Bullets

Since the Xbox One is going to have dedicated servers is it time for real projectiles to come back instead of hitscan?

In my option yes, pretty much. Maybe hit-scan would be better for competitive players, I mean it is more consistent but I think for casual experience, or at least semi-competitive game play the projectile is the better choice.

For Campaign, projectiles without hesitation. Just played some CEA. Love the Magnum’s HE bullets.

as long as bullets still leave the “trail from origin” as they always have.

Projectiles!!! Hands down!! It is my number 1 wish for Halo 5. Hitscan is boring and too easy.

Projectiles.

Hitscan + servers is just stupid and a waste of servers. CSHD was an okay idea for P2P networking but if they’re going to have Server based gameplay than they should go with projectiles.

> In my option yes, pretty much. Maybe hit-scan would be better for competitive players, I mean it is more consistent but I think for casual experience, or at least semi-competitive game play the projectile is the better choice.
>
> For Campaign, projectiles without hesitation. Just played some CEA. Love the Magnum’s HE bullets.

This so much ^^^^^^^

I can’t imagine SWAT being as fun as it is being projectiles. Also you’d be trading the quick reaction skill of players to bullet compensation.

Hitscan for Competative

Projectiles for Casual / Scocial

(If its not too much trouble :slight_smile: )

I would argue that while yes hitscan is consistent and in that way is good for competitive gaming, projectile with servers is by far the way to go. Leading your shots takes far more skill and if one is good at it than they are also just as consistent as hitscan.

Which widens the skill-gap, as it should be.

We can’t have both Hitscan and Projectile.
The gameplay must be consistent.

Having said that, I’d prefer Projectile.
It’s best for both casual and competitive.
Especially competitive, as it expands the skillgap.

However, the players need to know this.
When I first played Halo 3, I was completely unaware that one must lead his shots.
Even as I improved, I never discovered this until about a year ago.

As you could imagine, such a misunderstanding was very frustrating.
So make sure players know about it.

> <mark>We can’t have both Hitscan and Projectile.</mark>
> <mark>The gameplay must be consistent.</mark>
>
> Having said that, I’d prefer Projectile.
> It’s best for both casual and competitive.
> Especially competitive, as it expands the skillgap.
>
> However, the players need to know this.
> When I first played Halo 3, I was completely unaware that one must lead his shots.
> Even as I improved, I never discovered this until about a year ago.
>
> As you could imagine, such a misunderstanding was very frustrating.
> So make sure players know about it.

Agreed

If dedicated servers work as well as I expect, I’ve gotta go with projectiles over hitscan. I didn’t care for projectiles much in Halo 3 but we didn’t have dedi’s then either.

Another thing: I really want hit markers to be kept, especially if we get projectiles.

> If dedicated servers work as well as I expect, I’ve gotta go with projectiles over hitscan. I didn’t care for projectiles much in Halo 3 but we didn’t have dedi’s then either.
>
> Another thing: I really want hit markers to be kept, especially if we get projectiles.

I don’t really like hitmarkers, I feel they should just make the shield flare a bit more noticeable when you’re shooting someone.

Those are Halo’s hitmarkers. :slight_smile:

> > If dedicated servers work as well as I expect, I’ve gotta go with projectiles over hitscan. I didn’t care for projectiles much in Halo 3 but we didn’t have dedi’s then either.
> >
> > Another thing: I really want hit markers to be kept, especially if we get projectiles.
>
> I don’t really like hitmarkers, I feel they should just make the shield flare a bit more noticeable when you’re shooting someone.
>
> Those are Halo’s hitmarkers. :slight_smile:

Not even just that. All the games just had something to them that seemed to magically make you know you hit something. There was just something to it.

> We can’t have both Hitscan and Projectile.
> The gameplay must be consistent.
>
> Having said that, I’d prefer Projectile.
> It’s best for both casual and competitive.
> Especially competitive, as it expands the skillgap.
>
> However, the players need to know this.
> When I first played Halo 3, I was completely unaware that one must lead his shots.
> Even as I improved, I never discovered this until about a year ago.
>
> As you could imagine, such a misunderstanding was very frustrating.
> So make sure players know about it.

Fair point, if I had to choose one, projectile would be the way to go.

> > If dedicated servers work as well as I expect, I’ve gotta go with projectiles over hitscan. I didn’t care for projectiles much in Halo 3 but we didn’t have dedi’s then either.
> >
> > Another thing: I really want hit markers to be kept, especially if we get projectiles.
>
> I don’t really like hitmarkers, I feel they should just make the shield flare a bit more noticeable when you’re shooting someone.
>

That and the Player model animation for being shot, and the kill feed.

I never understood the desire for H4/every generic modern FPS style hit markers. If they’re dead you hit them, if they aren’t you didn’t hit them enough so keep shooting.

>

I can see this happening. :slight_smile:

What if hit markers were made into an option? If you don’t like them you can toggle them off. The thing about the shield flare is it only works for the first shot.

> What if hit markers were made into an option? If you don’t like them you can toggle them off. The thing about the shield flare is it only works for the first shot.

Then players that had them on would still have that advantage, the problem would still exist.

> > What if hit markers were made into an option? If you don’t like them you can toggle them off. The thing about the shield flare is it only works for the first shot.
>
> Then players that had them on would still have that advantage, the problem would still exist.

I hate hit-markers and they should be removed entirely, or at least be removed from grenades and explosive weapons. The armor should flare like it did in Halo 1-3 when someone was low on health instead.

In terms of projectiles vs hitscan, for Halo I would prefer hitscan regardless of the networking type. I do not feel that leading your shots is something that is really a part of Halo. Even in games that used projectiles (Halo 1 and 3), I never really felt that leading your shots was a big factor. In fact, I don’t remember it ever being a factor unless there was lag.

Given that lag compensation for projectiles is tricky and resource hungry (particularly with the options available on a dedicated server, think Battlefield) combined with the fast paced arena style combat of Halo, I just don’t see the point other than to make a few veterans happy.

> In terms of projectiles vs hitscan, for Halo I would prefer hitscan regardless of the networking type. I do not feel that leading your shots is something that is really a part of Halo. Even in games that used projectiles (Halo 1 and 3), I never really felt that leading your shots was a big factor. In fact, I don’t remember it ever being a factor unless there was lag.
>
> Given that lag compensation for projectiles is tricky and resource hungry (particularly with the options available on a dedicated server, think Battlefield) combined with the fast paced arena style combat of Halo, I just don’t see the point other than to make a few veterans happy.

You know, the Needler Rifle from Reach wasn’t Hitscan but it worked just as well as the Hitscan DMR, plus that was P2P networking. With dedicated servers and an overall better netcode I don’t think you’ll even notice it’s projectile based.

Client-side hit detection is annoying because you can get shot when you’re behind a wall.