Bullet spread vs Bloom

Bullet spread has to do with how far your bullets will stray from their mark… with the BR in Halo 3 those three shots didn’t line up perfectly. In halo Reach there’s bloom which many have stated is just bullet spread that you can visually see. Someone mind explaining the difference? Because people keep saying “oh no bloom is wayyy different”. Why is it different? What makes it any different than bullet spread? Thank you… I’m just wondering:)

Bloom: The faster you shoot, the more your bullets stray from the center of your reticle. You can control that by pacing your shots.

Spread: Bullets will always stray from the center of your reticle regardless of how quickly or slowly you shoot.

Okay that’s what I thought. I just wanted to make sure because I was thinking of the assault rifle and the carbine and thinking they did similar things bullet spread wise but then I thought… but the carbine… didn’t stray too much… and we were always told to pulse the assault rifle but that’s because it wouldn’t start spreading until like six shots in or something… either way, thanks.
sorry it’s 4:33 and I’m not… completely here:)

With spread, the distance to target is a big factor. The farther you are from your target, the more spread there is.

> Bloom: The faster you shoot, the more your bullets stray from the center of your reticle. You can control that by pacing your shots.
>
> Spread: Bullets will always stray from the center of your reticle regardless of how quickly or slowly you shoot.

I liked spread more than bloom regardless of the above.

The DMR is like a Sniper rifle, you can kill people a mile away with it. while the same was possible in Halo 3, it was harder because if you shot with a BR across sandtrap only 1 bullet would hit them.

I think they should scrap BR spread, and just put in hitscan, if you hit your target from a medium range, all 3 shots are a hit, if you hit them from a farther range, 2 shots make it, if you FAR away from them, like across Avalanche, only 1 shot will hit. any farther and it is 1 shot only each time.

they should do the above, to take the luck out of BRing, but they should also add a different mode of firing which is single shot bursts. With the press of the D-Pad you can change to single shot, and no a single bullet from semi fire mode is not equal to a 3 shot burst. Its so you can shoot people at a distance without wasting any ammo.

I like to think I was a pretty reasonable halo 3 player, and spread had little effect on my gameplay, on the rare occasion i thought it did, I’d ususally go in theatre to check and most of the time I’d not been aiming perfectly. I’d really like to try reach without bloom, but even then I think maybe I’d prefer the BR. It was the perfect balance between competitiveness and noobfriendlyness.

I use the term “Bloom” when referring to the bullet spread because I don’t feel like explaining it every time. Now, onto the explanation:

Bloom - The visual effect of your reticule expanding and retracting and is highly dependent on the rate of fire.

Spread - The action of the bullets landing “randomly” for lack of a better word. They “spread” out.

Sentence(s):
Johnny hated the DMR. He spammed his DMR so the Bloom expanded thus increasing the spread of the bullets. He believed the battles resulted in a quarter flip.

Jenny hated the Halo 3 BR because of the random spread and believed the battles resulted in a quarter flip.

I don’t think people understand that BR spread was unnoticed by like 99% of the halo population. It didn’t have that much of an effect.

^^ Basically what I’m trying to say there is than in reach the better player wins maybe 60-70% of the time, whereas in halo 3 the better player would win more like 90+% of the time.

> ^^ Basically what I’m trying to say there is than in reach the better player wins maybe 60-70% of the time, whereas in halo 3 the better player would win more like 90+% of the time.

I think the statistics are relatively the same. Halo 2 and Halo 1 were when the better player won “90+%” of the time. Going by MLG tournament statistics, there is more consistency with Reach than there was with Halo 3. Halo 3 didn’t see a 2peat until the 2nd year of Halo 3 and we didn’t see a 3peat until the last 3 events. Reach we already have a team that has won 2 events back to back and has only dropped 1 gametype. Every Halo 3 event it was a toss up pretty much.

That’s nothing to do with individual skill though, more to do with the insane teamwork instinct has (i actually watched the wrap-up thing only yesterday). And in any case, I’m not really talking about MLG. The great thing about halo 3 in my opinion was that I could go and have a bunch of difficult, challenging, and sometimes frustrating games of MLG, but then go casually win games in social for a bit. Now its some difficult challenging games against people who’ve never played before, as I have to avoid the many easy ways to get kills in reach.

> That’s nothing to do with individual skill though, more to do with the insane teamwork instinct has (i actually watched the wrap-up thing only yesterday). And in any case, I’m not really talking about MLG. The great thing about halo 3 in my opinion was that I could go and have a bunch of difficult, challenging, and sometimes frustrating games of MLG, but then go casually win games in social for a bit. Now its some difficult challenging games against people who’ve never played before, as I have to avoid the many easy ways to get kills in reach.

The same thing about teamwork could be said about Halo 3. Roy is just ridiculous with the snipe. 2gre is just an all around great player. Pistola is just Pistola. And Lunchbox does the mopwork. As for the social proposition, I haven’t been able to do that since Halo 2… Halo 3 felt like a chore to me and I definitely enjoy Reach more so than H3 even though it definitely has it flaws.

> With spread, the distance to target is a big factor. The farther you are from your target, the more spread there is.

Which I like b/c it opens maps to movement

Acording to Frankie, Bloom=(Spread)x(Time)

guywiired stop trying to defend bloom. if you are of the opinion that reach is great that’s fine, but there is no defence of bloom. spread was not a big deal.

Why does everyone hate bloom (I just want some opinions not angry responses)

> Why does everyone hate bloom (I just want some opinions not angry responses)

If it worked like it was supposed to i.e. pacing your shots was better, it’d be fine/good, although I’m not sure fans of previous games would have liked it as much. Although I could have adapted or tried to.

The problem is spamming the trigger is way too effective. Spamming beats pacing a quarter of the time. That seems a bit dumb when we were told by bungie to pace our shots.

It’s also annoying and slows the game down, increases kill times etc.

> guywiired stop trying to defend bloom. if you are of the opinion that reach is great that’s fine, but there is no defence of bloom. spread was not a big deal.

I wasn’t defending anything, I was simply quoting Frankie.

Sorry you can’t handle the tru7h.

> Why does everyone hate bloom (I just want some opinions not angry responses)

Not everyone hates bloom, there’s just a handful of people who can’t deal with it, and they whine… a lot.

> > Why does everyone hate bloom (I just want some opinions not angry responses)
>
> If it worked like it was supposed to i.e. pacing your shots was better, it’d be fine/good, although I’m not sure fans of previous games would have liked it as much. Although I could have adapted or tried to.
>
> The problem is spamming the trigger is way too effective. Spamming beats pacing a quarter of the time. That seems a bit dumb when we were told by bungie to pace our shots.
>
> It’s also annoying and slows the game down, increases kill times etc.

In my experience if you pace your shots followed up by a headshot (which is unlikely for them to get when their spamming) you normally come out the victor