Buck Should've Been Osiris Leader

Here’s my reasoning. Halo 5 had a lackluster story written for it. The lore was heavily included and yet shallow. The game’s pacing was breakneck speed and yet when I was done, I felt like I hadn’t even started. There was no closure, not even a real engaging cliffhanger. Even for Legendary, which I’ve seen. It just wasn’t written well. The only character that I would dare say everyone knew, besides Chief, was Buck. Blue Team of course, would only be known by hardcore fans who read The Fall of Reach. And they just appear in game so Master Chief can basically have the same AI revive function that Osiris has.
Then there is Locke. Cool armor, cool visual opposite to the Chief, and we know he is a survivor, he’s a tough guy. But that’s it! I literally learned nothing new about him. Something absolutely horrible could’ve happened to him in the story and I would have basically had the same reaction as when I accidentally splatter an AI Marine. “Oops. Oh well.”
Same goes for his team, except Buck.
It’s pretty obvious to me that 343 is all about the market, and Chief is old. Halo has pretty much been rebooted visually, musically, and just artistically in general under 343i’s watch. I’m not a big fan of all this new -Yoink-, so count me as a fan holding on to strings better left to fray. I want Halo to work and sell and keep being enjoyable but it’s slipping. Multiplayer is good this time, fun to play, but it is lacking in content.
Anyway, Halo is pretty much a reboot now, and Locke is obviously runner-up to the Halo throne. We played as him the whole damn time. The Chief missions were few and far between, leaving me bored (story-wise) the whole time. Gameplay was good so no issues there.
But 343. For the love of God, if you want a leader, a proven leader, to be the new main character and if you want to force us to play as someone other than John-freaking-117, then why was it not NATHAN FILLION? AKA, “BUCK.”
Think about this, guys. He’s had is own game. He is likeable, he is a survivor, he’s funny, he’s had some development in the Halo world already. He should have been the one in Locke’s position. What better story could you have than this guy who went from ODST to Spartan having to try and bring in THE Master Chief? Can you imagine how he would feel? He wouldn’t feel worthy, that’s for sure. But he’d do his best and he would sure as hell make it interesting the whole time. Everything would have been better this way. Buck and Osiris hunting down the lone Chief. Mid-game we get a quick intro to Blue Team, who decides they want to find Chief, too. They go with Buck and Osiris, and then help the Chief escape when Buck actually finds him. I could write a whole detailed script here, but the point is, 343 had an ace up there sleeve and they made him the background, “oh I know that guy” comic relief when he could have really cranked this game up. Maybe Locke couldve been the background “Oh that dude is from Nightfall” face. I mean I wouldve felt much better playing as Buck for most of H5 rather than Locke, if it had to be that someone is going to take Halo’s reins. The point is, Buck is marketable and he’s a more fleshed out character than Locke. Locke has done nothing to earn the lead role of this game, he just appeared as if he is the new Combat Evolved. I’m pretty sure that’s what they were going for, but I just aint buying it. Buck would’ve made for a much more interesting story. His interactions with every single character could have been so much fun and a performance unrivaled in Halo thus far.

Read Halo: First Blood.

It’s all right there why Buck didn’t lead Osiris.

The story wasn’t too bad but I did find Locke to be an uninspired character. The story was about Cortana going ape -Yoink-, and yet the Chief her companion was a secondary character?!?

No, but he would have been a good 2nd to Thorne.

> 2533274803137071;2:
> Read Halo: First Blood.
>
> It’s all right there why Buck didn’t lead Osiris.

*New Blood
But aside from that, yes. Buck doesnt want to lead a squad anymore. And rather than just being bland, Locke’s pretty equatable to a cinnamon roll.

Buck didn’t need to be the team leader. The story just needed to be well written with interesting characters…

none of the characters in this game were well written. When 343i decided to tell an ensemble story, they should have looked to ODST and Reach for guidance. With those titles we ended up caring for all the characters, even though they were new to the Universe.

> 2676692992818466;6:
> Buck didn’t need to be the team leader. The story just needed to be well written with interesting characters…
>
> none of the characters in this game were well written. When 343i decided to tell an ensemble story, they should have looked to ODST and Reach for guidance. With those titles we ended up caring for all the characters, even though they were new to the Universe.

ODST, yes. In Reach, the only one who got adequately developed was Jorge. Osiris was infinitely better developed than Noble, though Blue wasn’t as much.

> 2533274932540799;7:
> > 2676692992818466;6:
> > Buck didn’t need to be the team leader. The story just needed to be well written with interesting characters…
> >
> > none of the characters in this game were well written. When 343i decided to tell an ensemble story, they should have looked to ODST and Reach for guidance. With those titles we ended up caring for all the characters, even though they were new to the Universe.
>
>
> ODST, yes. In Reach, the only one who got adequately developed was Jorge. Osiris was infinitely better developed than Noble, though Blue wasn’t as much.

Idk. When you decide to pause and actually explore. Osiris Team had a lot of side banter that actually built up a lot of the character development and I actually grew to like Osiris a lot more then Kilo-Five for they get pretty in depth with it all.

Problem is that they took a battlefield bad company approach to it all so a lot of people actually miss out on about 80% of this banter.

The same with Blue. But their banter was more on the mission on hand and a little remembering past operations. And not as much trying to get to know your team like Osiris for Blue team had been working together for decades. Unlike Locke’s team that was thrown together before that op to snatch halsey

> 2533274932540799;5:
> > 2533274803137071;2:
> > Read Halo: First Blood.
> >
> > It’s all right there why Buck didn’t lead Osiris.
>
>
> *New Blood
> But aside from that, yes. Buck doesnt want to lead a squad anymore. And rather than just being bland, Locke’s pretty equatable to a cinnamon roll.

This is part of the problem, I have to read things I’ve never heard of to get the details like this? I’m a big fan, I read Fall of Reach, Glasslands, Ghosts of Onyx. But I barely have time for all that anymore. It used to be the games were enough and the books were supplements. Now it seems like the games are the supplements to the books.

Hopefully Locke dies in Halo 6 (yeah right.)

I honestly like locke, to me he acts like a true soldier thats serious about his objectives, i dont know whats everyone’s problem with him.

Buck seems like a comic relief rather than a leader.

> 2533274857642512;9:
> > 2533274932540799;5:
> > > 2533274803137071;2:
> > > Read Halo: First Blood.
> > >
> > > It’s all right there why Buck didn’t lead Osiris.
> >
> >
> > *New Blood
> > But aside from that, yes. Buck doesnt want to lead a squad anymore. And rather than just being bland, Locke’s pretty equatable to a cinnamon roll.
>
>
> This is part of the problem, I have to read things I’ve never heard of to get the details like this? I’m a big fan, I read Fall of Reach, Glasslands, Ghosts of Onyx. But I barely have time for all that anymore. It used to be the games were enough and the books were supplements. Now it seems like the games are the supplements to the books.

I mean you had to read the books to understand who Blue Team is to begin with (despite the fact it was dumbed down explained in-game), or how Chief got from Halo CE to Halo 2, or how Chief got from Halo 2 to Halo 3.

> 2676692992818466;6:
> Buck didn’t need to be the team leader. The story just needed to be well written with interesting characters…
>
> none of the characters in this game were well written. When 343i decided to tell an ensemble story, they should have looked to ODST and Reach for guidance. With those titles we ended up caring for all the characters, even though they were new to the Universe.

This is important right here. I didn’t give a flying F about Osiris Team (except Buck) and I didn’t know Blue Team at all (other than what I read on Halo wiki). This game’s campaign failed to make me care about anyone at all.

Hell, look at Halo:CE. I actually care about the witty marines. They’re absent in Halo 5’s campaign and the Warzone marines have more personality than the crappy colonial knock off variants.

If Buck was a leader, what would we do without his smart alec comments.

Buck is smart…Be more like Buck

> 2533274803137071;2:
> Read Halo: First Blood.
>
> It’s all right there why Buck didn’t lead Osiris.

LMAO. That’s what happens when you don’t do research.

The story should have gone like this blue team needs to get chief back and in place of chief you got Jun or Noble 6 which would have been dope or you should have put buck in charge like at least give us a decent character we can feel for like chief was a hard -Yoink- but he cares you can tell with locke I feel like he has a stick up his butt 24/7 and doesn’t really care he didn’t pull me into the story like chief did or Noble six hell even if they would have used rookie from odst that would have been cool

Please don’t revive old topics, thanks, especially ones that are over 2 years old