Bungie had almost killed The Fall of Reach?

I read this article on Eric Nylund’s site, here and it’s actually kinda shocking. Nylund brings up Eric S. Trautmann pretty much saved The Fall of Reach. He brings up that Bungie didn’t want a backstory and personality, they wanted him to just be an avatar for the player. This is quite surprising, and was some interesting trivia and how such an amazing novel was almost thrown in the trash by Bungie. Imagine if this did happen, Chief wouldn’t really have a personality, anywhere as there would be no books, good job Bungie…

Not too surprising. The more details that come out, the more it seems bungie didn’t really want the books.

But they published it, and then made more. It’s normal that at some steps of development by some people of a huge studio opinions completely different from the ultimate product come out. It’s the final decision that matters, not the conceptual iterations.

> 2533274881534340;3:
> But they published it, and then made more. It’s normal that at some steps of development by some people of a huge studio opinions completely different from the ultimate product come out. It’s the final decision that matters, not the conceptual iterations.

But don’t you see what was going on there? Bungie was clearly trying to kill new ideas and just make another (really non cannonical) game. It’s almost like they had no new ideas of their own and wanted to kill any good ones coming into development by someone else. Like they wanted an excuse to leave halo in saying they didn’t have any ideas themselves or any from outside. “So yeah guys we are just going to work on destiny (density to me because it’s such a joke) now”-bungie

> 2533274820642782;4:
> > 2533274881534340;3:
> > But they published it, and then made more. It’s normal that at some steps of development by some people of a huge studio opinions completely different from the ultimate product come out. It’s the final decision that matters, not the conceptual iterations.
>
>
> But don’t you see what was going on there? Bungie was clearly trying to kill new ideas and just make another (really non cannonical) game. It’s almost like they had no new ideas of their own and wanted to kill any good ones coming into development by someone else. Like they wanted an excuse to leave halo in saying they didn’t have any ideas themselves or any from outside. “So yeah guys we are just going to work on destiny (density to me because it’s such a joke) now”-bungie

I think its more accurate to say they never expected halo to be the franchise it is today. I’d have to go dig it up again, but there was on interview that mentioned they were already kicking around ideas for what became destiny after making CE, but Microsoft wanted more halos. It’s probably why they tried to end the covenant so quickly in h2.

> 2533274881534340;3:
> But they published it, and then made more. It’s normal that at some steps of development by some people of a huge studio opinions completely different from the ultimate product come out. It’s the final decision that matters, not the conceptual iterations.

I think that is true to an extent, but then consider how hands-off they were with their own EU. The games and the EU existed in separate universes for all it mattered and Bungie had no problem contradicting it when they felt like it. Makes me feel really bad for the guy behind the Grimoire stuff in Destiny’s case, it just seems like a the natural evolution of what happened with the Halo EU.

"Its -Yoink!- out the franchise" ~ Bungie Studios, 2009

Seriously, I am glad a more profoundly dedicated studio is now in charge of the franchise, don’t get me wrong, I thank Bungie for it’s service, but in light of Halo: Reach and Halo 3: ODST, they couldn’t really offer anymore to the franchise.

> 2533274812652989;6:
> > 2533274881534340;3:
> > But they published it, and then made more. It’s normal that at some steps of development by some people of a huge studio opinions completely different from the ultimate product come out. It’s the final decision that matters, not the conceptual iterations.
>
>
> I think that is true to an extent, but then consider how hands-off they were with their own EU. The games and the EU existed in separate universes for all it mattered and Bungie had no problem contradicting it when they felt like it. Makes me feel really bad for the guy behind the Grimoire stuff in Destiny’s case, it just seems like a the natural evolution of what happened with the Halo EU.

It’s clear that Bungie do view the Grimorie in an entirely different way than they did with the Halo EU though, it’s all done In-House and (while accessed through other means) is actually a feature of the game itself which they do use to foreshadow future events, like the elements of TTK hinted at in several cards that came with HoW

They even hired a GW2 writer to be their “loremaster”

OT: Elements from CE don’t entirely mesh well with the backstory that TFoR established either (There’s repeated references to Chief being a straight up Cyborg, that Marine that says something along the lines of “Oh look, a Mark V” upon encountering the player etc.)

> 2533274833893244;8:
> > 2533274812652989;6:
> > > 2533274881534340;3:
> > > But they published it, and then made more. It’s normal that at some steps of development by some people of a huge studio opinions completely different from the ultimate product come out. It’s the final decision that matters, not the conceptual iterations.
> >
> >
> > I think that is true to an extent, but then consider how hands-off they were with their own EU. The games and the EU existed in separate universes for all it mattered and Bungie had no problem contradicting it when they felt like it. Makes me feel really bad for the guy behind the Grimoire stuff in Destiny’s case, it just seems like a the natural evolution of what happened with the Halo EU.
>
>
> It’s clear that Bungie do view the Grimorie in an entirely different way than they did with the Halo EU though, it’s all done In-House and (while accessed through other means) is actually a feature of the game itself which they do use to foreshadow future events, like the elements of TTK hinted at in several cards that came with HoW
>
> They even hired a GW2 writer to be their “loremaster”
>
> OT: Elements from CE don’t entirely mesh well with the backstory that TFoR established either (There’s repeated references to Chief being a straight up Cyborg, that Marine that says something along the lines of “Oh look, a Mark V” upon encountering the player etc.)

And yet there is still a disconnect between the Grimoire and the game itself. All the backstory on the Hive in the Book of Sorrows is great stuff, but if you had no idea what the Grimoire was then they just come across as Flood knock-offs. I just figure if they can put a jukebox in the Tower, a library terminal would not hurt.

This is why you never see any of the novels lore incorporated into bungies games. Some might say “FoR novel, Halo Reach game, hello!”. Not true. Reach was referenced in CEs instruction manual under “the story so far…”. They just did what they wanted. Ok, they put in SIIIs but that’s about it.

> 2533274812652989;9:
> > 2533274833893244;8:
> > > 2533274812652989;6:
> > > > 2533274881534340;3:
> > > > But they published it, and then made more. It’s normal that at some steps of development by some people of a huge studio opinions completely different from the ultimate product come out. It’s the final decision that matters, not the conceptual iterations.
> > >
> > >
> > > I think that is true to an extent, but then consider how hands-off they were with their own EU. The games and the EU existed in separate universes for all it mattered and Bungie had no problem contradicting it when they felt like it. Makes me feel really bad for the guy behind the Grimoire stuff in Destiny’s case, it just seems like a the natural evolution of what happened with the Halo EU.
> >
> >
> > It’s clear that Bungie do view the Grimorie in an entirely different way than they did with the Halo EU though, it’s all done In-House and (while accessed through other means) is actually a feature of the game itself which they do use to foreshadow future events, like the elements of TTK hinted at in several cards that came with HoW
> >
> > They even hired a GW2 writer to be their “loremaster”
> >
> > OT: Elements from CE don’t entirely mesh well with the backstory that TFoR established either (There’s repeated references to Chief being a straight up Cyborg, that Marine that says something along the lines of “Oh look, a Mark V” upon encountering the player etc.)
>
>
> And yet there is still a disconnect between the Grimoire and the game itself. All the backstory on the Hive in the Book of Sorrows is great stuff, but if you had no idea what the Grimoire was then they just come across as Flood knock-offs. I just figure if they can put a jukebox in the Tower, a library terminal would not hurt.

Most of it is seemingly an attempt to salvage what they had for the base game after Staten left (Can’t remember any specifics right now, but when the news of the Marty settlement broke the timeline matched up quite nicely), after which they had this feature they can’t just abandon. (I disagree on the Hive point, but that’s going to take us too far off topic, even in the base game there’s enough to make it clear that they are almost nothing alike)

There are several issues with the way Bungie had handled the Grimoire (accsessablity mainly), but it’s clearly something they do care about and isn’t going to go the way of the old EU

> 2533274873172929;7:
> “Its -Yoink!- out the franchise” ~ Bungie Studios, 2009
>
> Seriously, I am glad a more profoundly dedicated studio is now in charge of the franchise, don’t get me wrong, I thank Bungie for it’s service, but in light of Halo: Reach and Halo 3: ODST, they couldn’t really offer anymore to the franchise.

343 messes around with Halo’s lore for the sake of making up their own story as well, you know. There’s of course the overly anti-UNSC (not JUST anti-ONI) sentiments in Hunt the Truth, like when Ben states that the UNSC “abandoned” the Outer Colonies during the war, which directly conflicts with the events Impossible Life and Possible Death of Preston J. Cole, where Cole and the UNSC did anything but, and the portrayal of UNSC servicemen and women as baby-punting lunatics without a shred of humanity (ODSTs dropping onto a crowd of civilians and mowing them down, which doesn’t do anybody involved any favors, and UNSC soldiers messing around with plasma grenades while drunk, something so ridiculous it sounds like its straight out of a parody).

Not to mention the erroneous idea that the Spartan-IIs still looked like 14 year olds after the augmentation procedure. You’d think the people in the ship’s gym with John would mention that he looks like a 12 year old if that was true. Especially when in Hunt the Truth, Anthony makes it sound like it’s clear to everyone that John looks like a middle-schooler/high school student. While never directly stated, you’d think that the procedure the IIs went through would have to accelerate their puberty, considering that coating their bones in carbide ceramic wouldn’t be such a good idea if said bones are still going through growth spurts.

> 2533274860901607;12:
> > 2533274873172929;7:
> > “Its -Yoink!- out the franchise” ~ Bungie Studios, 2009
> >
> > Seriously, I am glad a more profoundly dedicated studio is now in charge of the franchise, don’t get me wrong, I thank Bungie for it’s service, but in light of Halo: Reach and Halo 3: ODST, they couldn’t really offer anymore to the franchise.
>
>
> 343 messes around with Halo’s lore for the sake of making up their own story as well, you know. There’s of course the overly anti-UNSC (not JUST anti-ONI) sentiments in Hunt the Truth, like when Ben states that the UNSC “abandoned” the Outer Colonies during the war, which directly conflicts with the events Impossible Life and Possible Death of Preston J. Cole, where Cole and the UNSC did anything but, and the portrayal of UNSC servicemen and women as baby-punting lunatics without a shred of humanity (ODSTs dropping onto a crowd of civilians and mowing them down, which doesn’t do anybody involved any favors, and UNSC soldiers messing around with plasma grenades while drunk, something so ridiculous it sounds like its straight out of a parody). Not to mention the erroneous idea that the Spartan-IIs still looked like 14 year olds after the augmentation procedure. You’d think the people in the ship’s gym with John would mention that he looks like a 12 year old if that was true. Especially when in Hunt the Truth, Anthony makes it sound like it’s clear to everyone that John looks like a middle-schooler/high school student.

So people with biased perceptions of groups of people will have biased perceptions of those groups of people? That is 343 messing with the lore? Really?

> 2533274812652989;13:
> > 2533274860901607;12:
> > > 2533274873172929;7:
> > > “Its -Yoink!- out the franchise” ~ Bungie Studios, 2009
> > >
> > > Seriously, I am glad a more profoundly dedicated studio is now in charge of the franchise, don’t get me wrong, I thank Bungie for it’s service, but in light of Halo: Reach and Halo 3: ODST, they couldn’t really offer anymore to the franchise.
> >
> >
> > 343 messes around with Halo’s lore for the sake of making up their own story as well, you know. There’s of course the overly anti-UNSC (not JUST anti-ONI) sentiments in Hunt the Truth, like when Ben states that the UNSC “abandoned” the Outer Colonies during the war, which directly conflicts with the events Impossible Life and Possible Death of Preston J. Cole, where Cole and the UNSC did anything but, and the portrayal of UNSC servicemen and women as baby-punting lunatics without a shred of humanity (ODSTs dropping onto a crowd of civilians and mowing them down, which doesn’t do anybody involved any favors, and UNSC soldiers messing around with plasma grenades while drunk, something so ridiculous it sounds like its straight out of a parody). Not to mention the erroneous idea that the Spartan-IIs still looked like 14 year olds after the augmentation procedure. You’d think the people in the ship’s gym with John would mention that he looks like a 12 year old if that was true. Especially when in Hunt the Truth, Anthony makes it sound like it’s clear to everyone that John looks like a middle-schooler/high school student.
>
>
> So people with biased perceptions of groups of people will have biased perceptions of those groups of people? That is 343 messing with the lore? Really?

Thing is, Ben knows this isn’t true. And Cole was idolized as a hero just as much as Chief was, so there’s really no reason for this former Section II propaganda maker to not be aware of his exploits.

And there’s really no “biased perception” going on when ODSTs dropped right onto a crowd, and starting mowing people down.

> 2533274860901607;14:
> > 2533274812652989;13:
> > > 2533274860901607;12:
> > > > 2533274873172929;7:
> > > > “Its -Yoink!- out the franchise” ~ Bungie Studios, 2009
> > > >
> > > > Seriously, I am glad a more profoundly dedicated studio is now in charge of the franchise, don’t get me wrong, I thank Bungie for it’s service, but in light of Halo: Reach and Halo 3: ODST, they couldn’t really offer anymore to the franchise.
> > >
> > >
> > > 343 messes around with Halo’s lore for the sake of making up their own story as well, you know. There’s of course the overly anti-UNSC (not JUST anti-ONI) sentiments in Hunt the Truth, like when Ben states that the UNSC “abandoned” the Outer Colonies during the war, which directly conflicts with the events Impossible Life and Possible Death of Preston J. Cole, where Cole and the UNSC did anything but, and the portrayal of UNSC servicemen and women as baby-punting lunatics without a shred of humanity (ODSTs dropping onto a crowd of civilians and mowing them down, which doesn’t do anybody involved any favors, and UNSC soldiers messing around with plasma grenades while drunk, something so ridiculous it sounds like its straight out of a parody). Not to mention the erroneous idea that the Spartan-IIs still looked like 14 year olds after the augmentation procedure. You’d think the people in the ship’s gym with John would mention that he looks like a 12 year old if that was true. Especially when in Hunt the Truth, Anthony makes it sound like it’s clear to everyone that John looks like a middle-schooler/high school student.
> >
> >
> > So people with biased perceptions of groups of people will have biased perceptions of those groups of people? That is 343 messing with the lore? Really?
>
>
> Thing is, Ben knows this isn’t true. And Cole was idolized as a hero just as much as Chief was, so there’s really no reason for this former Section II propaganda maker to not be aware of his exploits.

Ben did not know about the true origins of the Spartan-IIs, so if the UNSC and ONI lied and covered that up, don’t you think that might make him reevaluate everything else has been told or told to believe about those groups? The whole “UNSC abandoned the Outer Colonies” line isn’t even a 343 creation, you can find it in The Cole Protocol, a Bungie book. A book they nonetheless seemed to have no use for.

> 2533274812652989;15:
> > 2533274860901607;14:
> > > 2533274812652989;13:
> > > > 2533274860901607;12:
> > > > > 2533274873172929;7:
> > > > > “Its -Yoink!- out the franchise” ~ Bungie Studios, 2009
> > > > >
> > > > > Seriously, I am glad a more profoundly dedicated studio is now in charge of the franchise, don’t get me wrong, I thank Bungie for it’s service, but in light of Halo: Reach and Halo 3: ODST, they couldn’t really offer anymore to the franchise.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > 343 messes around with Halo’s lore for the sake of making up their own story as well, you know. There’s of course the overly anti-UNSC (not JUST anti-ONI) sentiments in Hunt the Truth, like when Ben states that the UNSC “abandoned” the Outer Colonies during the war, which directly conflicts with the events Impossible Life and Possible Death of Preston J. Cole, where Cole and the UNSC did anything but, and the portrayal of UNSC servicemen and women as baby-punting lunatics without a shred of humanity (ODSTs dropping onto a crowd of civilians and mowing them down, which doesn’t do anybody involved any favors, and UNSC soldiers messing around with plasma grenades while drunk, something so ridiculous it sounds like its straight out of a parody). Not to mention the erroneous idea that the Spartan-IIs still looked like 14 year olds after the augmentation procedure. You’d think the people in the ship’s gym with John would mention that he looks like a 12 year old if that was true. Especially when in Hunt the Truth, Anthony makes it sound like it’s clear to everyone that John looks like a middle-schooler/high school student.
> > >
> > >
> > > So people with biased perceptions of groups of people will have biased perceptions of those groups of people? That is 343 messing with the lore? Really?
> >
> >
> > Thing is, Ben knows this isn’t true. And Cole was idolized as a hero just as much as Chief was, so there’s really no reason for this former Section II propaganda maker to not be aware of his exploits.
>
>
> Ben did not know about the true origins of the Spartan-IIs, so if the UNSC and ONI lied and covered that up, don’t you think that might make him reevaluate everything else has been told or told to believe about those groups? The whole “UNSC abandoned the Outer Colonies” line isn’t even a 343 creation, you can find it in The Cole Protocol, a Bungie book. A book they nonetheless seemed to have no use for.

Problem is, Ben asserted that as absolute fact. He didn’t say “Who knows if Cole did what they said he did?” he just said “THE UNSC ABANDONED THE OUTER COLONIES”. Ben also always had faith in the Chief, so why wouldn’t he have faith in Cole, who was pretty much Humanity’s savior before Chief ever made headlines?

And the Cole Protocol doesn’t attempt to paint the UNSC as sadistic maniacs. When Delgado attempts to liken the UNSC to the Covenant, he is immediately smacked down (not literally of course) by Jai, and his “happy ending” has him realizing how the UNSC were NOT the demons he had grown up believing them to be, and joining the UNSC Navy. It’s pretty much the reverse of what happens in Hunt the Truth Season 1.

> 2533274860901607;16:
> > 2533274812652989;15:
> > > 2533274860901607;14:
> > > > 2533274812652989;13:
> > > > > 2533274860901607;12:
> > > > > > 2533274873172929;7:
> > > > > > “Its -Yoink!- out the franchise” ~ Bungie Studios, 2009
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Seriously, I am glad a more profoundly dedicated studio is now in charge of the franchise, don’t get me wrong, I thank Bungie for it’s service, but in light of Halo: Reach and Halo 3: ODST, they couldn’t really offer anymore to the franchise.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > 343 messes around with Halo’s lore for the sake of making up their own story as well, you know. There’s of course the overly anti-UNSC (not JUST anti-ONI) sentiments in Hunt the Truth, like when Ben states that the UNSC “abandoned” the Outer Colonies during the war, which directly conflicts with the events Impossible Life and Possible Death of Preston J. Cole, where Cole and the UNSC did anything but, and the portrayal of UNSC servicemen and women as baby-punting lunatics without a shred of humanity (ODSTs dropping onto a crowd of civilians and mowing them down, which doesn’t do anybody involved any favors, and UNSC soldiers messing around with plasma grenades while drunk, something so ridiculous it sounds like its straight out of a parody). Not to mention the erroneous idea that the Spartan-IIs still looked like 14 year olds after the augmentation procedure. You’d think the people in the ship’s gym with John would mention that he looks like a 12 year old if that was true. Especially when in Hunt the Truth, Anthony makes it sound like it’s clear to everyone that John looks like a middle-schooler/high school student.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > So people with biased perceptions of groups of people will have biased perceptions of those groups of people? That is 343 messing with the lore? Really?
> > >
> > >
> > > Thing is, Ben knows this isn’t true. And Cole was idolized as a hero just as much as Chief was, so there’s really no reason for this former Section II propaganda maker to not be aware of his exploits.
> >
> >
> > Ben did not know about the true origins of the Spartan-IIs, so if the UNSC and ONI lied and covered that up, don’t you think that might make him reevaluate everything else has been told or told to believe about those groups? The whole “UNSC abandoned the Outer Colonies” line isn’t even a 343 creation, you can find it in The Cole Protocol, a Bungie book. A book they nonetheless seemed to have no use for.
>
>
> Problem is, Ben asserted that as absolute fact. He didn’t say “Who knows if Cole did what they said he did?” he just said “THE UNSC ABANDONED THE OUTER COLONIES”. Ben also always had faith in the Chief, so why wouldn’t he have faith in Cole, who was pretty much Humanity’s savior before Chief ever made headlines?
>
> And the Cole Protocol doesn’t attempt to paint the UNSC as sadistic maniacs. When Delgado attempts to liken the UNSC to the Covenant, he is immediately smacked down (not literally of course) by Jai, and his “happy ending” has him realizing how the UNSC were NOT the demons he had grown up believing them to be, and joining the UNSC Navy.

Ben said it that way because Ben is a person with a biased perspective. The audio drama is called Hunt the Truth for a reason. Ben might say one thing, but that doesn’t mean it is true. FERO might say something, but that isn’t true. Sully might say something, but that doesn’t mean it is true. However, if Delgado believed in the idea of the UNSC abandoning the colonies, other people will to and they do not get the benefit of having Spartans and Keyes set the record straight. And even then Veta in the newest Halo book had similar beliefs and came to realize the UNSC was not all rotten either. That is kinda what happens when you follow personal narratives with characters who have their own biases and ideas on things. You’re pulling at straws and chasing phantoms, man.

> 2533274812652989;17:
> > 2533274860901607;16:
> > > 2533274812652989;15:
> > > > 2533274860901607;14:
> > > > > 2533274812652989;13:
> > > > > > 2533274860901607;12:
> > > > > > > 2533274873172929;7:
> > > > > > > “Its -Yoink!- out the franchise” ~ Bungie Studios, 2009
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Seriously, I am glad a more profoundly dedicated studio is now in charge of the franchise, don’t get me wrong, I thank Bungie for it’s service, but in light of Halo: Reach and Halo 3: ODST, they couldn’t really offer anymore to the franchise.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > 343 messes around with Halo’s lore for the sake of making up their own story as well, you know. There’s of course the overly anti-UNSC (not JUST anti-ONI) sentiments in Hunt the Truth, like when Ben states that the UNSC “abandoned” the Outer Colonies during the war, which directly conflicts with the events Impossible Life and Possible Death of Preston J. Cole, where Cole and the UNSC did anything but, and the portrayal of UNSC servicemen and women as baby-punting lunatics without a shred of humanity (ODSTs dropping onto a crowd of civilians and mowing them down, which doesn’t do anybody involved any favors, and UNSC soldiers messing around with plasma grenades while drunk, something so ridiculous it sounds like its straight out of a parody). Not to mention the erroneous idea that the Spartan-IIs still looked like 14 year olds after the augmentation procedure. You’d think the people in the ship’s gym with John would mention that he looks like a 12 year old if that was true. Especially when in Hunt the Truth, Anthony makes it sound like it’s clear to everyone that John looks like a middle-schooler/high school student.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > So people with biased perceptions of groups of people will have biased perceptions of those groups of people? That is 343 messing with the lore? Really?
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Thing is, Ben knows this isn’t true. And Cole was idolized as a hero just as much as Chief was, so there’s really no reason for this former Section II propaganda maker to not be aware of his exploits.
> > >
> > >
> > > Ben did not know about the true origins of the Spartan-IIs, so if the UNSC and ONI lied and covered that up, don’t you think that might make him reevaluate everything else has been told or told to believe about those groups? The whole “UNSC abandoned the Outer Colonies” line isn’t even a 343 creation, you can find it in The Cole Protocol, a Bungie book. A book they nonetheless seemed to have no use for.
> >
> >
> > Problem is, Ben asserted that as absolute fact. He didn’t say “Who knows if Cole did what they said he did?” he just said “THE UNSC ABANDONED THE OUTER COLONIES”. Ben also always had faith in the Chief, so why wouldn’t he have faith in Cole, who was pretty much Humanity’s savior before Chief ever made headlines?
> >
> > And the Cole Protocol doesn’t attempt to paint the UNSC as sadistic maniacs. When Delgado attempts to liken the UNSC to the Covenant, he is immediately smacked down (not literally of course) by Jai, and his “happy ending” has him realizing how the UNSC were NOT the demons he had grown up believing them to be, and joining the UNSC Navy.
>
>
> Ben said it that way because Ben is a person with a biased perspective. The audio drama is called Hunt the Truth for a reason. Ben might say one thing, but that doesn’t mean it is true. FERO might say something, but that isn’t true. Sully might say something, but that doesn’t mean it is true. However, if Delgado believed in the idea of the UNSC abandoning the colonies, other people will to and they do not get the benefit of having Spartans and Keyes set the record straight. And even then Veta in the newest Halo book had similar beliefs and came to realize the UNSC was not all rotten either. That is kinda what happens when you follow personal narratives with characters who have their own biases and ideas on things. You’re pulling at straws and chasing phantoms, man.

For Veta, it’s more like her taking a liking to the Spartans she had been working with, not really the UNSC as a whole. In fact, I believe that towards the end, she still hates the UNSC for what they did to the Gammas. And the difference between Ben and someone like Veta or Delgado is the fact that Ben hasn’t been raised in a community with Insurrectionist sympathies. So WHY does he believe that the Outer Colonies were abandoned? It’s not like he comes across a box of documents similar to the Data Drops, where it’s revealed that the UNSC intentionally sacrificed colonies to save themselves, a reliable source told him so, or anything like that. He just starts believing it so the UNSC seems even more evil in this narrative.

The podcast has been a rather interesting perspective when combined with all the narratives of what went into Halo: CE. Sounds like a really harried experience for all those involved as the Xbox launch drew near. Also sounded like Microsoft attempted to give up on making novels for franchises as well since Halo was submitted for publication approval behind Ed Fries’ back. Good thing it worked out for 'em granted Microsoft’s craze in trying to repeat that success with their other titles (e.g. Blood Wake, Brute Force, Crimson Skies) didn’t work out too well.

The bit after the Halo experience regarding video game comic books was rather interesting though. According to Trautman, a comic series like Gears of War far outsold and outpaced even the most popular established comic series from the likes of Marvel existing at the time, but went unreported due to technicalities. Makes one wonder how well the Halo comics were being sold both on Marvel and Dark Horse sides of the fence in comparison to the likes or say The Avengers, Batman, Spider-man, etc.

> 2533274860901607;12:
> 343 messes around with Halo’s lore for the sake of making up their own story as well, you know. There’s of course the overly anti-UNSC (not JUST anti-ONI) sentiments in Hunt the Truth, like when Ben states that the UNSC “abandoned” the Outer Colonies during the war, which directly conflicts with the events Impossible Life and Possible Death of Preston J. Cole, where Cole and the UNSC did anything but,

That’s not entirely true though. There were colonies that believed they had been abandoned by the UNSC. Even if you argue that they didn’t actually abandon them, that doesn’t change the fact that people believe they did.

Halo: The Cole Protocol
Chapter 7, Page 70

Delgado shook his head. “Not exactly… A lot of people on Madrigal were neutral, even loyal to Earth. But when Madrigal was being glassed, it wasn’t the UNSC that scrambled freighters and everything they had to evacuate people from Madrigal and try to hide them here.”
It had been the rebels. Even though Madrigal refugees and regular miners fast outnumbered them here in the Rubble, there had always been a strong respect for the Insurrectionists. Even Delgado. He owed his life to them.