BTB as a Random: A 10 game sample size

The purpose of this is for fun. Don’t read if you don’t care. I went into BTB by myself and managed to jot down (using notepad on my laptop) as much as I could remember from each game, while waiting for the next. I did not vote for any of these maps. At the end of this post is a small summary containing a percentage of deaths via power weapons, deaths via vehicles, and how often each map was picked.

As for my playstyle, I am cautious and often the support guy. Rarely will I get up in the middle of maps like Vortex or Exile unless I have a Saw, Rockets, FRG or something of the sort, and I will always run if I’m out numbered. I do not use the boltshot or plasma pistol, and despite the playlist featuring vehicles, as easy as it is to pile up kills with the Gauss/Scorpion/Wraith (the Wraith was my 2nd ToD in Reach) I prefer finding ways to destroy them in H4. I use a DMR/AR/Thruster Pack loadout for all maps.

<mark>Analysis:</mark>

Game 1 - JiP’d into the 520-320 losing end of a Longbow match. I’m spawned by Blue Team rockets, and catching DMR fire instantly. I finish the game at 7-4, my only ordinance is spartan laser/grav hammer combo, and every death I suffer is by binary rifle or unsc sniper. We lose 1000-820. I spent most of this game on the run and ducking sniper fire of all kinds. Typical JiP game.

Game 2 - Vortex, I’m almost killed by Red Team’s ghost, who comes all the way across the map, as I rush Blue Team Sniper. This blows my mind, as Red Team Sniper is right there in front of them while ours is a mile away. I recall dying with a few sniper rounds left some time later, killed by an Incinerator Cannon from across the map that hits a wall behind me, and returning to find my rifle despawned within 5 seconds. Fighting in the caves I probably survived 3 or 4 panic sticky attempts thanks to Thruster Pack. Unfortunately a carefully played 11-4 game goes down as a 1000-980 loss. I’m killed via Incinerator Cannon, sticky grenade, saw and a binary rifle in this game.

Game 3 - Exile, Red Team. I rush banshee and find 4 blue team players there, which is a beautiful thing, meaning we will definitely grab the tank. We grab a 200-70 lead. Tank driver winds up with a rampage, 28 total kills. I go 10-4 mostly defending the middle caves with an AR. Killed twice by rocket launcher, sticky grenade and I think either BR or DMR. My lone ordinance option is needler, pulse nades and speed boost, which I don’t even bother with.

Game 4 - Ragnarok, Blue Team. Pick up half a dozen kills in the field by Rocket Spawn, then retrieve a sniper via ordinance and retreat for a few more kills. I’m killed by a banshee bomb, lose my sniper, and take to the pelican to pick up several assists and kills, en route to another ordinance sniper. Another killing spree, and we win 1000-950. I finish at 17-4, banshee bombed, sniped twice and dotted in the head once by a DMR/BR, but 2 ordinance snipers later post a great and efficient K/D.

Game 5 - Vortex, Blue Team. Rush snipes, and almost killed by Red Team ghost again. I work the outside of the map, first ordinance is a binary rifle which I wait to retrieve once my sniper ammo is depleted. Two shots into my promethean sniper I’m blindsided by a wraith mortar. My binary gun is picked up by a team mate. While continuing to stay clear of the middle/kill zone and working the outside of the map a sniper spawns near me. I recover and get back to work. We win 1000-880. I finish at 14-1, the wraith mortar having been my only death while I can admit that most of my unsc sniper ammo was used to weaken enemy vehicles that I refused to let dominate (seemed like the enemies had the Rocket Hog/Wraith every time they respawned).

Game 6 - Back to Exile, Red Team. I notice right off the bat this game is vs a full team in party chat, very high ranks (aka a lot of time put into the game). I rush banshee, and wind up dead via Gauss before I make it to the mouth of the cave. Instant respawn puts me near the man cannon to Red Base and before I can actually get to the cannon I’m Gauss’d to death again. This time I wait 5 secs on the spawn and wind up at the Tank spawn. A glance out of the cave near shotgun spawn reveals that Blue Team also somehow has the Scorpion. I toss DMR at a camo kid up in mid, and he likely calls me out as I’m blown to -Yoink- by the scorpion a few seconds later. A fourth attempt to set up a position and camp it behind cover (beneath banshee spawn) results in a 3v1 that I lose in a heartbeat. I am 0-4, and the score reads 340-80 when I finally quit a game that was over before it started.

Game 7 - Ragnarok, Red Team. I miss snipes and railgun, die twice via Mantis/Rockets, but double back after a few kills of my own in time to retrieve sniper2, most of which is used to bring down the Mantis. Snipes gone, I’m back in the field, until I can recovery a binary rifle and pick up a few more long distance kills. Despite a 12-3 effort we lost this game 1000-960.

Game 8 - Ragnarok, Red Team. I’m getting tired of this map. I miss snipes, get a few good shots on the Mantis via railgun, then pick up 3 headcases before dying by Mantis (while within the caves). Returning to the caves I find a team mate who died with me dropped a laser, which I finish the Mantis with. At Rocket Spawn I kill a binary rifle user with rockets on his back, but both despawn before I can get there. I double back to base, Snipes2 is mine as it spawns 130 secs into the match. From my perch I’m banshee bombed eventually but recover my unsc sniper ammo, which I use to take out the banshee to prevent another bombing. My luck with finding good shots is gone this game, and I’m mostly on foot using my DMR. Finish at 13-2 in a 1000-920 losing effort.

Game 9 - Exile, Red Team. I’m hesitant to rush banshee, but do so anyway. The Gauss just misses me, and 2 kills later I’m airborne. A frenzy is had before I drop out, and after cleaning up with 2 DMR kills I die via rockets that I think came from banshee spawn to mid where I was supporting team mates. The score is 490-190 at this point. I have ordinance, it’s damage boost but I can’t find a target. After getting sniped I make my way over near the shotgun spawn and kill an FRG camper under the bridge. I don’t blame him for camping during a landslide, and he quits right after I kill him. His FRG is used effectively to grab an overkill. Game is a slaughter, I finish at 23-3 … deaths via rockets, snipes and a frag late in the game.

Game 10 - Vortex, Blue Team. I swear if my team mates do not support me during the rush to snipes I’m going to actually plug in my mic and cuss them all out. And they don’t. I’m killed via ghost from Red Team. A return to where I died in an attempt to recover snipes sees me dead via someone coming through the cave that I become aware of a few seconds too late, and I lose the DMR battle 5 shots to 4. A third spawn, and as I help a team mate take out a pesky ghost driver I’m stunned as my own comrade jumps in the near wrecked thing and purposely runs me over (with the score at an early 130-120 wtf?). With no support on the initial power weapon rush, and obvious betrayals I decide to quit. As much as I like to play Vortex, it’s obvious that this is not the lot to do it with.

And here is the aforementioned summary:

K/D (3.34)
W/L (4-4)

% of Incomplete: 20%
% of death by vehicle: 31.3%
% of death by PW: 43.8%
% Valhalla voted: 30%
% Exile voted: 30%
% Vortex voted: 30%

Things I noticed:

• Sniper kills seemed to translate into ordinance with sniper options.

• I only experienced lag two or three times during this 10 game run. This is unheard of.

• I believe both games I quit out of were justified. I will never understand why the game matches randoms with full teams. And had I been given the option to boot during Game 10, I may have stayed in. However I was already irritated with the lack of players who had no idea where the Sniper was, and that they should be rushing it.

• This sample size is a great indicator of why W/L is pointless when you play by yourself. A 3.3 K/D, tons of assists/support medals and just a 4-4 record.

• I’m shocked that Vortex was picked as much as it was, but not surprised that Valhalla/Exile were picked 60% of the time.

Hmm I killed a guy that was crouched behind some crates in the middle area of Longbow with a Gravity Hammer and a Spartan Laser earlier today in a match. I wonder if it was you…

> Hmm I killed a guy that was crouched behind some crates in the middle area of Longbow with a Gravity Hammer and a Spartan Laser earlier today in a match. I wonder if it was you…

I have one grav hammer kill in this game. lol

Those were ordinance options on Longbow. I never went with any of them.

> > Hmm I killed a guy that was crouched behind some crates in the middle area of Longbow with a Gravity Hammer and a Spartan Laser earlier today in a match. I wonder if it was you…
>
> I have one grav hammer kill in this game. lol
>
> Those were ordinance options on Longbow. I never went with any of them.

Ah ok, sorry I misread it as those were the 2 weapons you had equipped in that first match.

> .

BTB is the definition of a “whatever” playlist, although I never see guests like I used to in Reach/H3.

I probably should have said W/L in BTB. A lot of people think W/L is a way to judge a player’s ability. In playlists like BTB where there’s more people to plague your 13-2 effort, W/L means squat IMO.

> > > Hmm I killed a guy that was crouched behind some crates in the middle area of Longbow with a Gravity Hammer and a Spartan Laser earlier today in a match. I wonder if it was you…
> >
> > I have one grav hammer kill in this game. lol
> >
> > Those were ordinance options on Longbow. I never went with any of them.
>
> Ah ok, sorry I misread it as those were the 2 weapons you had equipped in that first match.

Nah. I am pretty sure there were no vehicles to use the laser on and the grav hammer… lol i never use those.

I seriously spent the whole game running without a shield. The opposition has map control for sure.

I hate getting JiP’d into games but thats usually how they go.

Back in Halo 3 I went on a 17 game winning streak as a random in BTB. Granted there’s a small statistical chance of that happening regardless of skill but I think there is a point to make that Win/Loss can be taken in BTB on an individual basis as you can make up for a team’s worth of deficiencies (or at the very least make enough of a contribution that on average you win more with a group than loose. It might just take more games to factor our the effect of large team size but with enough your stats might become valid.) For that best case scenario, though, you just have to be a very big team player (ie. go for more than just kills.)

> Back in Halo 3 I went on a 17 game winning streak as a random in BTB. Granted there’s a small statistical chance of that happening regardless of skill but I think there is a point to make that Win/Loss can be taken in BTB on an individual basis as you can make up for a team’s worth of deficiencies (or at the very least make enough of a contribution that on average you win more with a group than loose. It might just take more games to factor our the effect of large team size but with enough your stats might become valid.) For that best case scenario, though, you just have to be a very big team player (ie. go for more than just kills.)

I’m not much of a driver myself so I stay clear of hogs. That said when sniping I go with body shots if I see a team mate and foe fighting. I’m notorious for stripping shields off those on the hill on Valhalla and letting others clean up with the DMR. The assist conmendation was the first that I maxed.

In my own personal opinion someone going 12-4 ish on foot in BTB is a solid contributor. If you wind up in a banshee, Gauss or Scorpion i would expect more kills but then again with the plasma pistol/stickies in loadouts…

Went in to some BTB for the lols today,

Best game was 29 kills in the Scorpion with a group of randoms, and being on the red team! At no point did my team get the Gauss or the Banshee, pretty much all my kills were folk coming at me in vehicles as the folks on foot were camping their butts off where I couldn’t get to them :frowning:

In about 10 games I played, won about 8 or so games but it was either Ragnarok or Exile…

> Went in to some BTB for the lols today,
>
> Best game was 29 kills in the Scorpion with a group of randoms, and being on the red team! At no point did my team get the Gauss or the Banshee, pretty much all my kills were folk coming at me in vehicles as the folks on foot were camping their butts off where I couldn’t get to them :frowning:
>
> In about 10 games I played, won about 8 or so games but it was either Ragnarok or Exile…

One of the reasons i’ve avoided the Gauss/Tank is because of the lack of support/drivers. Gauss drivers are idiots, and the tank moves too slow to avoid plasma pistols. That said if i am in a banshee or on foot and notice a good tank driver I will sit nearby and pick off plasma pistol enthusiasts.

Ragnarok… i believe i played it a few more times after this “study” and then i started backing out of lobbies to avoid it. The map just gets old and the combat never changes… at least with the others there are CQC areas and stuff.

> > Went in to some BTB for the lols today,
> >
> > Best game was 29 kills in the Scorpion with a group of randoms, and being on the red team! At no point did my team get the Gauss or the Banshee, pretty much all my kills were folk coming at me in vehicles as the folks on foot were camping their butts off where I couldn’t get to them :frowning:
> >
> > In about 10 games I played, won about 8 or so games but it was either Ragnarok or Exile…
>
> One of the reasons i’ve avoided the Gauss/Tank is because of the lack of support/drivers. Gauss drivers are idiots, and the tank moves too slow to avoid plasma pistols. That said if i am in a banshee or on foot and notice a good tank driver I will sit nearby and pick off plasma pistol enthusiasts.
>
> Ragnarok… i believe i played it a few more times after this “study” and then i started backing out of lobbies to avoid it. The map just gets old and the combat never changes… at least with the others there are CQC areas and stuff.

I do this on exile and I despise that map. I hate vehicles in general and this map pisses me off to no end.

> > > Went in to some BTB for the lols today,
> > >
> > > Best game was 29 kills in the Scorpion with a group of randoms, and being on the red team! At no point did my team get the Gauss or the Banshee, pretty much all my kills were folk coming at me in vehiicles as the folks on foot were camping their butts off where I couldn’t get to them :frowning:
> > >
> > > In about 10 games I played, won about 8 or so games but it was either Ragnarok or Exile…
> >
> > One of the reasons i’ve avoided the Gauss/Tank is because of the lack of support/drivers. Gauss drivers are idiots, and the tank moves too slow to avoid plasma pistols. That said if i am in a banshee or on foot and notice a good tank driver I will sit nearby and pick off plasma pistol enthusiasts.
> >
> > Ragnarok… i believe i played it a few more times after this “study” and then i started backing out of lobbies to avoid it. The map just gets old and the combat never changes… at least with the others there are CQC areas and stuff.
>
> I do this on exile and I despise that map. I hate vehicles in general and this map pisses me off to no end.

Why are you in BTB if you hate vehicles??

What was the percentage of your loadout weapon deaths.

how did you get to play on vortex… MORE THAN ONCE???

I dont get it?

Your quitting was not justified. You stay in games you go positive but quit a game your going negative to save your kd.

I hate people who waste snipe rounds on vehicles that arnt really close to death. I hate people on my team doing it and I hate the other team doing it

> > > > Went in to some BTB for the lols today,
> > > >
> > > > Best game was 29 kills in the Scorpion with a group of randoms, and being on the red team! At no point did my team get the Gauss or the Banshee, pretty much all my kills were folk coming at me in vehiicles as the folks on foot were camping their butts off where I couldn’t get to them :frowning:
> > > >
> > > > In about 10 games I played, won about 8 or so games but it was either Ragnarok or Exile…
> > >
> > > One of the reasons i’ve avoided the Gauss/Tank is because of the lack of support/drivers. Gauss drivers are idiots, and the tank moves too slow to avoid plasma pistols. That said if i am in a banshee or on foot and notice a good tank driver I will sit nearby and pick off plasma pistol enthusiasts.
> > >
> > > Ragnarok… i believe i played it a few more times after this “study” and then i started backing out of lobbies to avoid it. The map just gets old and the combat never changes… at least with the others there are CQC areas and stuff.
> >
> > I do this on exile and I despise that map. I hate vehicles in general and this map pisses me off to no end.
>
> Why are you in BTB if you hate vehicles??

Because it’s the only playlist that has 8v8.

> What was the percentage of your loadout weapon deaths.

I have no idea … the notes are long gone.

However, from the summary it looks like around 75% (44% vehicle, 31% PW) of my deaths were via power weapon or vehicle, which means 25% or less came via loadout weapon. I say less because I may of been melee’d to death one or twice.

All in all it’s still pretty sad that loadout weapons were the least cause of death. Fiesta Power Weapon Slayer, anyone?

> how did you get to play on vortex… MORE THAN ONCE???

I know, right? 3 out of 10 games … that has to be some kind of record.

Really though, I rarely see guests and noobs via trueskill, and a lot of smarter/better players tend to vote for the cooler maps.