Broken Halo 4 Elements, And How 5 Can Fix It

343 continued Halo 4 in the direction that Bungie took Halo Reach with armor abilities and whatnot. Halo 4 was the natural progression of mechanics introduced into Reach. However, there was a large number in the community that didn’t care for Reach (including me), and the player count began to drop for that game. So naturally, when 343 released Halo 4 and it was discovered to be Halo Reach on steroids, a lot of people were pissed and quit immediately. I personally played the game for about 5 months before dropping out. Halo 4 had some very fundamental problems.

Multiplayer

1- The introduction of loadouts and ordinance drops made the game fundamentally imbalanced. Halo is traditionally built on the strong foundation of teamwork, controlling power weapons, and holding strategic areas on maps. This no longer became the foundation, as anyone could randomly appear with an incineration cannon or binary rifle without you having any knowledge of them having it. To make matters worse, people could now see through walls, cloak from the start, or spawn with a weapon that when charged would instantly kill anyone within 5 feet. It was stupid.

2- Every player having sprint brought with it larger maps. Larger maps are fun for certain game types, but not every single one. Want to play 4 v 4 no radar? It’s going to take 5 minutes before you find anyone to kill because the maps are so damn large. These maps made for fantastic Big Team battles, but anyone looking for a classic Halo experience would have to look elsewhere. Players often would have to sprint to where they knew a battle was happening and just so they could find people, whereas in previous games, you could be within killing distance of a grenade within seconds after spawning.

3- The ranking system was terrible. This is perhaps the most tragic development of Halo games that began with Reach. The ranking system has nothing to do with skill, but rather a stupid rank based on time played in the game. Halo 4 took the worst part of Reach, and actually made it even worse. It was WAY too easy to progress in Halo 4, and anyone would ultimately reach the top tier if they played enough. It wasn’t until months after launch that 343 finally added a skill rank, but they refused to show it in game and forced players to go to waypoint to see their rank. Wut?

4- Medals for every damn thing. Way too many medals for stupid, easy tasks. It detracts from their significance when anyone can walk out of a match with 12+ medals for things that people shouldn’t even get medals for. If the previews for Master Chief Collection are any indication, they have not addressed this. It appears that you can get up to 5 medals for a single kill…

Campaign

• The combat ladder was broken. Halo is and always has been a very strategic shooter. The superb design and well constructed enemy AI forces the player to think strategically throughout the game, and engage enemies depending on the situation and environment. In Halo 4, the best way to engage the forerunners is to first take out the watchers, and kill every enemy from a distance with a long range weapon. What’s worse is that the Knights are the only class that drop a weapon worth picking up, and even then, it’s just a simplistic skin/alternative to an already existing human weapon. This made the combat with the Forerunners repetitive and boring.- The enemy AI needs a drastic overhaul for the situations that 343 wants us to play in. The game constantly allows the player the option of engaging from long, sweeping distances. In previous Halo games, when the player would find himself on a map with a large draw distance, rarely would you be able to attack the enemy and kill every single one with the weapon the developers equipped you with. You would often find yourself with nothing but a pistol with enough ammo to maybe take out an elite and a couple grunts, but you would ultimately have to get close and personal with your assault rifle to finish the job. Not so in Halo 4. Constantly, 343 would give you the option of having both the pistol AND a battle rifle with adequate ammo to kill an army of enemies. Halo 4 introduced distances to enemies not before capable in other games. At these distances, the enemy would literally sit while you shot at them. It wasn’t until you got closer that the enemy registered that you were killing them and they would try to evade you. 343 managed to make the superb Halo AI seem stupider than ever. The enemy AI needs a drastic overhaul for the large locales 343 wants to take us to.- The sandbox design forces players into frustrating environments that allow for minimal options of engagement. For example, in previous Halo games, players would constantly find themselves deciding what vehicle, which path,or what enemies to engage first. The design of the maps also always allowed the player to retreat if need be, and regroup and collect ammo or different weapons for the encounter ahead. In Halo 4, there are NUMEROUS instances where upon walking into a new, large open area filled with enemies, the door shuts immediately behind the player, cutting them off from any ammo or weapons they passed on the way. Furthermore, the sandbox gave the appearance of options, but on higher difficulties, it becomes clear that there is really only one way to engage the enemy in that location. Sometimes it would mean that the player was forced to hijack the ghost and kill everything in the area with a Ghost rather than using their cloak ability to take out surrounding elites or even bypass the enemy altogether or sneak to a nearby turret. This leads to frustration, more deaths, and sometimes reverting to a previous save if you found yourself lacking in weapons or ammo, something that previous Halo games NEVER forced the player to do. Halo 4 always dangled options in front of the player, but punished them for taking the chance to follow that lead. Examples include;- You walk into a door and see an elite moving towards a parked banshee. You act fast and make a move to take out the elite and hijack that banshee…which leads to constant immediate death because you are in the crossfire of dozens of enemies and the banshee is too far to make it without dying.- Your UNSC forces drop a Scorpion tank for you to use. Awesome! Too bad that you are immediately surrounded by plasma pistol wielding enemies that instantly render you worthless against the coming Wraiths.- You find yourself at a Warthog garage and take your pick of any of them parked in eager anticipation of your coming battle. Except wait, you don’t have a gunner like in previous games to help you take out the enemies. Instead, you are forced to park your Warthog at a far distance and engage the enemy yourself in the turret or to cover the large area by foot. Neither of which are fun experiences at all.These are just a few of the examples of the problems that Halo 4 has, that Halo 5 needs to address.

Well put, I totally agree. I lost interest in Halo 4, found it too much like Call of Duty. I appreciated the simplicity and strategy of earlier Halos and now only play Reach on occasion. I hope that they will go back to some of the foundations of what made Halo so great to begin with.

> 2535460576807553;2:
> Well put, I totally agree. I lost interest in Halo 4, found it too much like Call of Duty. I appreciated the simplicity and strategy of earlier Halos and now only play Reach on occasion. I hope that they will go back to some of the foundations of what made Halo so great to begin with.

I think from what little we’ve heard, we can have high hopes for the return to what made Halo great.

Bungie and 343i probably took out visible ranks after 3 because of the elitism it bred. Top players would trash talk anyone lower than them. I prefer visible ranks but as long as visible ranks are there, elitism will run rampant.

I just want the equipment stuff gone, Halo 2 to 3 was a hard transition for me because bubble shields, drainers, regens are just soo lame. Finally got used to it, then they put in jetpacks and armor lock. DONE. Just bring us back to old school halo 1-2 even 3 without the equipment, or make jetpacks and stuff map pick up only. Keep sprint if you want I could go either way with it.

> 2533274844635278;4:
> Bungie and 343i probably took out visible ranks after 3 because of the elitism it bred. Top players would trash talk anyone lower than them. I prefer visible ranks but as long as visible ranks are there, elitism will run rampant.

343 actually took out the ranking system because of the serious boosting problem they had with it.

In my opinion, the visible rank made the game competitive because it meant something to others that showed how good you were at the game. Elitism aside, in order for Halo to be competitive, they need to add visible ranks back into Halo to keep people coming back because the progression system just isn’t enough.

I really like Halo 4, overall, but I can’t help but to agree with many of your points. It could have been even better.

The one that is just insanely shocking to me is not showing the rank.

> 2533274892061674;6:
> > 2533274844635278;4:
> > Bungie and 343i probably took out visible ranks after 3 because of the elitism it bred. Top players would trash talk anyone lower than them. I prefer visible ranks but as long as visible ranks are there, elitism will run rampant.
>
>
> 343 actually took out the ranking system because of the serious boosting problem they had with it.
>
> In my opinion, the visible rank made the game competitive because it meant something to others that showed how good you were at the game. Elitism aside, in order for Halo to be competitive, they need to add visible ranks back into Halo to keep people coming back because the progression system just isn’t enough.

I should have remembered that. Boosting is a big problem, but Halo 3 had the longest online life of recent Halo games. Boosting and De-Rankers are the worst, but we may have to suffer them if we want Halo back.

> 2533274804898926;7:
> I really like Halo 4, overall, but I can’t help but to agree with many of your points. It could have been even better.
>
> The one that is just insanely shocking to me is not showing the rank.

I agree with you, there’s a lot of points here that are marked as a flaw on halo 4, wich in my opinion are great in the game, I think people should evolve as the game evolves, I mean sprint is not a con… is a pro… is a con for instance when you are playing reach and your victim escapes because of you not having sprint equiped and just walk to chase around people.

> 2533274861630297;9:
> > 2533274804898926;7:
> > I really like Halo 4, overall, but I can’t help but to agree with many of your points. It could have been even better.
> >
> > The one that is just insanely shocking to me is not showing the rank.
>
>
> I agree with you, there’s a lot of points here that are marked as a flaw on halo 4, wich in my opinion are great in the game, I think people should evolve as the game evolves, I mean sprint is not a con… is a pro… is a con for instance when you are playing reach and your victim escapes because of you not having sprint equiped and just walk to chase around people.

Did you read the campaign section of my post? There’s no way that’s the evolution of a game, so much as it is a poorly designed sandbox of a broken game. Sprint is whatever, I’m indifferent towards it.

> 2533274844635278;8:
> > 2533274892061674;6:
> > > 2533274844635278;4:
> > > Bungie and 343i probably took out visible ranks after 3 because of the elitism it bred. Top players would trash talk anyone lower than them. I prefer visible ranks but as long as visible ranks are there, elitism will run rampant.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > 343 actually took out the ranking system because of the serious boosting problem they had with it.
> >
> > In my opinion, the visible rank made the game competitive because it meant something to others that showed how good you were at the game. Elitism aside, in order for Halo to be competitive, they need to add visible ranks back into Halo to keep people coming back because the progression system just isn’t enough.
>
>
>
>
> I should have remembered that. Boosting is a big problem, but Halo 3 had the longest online life of recent Halo games. Boosting and De-Rankers are the worst, but we may have to suffer them if we want Halo back.

In respond to the bold parts:

IMO I’ve never understood that reason from them…so lame!..If you can’t take the trash talking or just don’t want to hear it, there’s this great feature that xbox has, it’s call MUTE! lol

Once again, IMO, I have never understood people saying boosting was a HUGE problem. Yes people boosted… but man, they make it sound like EVERYONE was boosting… honesty, who gives a flying F is 5% say of the players boosted. Anyone who says it was like 25% or something crazy, is full of it. Yes people made new accounts too, but then it was VERY easy to tell that there 50’s were fake when they have played like 50 games…once again, who cares!! I’m a legit Brigadier Grade 3 and proud of it. I put in a lot of hours and time into that game. I played 4000+ ranked matches in halo 3 (not in MLG, I’m not a MLG guy) and yes I saw people who were “50’s” that were CLEARLY not, but not very often…and to be honest, It was fun playing the boosters because they always talked a big game and then the just #$%@ the bed because they were just SO BAD!! lol

Boosting IMO wasn’t anywhere near as bad as what people think. The problem was kids always said someone boosted when they got beat by someone higher because in Halo 3, the only way to rank up was to WIN! the way it should be! None of this “showing up and getting rewarded” garbage that halo has become.

completely agree, especially on the starting campaign weapons part. Players should be challenged to find /pick up the good stuff with limited ammo.

I definitely agree on most of your parts. I do wish they would go back to the “old school” halo feel. I must admit though, I like the sprint ability in Halo 4.

I agree with all of your points, especially getting rid of sprint. Another thing I would add would be getting 100% rid of bloom in all it’s forms. Sniper shots shouldn’t bloom the crosshair out, even if it doesn’t effect the accuracy of the next shot. BR/DMR shouldn’t have bloom at all. If you want to nerf an unreasonably strong weapon back into a balanced state, either reduce the amount of damage it does or reduce it’s rate of fire. You could even give it a smaller clip or a longer reload time, etc. Bloom doesn’t do anything properly in terms of balance that can’t be done in a more precise way. It just adds the element of chance into a game where there never was such an element before.