Bullet Magnetism With the Sidekick

I did some testing, and the Sidekick has perhaps the most bullet magnetism in the game thus far.

Here is the video evidence to support my claim DISCLAIMER, IT’S BEING TESTED ON BOTS IN THE GUN RANGE SIMULATOR

So basically, you can flat out miss and still land shots, which is present to an extent in some other unsc weapons, but not nearly as significant. I noted during my play experience that people would absolutely melt me by spamming the Sidekick as fast as possible, and I was foolishly trying to pace my shots for accuracy. THAT IS A MISTAKE. The bullet magnetism in red reticle range means your bullets will NEVER miss if the reticle is red, so the optimal way to use it is indeed to just spam it like you have a turbo controller. I regret not learning this sooner, because I was constantly irritated And frustrated while playing the beta.

The issue then falls to whether it can land shots outside of RRR, as the aim assist becomes almost nonexistent then. I suppose that becomes a topic of whether you’re on mkb or controller as well.

The bots were all standing still lmao.

> 2533274892422354;2:
> The bots were all standing still lmao.

That’s not the point

It’s genuinely hard to use at range even on KBM from what I can tell.

This kind of auto accuracy is so frustrating, and such a silly way to balance a game. The game should be intuitive to the player and weapons shouldn’t feel completely different inside and out of RRR.

They seems to be intentionally balancing the weapons around engagement distances to the point of artificially forcing it with magnetism hits and bloom misses. A gun shouldn’t feel like a laser within a dozen meters and like it’s shooting blanks outside of that range.

Reduce bloom. Reduce magnetism. Let missed shots be missed and hit shots be hits.

I understand the need for some RRR hand holding for game feel and accessibility. But it shouldn’t be the defining feature of the balance, because then it has the opposite effect: it removes any sense of intuition from the player and makes the game about learning the silly balance mechanics.

> 2533274824268736;3:
> > 2533274892422354;2:
> > The bots were all standing still lmao.
>
> That’s not the point

The bullet magnetism doesn’t provide much benefit on moving targets. You have to hit all your shots at head level for an optimal ttk.

> 2533274892422354;6:
> > 2533274824268736;3:
> > > 2533274892422354;2:
> > > The bots were all standing still lmao.
> >
> > That’s not the point
>
> The bullet magnetism doesn’t provide much benefit on moving targets. You have to hit all your shots at head level for an optimal ttk.

It’-Yoink!- scan, the target moving doesn’t make a difference in this game. All that matters is staying in red reticle range.

> 2533274824268736;7:
> > 2533274892422354;6:
> > > 2533274824268736;3:
> > > > 2533274892422354;2:
> > > > The bots were all standing still lmao.
> > >
> > > That’s not the point
> >
> > The bullet magnetism doesn’t provide much benefit on moving targets. You have to hit all your shots at head level for an optimal ttk.
>
> It’-Yoink!- scan, the target moving doesn’t make a difference in this game. All that matters is staying in red reticle range.

That’s the thing. You’re aiming with the tiny circle not the big one. That’s the bloom circle that affects accuracy. RRR won’t matter as the bloom is so large.

Sidekicks aim assist is the lowest out of all the UNSC weapons in the game.

> 2533274892422354;8:
> > 2533274824268736;7:
> > > 2533274892422354;6:
> > > > 2533274824268736;3:
> > > > > 2533274892422354;2:
> > > > > The bots were all standing still lmao.
> > > >
> > > > That’s not the point
> > >
> > > The bullet magnetism doesn’t provide much benefit on moving targets. You have to hit all your shots at head level for an optimal ttk.
> >
> > It’-Yoink!- scan, the target moving doesn’t make a difference in this game. All that matters is staying in red reticle range.
>
> That’s the thing. You’re aiming with the tiny circle not the big one. That’s the bloom circle that affects accuracy. RRR won’t matter as the bloom is so large.
>
> Sidekicks aim assist is the lowest out of all the UNSC weapons in the game.

The “tiny circle” is the actual reticle. It’s where the bullet is supposed to go

I’ve been saying for a while now how broken this gun is, yet after seeing the video proof, hilariously people still try to defend it.

Why? Because they want easy mode and a broken gun to use to get an advantage on people who don’t want to use it.

This was the one thing that soured my infinite experience playing the last flight, enough so that I stopped playing 4v4 and played all BTB because all 4v4 matches were just pistol shootouts and I cannot stand using the same gun over and over almost exclusively when there are a ton of variety of guns to use on the map.

The problem is your almost forced to if you want to even compete and enjoy the match because on 4v4 maps the sidekick outperformed everything.

I hate complaining without noting a fix though.

The sidekick should perform as a backup weapon in the sandbox, not a go to starting weapon, just like a sidearm in every other game. It’s a pistol.

  1. Remove bloom
  2. Add unpredictable recoil to punish spam and missed shots
  3. Lower rate of fire
  4. Longer reload ( right now its almost instant and a constant stream of fire )
  5. Make the swap to pistol super fast almost instant
  6. Allow duel wield. If any gun should be allowed DW it should be the pistols. It’s easy to balance.
  7. Give it it’s purpose of a finisher on unshielded enemy’s, it should be super accurate at short range with high velocity but limited range so your not headshotting across the map.

> 2535441684912240;10:
> I’ve been saying for a while now how broken this gun is, yet after seeing the video proof, hilariously people still try to defend it.
>
> Why? Because they want easy mode and a broken gun to use to get an advantage on people who don’t want to use it.
>
> This was the one thing that soured my infinite experience playing the last flight, enough so that I stopped playing 4v4 and played all BTB because all 4v4 matches were just pistol shootouts and I cannot stand using the same gun over and over almost exclusively when there are a ton of variety of guns to use on the map.
>
> The problem is your almost forced to if you want to even compete and enjoy the match because on 4v4 maps the sidekick outperformed everything.
>
> I hate complaining without noting a fix though.
>
> The sidekick should perform as a backup weapon in the sandbox, not a go to starting weapon, just like a sidearm in every other game. It’s a pistol.
>
> 1. Remove bloom
> 2. Add unpredictable recoil to punish spam and missed shots
> 3. Lower rate of fire
> 4. Longer reload ( right now its almost instant and a constant stream of fire )
> 5. Make the swap to pistol super fast almost instant
> 6. Allow duel wield. If any gun should be allowed DW it should be the pistols. It’s easy to balance.
> 7. Give it it’s purpose of a finisher on unshielded enemy’s, it should be super accurate at short range with high velocity but limited range so your not headshotting across the map.

The gun is not overpowered at all. What are you talking about?

It literally has the least aim assist out of all the weapons and takes 7 shots to kill for perfs. Not to mention the extra 3 shots if you’re hitting the body. You’re almost guaranteed to reload after a kill because of its 12 bullet magazine size.

What situation do you put yourself in to be killed by the worst pistol in the game?

> 2533274892422354;11:
> > 2535441684912240;10:
> > I’ve been saying for a while now how broken this gun is, yet after seeing the video proof, hilariously people still try to defend it.
> >
> > Why? Because they want easy mode and a broken gun to use to get an advantage on people who don’t want to use it.
> >
> > This was the one thing that soured my infinite experience playing the last flight, enough so that I stopped playing 4v4 and played all BTB because all 4v4 matches were just pistol shootouts and I cannot stand using the same gun over and over almost exclusively when there are a ton of variety of guns to use on the map.
> >
> > The problem is your almost forced to if you want to even compete and enjoy the match because on 4v4 maps the sidekick outperformed everything.
> >
> > I hate complaining without noting a fix though.
> >
> > The sidekick should perform as a backup weapon in the sandbox, not a go to starting weapon, just like a sidearm in every other game. It’s a pistol.
> >
> > 1. Remove bloom
> > 2. Add unpredictable recoil to punish spam and missed shots
> > 3. Lower rate of fire
> > 4. Longer reload ( right now its almost instant and a constant stream of fire )
> > 5. Make the swap to pistol super fast almost instant
> > 6. Allow duel wield. If any gun should be allowed DW it should be the pistols. It’s easy to balance.
> > 7. Give it it’s purpose of a finisher on unshielded enemy’s, it should be super accurate at short range with high velocity but limited range so your not headshotting across the map.
>
> The gun is not overpowered at all. What are you talking about?
>
> It literally has the least aim assist out of all the weapons and takes 7 shots to kill for perfs. Not to mention the extra 3 shots if you’re hitting the body. You’re almost guaranteed to reload after a kill because of its 12 bullet magazine size.
>
> What situation do you put yourself in to be killed by the worst pistol in the game?

You must be using a controller, and not very well if you have trouble using the gun.

You must also not pay any attention to the weapon that kills you or look at a kill feed with constant pistol headshots being displayed.

This video and many other show the proof and you claim it’s the worst in the game?
I guess you would need it to defend it and blatantly refuse video evidence.

" You’re almost guaranteed to reload after a kill because of its 12 bullet magazine size "
Boo hoo, your .25 second reload might get you killed to a second player your fighting because your wielding a pistol.

You shouldn’t be running around with a sidearm and expect to survive encounters. Not the purpose of a sidearm.
Neither should be randomness or spam.

Having to reload after a kill is not a strong complaint. Most weapons in the game so far have that limitation. The issue is how strong a weapon is in a single gunfight, and the sidekick is clearly a beast for all the wrong reasons.

> 2535441684912240;12:
> > 2533274892422354;11:
> > > 2535441684912240;10:
> > > I’ve been saying for a while now how broken this gun is, yet after seeing the video proof, hilariously people still try to defend it.
> > >
> > > Why? Because they want easy mode and a broken gun to use to get an advantage on people who don’t want to use it.
> > >
> > > This was the one thing that soured my infinite experience playing the last flight, enough so that I stopped playing 4v4 and played all BTB because all 4v4 matches were just pistol shootouts and I cannot stand using the same gun over and over almost exclusively when there are a ton of variety of guns to use on the map.
> > >
> > > The problem is your almost forced to if you want to even compete and enjoy the match because on 4v4 maps the sidekick outperformed everything.
> > >
> > > I hate complaining without noting a fix though.
> > >
> > > The sidekick should perform as a backup weapon in the sandbox, not a go to starting weapon, just like a sidearm in every other game. It’s a pistol.
> > >
> > > 1. Remove bloom
> > > 2. Add unpredictable recoil to punish spam and missed shots
> > > 3. Lower rate of fire
> > > 4. Longer reload ( right now its almost instant and a constant stream of fire )
> > > 5. Make the swap to pistol super fast almost instant
> > > 6. Allow duel wield. If any gun should be allowed DW it should be the pistols. It’s easy to balance.
> > > 7. Give it it’s purpose of a finisher on unshielded enemy’s, it should be super accurate at short range with high velocity but limited range so your not headshotting across the map.
> >
> > The gun is not overpowered at all. What are you talking about?
> >
> > It literally has the least aim assist out of all the weapons and takes 7 shots to kill for perfs. Not to mention the extra 3 shots if you’re hitting the body. You’re almost guaranteed to reload after a kill because of its 12 bullet magazine size.
> >
> > What situation do you put yourself in to be killed by the worst pistol in the game?
>
> You must be using a controller, and not very well if you have trouble using the gun.
>
> You must also not pay any attention to the weapon that kills you or look at a kill feed with constant pistol headshots being displayed.
>
> This video and many other show the proof and you claim it’s the worst in the game?
> I guess you would need it to defend it and blatantly refuse video evidence.
>
> " You’re almost guaranteed to reload after a kill because of its 12 bullet magazine size "
> Boo hoo, your .25 second reload might get you killed to a second player your fighting because your wielding a pistol.
>
> You shouldn’t be running around with a sidearm and expect to survive encounters. Not the purpose of a sidearm.
> Neither should be randomness or spam.

Nobody’s running around with the MK. 50 when there’s so many better weapons around.

Why would you pick an Mk 50 over a BR when you have an AR? You you wouldn’t work as hard and would have a range advantage over the MK. It’s called “Thinking.” How about you get better at that?

> 2533274824268736;13:
> Having to reload after a kill is not a strong complaint. Most weapons in the game so far have that limitation. The issue is how strong a weapon is in a single gunfight, and the sidekick is clearly a beast for all the wrong reasons.

I’m not complaining about the reload. It’s not hard to see why the mk would look strong if your using a mouse. It’s much easier to play with aa as it has a better range of control.

> 2533274824268736;13:
> Having to reload after a kill is not a strong complaint. Most weapons in the game so far have that limitation. The issue is how strong a weapon is in a single gunfight, and the sidekick is clearly a beast for all the wrong reasons.

It sucks outside of close range…

> 2535441684912240;10:
> I’ve been saying for a while now how broken this gun is, yet after seeing the video proof, hilariously people still try to defend it.
>
> Why? Because they want easy mode and a broken gun to use to get an advantage on people who don’t want to use it.
>
> This was the one thing that soured my infinite experience playing the last flight, enough so that I stopped playing 4v4 and played all BTB because all 4v4 matches were just pistol shootouts and I cannot stand using the same gun over and over almost exclusively when there are a ton of variety of guns to use on the map.
>
> The problem is your almost forced to if you want to even compete and enjoy the match because on 4v4 maps the sidekick outperformed everything.
>
> I hate complaining without noting a fix though.
>
> The sidekick should perform as a backup weapon in the sandbox, not a go to starting weapon, just like a sidearm in every other game. It’s a pistol.
>
> 1. Remove bloom
> 2. Add unpredictable recoil to punish spam and missed shots
> 3. Lower rate of fire
> 4. Longer reload ( right now its almost instant and a constant stream of fire )
> 5. Make the swap to pistol super fast almost instant
> 6. Allow duel wield. If any gun should be allowed DW it should be the pistols. It’s easy to balance.
> 7. Give it it’s purpose of a finisher on unshielded enemy’s, it should be super accurate at short range with high velocity but limited range so your not headshotting across the map.

Excuse me? The sidekick certainly did not dominate 4v4. And it’s only nearly this effective inside it’s RRR, so you have to have been taking a lot of close range engagements and then not strafing–because the strafe in this game is seriously good. I just honestly cannot even believe this.

Like I said: I’m all for a reduction in magnetism if it’s really as bad as this video makes it out to be. And of course bloom is a bad mechanic.

But…what?

If you are against easy mode guns, I hope you are for an AR nerf…or it’s removal from the starting loadout entirely.

Even if you were somehow getting consistently out shot by the Sidekick, there is no way it was outshining map pickups regularly. It’s a 7-shot kill. Even if you were somehow regularly getting 7-shot, which I guess I can’t doubt if you were losing close range engagements with a bulldog or long range ones with a commando or BR, the optimal kill time is hard to achieve. Against a moving target you still need to at least pace your final headshot.

The magnetism inside RRR may be a little strong, but the Sidekick is so laughably far from overpowered. Calm the magnetism down .Remove bloom. Make it a 6sk with the same ttk to reduce spam. But it does not need a nerf–it needs to be more accessible and reliable. Because I do agree it does feel out of place to be melted by one, and you can feel powerless. But to use the sidekick right now is a coin flip at best: either you get a lucky kill or your forced to reload against guns with much deeper mags and you die.

That’s certainly bad balance, but not overpowered.

Make it shoot straight. Give it more ammo so there is an actual reason to swap for it other than as an alternative to reloading–or I guess what must have been the case in your deaths: some corner camper taking advantage of someone who doesn’t strafe.

But unpredictable recoil is a hard no for Halo. And so is duel wielding.

> 2535441684912240;10:
> I’ve been saying for a while now how broken this gun is, yet after seeing the video proof, hilariously people still try to defend it.
>
> Why? Because they want easy mode and a broken gun to use to get an advantage on people who don’t want to use it.
>
> This was the one thing that soured my infinite experience playing the last flight, enough so that I stopped playing 4v4 and played all BTB because all 4v4 matches were just pistol shootouts and I cannot stand using the same gun over and over almost exclusively when there are a ton of variety of guns to use on the map.
>
> The problem is your almost forced to if you want to even compete and enjoy the match because on 4v4 maps the sidekick outperformed everything.
>
> I hate complaining without noting a fix though.
>
> The sidekick should perform as a backup weapon in the sandbox, not a go to starting weapon, just like a sidearm in every other game. It’s a pistol.
>
> 1. Remove bloom
> 2. Add unpredictable recoil to punish spam and missed shots
> 3. Lower rate of fire
> 4. Longer reload ( right now its almost instant and a constant stream of fire )
> 5. Make the swap to pistol super fast almost instant
> 6. Allow duel wield. If any gun should be allowed DW it should be the pistols. It’s easy to balance.
> 7. Give it it’s purpose of a finisher on unshielded enemy’s, it should be super accurate at short range with high velocity but limited range so your not headshotting across the map.

This is the worst take by far I’ve seen on this site about the Sidekick. It already has unpredictable recoil AND Bloom what more do you want lmao. Yeah, the reload’s almost instant, it’s a sidearm with a low range and light weight.

The swap to the pistol IS fast.

You’re asking for the Halo 2 magnum basically and I’m just going to tell you that literally nobody liked that thing.

I matched against K&M users who were literally crossmapping with the Sidekick. It definitely needs a tweak.

The point of the Bloom on the Sidekick in this game is to act as a range check, not to promote pacing shots within its red reticle range.

I’m confident about that, it exists to keep it from being a cross map laser beam for M&K players, since its red reticle range on controllers is extremely short, like 20-25m short, and once outside of it controllers struggle to land enough shots to bother.

The actual aim assist on it is extremely low though, it’s very easy to lose a target that’s strafing around in front of you compared to something like an AR or BR. Though I’d say it’s not as hard as it is with a Commando at closer ranges. The Commando doesn’t even seem to get aim assist until there’s enough range between you and a target, though it may still get magnetism. That would require some testing.

Also, Bloom on the Commando seems to serve the same function. While it is a longer range weapon it’s range is meant to fall shorter than a BRs, so Bloom keeps its -Yoink- patterns too inconsistent to rely on once outside it’s optimal range, but is tight enough not to influence it much at all within that range.