Bring old Covenant look to Halo 5

Halo 4 campaign is one of my favorite campaigns evermade, i can put it along the other Halo campaigns and feel that it was an excelent job, 343i you nailed correctly the Forerunner easthetic, and the Prometheans are just badass, you managed to tell a dramatic history with a dude in PA and an AI as protagonist…And then you took the Covenant and ruined it :frowning:
Seriously, it seems like you didnt understood the Covenant at all, the first AND WORST of your mistakes is the dinosaur look of the Covenant, seriously they look like a bunch of space-age dinosaurs…its wrong in so many aspects… the Covenant was supposed to be union of different species from different planets, not a union of…dinosaurs. Their exo suits are also aesthetically wrong, the Grunts seem to have a gray suit like some 50’s alien, and the visors in the elites shield is clear…CLEAR, it should be yellow, thats basic Covenant aesthetic…
So, please PLEASE, FIX THE COVENANT FOR THE NEXT HALO, take Halo Reach and Halo 3 as references…EVERYTHING ELSE YOU DID WITH THE CAMPAIGN WAS PERFECT.
Thanks for your attention.

Ill just add a poll so you can see how many people wants the old Covenant back:

Yeah, the Covenant aesthetic was one of the weakest artistic aspects of Halo 4. Reach definitely had it down pat. My issue is that there was supposed to be an explanation for some of the changes, the Grunts especially, and yet none was given. It was just a change to make them look scary and thus easy to shoot. A shame, really, given the humanization and development of the Covenant, the Elites in particular. A proud warrior race that respects those who fight honorably and with fierce determination reduced to a race of babbling savages who couldn’t work a toaster and whose look reflects that.

Wheres the any of the above option since I liked aspects from each sonce they were altered to fit the story hence why H4s elites look like theyre not as well trained since theyre a splinter/ rebel group

It kind of seems like 343i’s Elites were biting their lips with how the new redesign looks… But I did like that they have tongues now, means more things make sense. And I like the new Grun redesign though…

I don’t know about anyone else but I kind of like that the Covenant was made more Saurian looking… Scientifically speaking it makes a lot of sense.

Ps. My favorite Covenant was the Halo Reach Elite Ultras, boy they looked good.

They also ditched the color ranks that they had.

I want the Halo 2 Covenant back. Seriously. The Jackals were really cool looking with beautiful pink eyes, the Grunts were absolutely adorable with big, dark button eyes, the Elites actually stood straight and looked noble and intimidating, and they didn’t have the unnecessarily elaborate armour introduced in Reach (with the exception of Councillors, who generally played a non-combat role until the Schism), and the Brutes looked like the ferocious, large, scary animals they were supposed to look like. Give those Brutes some more armour and a bit more intelligence while not touching their resistance or strength and let them keep their ODST Brute Plasma Rifles and Halo 2 Brute Shots, and you have the very terrifying, mini boss-like, overpowered enemy described in the books, unlike the absolute jokes they were in Reach.

The Drones and Hunters from ODST are probably the best in the series, I love the variety with the annoying red-shielded Drones and the cool Golden Hunters. I miss the freaky Hunter beam from Halo 2 and 3 as well. I liked the look of the ODST Engineers and I hope to see them in future games and I hope we find a (Halo 2-looking) Prophet still alive causing some mischief. Obviously these Covies would be subject to a dramatic graphical update, but there’s no reason to change anything else about their appearance (or behaviour, for that matter, other than minor tweaks to make them more interesting). Finally, it’d be nice for most of them to speak English again.

We are most likely going to be dealing with Storm Covies again, which have the worst armor, no, covie looking faction in any halo game to date.

Then again, Arby is bound to return, and Ireally hope they don’t change up his looks too much. The Covie appeal in Halo 4 was meant to be viscous looking, but for some reason, they couldn’t get the job done without making them look generic.

I’m hoping this current look is only limited to Jul 'Mdama’s faction.

If the Arbiter is in Halo 5, I’d love to see his forces using original, cleaner looking, more reliable Covenant era armor.

There’s some designs in 4 I love (Halo 4 Zealot oh man!) and some I can deal with (Jackals, I’d like a mix of Reach and 4’s Jackals) but the grunts, my god they are not grunts they are freaks, I would sort of like a mix of the old and new covenant though, because if Jul found the Didact, I highly doubt most of the old covenant have denounced their religion, so if Jul and the Didact went recruiting they could get more of the old covenant in

> There’s some designs in 4 I love (Halo 4 Zealot oh man!) and some I can deal with (Jackals, I’d like a mix of Reach and 4’s Jackals) <mark>but the grunts, my god they are not grunts they are freaks</mark>, I would sort of like a mix of the old and new covenant though, because if Jul found the Didact, I highly doubt most of the old covenant have denounced their religion, so if Jul and the Didact went recruiting they could get more of the old covenant in

They look like snapping turtles don’t they?

> There’s some designs in 4 I love (Halo 4 Zealot oh man!) and some I can deal with (Jackals, I’d like a mix of Reach and 4’s Jackals) but the grunts, my god they are not grunts they are freaks, I would sort of like a mix of the old and new covenant though, because if Jul found the Didact, <mark>I highly doubt most of the old covenant have denounced their religion</mark>, so if Jul and the Didact went recruiting they could get more of the old covenant in

A bit off-topic, but that is a bit false. It was really the San 'Shyuum, Sangheili and Jiralhanae who cared a lot about the faith itself, the others were bound to the Covenant by conquest (Drones, Hunters and Grunts) and wealth (Jackals). The Elites were even starting to have doubts, which is why Truth sough to exterminate them.

But instead we now have a fervent, fanatical race of aliens who seemed to forget everything that had happened in the years prior and they look the part too.

I have to agree with both OP and Cobra. I too hope the “original” Covenant returns in Halo 5. Along with the Elites, Grunts, Jackals, and Hunters in Halo 4, I hope the Brutes and Drones return which I think would make the game much more interesting and intense.

> > There’s some designs in 4 I love (Halo 4 Zealot oh man!) and some I can deal with (Jackals, I’d like a mix of Reach and 4’s Jackals) but the grunts, my god they are not grunts they are freaks, I would sort of like a mix of the old and new covenant though, because if Jul found the Didact, <mark>I highly doubt most of the old covenant have denounced their religion</mark>, so if Jul and the Didact went recruiting they could get more of the old covenant in
>
> A bit off-topic, but that is a bit false. It was really the San 'Shyuum, Sangheili and Jiralhanae who cared a lot about the faith itself, the others were bound to the Covenant by conquest (Drones, Hunters and Grunts) and wealth (Jackals). The Elites were even starting to have doubts, which is why Truth sough to exterminate them.
>
> But instead we now have a fervent, fanatical race of aliens who seemed to forget everything that had happened in the years prior and they look the part too.

They were never apart of the Covenant war right? So they had nothing to remember. This cult was founded by Jul and cut off from everything that was going on right? Unless the only heard from word of mouth, that being Jul.

> > There’s some designs in 4 I love (Halo 4 Zealot oh man!) and some I can deal with (Jackals, I’d like a mix of Reach and 4’s Jackals) but the grunts, my god they are not grunts they are freaks, I would sort of like a mix of the old and new covenant though, because if Jul found the Didact, <mark>I highly doubt most of the old covenant have denounced their religion</mark>, so if Jul and the Didact went recruiting they could get more of the old covenant in
>
> A bit off-topic, but that is a bit false. It was really the San 'Shyuum, Sangheili and Jiralhanae who cared a lot about the faith itself, the others were bound to the Covenant by conquest (Drones, Hunters and Grunts) and wealth (Jackals). The Elites were even starting to have doubts, which is why Truth sough to exterminate them.
>
> But instead we now have a fervent, fanatical race of aliens who seemed to forget everything that had happened in the years prior and they look the part too.

I don’t know, some of the races may of adopted the religion depending on how long they’ve been in the Covenant (can’t remember it’s late) I could see grunts at least starting to follow the Covenants faith, I could of been born Christian and accepted the faith, but equally could of denounced it, and I think the grunts have been in the Covenant for about 400 years (again I can’t remember too well) I wouldn’t say it’s not reasonable to believe a lot of them accepted it

> They were never apart of the Covenant war right? So they had nothing to remember. This cult was founded by Jul and cut off from everything that was going on right? Unless the only heard from word of mouth, that being Jul.

However, them not knowing is completely unrealistic. The Covenant masted instantaneous communication across the galaxy. The events of the Great Schism were broadcast throughout the Covenant. Within hours of the Schism breaking out, alliances and fleets were assembled for both sides. We know for a fact that the Elites that Jul initially met on the colony world of Hesduros had a means to communicate with Sangheilos.

With roaming bands of Covenant Loyalists led by the reminaing San 'Shyuum and their Brute puppets running around, how were they not warned by Sanghelios or by any of the sons they sent out to fight? Their entire species was a target for xenocide by the Brutes, for them not to know what has happened is ridiculous. 343i really made a lot of Halo 2 and Halo 3 meaningless just so we could fight Elites again.

> I don’t know, some of the races may of adopted the religion depending on how long they’ve been in the Covenant (can’t remember it’s late) I could see grunts at least starting to follow the Covenants faith, I could of been born Christian and accepted the faith, but equally could of denounced it, and I think the grunts have been in the Covenant for about 400 years (again I can’t remember too well) I wouldn’t say it’s not reasonable to believe a lot of them accepted it

I’m not saying NONE of them believed in the faith, but when you are on the lower rungs of a caste-based system…sometimes you really don’t give a -Yoink-.

The only problem i had with the covies new look was the main explanation was in the books. I felt abit lost with their look and why there was a splinter group, why they called themselves what they did and their look. I’ve been told alot of the info is in the books but the games should be able to stand alone and not need required reading.

Oh and bring back the grunts original sound and some more of their comedy relief aspects.

> Yeah, the Covenant aesthetic was one of the weakest artistic aspects of Halo 4. Reach definitely had it down pat. My issue is that there was supposed to be an explanation for some of the changes, the Grunts especially, and yet none was given. It was just a change to make them look scary and thus easy to shoot. A shame, really, given the humanization and development of the Covenant, the Elites in particular. A proud warrior race that respects those who fight honorably and with fierce determination reduced to a race of babbling savages who couldn’t work a toaster and whose look reflects that.

Actually, the Storm Faction not the Covenant is augmented which could make them bigger, uglier, in appearance.

> I have to agree with both OP and Cobra. I too hope the “original” Covenant returns in Halo 5. Along with the Elites, Grunts, Jackals, and Hunters in Halo 4, I hope the Brutes and Drones return which I think would make the game much more interesting and intense.

One the Brutes race were nearly destroyed by the Sangheili. Their is no more Covenant. The Covenant Remnant is an umbrella term for members of the former Covenant Empire who remain loyal to the hegemony’s ideals in the wake of the Human-Covenant war, the Great Schism, and the disappearance of the San 'Shyuum. The de facto leader of the remnant’s main body is Jul 'Mdama.

> > Yeah, the Covenant aesthetic was one of the weakest artistic aspects of Halo 4. Reach definitely had it down pat. My issue is that there was supposed to be an explanation for some of the changes, the Grunts especially, and yet none was given. It was just a change to make them look scary and thus easy to shoot. A shame, really, given the humanization and development of the Covenant, the Elites in particular. A proud warrior race that respects those who fight honorably and with fierce determination reduced to a race of babbling savages who couldn’t work a toaster and whose look reflects that.
>
>
>
> Actually, the Storm Faction not the Covenant is augmented which could make them bigger, uglier, in appearance.

Who said they were augmented? I recall no official source saying that. Neither is the name Storm official either.

> 343i really made a lot of Halo 2 and Halo 3 meaningless just so we could fight Elites again.

Quoted for emphasis.

Seriously, if they wanted Elites as enemies, they should have done what I thought the were going to do in the first place:

-As of 2557 war against Brutes, San 'Shyuum, and other client races not going so well-essentially its a stalemate.
-UNSC (who are still bitter over the Great War) provide little support and are content to watch the aliens slaughter each other.
-ONI, who want both sides of the conflict destroyed, does something that doesn’t effect the greater Elite populous as a whole, but one clan/region takes it very seriously.
-Said sub-faction (with their subjugated client races) goes to Requiem, looking for the great Forerunner general to lead their race to victory against the Remanent and the UNSC.
-The events of Halo 4 play out the same, only the previous canon isn’t trampled on.

What we got just felt so… tacked on and slipshod.