Bullet spread and smart-scope benefits need to go.

Looking back on some old posts from Astronut7, I’ve become to develop the idea that halo’s precision weapons need to get rid of bullet spread altogether, and the benefit of using smart-scope should be removed. I think one of the most frustrating encounters is when you are facing players over long distances who end up winning the fight because their shots were more accurate while smart-scoping (from decreased bullet spread) and they possess an increased range of aim assist, and this encounter is a combination of the problems I want to get rid of. Having bullet spread over a long distance (while hipfiring) makes your weapon unreliable because you are at the mercy of this mechanic as to whether your shots will actually hit the opponent’s body, assuming you’re on target.

But for some odd reason, smart-scoping seems to increase the accuracy of of your weapon too by reducing the bullet spread of your precision weapon. This is evident in automatic weapons especially where you obtain an accuracy increase by simply smart-scoping. Not only this, but the red reticule range is increased, giving players an advantage of using smart-scope because the aim assist is much stronger in smart-scope, which makes average players miss less shots over longer distances. The advantage is especially evident within sniper rifles also, making the halo 5 sniper rifle arguably the easiest out of all other halos to use. Such an advantage ruins maps with large sight lines like Viking (halo 3 Valhalla remake) as players are extremely vulnerable from many angles no matter the distance.

Ultimately, removing bullet spread for all precision weapons and removing the advantage of increased accuracy/aim assist while smart-scoping would be beneficial in increasing halo 5’s skill gap in long range gunfights. Visually, the reticule would look like a dot instead of a small circle to accommodate this change. What do you think?

I love the gunplay in Halo 5. Best in the series in my opinion.

> 2533274816299345;2:
> I love the gunplay in Halo 5. Best in the series in my opinion.

What does that have to do with my suggestions? Stay on topic please.

> 2533274816299345;2:

What exactly did you like about the gunplay honestly, because the issues addressed in my OP really mess with halo 5’s skill gap over gunfights in long distances.

> 2533274816299345;2:

Please stay on topic

I want a red dot reticule vs a big circle. I woukld pay $5 for that one thing.

> 2533274825101441;6:
> I want a red dot reticule vs a big circle. I woukld pay $5 for that one thing.

That would be a good change if the game removed bullet spread for all precision weapons, otherwise the reticule would be misleading.

The de-scoping because of long distance engagements has been bothering me for a while. It doesn’t make much sense, 9 out of 10 times, unless you hide to regain your target, you have very little ability to recover due to the horrendous accuracy accompanied by hip firing. I agree, smart scoping needs to be reduced or eliminated, Zoom was a much better option.

> 2533274968707582;3:
> > 2533274816299345;2:
> > I love the gunplay in Halo 5. Best in the series in my opinion.
>
>
> What does that have to do with my suggestions? Stay on topic please.

It was on topic. He is saying he disagrees with your assessment of the situation as do I.

Bullet Spread has always need reduced when scoping. The SMG in Halo 3 ODST did this when you zoomed. So did the BR in Halo 2. I don’t really think it’s a huge deal.

> 2533274905000428;10:
>

> 2533274880633045;9:
> > 2533274968707582;3:
> > > 2533274816299345;2:
> > >
> >
> >
> > What does that have to do with my suggestions? Stay on topic please.
>
>
> It was on topic. He is saying he disagrees with your assessment of the situation as do I.

If he disagreed with my suggestions, then he would have been more clear in his message instead of saying how great halo 5’s gun play is, as it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s flawless. But why do you disagree with my suggestions for bullet spread and the smart-scope advantages?

are we sure smart scoping just is not their new fancy name for zoom. i mean aside from the increase in aim assist and magnetism, which is whether you zoom in or not anyways, what is really the differnece, when it comes to the BR.
de scoping is amazing an was a big complaint about H4, players could just “hardscope” the whole time while in H3 you couldnt, which made H3 more competitive. i like the descope feature, if your opponent is constantly de scoping you and you cant get back, that right there is the skill gap, not allowing you to stay scoped, that makes it less of a skill gap if one player can not gain an edge by being more accurate.

> 2533274905000428;10:
> Bullet Spread has always need reduced when scoping. The SMG in Halo 3 ODST did this when you zoomed. So did the BR in Halo 2. I don’t really think it’s a huge deal.

This was never present in halo 1 in regards to decreasing bullet spread. I don’t think we should rule out change in certain mechanics from the original games just because of tradition. I don’t see how smart-scoping would be improved by giving such strong advantages so that it is essential to win long range gunfights.

> 2533274968707582;11:
> > 2533274905000428;10:
> > Bullet Spread has always need reduced when scoping. The SMG in Halo 3 ODST did this when you zoomed. So did the BR in Halo 2. I don’t really think it’s a huge deal.
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274880633045;9:
> > > 2533274968707582;3:
> > > > 2533274816299345;2:
> > > > I love the gunplay in Halo 5. Best in the series in my opinion.
> > >
> > >
> > > What does that have to do with my suggestions? Stay on topic please.
> >
> >
> > It was on topic. He is saying he disagrees with your assessment of the situation as do I.
>
>
> If he disagreed with my suggestions, then he would have been more clear in his message instead of saying how great halo 5’s gun play is, as it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s flawless. But why do you disagree with my suggestions for bullet spread and the smart-scope advantages?

Bullet spread has been a thing for years and that includes the reduction of it when the weapon is scoped in. ADS seemed like a horrible idea when I first heard about it, I was in the ‘it’s just an appeal to cod kids’ crowd’, but once I got it off the left trigger I found it functions just like scoping in previous games, with the exception that now you could do it with an AR etc. The game shouldn’t have to compensate for your failings. You lost a gun battle at range (It was in your initial post), because you got hit and descoped. It happens, happens to me pretty often. That doesn’t mean there is something wrong with the mechanics or that there needs to be a massive change. Smart scoping makes guns a bit more accurate, so does crouching do you want them to remove that too?

Personally, I would like the ADS range boost taken off Melee weapons, but that is off topic.

> 2533274881086487;12:
> are we sure smart scoping just is not their new fancy name for zoom. i mean aside from the increase in aim assist and magnetism, which is whether you zoom in or not anyways, what is really the differnece, when it comes to the BR.
> de scoping is amazing an was a big complaint about H4, players could just “hardscope” the whole time while in H3 you couldnt, which made H3 more competitive. i like the descope feature, if your opponent is constantly de scoping you and you cant get back, that right there is the skill gap, not allowing you to stay scoped, that makes it less of a skill gap if one player can not gain an edge by being more accurate.

I have never argued against removing the descope mechanic in halo 5, but I wish to remove bullet spread and smart-scope advantages to make long range gunfights more skillful.

> 2533274968707582;1:
> Looking back on some old posts from Astronut7, I’ve become to develop the idea that halo’s precision weapons need to get rid of bullet spread altogether, and the benefit of using smart-scope should be removed**. I think one of the most frustrating encounters is when you are facing players over long distances who have consistently descoped you and end up winning the fight because their shots were more accurate while zooming** and they possess an increased range of aim assist, and this encounter is a combination of the problems I want to get rid of. Having bullet spread over a long distance (while hipfiring) makes your weapon unreliable because you are at the mercy of this mechanic as to whether your shots will actually hit the opponent’s body, assuming you’re on target.
>
> But for some odd reason, smart-scoping seems to increase the accuracy of of your weapon too by reducing the bullet spread of your precision weapon. This is evident in automatic weapons especially where you obtain an accuracy increase by simply smart-scoping. Not only this, but the red reticule range is increased, giving players an advantage of using smart-scope because the aim assist is much stronger in smart-scope, which makes average players miss less shots over longer distances. The advantage is especially evident within sniper rifles also, making the halo 5 sniper rifle arguably the easiest out of all other halos to use. Such an advantage ruins maps with large sight lines like Viking (halo 3 Valhalla remake) as players are extremely vulnerable from many angles no matter the distance.
>
> Ultimately, removing bullet spread for all precision weapons and removing the advantage of increased accuracy/aim assist while smart-scoping would be beneficial in increasing halo 5’s skill gap in long range gunfights. Visually, the reticule would look like a dot instead of a small circle to accommodate this change. What do you think?

that right there clearly sounds like you dont like being descoped. which is why i mentioned it. they won the fights because they were able to just keep you from scoping in, being able to use aim assist has nothing to do with it, and the best weapon to get the upper hand in that situtaion is the carbine, the ROF will allow you to stay scoped in over the BR user.

> 2535461287427665;8:
> The de-scoping because of long distance engagements has been bothering me for a while. It doesn’t make much sense, 9 out of 10 times, unless you hide to regain your target, you have very little ability to recover due to the horrendous accuracy accompanied by hip firing. I agree, smart scoping needs to be reduced or eliminated, Zoom was a much better option.

and i mentioned the descope mechanic for this comment as well since smart link and zoom are basically the same thing

> 2533274881086487;16:
> > 2533274968707582;1:
> > Looking back on some old posts from Astronut7, I’ve become to develop the idea that halo’s precision weapons need to get rid of bullet spread altogether, and the benefit of using smart-scope should be removed**. I think one of the most frustrating encounters is when you are facing players over long distances who have consistently descoped you and end up winning the fight because their shots were more accurate while zooming** and they possess an increased range of aim assist, and this encounter is a combination of the problems I want to get rid of. Having bullet spread over a long distance (while hipfiring) makes your weapon unreliable because you are at the mercy of this mechanic as to whether your shots will actually hit the opponent’s body, assuming you’re on target.
> >
> > But for some odd reason, smart-scoping seems to increase the accuracy of of your weapon too by reducing the bullet spread of your precision weapon. This is evident in automatic weapons especially where you obtain an accuracy increase by simply smart-scoping. Not only this, but the red reticule range is increased, giving players an advantage of using smart-scope because the aim assist is much stronger in smart-scope, which makes average players miss less shots over longer distances. The advantage is especially evident within sniper rifles also, making the halo 5 sniper rifle arguably the easiest out of all other halos to use. Such an advantage ruins maps with large sight lines like Viking (halo 3 Valhalla remake) as players are extremely vulnerable from many angles no matter the distance.
> >
> > Ultimately, removing bullet spread for all precision weapons and removing the advantage of increased accuracy/aim assist while smart-scoping would be beneficial in increasing halo 5’s skill gap in long range gunfights. Visually, the reticule would look like a dot instead of a small circle to accommodate this change. What do you think?
>
>
> that right there clearly sounds like you dont like being descoped. which is why i mentioned it. they won the fights because they were able to just keep you from scoping in, being able to use aim assist has nothing to do with it, and the best weapon to get the upper hand in that situtaion is the carbine, the ROF will allow you to stay scoped in over the BR user.
>
>
>
>
> > 2535461287427665;8:
> > The de-scoping because of long distance engagements has been bothering me for a while. It doesn’t make much sense, 9 out of 10 times, unless you hide to regain your target, you have very little ability to recover due to the horrendous accuracy accompanied by hip firing. I agree, smart scoping needs to be reduced or eliminated, Zoom was a much better option.
>
>
> and i mentioned the descope mechanic for this comment as well since smart link and zoom are basically the same thing

Well with one major draw back, with Zoom you don’t have cross hairs lighting up to tell you the target is green. Smart Scope is by any other word, ADS, aiming down the sight, which is a staple in a lot of the current FPS titles to be released, so Halo 5 is definitely following more than they are leading, which is surprising.

> 2533274880633045;14:
> > 2533274968707582;11:
> > > 2533274905000428;10:
> > > Bullet Spread has always need reduced when scoping. The SMG in Halo 3 ODST did this when you zoomed. So did the BR in Halo 2. I don’t really think it’s a huge deal.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > > 2533274880633045;9:
> > > > 2533274968707582;3:
> > > > > 2533274816299345;2:
> > > > > I love the gunplay in Halo 5. Best in the series in my opinion.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > What does that have to do with my suggestions? Stay on topic please.
> > >
> > >
> > > It was on topic. He is saying he disagrees with your assessment of the situation as do I.
> >
> >
> > If he disagreed with my suggestions, then he would have been more clear in his message instead of saying how great halo 5’s gun play is, as it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s flawless. But why do you disagree with my suggestions for bullet spread and the smart-scope advantages?
>
>
> Bullet spread has been a thing for years and that includes the reduction of it when the weapon is scoped in. ADS seemed like a horrible idea when I first heard about it, I was in the ‘it’s just an appeal to cod kids’ crowd’, but once I got it off the left trigger I found it functions just like scoping in previous games, with the exception that now you could do it with an AR etc. The game shouldn’t have to compensate for your failings. You lost a gun battle at range (It was in your initial post), because you got hit and descoped. It happens, happens to me pretty often. That doesn’t mean there is something wrong with the mechanics or that there needs to be a massive change. Smart scoping makes guns a bit more accurate, so does crouching do you want them to remove that too?
>
> Personally, I would like the ADS range boost taken off Melee weapons, but that is off topic.

I don’t believe that we should rule out changes in the original formula just because the franchise has included these features for the longest time. There were many things that I wished were changed in halo 2 and halo 3, and bullet spread is indeed one of them.

Not only does the mechanic make precision weapons unreliable at range due to randomness in where your shots would hit, but it increases reliance in smart scope for those long ranges as it reduces bullet spread and punishes players for being seen first within said ranges. Bullet spread should be removed regardless of hipfire or smart-scope as players will be awarded for more accurate shooting at range and they won’t have the handicap of bloom to restrict their ability to aim at long distances. Smart-scope should simply serve to allow players on long distances to more easily focus on their enemies by increasing zoom and reducing initial sensitivities to maintain accuracy, nothing more, and nothing less. As for your bolded part, I would actually remove that ability for precision weapons with the changes that I’ve proposed.

I haven’t yet proposed an idea where the game compensates for your failings, please direct me specifically for when this statement applies. If anything, halo 5’s smart scope benefits already compensate for the player’s shortcomings with increased aim assist and reduced bullet spread, which I’m trying to remove.

> 2535461287427665;17:
> > 2533274881086487;16:
> > > 2533274968707582;1:
> > > Looking back on some old posts from Astronut7, I’ve become to develop the idea that halo’s precision weapons need to get rid of bullet spread altogether, and the benefit of using smart-scope should be removed**. I think one of the most frustrating encounters is when you are facing players over long distances who have consistently descoped you and end up winning the fight because their shots were more accurate while zooming** and they possess an increased range of aim assist, and this encounter is a combination of the problems I want to get rid of. Having bullet spread over a long distance (while hipfiring) makes your weapon unreliable because you are at the mercy of this mechanic as to whether your shots will actually hit the opponent’s body, assuming you’re on target.
> > >
> > > But for some odd reason, smart-scoping seems to increase the accuracy of of your weapon too by reducing the bullet spread of your precision weapon. This is evident in automatic weapons especially where you obtain an accuracy increase by simply smart-scoping. Not only this, but the red reticule range is increased, giving players an advantage of using smart-scope because the aim assist is much stronger in smart-scope, which makes average players miss less shots over longer distances. The advantage is especially evident within sniper rifles also, making the halo 5 sniper rifle arguably the easiest out of all other halos to use. Such an advantage ruins maps with large sight lines like Viking (halo 3 Valhalla remake) as players are extremely vulnerable from many angles no matter the distance.
> > >
> > > Ultimately, removing bullet spread for all precision weapons and removing the advantage of increased accuracy/aim assist while smart-scoping would be beneficial in increasing halo 5’s skill gap in long range gunfights. Visually, the reticule would look like a dot instead of a small circle to accommodate this change. What do you think?
> >
> >
> > that right there clearly sounds like you dont like being descoped. which is why i mentioned it. they won the fights because they were able to just keep you from scoping in, being able to use aim assist has nothing to do with it, and the best weapon to get the upper hand in that situtaion is the carbine, the ROF will allow you to stay scoped in over the BR user.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > > 2535461287427665;8:
> > > The de-scoping because of long distance engagements has been bothering me for a while. It doesn’t make much sense, 9 out of 10 times, unless you hide to regain your target, you have very little ability to recover due to the horrendous accuracy accompanied by hip firing. I agree, smart scoping needs to be reduced or eliminated, Zoom was a much better option.
> >
> >
> > and i mentioned the descope mechanic for this comment as well since smart link and zoom are basically the same thing
>
>
> Well with one major draw back, with Zoom you don’t have cross hairs lighting up to tell you the target is green. Smart Scope is by any other word, ADS, aiming down the sight, which is a staple in a lot of the current FPS titles to be released, so Halo 5 is definitely following more than they are leading, which is surprising.

right by having de scope which was one of halos things over other FPS, which you arent fond of. and ADS is another word for zoom.
i forgot and so clearly you did as well, H2 and H3 had red reticle as well when over the enemy players, funny werent those games before all these other major FPS games?

> 2533274881086487;16:
> > 2533274968707582;1:
> > Looking back on some old posts from Astronut7, I’ve become to develop the idea that halo’s precision weapons need to get rid of bullet spread altogether, and the benefit of using smart-scope should be removed**. I think one of the most frustrating encounters is when you are facing players over long distances who have consistently descoped you and end up winning the fight because their shots were more accurate while zooming** and they possess an increased range of aim assist, and this encounter is a combination of the problems I want to get rid of. Having bullet spread over a long distance (while hipfiring) makes your weapon unreliable because you are at the mercy of this mechanic as to whether your shots will actually hit the opponent’s body, assuming you’re on target.
>
>
> that right there clearly sounds like you dont like being descoped. which is why i mentioned it. they won the fights because they were able to just keep you from scoping in, being able to use aim assist has nothing to do with it, and the best weapon to get the upper hand in that situtaion is the carbine, the ROF will allow you to stay scoped in over the BR user.
>
>
>
> > 2535461287427665;8:
> >
>
>
> and i mentioned the descope mechanic for this comment as well since smart link and zoom are basically the same thing

I guess you misunderstood my wording in that particular encounter of the game, which is totally my fault and I’ll be sure to edit that part. In that situation, I was trying to properly refer to how the player who de scoped his enemy was able to win, but you missed my beginning statement regarding how I simply wanted bullet spread and the smart scope benefits (including reduced bullet spread and increased aim assist) to be removed, not the de scope mechanic. Currently, being de scoped in long distances ensures that the player being de scoped will die because he is unable to accurately shoot with the lack of aim assist while the opponent maintains increased aim assist, and increased bullet spread.