to the game. when these players who thought they were cool would try to learn them, they would see how hard (especially double shotting) they were, so they would be able to fully appreciate the skill involved / needed / and the practice required to make them reliable enough to remove the risk. when a player who started off not knowing the mechanics of double shotting eventually learned double shotting, then eventually he put it into practice by killing someone he would feel an AMAZING amount of adrenaline, and an IMMENSE amount of satisfaction and reward for having done something so skill-intensive, seeing his hard work and dedication paying off first hand.

in conclusion, button combinations were the primary reason, in my opinion, why the games halo 1, and halo 2 are widely seen as the best halo games to have ever graced the xbox. the MASSIVE amount of skill gap they added will probably never be seen reproduced in another halo game. its unfortunate, but i really doubt we’ll see their inclusion in any subsequent halo releases.

god forbid we give more power to individual players, that would just be awful right? lol…

> Halo has to be accessible to more than just pros and people with incredibly gifted reflexes.

i really dont see this as a problem time glitch, as these players shouldnt play against each other in the first place.

Put it in RANKED ONLY.

Keep it out of social.

Optional for customs.

Do it 343. Do it.

As someone who never played Halo 2 but heard many good things about it, I’m sort of torn. They were glitches in gameplay to kill faster, which I sort of don’t like the idea of, but at the same time it took skill to master it adding more to the gameplay which I do like.

Maybe if they returned intentionally but modified a little, and maybe like the other idea said of it being in ranked but not in social.

> As someone who never played Halo 2 but heard many good things about it, I’m sort of torn. They were glitches in gameplay to kill faster, which I sort of don’t like the idea of, but at the same time it took skill to master it adding more to the gameplay which I do like.
>
> Maybe if they returned intentionally but modified a little, and maybe like the other idea said of it being in ranked but not in social.

i can remove your doubt.

do you like being limited in getting only double kills (MAYBE lol), or would you rather be able to be SO AMAZING and GO CLUTCH and be able to kill countless enemies by being incredible?

or how about this question: do you like feeling amazing amounts of adrenaline and EXTREME amounts of satisfaction?

or this one:

do you like being separated from your every day halo player, or do you like being on even terms with them simply because the skill gap is massively reduced? lol

> > As someone who never played Halo 2 but heard many good things about it, I’m sort of torn. They were glitches in gameplay to kill faster, which I sort of don’t like the idea of, but at the same time it took skill to master it adding more to the gameplay which I do like.
> >
> > Maybe if they returned intentionally but modified a little, and maybe like the other idea said of it being in ranked but not in social.
>
> i can remove your doubt.
>
> do you like being limited in getting only double kills (MAYBE lol), or would you rather be able to be SO AMAZING and GO CLUTCH and be able to kill countless enemies by being incredible?
>
> or how about this question: do you like feeling amazing amounts of adrenaline and EXTREME amounts of satisfaction?
>
> or this one:
>
> do you like being separated from your every day halo player, or do you like being on even terms with them simply because the skill gap is massively reduced? lol

I am doubting I’d be able to do that even if I mastered them, but I guess that helps settle it :stuck_out_tongue:

i sent a thing like this to bungie in the pre-H3 days. I thought it would be an interesting and new gameplay mechanic in an fps. they wouldn’t be nearly as powerful as they would’ve been in H2, but the addition of button combos to create new types of moves or something like in fighting games would be quite an interesting thing to be able to do and I would imagine that it would really separate skilled players from non-skilled players, which seems to be a big problem with a lot of ppl

> > > As someone who never played Halo 2 but heard many good things about it, I’m sort of torn. They were glitches in gameplay to kill faster, which I sort of don’t like the idea of, but at the same time it took skill to master it adding more to the gameplay which I do like.
> > >
> > > Maybe if they returned intentionally but modified a little, and maybe like the other idea said of it being in ranked but not in social.
> >
> > i can remove your doubt.
> >
> > do you like being limited in getting only double kills (MAYBE lol), or would you rather be able to be SO AMAZING and GO CLUTCH and be able to kill countless enemies by being incredible?
> >
> > or how about this question: do you like feeling amazing amounts of adrenaline and EXTREME amounts of satisfaction?
> >
> > or this one:
> >
> > do you like being separated from your every day halo player, or do you like being on even terms with them simply because the skill gap is massively reduced? lol
>
> I am doubting I’d be able to do that even if I mastered them, but I guess that helps settle it :stuck_out_tongue:

naw dude… you get the hang of it. you definitely have to practice it, but thats what makes it so rewarding!

its like

practice practice practice

try in game -> fail. crap.

practice practice practice

try in game -> do it properly -> EPIC WIN!

it takes a lot of practice, dont get me wrong, but most of them arent really that hard. especially not the BXB or BXR. the double shot was the hardest, but with practice i was able to master it and use it reliably.

> i sent a thing like this to bungie in the pre-H3 days. I thought it would be an interesting and new gameplay mechanic in an fps. they wouldn’t be nearly as powerful as they would’ve been in H2, but the addition of button combos to create new types of moves or something like in fighting games would be quite an interesting thing to be able to do and I would imagine that it would really separate skilled players from non-skilled players, which seems to be a big problem with a lot of ppl

exactly. the problem much of us see with reach is the major deficiency in SKILL GAP that the previous halo titles once had.

with button combos, skill gap increases by a STAGGERING amount.

I put a post about button combos in the “Official Halo Feedback Thread” if you support it or have anything against it, please go there to post about it, that is the main thread that 343 watches, so if you want this idea to get recognized, please go there.

No.

Any type of cheating is wrong and breaks the terms of service rules, and the last thing we need is a cheat to be fair.

no the point is that it would be an accepted skill in the game.

ranked only would be great.