Bulldog is REPLACING classic shotgun? Please no.

Saw this article (link below) today and it hit me like a bag of bricks. I really hope it’s not true but apparently they are replacing the classic shotgun with the Bulldog? Does anyone have any information on whether or not the devs confirmed this? I was really looking forward to them adding to the sandbox, not warping it. The classic shotgun is so iconic and has several important functions in both campaign and multiplayer (especially custom games) that the Bulldog just won’t work for. If this is true, I sincerely hope the devs reconsider and put both shotguns in the game.

I know it’s frustrating… but try not to automatically assume the worst case scenario.

The Bulldog is a new gun. Give it time to breathe. We need to see how it plays. We need to feel how it plays.

Infinite is a new sandbox. The classic shotgun no longer fits. The Bulldog is the solution.

It certainly sounds different - a shotgun type mechanic but not a power weapon (I assume by that they mean it’s not a one shot kill).

I’m sure the classic shottie will be back for custom games. Why does everyone assume it won’t?

That’s not exactly how I interpreted the news of the bulldog. My understanding was that the bulldog is more of a starter/loadout weapon. I didn’t read anywhere that the classic, more “power weapon” shotgun was going away.

> 2585548714655118;2:
> I know it’s frustrating… but try not to automatically assume the worst case scenario.
>
> The Bulldog is a new gun. Give it time to breathe. We need to see how it plays. We need to feel how it plays.
>
> Infinite is a new sandbox. The classic shotgun no longer fits. The Bulldog is the solution.
>
> It certainly sounds different - a shotgun type mechanic but not a power weapon (I assume by that they mean it’s not a one shot kill).
>
> I’m sure the classic shottie will be back for custom games. Why does everyone assume it won’t?

^ basically this. Why don’t we actually try new things before we say they don’t belong.

I feel like the Bulldog gets a lot of hate just because it’s not the original shotgun. Sure, Halo fans like the original shotgun, but if this version is intended to replace the original shotgun, we should at least wait until release and see how it functions both as an individual weapon and as part of a far more extensive sandbox. Who knows? Maybe we’re trading up here.

If not, let’s complain about it all we want.

For a final thought, it’s actually not confirmed that the original shotgun is not coming back. Especially considering how different the bulldog is functionally, I wouldn’t be all that surprised if the bulldog is actually appearing alongside the original. However, if that’s the case, I’d wonder why 343 hasn’t said anything about it because fans do seem to want the original shotgun in the game.

Ya I’m trying not to assume since I haven’t seen official confirmation, which is why I was asking here if it’s been officially confirmed. I will say though that if they include both shotguns, at least we’re not losing anything, so less people will have a problem with the Bulldog in the sandbox.

As much as I appreciate Bungie era shotgun design, its honestly hard to get worked up over the absence of the OG shotgun given that design wise we have been stuck with an absolutely hideous rendition since 2012. As far as I’m concerned the Bulldog is a massive improvement from where we were in Halo 4/5, especially given how they are changing where the shotgun fits into the sandbox.

I can’t imagine many people would be happy with a proper classic design taking such a damage nerf. Visuals aside from where I’m sitting we haven’t had a good shotgun since CE and most later variants have felt like little more than a melee weapon. Looking back on the E3 gameplay the bulldog seemed like it could deal more reliable damage at range than most post CE shotguns.

Obviously its hard to really make a full judgement without really having a complete view of the sandbox, but the changes to the shotgun’s role in the sandbox gives the Sword some breathing room and allowing it to become the close range power weapon. Previously in most Halo games the shotgun is just a straight hard counter to a sword and the lack of range made the two weapons a little too similar in my book. The Hammer always had some degree of anti-vehicle capability and AOE to keep it from falling to the wayside. There are other ways to go about rebalancing where the shotgun fits in the sandbox, but the path they have chosen is a valid one, on paper at least, who knows how it will actually be executed.

All the guns I seen i like. I played since og Halo. I prefer a new gun than halo 4 and 5s interpretation of their shotgun. But even if the gun is replaced I’ll be okay with it. Games add and subtract content. Just hope its not features in past games. I’m okay with replacing. Hey with MCC if I want classic I got classic. I play the older games. I dont want the next installment to try to keep things the same, its exiting to see things evolve, and so far the art style is awesome. It screams Halo.

I don’t mind the new shotgun. If Infinite is going to be a hit… We need to be open to new experiences. And Bulldog seems to be a decent upgrade, imo.

> 2533274927740213;4:
> > 2585548714655118;2:
> > I know it’s frustrating… but try not to automatically assume the worst case scenario.
> >
> > The Bulldog is a new gun. Give it time to breathe. We need to see how it plays. We need to feel how it plays.
> >
> > Infinite is a new sandbox. The classic shotgun no longer fits. The Bulldog is the solution.
> >
> > It certainly sounds different - a shotgun type mechanic but not a power weapon (I assume by that they mean it’s not a one shot kill).
> >
> > I’m sure the classic shottie will be back for custom games. Why does everyone assume it won’t?
>
> ^ basically this. Why don’t we actually try new things before we say they don’t belong.

New thing scary.
Goblin brain no like change.
Goblin brain says hoard all the guns.
Goblin brain in conflict.
Goblin brain hurts.

Don’t get me wrong, I am looking forward to the new shotgun. I’d just rather it not be at the expense of the classic shotgun. I want to see both in the game.

It’s not confirmed the og is not returning, but looking at the HI gameplay they function very differently, with the new one being able to hit range pretty hard. Don’t get me wrong I love the old shotgun, but maybe this gun won’t be so bad when the game comes out. The only one I was a little wavered about was the magnum not returning. In my mind, the three weapons that come to mind when I think of Halo are the AR, BR, and Magnum.

Even if the classic gun isn’t there, I’m still gonna have fun running and gunning in a new halo

> 2585548714655118;2:
> It certainly sounds different - a shotgun type mechanic but not a power weapon (I assume by that they mean it’s not a one shot kill).

Personally never really considered the shotgun to be a power weapon until Reach. Most encounters play out in midrange and punish you heavily for using it. It’s strongest iteration is probably in H5 with smart scope. Even then H3 had the classic shotgun and the mauler which sounds like a similar role.

I don’t get why people are assuming that the classic shotgun is not coming back. The sandbox team did not say that at all. Here is their exact quote:

> Changing gears a little now, after the campaign demo last year we saw plenty of questions emerge about the weapons. The addition of the CQS48 Bulldog shotgun, which appeared at the end of the demo, garnered some attention because of its unique characteristics. Would you or someone on the team be able to speak to the Bulldog’s role in Halo Infinite’s sandbox?
> QD: The Bulldog is an exciting new shotgun weapon that is fast-firing and fast-loading. We have felt that the shotgun playstyle has been underrepresented in previous Halo titles, particularly in Multiplayer. We’ve found that there are a lot of players that want to be that “in-your-face CQC front-liner” but have never had a more readily available, less powerful, but still effective, shotgun that allowed them to play that role frequently across the multiplayer experience. That is essentially the player story genesis of how the Bulldog came to be.
> DP: What Quinn said is spot on. We wanted to have a shotgun that was not a power weapon. The Bulldog is a versatile weapon that provides the player the role of a shotgun and up-close playstyle more frequently in multiplayer than previous Halo titles as it is lower on the lethality scale of weapons and is thus more prevalent. Similar to that, we wanted a shotgun that embraces the rapid-fire/dish out multiple shots quickly. That’s where the Bulldog excels.

I believe the bulldog and the shotgun will be two weapons of the same class coexisting in the sandbox, like AR & SMG or BR & DMR.

They stated the OG shotgun is more of a power weapon and they wanted to make one that wasnt. Makes my believe that the OG will return in the future, maybe an update.

The article I read said the shot gun was being replaced… Hopefully that isn’t so and we can have both. There is no reason why we can’t have both.

> 2533274887875135;15:
> They stated the OG shotgun is more of a power weapon and they wanted to make one that wasnt. Makes my believe that the OG will return in the future, maybe an update.

> 2533274816788253;16:
> The article I read said the shot gun was being replaced… Hopefully that isn’t so and we can have both. There is no reason why we can’t have both.

Again, I’d like someone to show me an actual quote of anyone from 343 saying that the OG shotgun will not return in Halo Infinite at day one. If that exists I missed it.
But from the January update, what I understood is that the shotgun in past Halo multiplayer games was basically a power weapon, in the sense that usually there was only one per map and people would have to fight for it.

So, in order to allow more people to play close-ranged combat in multiplayer maps, they’re making a less powerful, more plentiful, version of the shotgun, like arguably the DMR is a less powerful version of the Sniper Rifle but was never intended to replace it. It won’t be a one-shot kill, like the shotgun, but it will have a better rate of fire and reload rate.

The shotgun has never been overpowered in any of the halos games. With the fact that 343 has already said the bulldog will be less powerful and more plentiful I feel like it they r basically taking away any form of useful shotgun. Sounds like we will be run in around with a single mauler. (Useless) As someone who really enjoyed the shotgun we had this is yet another let down.

tbh we need a change in gameplay having the same weapons would get boring easy besides 343 needed to rework the shotgun they said so themselves i just hope for good though the bulldog looks cool and looks to have a decent range

It was in the January Inside Infinite update on Thursday, in the news section. I don’t think they straight up said word for word they’re removing the classic shotgun for the bulldog but the way they talk about it sounds that way. I was really hoping that wasn’t the case after the demo reveal. If it is, I have a feeling the same will go for the sidekick replacing the magnum. I would’ve been all down for the sidekick and bulldog if they were additions but it seems like they’re replacements which I’m not a fan of. I really hope that they at least get added in post launch.