Buff Sniper weapons in Spartan Ops/Campaign

If you’ve played Spartan Ops or Campaign, then you probably know that the Sniper Rifle and Beam Rifle are next to useless on higher difficulties; even on Normal, these weapons are little more than novelties. It takes 2 hits to kill any type of Elite and as many as 2-4 hits to take down a Knight.

The problem is the first shot only breaks through their shields, even if it is a perfect headshot. You have to follow up with a second shot to actually kill them; I think a perfect headshot should be able to kill them outright, not just take out their shields. It’s like this for every type of Elite, even Minors, and even on Normal and Easy difficulties.

The Binary Rifle is the only somewhat useful sniper weapon in Spartan Ops, as it kills Elites with a single headshot; unfortunately, it doesn’t appear that often, and is much less useful against Promethean Knights (who are far more difficult to headshot).

What we need is the Sniper Rifle & Beam Rifle buffed to kill any type of Elite or Knight with a single headshot. That would make them considerably more useful in the single-player/co-op aspects of Halo 4; more so than any previous Halo game, in fact.

Spartan Ops & Campaign haven’t been getting enough support as it is; at least do this for the single-player & co-op fans of Halo.

It’s supposed to be this way.

I agree. I never really saw a reason to carry any other weapons except for a BR/DMR/Carbine/Light Rifle and a Plasma Pistol. The scarcity of power weapons and their ammo is not compensated by damage output.

> It’s supposed to be this way.

So what you’re saying is sniper weapons are supposed to be useless?

You could 1-shot Elite minors with the Sniper Rifle in Halo:Reach. You could one-shot Brute minors and even Brute Captains in Halo 3 (though for some reason not in Halo 3:ODST).

In their current state, snipers are only good against unshielded enemies like Grunts and Jackals; and why bother, when you can take of them just as easy with a DMR or Battle Rifle? That makes sniper weapons completely redundant in Campaign and Spartan Ops, and I pretty sure they’re not supposed to be that way.

I’d like a Spartan ops weapon weapons update. Promethean weapons should do more damage due to having less ammo available.

> I’d like a Spartan ops weapon weapons update. Promethean weapons should do more damage due to having less ammo available.

Well, that and they are weapons from an advanced civilization.

I agree that the sniper and beam rifles should get a bump in power in campaign and Ops. I also agree that the sniper rifle should be able to take an Elite down with a headshot … but not the Knights. I’d say 2 to 4 shots to down a Knight depending on their station/rank … maybe more.

They were created by an advance civilization to battle the flood. Their durability should be considerably higher than any members of the Covenant who simply adapted and re-engineered Forerunner tech for their usage.

Who’s to say the Covies haven’t advanced their shielding and Snipers now need two rounds to kill? And the Knights are supposed to take longer, this is a given.

EDIT: I’m fairly sure minor elites take one headshot still, perhaps legendary isn’t. Can’t remember.

> <mark>Who’s to say the Covies haven’t advanced their shielding and Snipers now need two rounds to kill?</mark> And the Knights are supposed to take longer, this is a given.
>
> EDIT: I’m fairly sure minor elites take one headshot still, perhaps legendary isn’t. Can’t remember.

You’d be wrong. I play on Normal all the time; you cannot 1-shot an Elite Minor even with a perfect headshot. I haven’t played on Easy, but I don’t think it’s possible even on that difficulty.

Elite Minors, Officers, Warriors, and Rangers all take 2 shots to kill. The Zealot has stronger shields than any of them, so he may take even more; I haven’t had the chance to test the Sniper Rifle on a Zealot.

EDIT: The Assault Rifle can now kill even an Elite Zealot or Knight Battlewagon with just 1 clip; where as it took nearly 2-3 clips in Halo 3 and Halo:Reach. So if the Covenant advance their shield technology to protect against snipers, than why is it easier to kill them with basic assault weapons than before?

I agree, they definitely need a buff.

The game is not hard. I play the higher difficulties because I don’t want my hand held. If you don’t want it to be difficult don’t set it up to be difficult.

How is two shots useless?

Halo 2’s campaign sniper rifle is my favorite.

This problem most likely exists due to the engine that is used.For some reason, even in past halo’s they could not adjust weapons to fit the campaign and multiplayer.

What i mean is if they buffed the sniper for SpOps, the damage buff would transfer over to multiplayer.Meaning that when they buffed the damage for the assault rifle, it was also buffed in campaign and SpOps.Same goes for the precision rifles.This is why the weapons in the sandbox works very well in normal mode.Since it was balanced for multiplayer.

To the uncertainty over whether a elite minor would die with a headshot on normal and easy, the answer is yes.It is a single headshot on elite major as well as far as i am aware.Heroic difficulty 1 headshot on minors, not sure of the rest.On legendary its 2 shots to kill promethean knights with binary and 3 to kill battlewagons.

In short, they cannot change the properties of the weapons for just SpOps since it would unbalance the barely balanced multiplayer.Otherwise, i am certain they would have done so beforehand.Ever wonder why the ammo reserve on weapons is the same in multiplayer,campaign, and SpOps?Even though the ammo reserve count for campaign and SpOps is too low in comparison with enemy’s?

Now you know.

> The game is not hard. I play the higher difficulties because I don’t want my hand held. If you don’t want it to be difficult don’t set it up to be difficult.

I’m playing on Normal, genius.

I’m not complaining that it’s too hard, I’m saying that Sniper Rifle should be able to kill an Elite with a single headshot, or there’s no point in even picking it up.

> How is two shots useless?

Bear in mind that the Sniper Rifle carries less reserve ammo than any previous Halo game, and ammo is often scarce; especially in Campaign.

The problem is the Sniper Rifle as a weapon is redundant in Spartan Ops and Campaign; even more so in Spartan Ops, where you often have limitless refills for basic weapons like the Battle Rifle, DMR, Assault Rifle, and Carbine… all of which are much more effective and easier to use. There is no point to picking up the Sniper Rifle.

> > <mark>Who’s to say the Covies haven’t advanced their shielding and Snipers now need two rounds to kill?</mark> And the Knights are supposed to take longer, this is a given.
> >
> > EDIT: I’m fairly sure minor elites take one headshot still, perhaps legendary isn’t. Can’t remember.
>
> You’d be wrong. I play on Normal all the time; you cannot 1-shot an Elite Minor even with a perfect headshot. I haven’t played on Easy, but I don’t think it’s possible even on that difficulty.
>
> Elite Minors, Officers, Warriors, and Rangers all take 2 shots to kill. The Zealot has stronger shields than any of them, so he may take even more; I haven’t had the chance to test the Sniper Rifle on a Zealot.
>
> EDIT: The Assault Rifle can now kill even an Elite Zealot or Knight Battlewagon with just 1 clip; where as it took nearly 2-3 clips in Halo 3 and Halo:Reach. So if the Covenant advance their shield technology to protect against snipers, than why is it easier to kill them with basic assault weapons than before?

It doesn’t use clips…

> This problem most likely exists due to the engine that is used.For some reason, even in past halo’s they could not adjust weapons to fit the campaign and multiplayer.
>
> What i mean is if they buffed the sniper for SpOps, the damage buff would transfer over to multiplayer. <mark>Meaning that when they buffed the damage for the assault rifle, it was also buffed in campaign and SpOps.Same goes for the precision rifles.This is why the weapons in the sandbox works very well in normal mode.Since it was balanced for multiplayer.</mark>
>
> To the uncertainty over whether a elite minor would die with a headshot on normal and easy, the answer is yes.It is a single headshot on elite major as well as far as i am aware.Heroic difficulty 1 headshot on minors, not sure of the rest.On legendary its 2 shots to kill promethean knights with binary and 3 to kill battlewagons.
>
> In short, they cannot change the properties of the weapons for just SpOps since it would unbalance the barely balanced multiplayer.Otherwise, i am certain they would have done so beforehand.Ever wonder why the ammo reserve on weapons is the same in multiplayer,campaign, and SpOps?Even though the ammo reserve count for campaign and SpOps is too low in comparison with enemy’s?
>
> Now you know.

You do realize that the Weapon Tuning update was NOT applied to Spartan Ops or Campaign?

In other words, they altered the properties of the weapons in Multiplayer with no effect on their single-player/co-op counterparts. I see no reason they can’t do it the other way around.

BTW, the only thing they need to change is to boost headshot damage with sniper weapons; this wouldn’t make much of a difference in multiplayer, except maybe Overshields wouldn’t be as effective a defense against Sniper Rifles…

Lastly, I typically play on Normal, and I know for a fact that it takes 2 shots to kill an Elite Minor on that difficulty; same goes for Majors, Warriors, and Rangers. The only sniper weapon that kills Elites with a single headshot is the Binary Rifle.

> BTW, the only thing they need to change is to boost headshot damage with sniper weapons

…you mean boost it from killing in one hit up to… killing in 0.5 hits?

> > BTW, the only thing they need to change is to boost headshot damage with sniper weapons
>
> …you mean boost it from killing in one hit up to… killing in 0.5 hits?

facepalm

I mean boost headshot damage so that sniper weapons kill Elites in Campaign & Spartan Ops with 1 headshot instead of 2.

Read before posting.

> > > BTW, the only thing they need to change is to boost headshot damage with sniper weapons
> >
> > …you mean boost it from killing in one hit up to… killing in 0.5 hits?
>
> facepalm
>
> I mean boost headshot damage so that sniper weapons kill Elites in Campaign & Spartan Ops with 1 headshot instead of 2.
>
> Read before posting.

But, it only takes one shot. Takes one shot from all precision weapons. Hasn’t been any Halo game where it requires more then a single headshot to kill someone.

> > > > BTW, the only thing they need to change is to boost headshot damage with sniper weapons
> > >
> > > …you mean boost it from killing in one hit up to… killing in 0.5 hits?
> >
> > facepalm
> >
> > I mean boost headshot damage so that sniper weapons kill Elites in Campaign & Spartan Ops with 1 headshot instead of 2.
> >
> > Read before posting.
>
> But, it only takes one shot. Takes one shot from all precision weapons. Hasn’t been any Halo game where it requires more then a single headshot to kill someone.

Halo 1 Zealot elites can take multiple sniper rounds to the head, especially at higher difficulties. This is largely due to shields though.

Binary Rifle is also largely useless in campaign due to fact 2-shotting some promi’s in the face doesn’t even kill them.

Only game where I’ve felt compelled to carry an auto-matic and a precision rifle the entire tire, because everything else rarely feels worth it.