BumperJumper overrated?

This only applies to people with regular controllers and not Elite ones, and specifically claw grip players.

I used to use bumper jumper since Halo 3 and everybody here is using it, however there are some issues with this button layout. First, thrust is on ‘x’ which is a major problem. This means that you are shooting with your middle finger with a claw grip. I personally can never feel right shooting with my middle finger.

It’s also just too much input for the right hand. Think about it. With Bumper Jumper you’re thrusting, shooting, aiming, and reloading/sprinting all with the right hand. A more optimal button layout would divide inputs more evenly between left and right.

I am experimenting now with Southpaw. Shooting with the left hand feels weird at first but I honestly believe that this is one of the most optimal button layouts for claw grip players. Now, in gunfights, the right hand takes care of aiming, jumping, crouching, thrusting. The left hand takes care of movement and firing. With practice I think this may be the most optimal button layout.

There are other button layouts of course, but none of them have you shooting with the left hand. To me this is the most important feature of Southpaw as it frees up the right hand to focus 100% on aiming without having to manipulate the fine movements of both the right-hand thumb and the index finger simultaneously.

I have nothing to contribute here, but I did really enjoy reading your breakdown of controller layouts.

I’m too old school or stuck in my ways to significantly alter my controller layout. That said, I’m always seriously impressed by players who can overhaul their layouts and style of play in their quest to get better.

Keep us updated, and best of luck to you with this switch.

When I started playing Halo 5 I played on default, after a few months I switched to Helljumper, and after a few more months I switched to Bumper Jumper, and after several more months I got an Elite controller.

I have heard the case for Southpaw which does make a lot of sense. Halo 5 is pretty much at the limit (maybe even over the limit) of actions you can fit on a standard controller.

> 2533274843056602;2:
> I have nothing to contribute here, but I did really enjoy reading your breakdown of controller layouts.
>
> I’m too old school or stuck in my ways to significantly alter my controller layout. That said, I’m always seriously impressed by players who can overhaul their layouts and style of play in their quest to get better.
>
> Keep us updated, and best of luck to you with this switch.

Exactly this. Do I wish I could thrust while still aiming in a gunfight? Yes, but I’ve been on bumper jumper for over a decade. It’d throw me off and whenever I go back to MCC I’d just be thrown off again. Seems like the real answer is get an elite controller haha.

Everyone has a preference. I am willing to bet that bumper jumper has won me more gun fights than it has lost me simply because I have stuck with it for so long. I also don’t see a need for claw grip or an elite controller for my play style. I just play to decompress after work. Honestly I’m usually a few drinks in while I play anyways, so I couldn’t justify changing my control scheme, controller, or even how I hold the controller just for a slight benefit that may or may not make a difference in the flow of a match